Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

where is a real mmorpg?

I pose this question for a couple of reasons. I know to grind levels most games you have to fight. Yet most games I have played the rp has gone away on mmo's hence then new title. What happen to all things non combat to do,and to become a professional in. Do games like these still exist? I do not pvp nor enjoy raiding. Should i just follow my gut instincts n just walk away from the hole genre?

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

There are no MMOs being made and get ready to be flamed because of these gamers think all the games need is to be action adventures to be a MMO.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

What would you consider to be the last great mmo ?  Most mmos are made up of combat and story. Not understanding what you want.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EnowaEnowa Member Posts: 18

That is a logical question. I am looking for a open sandbox, with more player story driven role play. so if I am not questing I can do other things. SWG when it first came out was probably my best view of a good rp scene. where you felt immersed into the world.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Sad but true. For me, MMORPG's were intended to be a virtual D&D experience. Now they are online console games. 

Our hopes rest with ArcheAge.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Enowa

I pose this question for a couple of reasons. I know to grind levels most games you have to fight. Yet most games I have played the rp has gone away on mmo's hence then new title. What happen to all things non combat to do,and to become a professional in. Do games like these still exist? I do not pvp nor enjoy raiding. Should i just follow my gut instincts n just walk away from the hole genre?

Maybe give EVE a shot?  If you tell me that you need to be some sort of elf and can't "be a spaceship" then you lose all cred with me anyway.  Otherwise, walk away for now. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I agree that mmo should be more open world seemless worlds instead of theme parks if that makes any sense to you ? :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Sorry for sounding like a broken record cause I've said it frequently on these boards: most current MMOs (i.e. the themepark variety) are made for a target audience that doesn't like RPGs. Thus you get RPG-lite at best.

For real MMORPGs you either need to play the old ones or the sandbox indy ones. Look at it from the bright side: small population also means tight-knit good community. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• wungunwungun Member Posts: 67
    To be honest the only MMO that i've played that's worth investing in is EVE Online. I have not found a single worthy MMO other than EVE.
  • Corbeau-xCorbeau-x Member Posts: 4
    Sandbox games, like Eve, I'd recommend. Or there are the MUD's which I just commented on a minute ago. There are alot of RP options for non-combatants if you look hard enough (though it's a bit harder in games like Eve than MUDS).
  • eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

UO, EvE etc. However, the only, new title, offering a kinda of a sandboxy experience is Guild Wars 2. Don´t get me wrong, the game is a theme-park however, you can really find many sandboxy aspects in this game, such as open world where you can do whatever you want and where you have the choice to head to the path you enjoy.

Otherwise, most MMORPGs are combat based.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I've only ever played real MMORPGs.  Where are the fake MMOs?
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I wish an MMO would be developed where players could enlist themselves into combat roles in the same way we would do in a more real life scenario.

Picture if you will a game where players can't be soldiers or warriors without first learning and practicing the skills.

These games give players the ability to do everything right away and reward them with upgrades as advantages.

A role player might want to be a farmer or craftsman and not a combat character. The choices should be available, but if I wanted to just be a farmer the option to be that would be nice as well.

I enjoy combat games, but there are times when I just want to log into another world and just go about my business without fighting players and mobs.

Not everyone wants to be in this type of game, but there are plenty of players that would. Role playing should not be overlooked so easily.

• TechinsteinTechinstein Member Posts: 10
    If you want to try it out, a MMO called Vindictus. Hope I helped.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Try Larsa's list for some possible games to play.

Pardon I ended up liking the mobile version of the thread.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well ROLE PLAY to me is not wuite what others call it.

We are really just playing a developers game,so the ONLY role play i get from it ,is to role play THEIR classes/character designs.You know some people liketo role play a jet fighter or a warrior or a space ship captain ect ect.

Leaving pvp out of the equation we have seen ONLY one design since i played FFXI.That one design is to have hand held linear questing ,that gives you loot and xp.Aside from soe mgames having crafting,there is really nothing else to these games.So players follow those linear quests until they reach end level,than ask for end game content,which really means isntance loot raiding,nothing more.Even the term Raiding is a bit quirky,it is just grab yourself a bunch of players and go get some loot.

The combat imo will always be the fun part however that does not mean you cannot add other elements to combat such as puzzles for example.I have seen combat presented in many cools ways,it would take a novel t odescribe them all.

Personally i would like to see a developer create total immersion,that means you craft everything in game.You can however start out with minimal magic casting abilities or throw rocks to cause damage early on.I would like to see  the enemies you fight drop the exact same stuff they are using against you.This means no swords dropping from Bears lol.

Archeage  coming out tries to create some immersion as you build your own house and ships/boats.You don't magically warp around you travel on mounts or hand gliding,boats.However it will have it's share of cheap game design as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Homitu
    I've only ever played real MMORPGs.  Where are the fake MMOs?

