Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-Sports in the Olympics? Poll.

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

What do you think? This article touches on the topic :  http://www.examiner.com/article/video-gaming-the-olympics

I say, why not? Esports is both entertaining, and becoming refined in terms of standard scoring.

Comments

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    I don't think I would consider gaming an olympic type sport. Lots of physical sports are excluded from the games as is.
  • Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

since when video game is a sport?

and E sport is a joke , just a bunch of pro gamers  playing each other and people go wild watching them ? why? watching someone owning  in Starcraft 2 is entertaining? for SC players maybe , i dont see people watching this in Olympics Games

and dont talk about DDR and such please , yes its physical but there is no way you can call that a sport

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

People who do esports arnt atheletes, so why would they be in teh olympics? the summer olympics are already a huge joke anyway, just look at the kind of crap thats already in it.

Whats next, playing MBA 2013 as an olympic sport? how about NHL 2013? why not if other videogames suddenly qualify, this is just the stupidest thing ive ever heard, the fact that peope, will sit and watch other people using entertainment is just sad, whats next, profesional movie watcher watching?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• quasi_deadquasi_dead Member Posts: 84
    No.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

not all sports are physical activities.

chess for instance is considered a sport by the International Olympic Committee, who's opinion on the subject I personally hold higher than any poster on this forum.

and on that note, i don't see e-sports ever being added to the olympics for similar reasons as I don't see Chess.

I think this wikipedia entry touches on this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Olympiad

edit: i would like to add i do not hold the position that Chess and video games are equivalent. i am simply pointing out not all sports are based around acts of physical prowess.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    no, just no....

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    No IMO but then again I'd remove every sport like archery etc and never allow darts golf etc in there,  IMO if your heart rate doesnt get over 140 its not a sport.
  • BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    NO. If e-sports want a olympic like event go make their own.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

No way, games like chess are also no olympic sport.

But yes, e sports could make their own olympics.

• BebbohBebboh Member Posts: 29
    Dont we already have the World Cyber Games?
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports

"Those sports marked with an asterisk are not eligible to be included at the Olympic Games because the Olympic Charter specifically bans sports with an element of motorization from eligibility."

Even if it didn't, I'd say no. E-sports don't fit in.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Perhaps the Koreans paid him to write the article so they can win more medals.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    Haha nice sight, a bunch of fat kids playing and screaming at the screen while very fit athletes run and swim nextdoor.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Tonin109

and E sport is a joke , just a bunch of pro gamers  playing each other and people go wild watching them ? why? watching someone owning  in Starcraft 2 is entertaining? for SC players maybe , i dont see people watching this in Olympics Games

and dont talk about DDR and such please , yes its physical but there is no way you can call that a sport

As mentioned i am against the idea mostly because there are enough silly sports in there allready... Like beach volleyball. But the "it is not interesting" is not really an argument as there are a huge amount of sports witha  fairly small following that most people consider dull... And to be honest i my self find soccer about as fun as watching paint dry... 22 people chasing a ball like a two packs of kittens on catnip.

But to put things in to perspective they said the same thing about snowboard as a event in the winter olypics... So give it a few more years and i am sure it will happen.

Also according to the wiki defenition DDR could very well be considerd a sport.

This have been a good conversation

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Mari2k

No way, games like chess are also no olympic sport.

Chess and Contract Bridge have been approved by the IOC  (International Olympics Committee

(seen at wiki info for Olympics)

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    No, E-Sports should be kept seperate. It would cheapen the games.

Hi

Originally posted by tawess

As mentioned i am against the idea mostly because there are enough silly sports in there allready... Like beach volleyball. But the "it is not interesting" is not really an argument as there are a huge amount of sports witha  fairly small following that most people consider dull... And to be honest i my self find soccer about as fun as watching paint dry... 22 people chasing a ball like a two packs of kittens on catnip.

But to put things in to perspective they said the same thing about snowboard as a event in the winter olypics... So give it a few more years and i am sure it will happen.

Also according to the wiki defenition DDR could very well be considerd a sport.

why beach volley is a silly sport? explain? because there is sand? i dont get it , what sport is not silly for you?

there are tons of interesting sports in Olympic Games you dont like some so dont watch , watch the one you like , you call beach volley silly because for you its silly (still dont get it why) for other people its not

if you consider E sport intersting enough to be added for Olympic games that's your opinion, for me i dont call this crap worth watching  for one reason its not a sport , you have your definition of sport i have mine

guy A : do you do any sport?

pro gamer : yeah i play video game , i own at SC2 with my zergs and sometime protos ...

guy A: ok ....i mean a real sport?

pro gamer :  "thinking" .... mm street fighter ?

guy A: ok nevermind  "facepalm"

and if you make opinion  based on wiki that's your problem , sorry if you cant make your own one

i didnt know wik is the holy bible of knowledge

but yeah who knows maybe one day we will see the first gold medal for DDR and other fps craps

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by thamighty213
    No IMO but then again I'd remove every sport like archery etc and never allow darts golf etc in there,  IMO if your heart rate doesnt get over 140 its not a sport.

You'd remove ARCHERY? Some Englishman you are >_>

Also, whilst we're talking sports that should be Olympic - RUGBY. (Not 7's)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    No offense Divion but thats the stupidist poll of all time.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    No offense Divion but thats the stupidist poll of all time.

This one comes close.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

No different fron chess.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Originally posted by thexrated

No different fron chess.

i dont consider chess as a sport even its an official "sport"

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by warmaster670

People who do esports arnt atheletes, so why would they be in teh olympics? the summer olympics are already a huge joke anyway, just look at the kind of crap thats already in it.

Whats next, playing MBA 2013 as an olympic sport? how about NHL 2013? why not if other videogames suddenly qualify, this is just the stupidest thing ive ever heard, the fact that peope, will sit and watch other people using entertainment is just sad, whats next, profesional movie watcher watching?

That made me think of the all the different pro-league organizations in the world creating electronic rosters of computer generated players.  Imagine the super-human feats! 

If holographic projections could be perfected it wouldn't have to impact stadium sales and beer/hot dog revenues would be saved!

Anyway, I voted no...   I don't want to see computer geeks in speedos playing shooters/RTS games.  

Originally posted by Alcuin
    Originally posted by warmaster670 People who do esports arnt atheletes, so why would they be in teh olympics? the summer olympics are already a huge joke anyway, just look at the kind of crap thats already in it.   Whats next, playing MBA 2013 as an olympic sport? how about NHL 2013? why not if other videogames suddenly qualify, this is just the stupidest thing ive ever heard, the fact that peope, will sit and watch other people using entertainment is just sad, whats next, profesional movie watcher watching?
    That made me think of the all the different pro-league organizations in the world creating electronic rosters of computer generated players.  Imagine the super-human feats! 

If holographic projections could be perfected it wouldn't have to impact stadium sales and beer/hot dog revenues would be saved!

Anyway, I voted no...   I don't want to see computer geeks in speedos playing shooters/RTS games.  

Throwing wotsits at each other.