Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax Matt Firor latest interview......TESO is an online RPG

12346»

Comments

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by iceman00

Care to try again?

Try again what? My point still stands - Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are strong in sales on consoles, not PC platform.

PC platform is just minor customer base of their overall sales.

That's 1.2 to 1.3 million users who are the BASE. 

So that is 1.3M Skyrim player base compared to 20M MMO customer base...

none of this matters. TES fans are not console or PC players they are TES players. That is where this is such a massive fail on so many levels. If Zenimax truely are taking this warped view of things then they really need to be out of the industry. Again, we are TES fans NOT PC or Console fans.

An example of that is sports cars. Sport car fans who drive on the freeway in traffic are not freeway traffic fans now are they?

I think that's pretty true.

I played Daggerfall to Oblivion on PC just because I always had a nice gaming machine made. I picked up Skyrim on the XBox just because I anticipated a more action game feel and can't say I've been disappointed with it (I hate missing out on the mods, but my PC with a 6800 GTX still runs well so I can't bring myself to invest in a new computer just yet).

It was a fun Elder Scrolls game. 

The 2002-2004 model of MMORPG is NOT a fun Elder Scrolls game.

Public dungeons, phasing, instances, this and that aside. I just hate the direction they've boasted about with the game.

People say wait for more information.. What more info do you need? Tab target, class based, forced factions, phased, level grind MMO. We've seen it a few dozen times over now and you'd think Zeni would get their heads out of their asses and see the chance to buck the trend.

You know Blizzard isn't looking to make a WoW-clone.

SO why would any other triple A publisher even attempt it?

a yo ho ho

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by 3-4thElf

SO why would any other triple A publisher even attempt it?

Because the post what you were replying to isn't "pretty true".

Read my posts above and you will find the answer.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by ste2000

I

Yet, Bethesda (which owns Zenimax Online) is not EA which push any piece of crap as soon as possible to meet investors deadlines

Bethesda is more like Blizzard which famous motto is "we release it when it is done"

So I actually expect the game to be pushed back a couple of years, and sure I will be waiting.

Zenimax Online is owned by Zenimax Media.

Bethesda is also owned by Zenimax Media.

Bethesda has NOTHING to do with TESO.

a few fact checks help before making threads with misconceptions. too many people don't understand that this game has NOTHING to do with Bethesda or any TESO game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    OP: Diablo 3 is not a RPG, it is an action game or a hack and slash game. 
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

RPG

like Real Piece of Garbage? i believe it.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Diablo 3 is an action role-playing videogame. I am not sure why that would ever be in question.
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Care to try again?

Try again what? My point still stands - Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are strong in sales on consoles, not PC platform.

PC platform is just minor customer base of their overall sales.

That's 1.2 to 1.3 million users who are the BASE. 

So that is 1.3M Skyrim player base compared to 20M MMO customer base...

You said that Bethesda had Skyrim's sales as 90% on consoles.  Except the quote came out before Skyrim launched, and really had no hard figures.  So yeah, other than lacking evidence and a wrong timeframe, your quote was accurate?  When a game sells millions of units on a platform (anywhere from 2 million up) you really can't talk about a "minor" part of a sales base and expect to be taken credibly.  Minor yes, but its still pretty freaking big.

Like I said, care to try again?

My only point on "pc or console users" was more a theorycraft argument.  Using your own numbers, you've got a natural audience of 1.3 million PC users.  the number is higher.  My only point is, that's a very strong base of a game to work with.  Say half the TES fans don't play, that is still 750k.  That's 250k higher than EA's worst predictions that they could remain profitable..... on a 300-500 million dollar budget.  I'm guessing TES won't even be in the 150 range.  In other words, a ton of freaking money, and Zenimax is a fool for not trying to hook this base early.

Then again, you were a fanboi of TOR, and viewed the game as financially successful.  You've basically lost all credibility in any argument about financials in MMOs for at least the next 5 years.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    This game has Warhammer Online written all over it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I'd venture to guess they sell a million boxes just because of the IP alone and its success over the years...... It doesn't hurt taht Skyrim was so good either.....Unfortunately that is going to be the standard that TESO is measured by though and it will surely be found lacking.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

How hard can it be to take one of their existing, wildly successful, game's (Skyrim) and turn it into an MMORPG?

Apparently really hard because they seem to do nothing like it. Don't get why it is though.

You said that Bethesda had Skyrim's sales as 90% on consoles.  Except the quote came out before Skyrim launched, and really had no hard figures.  So yeah, other than lacking evidence and a wrong timeframe, your quote was accurate? 

Yes, it is my bad, apparently it was not for Skyrim specifically but whole franchise.

Does not change my point tho and makes you rumbling pointlessly only.

You have some issues with concept of "potential customer base", not the same as "actual customer base".

Can't even say nice try since you were not able to make any point apart from pointing out my inaccuracy.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Give me beta

I will give them hell.

If it's awesome I will eat my words.

But yeah, throwing IP on tired game play doesn't equal win. Unless win is having 250k subs to them. Then sure they can take all their little sheeps and go rot together. While I wait for the next Elder Scrolls game that hopefully grows from what was strong in Skyrim and add some more of that classic TES sim mechanics back into the game.

