Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If raiding is so great.....

For a while now, there has been a lot of talk about endgame aspects of certain games.  One of the things that is talked about most is the lack of raiding for gear, etc. in some games and how disappointed some people are in not having raids to do.  The people who complain about lack of raiding also seem to want people to think that the majority of gamers like raiding (because the most populated MMOs have it in their endgame).

This leads me to the question:   If raiding was so awesome for so many people, why aren't there highly popluar games out there that are only about raiding?  Instead of having to go through all the lame story and leveling to get to the fun part, why not just have games that skip all that?  Where the only thing you do is raid for better gear, in order to progress your character, and maybe have some crafting, etc. on the side for during the "down time" or queue time.

Would you play a game that was set up properly (in your opinion), that only included raiding for gearpower progression, possibly skill progression, and a few side options for the down time?

Edit:  This idea of raid only game doesn't necessarily preclude PvP style gaming.  I didn't consider it a necessary component to the question as not everyone who likes raiding likes PvP.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    No ty, I don't care about story and lore, and I don't care for raiding in a game again. I'd much rather have pure RvR/WvsWvsW games to play over any type of pve gear grind raiding.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• XenogosXenogos Member Posts: 8
    50/50 as I am posting this. The slaying of an epic monster as a group is fun. Killing players is more fun. Leveling up is lame most of the time. I think games should have Pve Raids but It should be a part of the game and not the game.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    If you didn't have to go through all the game to get to end game how would they get your monthly subscription money...

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by stayBlind
    If you didn't have to go through all the game to get to end game how would they get your monthly subscription money...

The same way they currently get your money.   Charge you a subscription to play a raid only game.  A company doesn't necessarily need a story line in order to charge you money to play a game.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

assuming there were various kinds of raids, and tons of them, yes I would. absolutely.

but no I wouldn't play Rift it all it had were the raids that Rift has. Of course .. I don't play Rift .. but you get the idea.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Xenogos
    50/50 as I am posting this. The slaying of an epic monster as a group is fun. Killing players is more fun. Leveling up is lame most of the time. I think games should have Pve Raids but It should be a part of the game and not the game.

I agree, but you don't need raiding at all for that.

I don't disagree with that statement at all.  In fact, putting raids in throughout the storyline of the game would probably be pretty cool.  The problem seems to be that once you get through the leveling process, all you have left in most games (besides PvP) are raids.

I also agree that leveling up is lame....if the whole purpose of leveling in the game is so you can run raids.  Hence, my raid only question.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Roll a character and go straight into endgame.  Voted yes, but in thinking about it... I'd have to say maybe.

I like progression.  I'm not in love with gear progression as the sole means for developing a character.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

I think that if casual pvp players just want to go pvp in arenas directly, they should stop playing themeparks and go play CoD or Battlefield where you just skip the single player campaign if you want and play the multiplayer content, the only difference between CoD-BF multiplayer and themepark pvp is that you control solders, the rest is the same: instanced pvp with no consequences just for fun. You don't need to complete the single player campaing as you need to do in themeparks, following quests and and only reaching the level cap 3 days later to be able to enjoy your arenas.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Would get too boring, too quick. Need to have some leveling progression; and other aspects of the game to play. If WoW didn't have the PvP and dungeons, and ONLY had raiding -- it wouldn't be nearly as popular.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    An only raiding MMO? I'd never play that at all! Heck, I'm close to hitting 85 with my char in WoW (yeah, finally...), and when I've done all raids available a couple of  times, I'd most likely quit WOW completely. I don't want to do the same thing over & over again like riding some treadmill. I'd rather hop to the next game (GW2 due for release) and wait for some very good Lineage II alike MMO to come out soon (ArcheAge comes to mind...), where there is no end-game centered on raiding, but more on cooperation and USEFUL PvP.
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

I'm going to say, negative. I can only raid so many times without beating my head open like an egg. Especially as a tank.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is possible that a game like that actually could work, I don´t see it as the next potential Wow but maybe the next LOTRO...

But the reason that raids is fun is because they are social content. Social content is fun because the reason most people play MMOs is to play together with others.

The bad thing about raids on the other hand is that it is very repetetive content. And it doesn´t help the least that a raidboss is very predictable to anyone who fought him before, there is a right way and you win by doing it.

