Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lack of CGI trailers in GW2

2»

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

GW2 actually has a CGI trailer. But a different kind, which must have costed like 10% of the usual ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em0Sd60iI2w

The first half is 100% CGI.

EDIT and PS: this clip is also a nice display of Soule's fantastic music :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW2 actually has a CGI trailer. But a different kind, which must have costed like 10% of the usual ones.

thats the painted looking scenes I was talking about nowhere close to the same cost and production of those other big budget CGI ones but for the style of the game I feel it fits perfectly

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

thats the painted looking scenes I was talking about nowhere close to the same cost and production of those other big budget CGI ones but for the style of the game I feel it fits perfectly

Aye, the guy doing that is an ace - he just works with layers like many cartoons do too (including Walt Disney before they went 100% digital).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I agree with Latinkuro that CGI trailers are no longer required in the present gaming era. In fact if a game promotes itself using CGI I am immediately wary of it.

I would say to anyone buying a game because they thought a CGI trailer was awesome to think again, because in reality, the game will be totally different.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ANET did a trailer last year for Gamescom but thats probably the one Op is referring to from autumn 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1w5exkbowk

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Deolus

if a game promotes itself using CGI I am immediately wary of it.

same for me

reminds of TV commercials where "image" is advertised but product is never shown

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by heartless

Even after launch that money would be better spent on content development.

ArenaNet did the right thing by using the game's engine to create their trailers. It's one of the things that got me really excited about the game.

that and the painted looking scenes used for the cinema parts I think worked very well in the overall style of the game

I guess so.  I just grew up playing Final Fantasy games as my main RPGs and CGIs from FF7 and up were part of the reward for playing and furthering the stories.  Hard to get over that especially in my favorite genre of the modern era, MMOs.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Some of the videos they have released almost look like CGI to me though.  When the in game engine looks so darn good, they don't need CGI!  The stylised art direction they chose for this game is, imo, incredible.  Not to mention their team that does the environments are really, really good at their jobs.

Edited to remove expletive.  Oops! My bad.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

honestly who cares about cgi trailers for games anymore.. dont companies know without actual gameplay videos no one will give 2 @#$@#4 about the game?? 

i see a CGI trailer i instantly believe the game is crap. simply because of the fact they felt they needed to invest large sums of cash to make a pretty colourful cgi video to market their game instead of an actual gameplay vid.. so they must not put much stock faith in their own game graphics or play.

want me to believe your game is worth my time/money/effort then prove it.. show me the game not some BS graphic video that has nothing to do with the game other then its got the name of it :/

unless ofcourse you pull a westwood studios and do a live action/cgi trailer THEN ill be impressed.. q.q C&C...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by elocke

ArenaNet did the right thing by using the game's engine to create their trailers. It's one of the things that got me really excited about the game.

that and the painted looking scenes used for the cinema parts I think worked very well in the overall style of the game

I guess so.  I just grew up playing Final Fantasy games as my main RPGs and CGIs from FF7 and up were part of the reward for playing and furthering the stories.  Hard to get over that especially in my favorite genre of the modern era, MMOs.

yea I played every FF single player game ever made and FF7 is on my top 5 games of all time so I get you.. but like post above the engines nowadays look good enough to not really need the full CGI movies and when its a trailer I'd rather see ingame footage if it looks good

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by elocke

I loved old Final Fantasy games, especially FFIX. Vivi is one of my most favorte video game characters. With that said, I believe that CGI worked well in older games because, although impressive for their time, their engines lacked the tools for the developers to present everything with the game's engine so they had to rely on CGI. Not only that but the end user hardware, both PCs and consoles, lacked the processing power and CGI, which were basically movies, worked to set the mood and to move the story forward.

At this point, I think that the time for CGI trailers is slowly coming to an end. With modern game engines like Unreal, Frostbite and CryEngine capable of amazing visuals, there really is no need for CGI trailers anymore. Hell, even GW2's engine, although only supporting dx9 for now, looks very impressive.

