Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not having Raids in GW2 is a GREAT thing.

Comments

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

The PVE in GW2 is mediocre and will not hold the PVE crowd long term. This is painfully obvious to anyone who isnt drunk on the GW2 kool-aid.  Good thing for GW2 is there are no good PVE centric MMO's coming anytime soon anyways so they have awhile to change their minds on adding raids.

This game is all about the PVP which is quite good but still needs to add and change a few things in order to be great (pvp ladders, rankings and the titles to go with it, and to remove the generic pvp names garbage). But when Planetside 2 drops it wont matter anyways because thats gonna be the next monster E-Sport game not GW2.

game is not ever close to being all about PVP.. could take a look at the videos in my sig to show you otherwise.

Not necessary. Ive beta tested GW2 multiple times. The PvE is not nearly as interesting as you try and make it out to be. It doesnt offer enough character progression to have any real longevity with the PvE crowd. Most people simply will not care to grind a rainbow sword which gives them no statistical advantage. Most people will not want to grind boring "events" when they get hardly anything interesting in return.

Around October-November this will be very obvious. The PvPers will still be around but the PVE zones will be quite empty.

What was it like in Orr?  I'm assuming that you must have tried this content out to have such a solid perception on the PvE content in GW2. 

or perhaps you can tell me how all 32 dungeons were.. or how the elder dragon battles went.. I'd love to know as well

Well obviously its gonna be the most bestest PVE of all times and it will be so kewl cuz its GW2 and it has to be the best cuz its GW2 /logic.

Seriously though. I have played enough of GW2 PVE to be able to determine how super cool and amazing the pointless "endgame" is gonna be.  But you have watched hype videos so obviously I am wrong. GW2 PVE will be a paradigm shift which will change the world.image

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by RizelStar

The PVE in GW2 is mediocre and will not hold the PVE crowd long term. This is painfully obvious to anyone who isnt drunk on the GW2 kool-aid.  Good thing for GW2 is there are no good PVE centric MMO's coming anytime soon anyways so they have awhile to change their minds on adding raids.

This game is all about the PVP which is quite good but still needs to add and change a few things in order to be great (pvp ladders, rankings and the titles to go with it, and to remove the generic pvp names garbage). But when Planetside 2 drops it wont matter anyways because thats gonna be the next monster E-Sport game not GW2.

game is not ever close to being all about PVP.. could take a look at the videos in my sig to show you otherwise.

Not necessary. Ive beta tested GW2 multiple times. The PvE is not nearly as interesting as you try and make it out to be. It doesnt offer enough character progression to have any real longevity with the PvE crowd. Most people simply will not care to grind a rainbow sword which gives them no statistical advantage. Most people will not want to grind boring "events" when they get hardly anything interesting in return.

Around October-November this will be very obvious. The PvPers will still be around but the PVE zones will be quite empty.

What was it like in Orr?  I'm assuming that you must have tried this content out to have such a solid perception on the PvE content in GW2. 

or perhaps you can tell me how all 32 dungeons were.. or how the elder dragon battles went.. I'd love to know as well

I can't wait for this spoiler.

have a feeling we will be waiting for awhile...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Well obviously its gonna be the most bestest PVE of all times and it will be so kewl cuz its GW2 and it has to be the best cuz its GW2 /logic.

Seriously though. I have played enough of GW2 PVE to be able to determine how super cool and amazing the pointless "endgame" is gonna be.  But you have watched hype videos so obviously I am wrong. GW2 PVE will be a paradigm shift which will change the world.image

most of the videos in my sig are from people just like you and me playing in the beta weekends with just a few dev/promotional videos thrown in

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AridArid Member UncommonPosts: 14

Has anyone in this thread even looked at what the PVE content is? I like it a lot personatly, But it's quests at 1-15 from what I've seen as well as the dynamic events and storyline stuff, But has anyone TRIED The higher level content? Like 60-80 shit yet? I don't think you have, If you want to play the game's little parts and complain about the 'bigger' level areas please silence thy trap hole, I am not at that level and I do not believe I shall be for sometime, If I do not like that part of the game and I find it bores me I'll just get friends to play with me see if that lightens it ,If we all don't like it then bam, I get off that part do something else, Like Roleplay or PVP,  Or even another game, Because I'm not paying a monthly sub so I do not feel inclied to stay on every day, Basicly..

