Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request: 1 day early access for character creation

buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70
Pre-launch character creation access has occured with other games and it was a huge success. I wish Arenanet would consider this as it allows one to take ample time  to create their character and  hit the ground running when the servers come up on the 25th.

Comments

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236
    kinda asking alot for a headstart for the headstart
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    yeah thres already early access and thats the 25th, laucnh day is 28th. So yes you can get a head start on ur character creation
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I remember Earth and Beyond did this, you could create Toons and save profiles to share with friends and then when the game launched you just had to log in. It was brilliant.
    Something cool I'd like to see other MMOs do.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    The whole point of headstarts is to secure character names.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    The whole point of headstarts is to secure character names.

I think it is also to have the players spread out more, so not every one is playing in the starter areas at the same time

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Its a great idea. I would even go as far as allowing us unlimited access to the character creator to mess around and get our perfect character ready to go for launch.

Unfortunately, I think its a bit too late in the process for this to be a reality with GW2 :(

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    I wish that there wasn't a pre character creation headstart. That would be even worse. Wher it stands right now is perfect.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I wish we could have kept our characters but just lost the progress. Had some cool looks I will probably drive myself crazy trying to recreate exactly. It's all good though and I'm sure that's probably more complicated than it sounds. Don't think we need early early access though.
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Let's be honest. Most people that are going to play GW 2 at launch will participate in the head start. It's just a silly marketing trick to make people think there're "special". As for "early access for character creation", I honestly don't see the point. It'd just make the servers less stable if everyone logged on at the same time, while if they'r'e busy creating characters at least it'll spread more evenly.
  • illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

yeah i would like this one too, since i dont want to rush the char customization for fear that someone with get my one-word name, ending up with a toon with a look taht i wont like
    but since ANET never talked abt this feature this close to launch, i doubt that this will be included. this should have been heavily requested for ANET to put it in the nice-to-have list

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

Originally posted by illyana

yeah i would like this one too, since i dont want to rush the char customization for fear that someone with get my one-word name, ending up with a toon with a look taht i wont like
    but since ANET never talked abt this feature this close to launch, i doubt that this will be included. this should have been heavily requested for ANET to put it in the nice-to-have list

And what would stop somebody from taking your name even if there was an early access to creating characters?

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

No need to fear, if you create a character and then delete him you reserve the name for 24 hours. So you can create 5 characters by "skipping" during character creation in order to reserve the names, then delete them and re-create them "normally" taking as much time as you want

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Also don't quote me on that, but from what I heard you can reserve your name for 24 hours just by creating any character with it, like aparently it was in GW 1. After that you just delete the character, make a new one, and make him the way you like it.

• Kawi1Kawi1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I'm gonna say no to this idea for a couple of reasons.

1st is....what's the rush? Really...the game, baddies, hearts, exploration, etc....will still all be there. Nobody has to worry about being the 'first' in anything.

2nd is...where do we stop? As it stands now, if you pre-purchased you get 3 extra days. Also, I believe that if you pre-order you get one day extra (please correct me if I'm wrong). If we keep asking for stuff to happen earlier and earlier then there might come a day when a game is never really released and a 'working' build is thrust upon us in which the updates we've come to expect don't fix or balance things but instead....make the game before our eyes. And we think games are released early now as it is.

Naw this is fine for me. I got my 3 days. I've waited this long already...a little longer won't hurt.

Originally posted by seridan

No need to fear, if you create a character and then delete him you reserve the name for 24 hours. So you can create 5 characters by "skipping" during character creation in order to reserve the names, then delete them and re-create them "normally" taking as much time as you want

Lol. Beat me to it. :) Glad you confirmed it for me, I wasn't 100% sure.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by ionxeel

Also don't quote me on that, but from what I heard you can reserve your name for 24 hours just by creating any character with it, like aparently it was in GW 1. After that you just delete the character, make a new one, and make him the way you like it.

"Character names will be reserved for reuse for 24 hours after deleting a character."

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character_creation

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by illyana yeah i would like this one too, since i dont want to rush the char customization for fear that someone with get my one-word name, ending up with a toon with a look taht i wont like but since ANET never talked abt this feature this close to launch, i doubt that this will be included. this should have been heavily requested for ANET to put it in the nice-to-have list

oh thats a good idea! i didnt know that there was such a feature, or a loophole for that matter... hmmm maybe thats how people beat me to some popular names i would like to use O_o

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max