On a personal note, when I look for a trailer of a game I'm interested in, I almost always prefer in-game footage. Before I buy the game, I want to know what I will be looking at while playing and CGI trailers simply do not work for that purpose.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I personally like CGI trailers a lot, simply because "short films" set in these fantasy worlds are fun to watch. I think people fail quite a bit who gets hyped for the gameplay based on CGI trailers, or compares the CGI trailers to the gameplay. It should be very obvious that they are just short films setting the mood more or less, unless even telling a story.

Only thing I dont like about the CGI trailers is that they left me wanting for more. Star Craft really made me want to see a movie based on that universe because of the CGI, same for WAR, SWTOR had very nice ones too. WoW and Blizzard generally speaking always has very nice CGI trailers and cut-scenes.

It's true they have nothing to do with the gameplay, but they also shouldnt be watched as if they did.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I personally like CGI trailers a lot, simply because "short films" set in these fantasy worlds are fun to watch. I think people fail quite a bit who gets hyped for the gameplay based on CGI trailers, or compares the CGI trailers to the gameplay. It should be very obvious that they are just short films setting the mood more or less, unless even telling a story.

Only thing I dont like about the CGI trailers is that they left me wanting for more. Star Craft really made me want to see a movie based on that universe because of the CGI, same for WAR, SWTOR had very nice ones too. WoW and Blizzard generally speaking always has very nice CGI trailers and cut-scenes.

It's true they have nothing to do with the gameplay, but they also shouldnt be watched as if they did.

lol Deathwing, I agree with you by the way, but Deathwing  was a disappointment. I never bought into it but when I saw Deathwing, I then searched youtube and...well you know.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    To be honest it baffles me why anyone would purchase a game based upon a CGI trailer.  Pointless waste of money that should be spent on employing programmers.  A good product sells itself.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Ah, flashback!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CyflymCyflym Member Posts: 30

Look at eg. swtor using cgi trailers for tv ad's, i'm pretty sure many thought that's what the game looks like.

Like a draw between dumb masses and false advertising.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Nadia

ANET did a trailer last year for Gamescom but thats probably the one Op is referring to from autumn 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1w5exkbowk

ANet said somewhere that this trailer was made entirely by themselves, cutting and merging different artwork pieces, zooming the concept art in and out and softening it with the paint transitions. Which is amazing, imo. It seems so professional, it's probably the most impressive GW2 trailer so far.

If they have enough art for it, might as well put their cinematic team to work on those kind of movies post-launch. Those guys probably got time on their hands, seeing that they implemented all those vistas.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

What's nice is that you don't need CGI to make GW2 look epic - just make a regular gameplay video :)

This said, I LOVED the SW:TOR trailers, and I think Bioware should stop making games and just do a Star Wars movie with the company that did those :)

Agreed, that would be so awesome :)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Cyflym

Look at eg. swtor using cgi trailers for tv ad's, i'm pretty sure many thought that's what the game looks like.

Like a draw between dumb masses and false advertising.

Well, yeah, there are a lot of dumb people who buy a game based on CGI trailer I guess, but even then it's not the fault of the CGI trailer imo, it's the fault of the buyer who cant tell the difference between gameplay video and a movie basically, and who did not do his research on the product.

Suppose the golden middle road would be to use CGI stuff only in-game and do the advertisement with other kind of lies and double meanings :)

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    It's cool either way imo, not like story is by any means my reason for playing gw2, but it's always cool to add some immersion

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by zaylin

What's nice is that you don't need CGI to make GW2 look epic - just make a regular gameplay video :)

This said, I LOVED the SW:TOR trailers, and I think Bioware should stop making games and just do a Star Wars movie with the company that did those :)

The Companies name is Blur, they also did the CGI for WAR and I think DCUO

They made a "tiny" bit more image

http://vz3.blur.com/work/cinematics

they need ot get into making CGI movies because those trailers are insane.. love the planetside 2 one

Completely agree, they could be like Pixar of mature animations.

Oh and to be on topic. CGI movies never bothered me that much, they often tell a part of the story/world/lore you about to enter. And if I am interested in the gameplay then no other source than actually able to play it myself will really makes me know if I like the gameplay.

But I can also enjoy gametrailers if they are made differently like the ones for GW2.