TL:DR "Don't knock it till you've tried it"

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

soooo,  how much did you play?  what level did you get to? It's ok to share.

I only made it to about level 20 so I'm ok to say that I don't know everything about the PvE content.

Your turn.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

soooo,  how much did you play?  what level did you get to? It's ok to share.

I only made it to about level 20 so I'm ok to say that I don't know everything about the PvE content.

Your turn.

I'm convinced by this point that he's a stat driven loot addict who's pissed that a developer isn't catering to the raiding minority. Raiders pretty much control every other MMO in existence, let everyone else have their day in the sun, and stop hogging all the light for yourself.

Originally posted by Arid

Has anyone in this thread even looked at what the PVE content is? I like it a lot personatly, But it's quests at 1-15 from what I've seen as well as the dynamic events and storyline stuff, But has anyone TRIED The higher level content? Like 60-80 shit yet? I don't think you have, If you want to play the game's little parts and complain about the 'bigger' level areas please silence thy trap hole, I am not at that level and I do not believe I shall be for sometime, If I do not like that part of the game and I find it bores me I'll just get friends to play with me see if that lightens it ,If we all don't like it then bam, I get off that part do something else, Like Roleplay or PVP,  Or even another game, Because I'm not paying a monthly sub so I do not feel inclied to stay on every day, Basicly..

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The PvE content will be EXACTLY like every other zone except it will have a different enviroment and monsters!

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I could defend Anet end game because I've played GW1 but I can't tell you what gw2 end game will be like. Most of GW1 was getting cooler skins and finishing the story. Is it pointless? Maybe to people who want stats. Is END GAME fun? I don't know, I really don't know. All I know is I wanted to look more and more badass in GW1.

I've played enough in the betas to see that DEs are a good addition to pve. I can tell you that I was surprised by a new event in the human starting area.

Will Anet have enough content on release? Yes and no. I found myself repeating events but I know that Anet will be putting more in over time. I can't tell you if it is enough.

All I know is I had a good time doing normal quests/DEs and had a great time with meta-events. I was willing to fight the Shadow Behemoth twice because I wanted to.

My uninformed opinion holds as much water as yours.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

so you went through how many dungeons again? and faced how many elder dragons? and crafted how many characters to 80 and made how many legenday weapons?  whats Orr like?

point is you haven't been there and neither have I but playing the game I can easily see the potential of these things and the potential to keep players around for a very long time.. need more evidence check out the videos in my sig

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The PvE content will be EXACTLY like every other zone except it will have a different enviroment and monsters!

Actually, as you get higher, some of the zones actually remove hearts entirely in favor of making them completely dynamic event driven.

Also, the content will be different as there is different content in every zone.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

hey guess what? you would be wrong but thanks for that. And I'd like to ask why do you play these games to begin with?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Even if it does end up being like that, at least paying $60 upfront to get it is better than paying $40 - $60, and then add in a subscription fee of $15 - $20 per month for a good amount of content. And I don't have to worry about running out of content too soon because I have a busy schedule coming up soon, so that gives me more bang for my buck.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

hey guess what? you would be wrong but thanks for that.

so there wont be dynamic events, hearts, vistas, skill challenges, etc in hgih level zones?

Originally posted by tokini

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

so there wont be dynamic events, hearts, vistas, skill challenges, etc in hgih level zones?

some do not have hearts but my comment was more about they will NOT be exactly like the earlier zones ... many not even close.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

While some detractors attempt to use this fact as a criticism of something Guild Wars 2 is lacking, the truth is that it’s actually one of the game’s strengths.

/snip

I agree with every point you put in your OP and I like the current way GW2 does PvE.  However there's still 13 hours until I can log in to get my fix image

The GW2 MO is that it does things different so any attempt by ANet at "raiding" would assume to not be like the traditional models.  When you think about it the traditional raiding model is self propelling.  The gear you get isn't needed for anything other than getting to the next level peg on the progression board.  The stat increase is useless other than being able to access the next level of raid content.  It does, however, enable you to sit in town so new players can ask you where you got your sweet gear.  It's a status symbol of sorts... just like GW2 dungeon armor.

