Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 re-did half of the MMORPG.

1234568»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Size-Twelve

Ok this is just how I plan to play for one example of "endgame":

• Level to 80
    • Finish personal Story
    • Go back to any interesting zones I missed looking for new DE's
    • Start 100% map completion hunt
    • Play WvW
    • Learn siege weapons, tactics, have fun
    • Try to help my server become competitive
    • Join Chef's guild and learn to cook
    • Become WvW commander
    • Start structured PvP
    • Run explorable dungeons to help guild farm for gear
    • Attain 100% map completion

That will take me FOREVER. I probably won't get through that list until many expansions from now, and there will be even more to do at that point. All the "endgame" I need is already in game.

Adding a few:

Create various builds that focus on support, damage, control in any combinations (depends on Prof), get all the required gear for those builds, a level 80 won't have everything at maximum you know. Rune sets 6/6 for all the builds, proper exotic items

To do the above properly:

Get a max stat-perfect weapon for EACH of the available ones on my character, maybe more than one for some types that can be used on different builds, with different stats, remember that playing one role perfectly means nothing, you must be able to adapt

Learn all skills available for my Prof

Afterward and/or while doing that:

Get the prettiest looking cosmetic armor for my Prof/race combo, maybe more than one, I like the design on lots of them

Get at least one Legendary Weapon, maybe more to fit all my builds

Yeah all of the above will take quite some time. They certainly can't be done in a month

also forgetting start a new class and do it all over again:P honestly I already have 5 race/profession combos I want to play to 80 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Are you one of those people who plays games 24/7 or something? Or do you just bumrush everything to get to the "TRUE GAME" that WoW has brainwashed every gamer who enters their corridors into doing?

WOW isn't the only MMO to exist, and certainly isn't the first to focus on the game at cap (level or skill cap).

But WoW does not focus on the game at cap, it focuses only on raiding. I had several characters at cap in WoW and there was nothing to keep me playing except alting and making gold, since I dont care for raiding (and drop off PvP as soon as the 24/seveners out-gear me too much, not to mention I prefer large scale PvP / owPvP).

If devs truly want to focus on the cap they will introduce several different ways for players to enjoy the cap, not just raiding and arenas. Not to mention both instanced, why not just have a lobby-game if you're not going to utilize that huge open world of yours? Oh yes, because running alts is so popular form of end-game, and you need open world for that, or is it just popular because of the circumstances? To me it was.

WoW was great fun and very addictive back in the day, but also one of the most frustrating mmorpgs imo, since it has so huge open world, but it serves no other purpose than leveling. That's why there's so many hang-arounders in the game who just stand still at max level, chatting, dreaming, and whining that they are bored before running off to create an alt.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Kuinn

WoW was great fun and very addictive back in the day, but also one of the most frustrating mmorpgs imo, since it has so huge open world, but it serves no other purpose than leveling. That's why there's so many hang-arounders in the game who just stand still at max level, chatting, dreaming, and whining that they are bored before running off to create an alt.

That's what always bugged me about the Level 1 - 60 revamp of Cataclysm: why bother revamping the whole thing, when it's pretty obvious that your playerbase will only burn straight through it on their overpowered heirloom covered alts. Hell, why even bother having a leveling process to begin with if you are just going to trivialize it to the point that it might as well be an obstacle rather than an experience in itself?

If they are going to be so raid focused, they might as well cut all of the leveling out and just stick a short tutorial on how to raid and be done with it. It would probably be more effective than the nonexistent tutorial that WoW currently has anyways.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Are you one of those people who plays games 24/7 or something? Or do you just bumrush everything to get to the "TRUE GAME" that WoW has brainwashed every gamer who enters their corridors into doing?

WOW isn't the only MMO to exist, and certainly isn't the first to focus on the game at cap (level or skill cap).

But WoW does not focus on the game at cap, it focuses only on raiding. I had several characters at cap in WoW and there was nothing to keep me playing except alting and making gold, since I dont care for raiding (and drop off PvP as soon as the 24/seveners out-gear me too much, not to mention I prefer large scale PvP / owPvP).

If devs truly want to focus on the cap they will introduce several different ways for players to enjoy the cap, not just raiding and arenas. Not to mention both instanced, why not just have a lobby-game if you're not going to utilize that huge open world of yours? Oh yes, because running alts is so popular form of end-game, and you need open world for that, or is it just popular because of the circumstances? To me it was.

My point wasn't really about WOW, I never passed level 20 something in that game, I really wouldn't know how endgame was, I only know what I read, and it would seem by many that the game is all about endgame raiding. IE: what the devs have focused most of their efforts on post release.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

My point wasn't really about WOW, I never passed level 20 something in that game, I really wouldn't know how endgame was, I only know what I read, and it would seem by many that the game is all about endgame raiding. IE: what the devs have focused most of their efforts on post release.

That's exactly what it is, focused on raiding. Perfect for everyone who want to raid, no good for much anything else PvE-wise, certainly wouldnt call it the best mmorpg. Good raiding though, maybe the best? I'm not too experienced with raiding since 2005-6.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That's exactly what it is, focused on raiding. Perfect for everyone who want to raid, no good for much anything else PvE-wise, certainly wouldnt call it the best mmorpg. Good raiding though, maybe the best? I'm not too experienced with raiding since 2005-6.

Yeah nor I, never actually ran a raid, I"m not even very fond of dungeons. Endgame to me is more or less a profession/position/service to fill.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52

wait whats the point of doing DE after 80?

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by trillgod

Same reason you would go there the first time: To find something to do.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by trillgod

You keep "levelling" after 80. Instead of actually going up a level when you fill up on xp, you get a skill point. The skill points are used to unlock more skills, and to purchase certain items like siege blueprints, if you don't want to spend gold, and crafting materials for exotic/legendary equipment.

Some of the mats for legendaries will require 200 skill points to get.