Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 hour Stress Test on Aug. 12th

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'll be logging in. Everyone who can should. Don't you want all the kinks to be fixed for launch? Login and help make it a better game. Help them now, help yourself later.

If I get to see how the game looks without post processing enabled (as seen in another thread) I'll be happy enough.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Nice! got my new gfx card installed yesterday. I'm willing to help Anet test their servers as long as I get some time in game to see how my new card compares :)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Nailzzz
         As much as i love this game i just cant see a mere 1 hr to play as being worth bothering with. Especially since tbh it isnt likely we will even get 1 hr out of it given the expected log in issues. I mean realistically i dont see what will likely turn out to be 1/2 hr of game time as a worthwhile invesment of my time given that thier isnt alot you can accomplish in such a short time.

Its a test, its not for your amusement, its for making this game even better.  This sounds a little selfish

If i really thought my one log in would make a significant difference, i may be more inclined but i find that rather unlikely. Besides, to asume that most people arent selfish is pretty naive. If you want lots of people to log in, you need to give people an incentive to do so. A half hour to 45 mins isnt alot of incentive for people to go out of thier way to make time to participate.

You may not agree with the reason for why people do what they do, but the fact is people respond better when apealing to thier self interest. If Arenanet was smart they would take advantage of that for everyone's own good. If you expect people to make choices based on altruistic intentions, you are going to go through life incredibly dissapointed and bitter from the constant let downs. Fact is people suck. The way i see it is if Arenanet seriously really needed tons of people to log in for this, they would have given an incentive to do so.

I dont think The people who made this decision were idiots. I just think they dont actually want as many people logging in as during the previous stress tests and im sure they know this is an excellent way to ensure they dont have quite as big a pool of players. They must be testing something incrementally. So i will be one of the people who respects thier decision and bows out from this one.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Nailzzz
         As much as i love this game i just cant see a mere 1 hr to play as being worth bothering with. Especially since tbh it isnt likely we will even get 1 hr out of it given the expected log in issues. I mean realistically i dont see what will likely turn out to be 1/2 hr of game time as a worthwhile invesment of my time given that thier isnt alot you can accomplish in such a short time.

Its a test, its not for your amusement, its for making this game even better.  This sounds a little selfish

Well, we are paying customers, not paid employees of ArenaNet. Not participating in what will basically amount to staring at the login screen for 40-50 minutes on a Sunday at an unconvenient time for many people is perfectly fine. We've got our own stuff to take care of, ya know.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Although it is very early in the morning for me (3:30am), I'll wake up and log in.  Mainly because I want to see how the game is running on my new PC and smooth out any niggles prior to launch.  If we get the full hour that will be good... if there are login issues... well that just makes it more likely that there will be another stress test doesn't it.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    I am more than glad to help out because anets stress tests are the real deal in order to make a better game and have a smoother launch experience its not being done to give us our much needed crack fixes or as a preview of the game..

Playing GW2..

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    1 hour time to test guardin class^^
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Pro:  I finally get to partake in a stress test when I am off work. image

Con: Its for only one hour. image

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76
    5pm for GMT, right?
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Serin101
    I think this test is meant for simulating how they will handle logins on launch day.

Agreed. Considering D3's debacled launch and the kind of backlash Blizzard endured, I'm certain and glad that Anet is taking GW2's launch very serious.

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by seridan
    http://gw2status.com/

Thanks, that's good to have. :)

The fact that ANet continues to run these stress tests is a good sign for a smooth launch IMO.

It means they know things still arent quite right, and they are trying to fix them BEFORE launch so that launch day is smooth. I suspect that we will continue to see these stress tests until ANet are happy that their servers can handle the load that will be thrown at them on 25th. 

If we see instability and login issues today, there will most likely be more stress tests until it IS smooth. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I just want to play with the character creator a bit.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

1 hour is somewhat short time, but then again we have no clue what they are testing during that 1 hour but my feeling is why can't they have it running for 4-6 hours so more can join in and ofc we who bought game we the costumers your livelyhood should atleast have more hours of fun.

And no i don't think they are poor and only have enough money to run the server for one hour, like some have claimed.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    WvW or character creator... tough choice.
    Originally posted by Torgrim

1 hour is somewhat short time, but then again we have no clue what they are testing during that 1 hour but my feeling is why can't they have it running for 4-6 hours so more can join in and ofc we who bought game we the costumers your livelyhood should atleast have more hours of fun.

And no i don't think they are poor and only have enough money to run the server for one hour, like some have claimed.

My theory is that they are testing launch day scenarios. Think back to D3 and that in itself is enough to make any dev shudder.

Originally posted by Naevius

wvw for me... going to kill as many players as a I can in 1 hr.

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

Just updated launcher, ready for action :p

Thanks for sharing ^^

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    I understand that is a stress test, but there is something that worries me: queues for W v W.  I expect the first week to be a waiting queue nightmare for W v W, at least for those servers that are full.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

you know, this is a great idea, I think I won't PvP this time and play witht he character creator and make some notes so when the game is released I don't spend much time on it!

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

you know, this is a great idea, I think I won't PvP this time and play witht he character creator and make some notes so when the game is released I don't spend much time on it!

is there some character creation depth I've missed as to where it should take more than 5 min tops to make a char?

Well unlike other games you have lots of options during character creation, both at creating your appearance and answering all the background questions. Actually it's one of the most in-depth character creators out there

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• dethlorddethlord Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    out any niggles prior to launch. 

omg, so racist...

Deth to you ALL!

Originally posted by Vinterkrig
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

is there some character creation depth I've missed as to where it should take more than 5 min tops to make a char?

If you dont really care what your character looks like then yes it will only take 5 mins.

However, I always spend ages in character creation trying to get my character to look just right and suit the name I am going to give it and look "cool" 

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Originally posted by Serin101
    I think this test is meant for simulating how they will handle logins on launch day.

I think you are correct.  The lag was so bad during the last stress test that it was almost impossible to get around or take part in any of the events.  From what I saw, the lag affected a lot more than Guild Wars 2 and Guild Wars; even LotRO was affected.  I am fairly sure that the reason for today's test is to check for server lag.