Since this is GW2 where gear progression is not wanted or needed what if you kept everything but the stat increase? Create random 24 hour DEs in the world that have entrances to short raids (huge holes in the ground or mountainside).  There would be mobs to battle outside of the instance and those wanting to randomly group would have a "join raid" box pop up.  Additionally this would allow people to form their own group if they wish.  The relevance of the progression could tie in with the different "factions" of elder dragons that have began to attack us at random with their lackies.  Each DE would be themed to a dragon faction and once you defeat an encounter you move up in that dragons catagory.  Each time you fill a bar of a particular dragon faction you move up and recieve titles or gear rewards to match.  In my head I'm imagining the gear looking like a theme of each dragon elder.

The fun part would be dual random nature.  The first random is location in the world while the second is the random dragon faction.  There could even be multiple ones cycling every 24 hours so you could better choose a faction to max out.

My point is that a traditional raiding system would be horrible for GW2.  That doesn't mean the game can't offer a form of PvE progression that allows people to do big encounters in a controlled environment.  The idea above runs 100% concurrent with the game as we know it.

Originally posted by Phaleg31

[mod edit]

my sig is FULL of information that backs up my stance why should I need to pour out everything in this thread which has been beaten to death over and over and over.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Beiloch

It's so funny and intesnely hypocritical.

20+ man groups for best loot - BOO go away

5 man for best loot = YAY! More!

What?

Explain to me how needing an even smaller group of people to finish top content is LESS elitist than larger groups.

Seriously think about it. 5 guys = good. Increase all aspects so 20, 40 heck maybe even 60 people can do it at once and all get a challenge and loot. Boooo. This 'kneejerk' hating of raiding is really telling of people's ignorance.

[mod edit]. It's not for the best loot, but for the look you want in your gear. You don't have to have any particular dungeon sets of gear at all to progress if you don't want to.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!

That's not entirely accurate. For example, we know that in Orr, dynamic events are in webs instead of chains. In other words, multiple conditions in, multiple paths out.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103

Bilbo  can you explain to my in your humble opinion why pve in guild wars 2 is mediocre?

Because I think guild wars 2 pve is awesome along side it's pvp.

Originally posted by Volkon
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!

That's not entirely accurate. For example, we know that in Orr, dynamic events are in webs instead of chains. In other words, multiple conditions in, multiple paths out.

I get the feeling that much like how we see them as being deliberately ignorant and unwilling to listen, they see us as ignorant fanboys who needs to be enlightened that raiding is the only true way to play, and that they can convert us back if the game fails, so they can keep their stranglehold on the MMO genre.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Phaleg31

[mod edit]

my sig is FULL of information that backs up my stance why should I need to pour out everything in this thread which has been beaten to death over and over and over.

I don't think you need to even waste your efforts reading his post Aerowyn, let alone defending your position.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

some do not have hearts but my comment was more about they will NOT be exactly like the earlier zones ... many not even close.

Saying that PvE content will be "EXACTLY" like every other zone is like saying all raids are the same because they are raids. It is shocking that someone would even consider it an argument at all.

Originally posted by colddog04

Saying that PvE content will be "EXACTLY" like every other zone is like saying all raids are the same because they are raids. It is shocking that someone would even consider it an argument at all.

People who don't want to listen, WILL NOT LISTEN. That is truth. They probably see people who like GW2 the same way.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Of course you dont consider it an argument because the only argument you will listen to is "GW2 PvE is the greatest of all times!"

GW2 zones will be exactly as I stated earlier. It will be the same mechanics that all the other zones had except they might have less (or no) boring heart quests and add more boring "events" and of course it will have a different theme and monsters to fight. [mod edit] And of course dont forget that everything you do in these zones will proivde zero character advancement at max level.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Of course you dont consider it an argument because the only argument you will listen to is "GW2 PvE is the greatest of all times!"

GW2 zones will be exactly as I stated earlier. It will be the same mechanics that all the other zones had except they might have less (or no) boring heart quests and add more boring "events" and of course it will have a different theme and monsters to fight. [mod edit] And of course dont forget that everything you do in these zones will proivde zero character advancement at max level.

What you say about me isn't true. I have issues with GW2 like any other game. But when I see someone (you in this case) say something that isn't true, I decide to state facts about what the game is like. Sometimes I will express my opinion about things. Earlier I expressed that I liked the PvE experience a lot. 

It's funny to me that you just went back to the same argument. GW2 zones will be exactly the same as each other in the same way that every raid in WoW is the same as each other. In that, they aren't the same at all. At some point, every game is the same because you press keys to make things work.

I don't appreciate being mocked, so I would just ask that you please stop mocking me and instead just lay out your opinion.