All of the MMO's you've probably ever played are fake if you are under 27.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• OdhelmOdhelm Member Posts: 40

Im from the 80's when roleplaying was a charactersheet, dices and a with a game leader telling the story.. I'm not sure what you missing in the mmorpg's thats out there. But I have found myself a couple of times in a guild with the same roleplaying background as me and I tell you, it's a blast doing your own charachter development! Just goofing around, staying in character, and having fun with others that want to tell thier story.  I have done this with AoC and FFXI where I had a roleplaying dialog with other players. And that really enhanced does games for me!

I should note that its extremely hard to find thoose kind of groups though :-(

• guoke123guoke123 Member Posts: 3
    I have played a lot of games before, and of course everyone knows that with every game there are glitches that are unavoidable. What's good about Soul of Guardian is they are quick to fix these within a day or two. Other games I play took them weeks before even acknowledging that there is a glitch in the game.  sog.wsgame.com
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well you have to be careful when mentioning NON COMBAT,because almost EVERYTHING is related to combat.

As to the question of a real MMORPG,NONE exist,even a game i once proclaimed as the ultimate MMORPG [FFXI] is no longer the same game.Now EVERY single game is a clone,you either follow the speed leveling or do pvp.

You need to first remember where the RPG genre started >>>DnD.It was all about combat.Along the way games have found ways to add some new systems to add a form of realism to the game world,something Dnd could not do.SO although the title of the genre suggests you could role play anything,it really is a genre designed around combat.

It is basically like saying you want to role play a hockey player but don't want to be a centre/defense or goaltender.

I believe what the OP really means is "Where is the DEPTH" in game design.You wants lots of options to roleplay your combat player.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Well you have to be careful when mentioning NON COMBAT,because almost EVERYTHING is related to combat.

As to the question of a real MMORPG,NONE exist,even a game i once proclaimed as the ultimate MMORPG [FFXI] is no longer the same game.Now EVERY single game is a clone,you either follow the speed leveling or do pvp.

You need to first remember where the RPG genre started >>>DnD.It was all about combat.Along the way games have found ways to add some new systems to add a form of realism to the game world,something Dnd could not do.SO although the title of the genre suggests you could role play anything,it really is a genre designed around combat.

It is basically like saying you want to role play a hockey player but don't want to be a centre/defense or goaltender.

I believe what the OP really means is "Where is the DEPTH" in game design.You wants lots of options to roleplay your combat player.

LOl- D&D was NOT "all about combat" not is it really where RPG's started-

That aside , games like "Chainmail" (i.e. Wargames) were all about combat- D & D was an offshoot of Chainmail- Find some older (or even newer) modules and read them. manu of the old adventures were far more "mysteries" and "storytelling" than "combat combat combat".

But yes, there was combat in D&D. =P

EFIT: D&D was about ROLE PLAYING not ROLL PLAYING- Combat centric games were reversed and were about ROLL PLAYING. LOL. many, many people often purpousfully "gimp" their characters or give them traits which make them more diffiicult to ROLE PLAY- As playing "make believe" with rules is what D&D is/was about.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Go play UO (if you don't mind older graphics) and find a good role playing guild. Join the Atlantic shard it is the most populated I know for a fact that it has some decent role playing if you look for it. PVP is all optional in UO now and they have champ spawns in the place of raid bosses but again they are optional.

Heck if you decide to play UO send me a PM and I'll spot a little gold to get you started.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Vendetta Online

(The link explains why I think VO has great RP potential, and showcases a video highlighting some combat that has influenced events in the galaxy since the time it was filmed).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    They are all in the past
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by eGumball

UO, EvE etc. However, the only, new title, offering a kinda of a sandboxy experience is Guild Wars 2. Don´t get me wrong, the game is a theme-park however, you can really find many sandboxy aspects in this game, such as open world where you can do whatever you want and where you have the choice to head to the path you enjoy.

Otherwise, most MMORPGs are combat based.

Guild Wars 2 is prob the main reason the OP started this thread in the first place.....

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Here's part of the problem.

You're confusing an actual term 'mmorpg', with your own personal preference.

I also prefer games with a strong, non-combat oriented aspect to them, but this has nothing to do with whether or not a game is actually an MMORPG.

MMORPGs consist of 2 main aspects:

The MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online)

& the RPG (Role playing game)

Games are clearly still MMOs, and have been growing over time to a certain degree, so lets take a look at the RPG aspects. You complain that there are only combat aspects to really do. Well, when's the last time you looked at the single-player RPG genre? Would you say that Mass Effect 2 isn't an RPG, just because it's basically all combat & story? I wouldn't think so. What about Zelda? Or Chrono Trigger?

Combat, or the lack-thereof, have absolutely nothing to do w/ what makes a game an RPG. It's all about having some kind of story or lore element that is the primary focus of the game. MMORPGs haven't lost that, and it's only gotten stronger.