Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2: Station Cash discontinued for buying expansions

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Information regarding Expansion and DLC Pack Purchases

http://www.everquest2.com/news/article?month=082012&id=51326

Starting Monday, August 27th, 2012, we will no longer accept Station Cash as a payment method for Expansions and DLC Packs. Real-world currency will be the only way to purchase these products.

The reason for this is simply that these products require a high level of development resource and are therefore a substantial cost. We want to continue to run aggressive Station Cash promotions, which we know our customers love, but cannot continue to do this and protect the revenue that we need to offset these costs.

In consideration of our players who would like the opportunity to purchase current Expansion and DLC Packs with Station Cash, we are running a 50% discount on them from Friday August 10th until Sunday August 12th*.

As always, if you have questions about your Station Account or Station Cash Balance, please contact customer service at http://www.soe.com/support.

soe forum discussion

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=521278

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Nadia

Information regarding Expansion and DLC Pack Purchases

http://www.everquest2.com/news/article?month=082012&id=51326

Starting Monday, August 27th, 2012, we will no longer accept Station Cash as a payment method for Expansions and DLC Packs. Real-world currency will be the only way to purchase these products.

The reason for this is simply that these products require a high level of development resource and are therefore a substantial cost. We want to continue to run aggressive Station Cash promotions, which we know our customers love, but cannot continue to do this and protect the revenue that we need to offset these costs.

In consideration of our players who would like the opportunity to purchase current Expansion and DLC Packs with Station Cash, we are running a 50% discount on them from Friday August 10th until Sunday August 12th*.

As always, if you have questions about your Station Account or Station Cash Balance, please contact customer service at http://www.soe.com/support.

soe forum discussion

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=521278

Have they also done away with paying for a sub with station cash?  If so, well, bleh.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Have they also done away with paying for a sub with station cash?  If so, well, bleh.

yes that happened 2 months ago - SC can no longer be used for subs

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/08/takeback-stationcash-funding-of-eq2-subs-comes-to-an-end/

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Just read it on twitter... An other way for $O€ to screw over their subscribers. Give them a monthly 500SC AND force them to buy the expansions as well. Way to go to loose players...
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Just read it on twitter... An other way for $O€ to screw over their subscribers. Give them a monthly 500SC AND force them to buy the expansions as well. Way to go to loose players...

You're not figuring in the Station Pass. $19.99 a month for subs/VIP to all their games. That means subscribers are collecting items/rewards on games they don't even play. This creates a situation where players will have an abnormally high amount of SC and benefits on certain games. Now, that may have nothing at all to do with their reasoning for changes like this, but it's a possible reason for it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

while i can agree with this actually that SOE needs to make revenue and people should pay for expansions , this is a root problem with SOE games anyways. The company just cannot sustain itself off mediocre games and thats what they struggle with it seems like. EQ2 doesnt have all that great of a sub base and vanguard is still about dead in the water. DCUO was a flop and the rest of their games just are for kids besides eq1 which is old as dirt. Also I think people are going to be sadly disappointed in PS2 .

They seem to do more pissing off their fans and playerbase then they do getting any success and thats the main issue at hand. Maybe its time for a new ceo that runs his teams better and more efficiently? Smed has a terrible reputation and the games they put out while fun for a short time dont seem to go in the directions their fans want. Maybe they should stop sticking it to their current sub based and actually try and be innovative again like they were when eq2 first launched.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You're not figuring in the Station Pass. $19.99 a month for subs/VIP to all their games. That means subscribers are collecting items/rewards on games they don't even play. This creates a situation where players will have an abnormally high amount of SC and benefits on certain games. Now, that may have nothing at all to do with their reasoning for changes like this, but it's a possible reason for it.

Then do like Turbine does - make SC bound to a game, not account. Or (other option) since you pay 1 1/2 sub, give 750SC (1000SC max) a month...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Then do like Turbine does - make SC bound to a game, not account. Or (other option) since you pay 1 1/2 sub, give 750SC (1000SC max) a month...

Again, I'm just guessing. I don't know the reason for the change. However, Turbine doesn't have a universe membership option (Station Pass), so it's not really a good example.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

I have 2 accounts and I used SC to buy the last two Xpacs for my 2nd account. 

They still got the money I paid for the SC (some during a promo) and they got my 15 bucks/month on that account.

I will probably cancel the 2nd account now that I won't be able to keep it current using SC.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Only DC universe has switched to European Pro Sabien right .My  Everquest 1 and 2  and Vanguard are not affected right even though my address is in Italy . I have two accounts I had a station cash a few years back.
    Chamber of Chains
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Only DC universe has switched to European Pro Sabien right .My  Everquest 1 and 2  and Vanguard are not affected right even though my address is in Italy . I have two accounts I had a station cash a few years back.

correct - altho EQ2 will be transitioning soon

http://eq2wire.com/2012/06/20/everquest-ii-prosiebensat-1-transition-now-30-60-days-away/

EQ1 will not be switched to Prosieben

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Doesn't work like that, actually. SOE gives you 500SC a month per paid subscription. All-Access Pass makes you a subscriber to all their games, but is only a single paid subscription for this purpose.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by cronius77

while i can agree with this actually that SOE needs to make revenue and people should pay for expansions , this is a root problem with SOE games anyways. The company just cannot sustain itself off mediocre games and thats what they struggle with it seems like. EQ2 doesnt have all that great of a sub base and vanguard is still about dead in the water. DCUO was a flop and the rest of their games just are for kids besides eq1 which is old as dirt. Also I think people are going to be sadly disappointed in PS2 .

They seem to do more pissing off their fans and playerbase then they do getting any success and thats the main issue at hand. Maybe its time for a new ceo that runs his teams better and more efficiently? Smed has a terrible reputation and the games they put out while fun for a short time dont seem to go in the directions their fans want. Maybe they should stop sticking it to their current sub based and actually try and be innovative again like they were when eq2 first launched.

While generally accurate EQ2 is a fantastic game itself, and in the day EQ1 was as well.

I can't even justify giving them money to play EQ2 (a game I enjoy) because they can't be bothered to update or overhaul the engine.