Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lack of CGI trailers in GW2

zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I really think Anet has been listening to the community on the net, that CGI while epic looking will ultimately leave a bad taste in your mouth IF that game does not live up to the type of hype it CAN build. Thess Paint'esc cinimatics are great!  imo

it actually makes me want to play the game more knowing Anet is not relying on studios to produce an awsome trailer to boost sales and such. all they have shown is the painting style cinamatics,and game play. Well done.

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I've always liked trailers that have actual game footage in them.  CGI's show me nothing of how the game will be. Look at SWTOR, nice CGI trailers, when you go ingame to play it's like "eww, if only it were like the trailers" they actually seemed more star war'ish than the game ever can be.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

What's nice is that you don't need CGI to make GW2 look epic - just make a regular gameplay video :)

This said, I LOVED the SW:TOR trailers, and I think Bioware should stop making games and just do a Star Wars movie with the company that did those :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    They've saved a lot of money by not making expensive CGI cutscenes and cinematic dialogue scenes. I like it. This is an MMO, after all, and I play MMOs for their gameplay.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

This would've been more entertaining if you were claiming that GW2 was going to fail because they didn't have flashy CGI trailers like some of the more successful games (FFXIV and SWTOR).

But I agree, they don't need the CGI since the gameplay speaks for itself.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

More money spent on the game in my view. That can only serve the customer.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the LK intro. I just wish one day games will look like the cinematics. Blizzard will have my attention if technology ever allows developers to pull it off at a reasonable price.

For now it's more time spent on gameplay. Great for us!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I always thought CGI intros were kind of pointless for an MMO anyway.  They're not dynamic in any sense, better off in a single player game rather than a game that changes all the time.
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

What's nice is that you don't need CGI to make GW2 look epic - just make a regular gameplay video :)

This said, I LOVED the SW:TOR trailers, and I think Bioware should stop making games and just do a Star Wars movie with the company that did those :)

The Companies name is Blur, they also did the CGI for WAR and I think DCUO

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by zaylin

Ah yes true, I remember reading that name. Those guys are great.

They should make a new Star Wars movie with that technology and with graphics similar to the SW:TOR trailers. It would be better than those clone wars cartoons.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    3 intros I got posted in my sig link are imho as good as any CGI trailer.. CGI trailers just leads to false hopes anyway heh. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Not a huge fan of CGI trailers to be honest. They look cool but the is usually a huge disconnect between the CGI and the actual game.

Take SWTOR for example. The CGI is absolutely epic but when you see the actual gameplay, it's like night and day.

Personally, I think that games should use in-game graphics for trailers. This way when people watch them, they'll know what the game is actually like.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

They made a "tiny" bit more image

http://vz3.blur.com/work/cinematics

Originally posted by Reklaw

They made a "tiny" bit more image

http://vz3.blur.com/work/cinematics

they need ot get into making CGI movies because those trailers are insane.. love the planetside 2 one

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

I really think Anet has been listening to the community on the net, that CGI while epic looking will ultimately leave a bad taste in your mouth IF that game does not live up to the type of hype it CAN build. Thess Paint'esc cinimatics are great!  imo

it actually makes me want to play the game more knowing Anet is not relying on studios to produce an awsome trailer to boost sales and such. all they have shown is the painting style cinamatics,and game play. Well done.

This is so true, 

CGI's are so 90's, you see before any of this marvelous COD, Gears of war; assassins creed etcetera was ever possible it was nice to have CGI's because all gamers knew it was impossible to have anything remotely like that for gameplay.

now a days such is no longer the case, that is why CGI's are a big NO in todays market.

that said, here are 2 trailers that actually give me goosebumps everytime I see them, not that I'd buy any game now a days that only shows CGI and no in-game gameplay.

swtor: deceived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=635zWY_HhNM

war online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY

the warhammer one shuld be made into a movie imho.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Cgi is a double edge sword in my gaming experience. Some have been great but then there have been some that made me think wtf. Like they couldnt find a good place to put it and just stuck them in to say they have them. The only reason i am not a fan of them in mmos is because they end up breaking the flow of my game play. I dont usually feel like the choice is my own dunno if that makes sense or not.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

I'd rather save CGI for full feature films honestly.