So while raids is a possible endgame in regular MMOs I think a 100% raid game would need bosses that acts more random and smarter or people would tire pretty fast.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by evolver1972

This leads me to the question:   If raiding was so awesome for so many people, why aren't there highly popluar games out there that are only about raiding?  Instead of having to go through all the lame story and leveling to get to the fun part, why not just have games that skip all that?  Where the only thing you do is raid for better gear, in order to progress your character, and maybe have some crafting, etc. on the side for during the "down time" or queue time.

So, sort of like GW1 with more people in each group?  Sounds insanely boring.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by stayBlind

The same way they currently get your money.   Charge you a subscription to play a raid only game.  A company doesn't necessarily need a story line in order to charge you money to play a game.

What sub? More and more MMOs are F2P. I don't expect any sub games in a year or so, except may be WOW.

Originally posted by Prenho

I think that if casual pvp players just want to go pvp in arenas directly, they should stop playing themeparks and go play CoD or Battlefield where you just skip the single player campaign if you want and play the multiplayer content, the only difference between CoD-BF multiplayer and themepark pvp is that you control solders, the rest is the same: instanced pvp with no consequences just for fun. You don't need to complete the single player campaing as you need to do in themeparks, following quests and and only reaching the level cap 3 days later to be able to enjoy your arenas.

Well, the combat mechanics is totally difference .. that is the draw of the game. Otherwise, COD will be the same game as LOL.

But you suggestion is good, have many classes, with similar tactical RPG combat mechanics, and get rid of the themepark. That is why LOL is so popular.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I voted yes but raids aren't a big thing to me, however, if you did it in such a fashion as to have players reach a point after finishing one raid, where they could socialize, regroup and progress through the next raid (like GW mission system but with raids) then I could see it being fairly fun. So yeah, if the price was right.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

The thing is why can't a game have everything.

Why does it have to be limited by only "xxx".

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by laokoko

Most MMO developers stink at creating everything. It's either half-assed/half heartedly added in to placate the people looking for the perfect MMO, or just has nothing to do with the original vision of the game. Now if they were any good at adding it in, or started off small and expanded outwards, then it probably wouldn't be an issue.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

There can be both. There are already several games that have everything, personally I wouldn't play a game that had only raiding and not leveling to go with it, but I bet there are people that would. There's room for both everything and limited to one thing kind of games

Heck, look at the MOBA games. Real Time Strategy games had been around for a while, even with heroes, and someone decided to do a more limited version with only the heroes, no base building or unit creation... and turned out to be succesful enough that it's now considered its own genre with lots of games on that style.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by L0C0Man

There can be both. There are already several games that have everything, personally I wouldn't play a game that had only raiding and not leveling to go with it, but I bet there are people that would. There's room for both everything and limited to one thing kind of games

Heck, look at the MOBA games. Real Time Strategy games had been around for a while, even with heroes, and someone decided to do a more limited version with only the heroes, no base building or unit creation... and turned out to be succesful enough that it's now considered its own genre with lots of games on that style.

I think the lesson is that sometimes being focus is good. There are many examples.

MOBA is one.

Diablo is another. Before Diablo, RPGs have stories, and lots of other stuff. Diablo sheds everything else but a) combat, and b) progression (item + level), and becomes a huge success.

More is not always better. Doing some aspect of a game very well, sometimes is preferably than having everything particularly when there is a limited pool of resources to implement.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Roll a character and go straight into endgame.  Voted yes, but in thinking about it... I'd have to say maybe.

It's interesting to see how many posters here are voting in favor of an instanced lobby game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I don't mind lore .. However I can do without a story.. I don't like reliving a pre-set story, I want to make my own as I play the game..   And Raiding.. OMG.. I can so do without the current gear grind hamster wheel raid system..  If a game has it, I won't even bother playing the game.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

We have games close to that now.

large scale modern FPS are just PvP raids that only have PvP raids.  Co-op in games is becoming more popular.

Yes, I think there will be a time where we see co-op games with "raid" type numbers in PVE only gameplay.  I don't know if they will charge a monthly fee or not, but I can see that outcome. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by MMOman101

We have games close to that now.

large scale modern FPS are just PvP raids that only have PvP raids.  Co-op in games is becoming more popular.

Yes, I think there will be a time where we see co-op games with "raid" type numbers in PVE only gameplay.  I don't know if they will charge a monthly fee or not, but I can see that outcome. 

U know I would'nt be surprised if the people wanting raiding to be the only relevant thing in the game don't consider these raids because they aren't at the "end" of the game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

U know I would'nt be surprised if the people wanting raiding to be the only relevant thing in the game don't consider these raids because they aren't at the "end" of the game.

THat is a very bizarre but very plausible scenario. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre