Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On Choosing home server and how GUESTING works ?

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Choosing right server in GW2 will be of utermost importance.

You must create all characters on this server - and you can basically never change it for $Free.

Consideration -

• Your chosen server is your WWW server.
  • Less populated server means less queues
  • More populated server means higher chances one being on winning side.
  • Being on server that constantly looses in WWW will make you rue your decision to join it
  • Game population declines over time
  • You can guest on other server for PVE

So here are my thoughts.

I wanted to choose Server roleplaying community have chosen. And I want server with less queues.

BUT

Roleplayers are usually less interested in PVP which can make it always loosing WWW server. And less queue might turn into small population over time - again WWW is hurt.

You can guest in PVE. Meaning for sake of PVE and roleplaying , you can always guest on server.

But guesting and how it will work is still unclear.
  1. Anet blog says you can guest on any server you have friends on. Does it mean you need to have someone on friends list from that server ?
  2. Can you be in a guild on a guested server ?
  3. Is it possible to play regularly PVP on guested server , and use your main only for PVP/WWW

So dear friends, what is your stand on this ?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I will chose the 2nd largest German server. I rather have queues that being on a server which always loses in WvW. I'd love to roleplay, but something tells me RP is out of fashion anywhere, or I could "guest" on an RP server if I want to. So for me size is the most important thing. I rather have a bit lag and queues at first than being on some tiny server.

No clue how Guesting works, though, that's something I'd like to know too.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Back in WOW, I accidentally found myself on an unofficial Italian server with one of my characters. I learnt quite a bit of useful Italian there. :) So maybe this time, I should just straight up pick a Euro server where the "unofficial" primary language interests me. I don't know, like Russian?

At least you have no idea what insults you're being subjected to as a noob on the server, and then when you can understand what people are saying, at least you've learnt quite a bit of some foreign language. Looks win-win to me! :)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I was stuck on a spanish speaking server for beta, and could not work out how to change. There was no indication it was a spanish server on server choice, and once in I was unable to communicate with people as I was ignored when speaking English.

I appeared to be stuck on that server for the entirity of the beta and it was not fun. So, word of warning - do some research first, unlike me who just chose a "fun sounding server name" lol

(disclaimer: I have nothing against the spanish or those who do not speak english, its just hard to participate and make friends when no one speaks your language.)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by solarine

Back in WOW, I accidentally found myself on an unofficial Italian server with one of my characters. I learnt quite a bit of useful Italian there. :) So maybe this time, I should just straight up pick a Euro server where the "unofficial" primary language interests me. I don't know, like Russian?

At least you have no idea what insults you're being subjected to as a noob on the server, and then when you can understand what people are saying, at least you've learnt quite a bit of some foreign language. Looks win-win to me! :)

Ugh... another important choice for us Europeans.

Any idea how to know what servers are unnoficial russian,italian,hungarian ...etc

I want english speaking european server ;)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Maybe I should join seafarers rest since most guilds there are English PvX. And then visit underworld for pve.

I like the underworld name alot. But looks like a pve server to me
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Maybe I should join seafarers rest since most guilds there are English PvX. And then visit underworld for pve.

Underworld is the unofficlal Portuguese server.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Choosing right server in GW2 will be of utermost importance.

You must create all characters on this server - and you can basically never change it for $Free.

Consideration -

• Your chosen server is your WWW server.
    • Less populated server means less queues
    • More populated server means higher chances one being on winning side.
    • Being on server that constantly looses in WWW will make you rue your decision to join it
    • Game population declines over time
    • You can guest on other server for PVE

So here are my thoughts.

I wanted to choose Server roleplaying community have chosen. And I want server with less queues.

BUT

Roleplayers are usually less interested in PVP which can make it always loosing WWW server. And less queue might turn into small population over time - again WWW is hurt.

You can guest in PVE. Meaning for sake of PVE and roleplaying , you can always guest on server.

But guesting and how it will work is still unclear.
    1. Anet blog says you can guest on any server you have friends on. Does it mean you need to have someone on friends list from that server ?
    2. Can you be in a guild on a guested server ?
    3. Is it possible to play regularly PVP on guested server , and use your main only for PVP/WWW

So dear friends, what is your stand on this ?

http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers

gandara looks like a good choice

Originally posted by Istavaan

http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers

gandara looks like a good choice

Yes, I am between Desolation and Gandara... probably best choices.
     Both English , both heavy PVP.

Desolation looks like it wil be most populated though. So Gandara might be populated enough, without having queues

@vannor not according to gw2guilds.

Well, maybe I should just go far shiverpeaks scandinavia server. I just hate if people talks Danish, swedish, etc in general chat and not English >:(
  • MarajhaMarajha Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Vannor

Underworld is the unofficlal Portuguese server.

Are you sure about that? As a portuguese i was interested in knowing where all the portuguese guilds would end, do you know where i can get some information on which guilds go there?

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Well, maybe I should just go far shiverpeaks scandinavia server. I just hate if people talks Danish, swedish, etc in general chat and not English >:(

We talk english in general chat. Far Shiverpeaks is also the home for many dutch guilds.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I played on it during the beta and there were no such problem then at least.

It is kinda rude not to use the official server language in an open chat.  Then again, GW2 have no general chat, just local so I might have missed a lot. 

In guildchat on the other hand anything is allowed that is fine with the officers.

But I'm Danish :P

How good we're you in WvW?
    So on local people talks English?

And how well was far shiverpeaks in WvW events?
    Originally posted by Loke666

I played on it during the beta and there were no such problem then at least.

It is kinda rude not to use the official server language in an open chat.  Then again, GW2 have no general chat, just local so I might have missed a lot. 

In guildchat on the other hand anything is allowed that is fine with the officers.

Rude ?

That never stoped people on interwebz

My experience (not from GW2) is that people will talk any language if there is enough people that speak it on the server.

So in rift I was on server where russian was usual in general chat. Or polish.

Or in LOTRO had spanish ... etc

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Yes you need to have someone on your friends list, and then you can Guest with them on their server or vice versa.

When Guested onto another server you may do everything on that server as if it was your server except sPvP, WvWvW, or interact with the Tradehouse.

Guilds are account wide, so what server your on doesnt interfer with your Guild, you can still talk with them, also note that in Guild Wars 2 you can be part of multiple guilds and so you could join a guild on another server if you wanted, Guilds are not server locked like prior games.

That beind said I want to address your first points

Your chosen server is your WWW server. True

Less populated server means less queues. For sPvP yes longer this means que's, for WvWvW this means shorter que's

More populated server means higher chances one being on winning side. False, population will not dictate success in WvW or sPvP.

Being on server that constantly looses in WWW will make you rue your decision to join it. False, if matched against servers who stomp you, the next WvWvW match ups will take this into consideration and match you with more equally matched servers. Losers fight Losers, Winners fight Winners.

Game population declines over time. True

You can guest on other server for PVE. True

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

I just fear that since shiverpeaks are both Scandinavia AND Dutch, 80% will talk duty either in local, de chat and also just expect that you know Dutch