Especially for the Warhammer: Mark of Chaos CGI intro... that needs to be a movie.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I never trust a game that uses cgi trailers instead of game footage when advertising. One of my mottos is if it doesn't have a gui/hud I don't believe it. Final fantasy is the king of bait and switch false advertising. I'm glad they don't use cgi cut scenes and the characters are all in game graphics. +1 in my book.....
  • IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Well actually, as was found out in other such thread, WoW vanilla had very good CGI especially because all you saw there, you could do ingame. Compared to SW:TOR cgi, this is really really showing the problem: one has CGI that showcases "you can do this, and this, and that, and be awesome like thim" and other is just a video, a story presentation or dunno what else, but when you're told its a "game trailer" and you look at it as such, you notice that it showcases "you cannot do this, you cannot do that, and dont even think you can do this awesome move cos you obviously cannot, no you wont look so epic, you'll look like in a generic wow clone, ..."

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    Personally, gameplay videos show me more than a CGI trailer ever could.  I can watch movies when I own and like the game enough to play through them and see them for myself, but thats just me.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by heartless

Not a huge fan of CGI trailers to be honest. They look cool but the is usually a huge disconnect between the CGI and the actual game.

Take SWTOR for example. The CGI is absolutely epic but when you see the actual gameplay, it's like night and day.

Personally, I think that games should use in-game graphics for trailers. This way when people watch them, they'll know what the game is actually like.

Thats why Electronic Arts DIDN'T use gameplay trailers.

Using CGI trailers allows a company to produce false hope to get players to buy the game upon release.  They don't care if you get in-game and are disappointed that it wasn't anything like the CGI trailer, because you already purchased their product.

Its not personal, its Business.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Rant On.

I definitely prefer the approach Arenanet has taken, but I really have to chastize them for not providing any new, epic GW2 game trailers since autumn of 2011/ I mean, come on! The game is two weeks from launch and if I want to try to sell the game to friends, I need to either point them to an outdated official trailer, or substitute a fan made trailer. There are some nice fan made trailers, but it doesn't make up for Arenanet dropping the ball on an official one.

They should have at least released some more action clips in HD with the full, cinematic camera work seen in the official trailers, so people making fan-made trailers would have some new stuff to work with. A big pet peeve of mine is how fans tend to have to resort to using some of the old pre-redesign sylvari footage when showing Destiny's Edge, because Arenanet never released updated versions of those scenes.

Also, they released a few subject trailers with developers talking that had similar production value to The Manifesto video. Why the heck weren't those cut into a new trailer, including new, properly filmed action and world scenes? Seems like someone did most of the work, but then they couldn't find someone to produce the new in game shots and a proper final edit, so just shoveled out bits of an unfinished trailer.

Lack of proper marketing continues to be my only point of contention with Arenanet RE: GW2.

Rant Off.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

A CGI trailer is allways money spend on the wrong place, it does not add anything to the game.

Arenanet is on a much tighter budget then other AAA companies and so they must spend their dollars wise.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Yes, it's true.  And that's why I find WOW "disappointing".  No...I'm not a hater and I'm not trying to start a flame war towards WOW.  All I'm talking about is their marketing trailers.  

Blizard's marketing trailers looks really nice.  I always remember the first time I saw the Burning Crusade trailer and I thought it was really nice looking.  And I thought the actual game was like that.  Keep in mind that I wasn't paying much attention to WOW back then, so I asked one of my friends to let me try his WOW and I was disappointed because the game world and the characters didn't look anything like the trailer...

Ever since then I don't trust CGI trailers any more.  I appreciate the beauty of the CGI trailers but if I'm interesed in the game then I would try to find the actual game play videos.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I was thinking about this the other day.  I remember when I worked at Warhammer they said the cinematics cost $1 million alone to create.  While they are fantastic it makes me wonder how much the game suffers losing that money to something that has nothing to do with the game.  

However, I hope Arenanet makes a CGI after release, like an advertisement, I just LOVE these CGI movies from Blur.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by elocke

I was thinking about this the other day.  I remember when I worked at Warhammer they said the cinematics cost $1 million alone to create.  While they are fantastic it makes me wonder how much the game suffers losing that money to something that has nothing to do with the game.  

However, I hope Arenanet makes a CGI after release, like an advertisement, I just LOVE these CGI movies from Blur.

Even after launch that money would be better spent on content development.

ArenaNet did the right thing by using the game's engine to create their trailers. It's one of the things that got me really excited about the game.

Originally posted by heartless

Even after launch that money would be better spent on content development.

ArenaNet did the right thing by using the game's engine to create their trailers. It's one of the things that got me really excited about the game.

that and the painted looking scenes used for the cinema parts I think worked very well in the overall style of the game