Sadly TESO itself, has caused any elder scrolls game to be put on the back burner for the time being. If TESo fails as badly as most of us suspect. Further elder scrolls games will be put off even further as marketing will say any failure from TESO will also happen in ELDer scroll single player games. Yes i know it doesn't make sense but then marketing is all about current opinion (flavor of the month) , and numbers not sense

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    jesus you all will never ever ever be happy  with anything  ever.  i been saying since daggerfall if only these games could be online  now if they go and mess with the combat system they shurly will fail  but if they dont they will  be great your ignorence and opionons are limited to what you desire and you alone
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by nilden

/meh

OMG I love this image!

This pic was like the ultimate derail for me lol, everything i was seriously contemplating went straight on out the window. I proceeded to google image it to see if it was part of an anime, lmfao. +10 Internets to your skillz good sir.

Some off topics need to be rewarded lol.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

You said that Bethesda had Skyrim's sales as 90% on consoles.  Except the quote came out before Skyrim launched, and really had no hard figures.  So yeah, other than lacking evidence and a wrong timeframe, your quote was accurate? 

Yes, it is my bad, apparently it was not for Skyrim specifically but whole franchise.

Does not change my point tho and makes you rumbling pointlessly only.

You have some issues with concept of "potential customer base", not the same as "actual customer base".

Can't even say nice try since you were not able to make any point apart from pointing out my inaccuracy.

Your inaccuracy basically made your entire point false though.  Why waste my time firing off 4 bullets when firing one does the trick?

I have no problem with potential versus actual.  1.3 million is a potential base, and a pretty strong one at that.  Then you add in the fact (as I already did) that Elder scrolls players are pretty devout.  then further add in the fact (as I already did), that on the PC, those players are even more devout, given how people respond to the modding community.

So give them a game set in the Elder Scrolls Lore with a lot of Elder Scrolls features, and I think its perfectly reasonable to have an initial base of half of the number of Skyrim players who are going to check this thing out.  750k is a pretty solid number to start with right out the gate.  That diehard base is bigger than TOR's, without the massive budget.

/winwin

Your inaccuracy basically made your entire point false though.

Too bad you cannot support your claim...

You hear from Bethesda that 90% of their customers(including Skyrim) are console players.

So when we take your funny math for 750k PC "die hards", you get 9 times more, 6.75M console "die hards", which makes your point not only moot but also ridiculous...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

You hear from Bethesda that 90% of their customers(including Skyrim) are console players.

So when we take your funny math for 750k PC "die hards", you get 9 times more, 6.75M console "die hards", which makes your point not only moot but also ridiculous...

the real bottom line is that 100% of TES fans are fans of TES. It doesnt matter what machine its played on. That is the whole failure of understanding here. Its not like 'oh well its a PC game thus the game should be completely different from any TES experience ever created'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Tatercake
    jesus you all will never ever ever be happy  with anything  ever.  i been saying since daggerfall if only these games could be online  now if they go and mess with the combat system they shurly will fail  but if they dont they will  be great your ignorence and opionons are limited to what you desire and you alone

I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is they didn't mess with the combat system.

The bad news is they abandoned it completely in favor of typical MMORPG hotbar cooldowns.

And this is the logic that went behind TOR... a game which you also thought was great and did gangbusters.  People who really don't know jack about the MMO world or their fanbase, and they suffer for it.

Considering that again you basically had to concede you were pulling numbers out of thin air (you've got no numbers that 90% of skyrim players are consoles, and even if you did, it is irrelevant to the MMO world), keep trying to spin it all you want.

I'm confident that they will listen to you, like they listened to your kind for TOR.  How did that work out?

Considering that again you basically had to concede you were pulling numbers out of thin air (you've got no numbers that 90% of skyrim players are consoles, and even if you did, it is irrelevant to the MMO world), keep trying to spin it all you want.

Bethesda reporting 90% total sales consisting of consoles sales is something pulled out of thin air...?

Just because you wear a pair of blind folders and ignore something does not make it irrelevant.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Bethesda reporting 90% total sales consisting of consoles sales is something pulled out of thin air...?

Just because you wear a pair of blind folders and ignore something does not make it irrelevant.

Well.. There were over 5 million players of Skyrim on Steam at it's peak. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-04-steam-shoots-over-5-million-concurrent-users-mark So.. 90% is a stretch. But I think a great deal of players enjoyed the game on consoles.

a yo ho ho

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol at the ops comparison to swtor

Just about everything the devs have said suggests its daoc2 in a tes skin - rvr endgame, separate pve for each faction, crafted gear as good as loot, open dungeons

with elements of gw2 - arena pvp, the story thing your harping on about (like tes games don't have a main questline and faction questlines), limited skill selection from pool, weapeon swap changing skills, semi action combat, pve events

Well.. There were over 5 million players of Skyrim on Steam at it's peak. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-04-steam-shoots-over-5-million-concurrent-users-mark So.. 90% is a stretch. But I think a great deal of players enjoyed the game on consoles.

5M user peak on Steam, not Skyrim players.

Actual player peak is here:

86,074 Team Fortress 2
    71,310 Dota 2
    52,596 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    34,433 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It is no stretch. Console market is much bigger than PC market thus it only make sense you get stronger sales on console platform.