Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Tough Day at En Masse

hopenottakenhopenottaken Member Posts: 38

"Today, we had to let go of some of the great talent at En Masse Entertainment. While a tough decision, it was necessary as we prepare for the next chapter of our business. TERA has been a great launch for us, and we are committed to you guys, our loyal players. We’re taking measures to align the needs of our business to continue supporting TERA and preparing for our future. We are working with those affected by this transition, including offering assistance on new prospects within the industry/area. Rest assured this doesn’t change our plans for awesome game updates and support, including the huge Argon Queen update later this month."

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/news-announcements/topics/A-Tough-Day-at-En-Masse-

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    So sad.  I hope the affected people find new work soon.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

This was updated on the official forums, although the thread is now closed.

http://tera.gamemeca.com/special/section/html_section/tera_new/community/news/view.html?seq=35&ymd=20120809&page=1

Korean news is reporting that EME laid off 25% of its staff (20 out of 80 staff members) due to not hitting their target of 20 million dollars profit in NA. Speculation is that BHS is restructuring EME to make way for FTP. When asked a representative from BHS; their response was "No comment".

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

http://tera.gamemeca.com/special/section/html_section/tera_new/community/news/view.html?seq=35&ymd=20120809&page=1

Korean news is reporting that EME laid off 25% of its staff (20 out of 80 staff members) due to not hitting their target of 20 million dollars profit in NA. Speculation is that BHS is restructuring EME to make way for FTP. When asked a representative from BHS; their response was "No comment".

JESUS

They thought they were going to have 20 million dollars profit in NA? with Tera?

They should fire all the managers

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Strangely, they weren't the only ones. Back in spring, I saw a lot of people claiming TERA would threaten GW2, TSW and TOR.
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Let's face it, TERA was never going to be big.
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by dekou
    Strangely, they weren't the only ones. Back in spring, I saw a lot of people claiming TERA would threaten GW2, TSW and TOR.

This. All while GW2 met far more scepticism. Or the Art of being always wrong with game analysis.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• pensselisetapensseliseta Member Posts: 40

TBH, looking at the state of TOR it is rivaling TOR.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Zezda

Who knew half naked women and huge weapons wouldn't make a game instant success? I surely didn't see it coming. /sarcasm off

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by pensseliseta

Yeah, TOR flopped. TSW isn't doing great, either. Even GW2 can still flop in one way or another. However, it's pretty obvious TOR didn't flop because of TERA. TERA never threatened TOR. BioWare was what threatened and killed it.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    The problem these games are running into is market saturation.  Think about it.  We have more MMO's now than ever.  With more on the way.  The managers and analysts at these companies are thinking WoW numbers when market circumstances pretty much make WoW numbers impossible.  And to make matters worse, they are thinking that they will pull off WoW type numbers by doing the exact same things or making very minor changes.
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Market is only saturated in the WoW sub-genre (because it became a sub-genre). The problem is not coming from the market, but from the studios not even willing to stand out from that sub-genre ;)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr
    So sad.  I hope the affected people find new work soon.

Yeah, so did I until I read the court documents that EME/ Bluehole are based on NCsoft traitors stealing L3 tradesecrets and calling it TERA.  FK these dirt bags, hope they all go to jail- much less work in the industry again.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I would be very very careful posting this news. I've talked to allot of people and anyone posting this info is getting a 30 day ban from EME, if they find out who did it. Saying it's malicious intent. EME doesn't want anyone to know the truth.

• ChewychompChewychomp Member Posts: 9

Yeah, TOR flopped. TSW isn't doing great, either. Even GW2 can still flop in one way or another. However, it's pretty obvious TOR didn't flop because of TERA. TERA never threatened TOR. BioWare was what threatened and killed it.

Yeah Tor flopped hard, but thats what you get coming in the market with an unfinshed game preaching you are the WoW killer. TSW will be a niche game, will have its handful of hardcore fans and will do ok for a while. GW2 I believe will be fine, its buy to play and offers quite a bit more in content and will be significantly more finished and polished that most games we have seen in years, all the GW2 betas ran significantly smoother than games already launched and online for months/years. This is just my opinion though.

As far as Tera goes, if this game launched 5yrs(ish) ago it would hands down be my favorite game, when I play it every part of me screams I should love this game but I don't, besides the combat system the big awesome things you get to fight I am just bored of this game, its that been there done that 6598908058 times now feeling that kills it for me. IMO Tera is going to flop, and once GW2 launches that will be its first nail in the coffin, once Lineage 3 releases its will take Tera down for the kill.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by otacu

JESUS

They thought they were going to have 20 million dollars profit in NA? with Tera?

They should fire all the managers

They don't have Managers like in your Food Service.

• lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Chewychomp

Yeah Tor flopped hard, but thats what you get coming in the market with an unfinshed game preaching you are the WoW killer. TSW will be a niche game, will have its handful of hardcore fans and will do ok for a while. GW2 I believe will be fine, its buy to play and offers quite a bit more in content and will be significantly more finished and polished that most games we have seen in years, all the GW2 betas ran significantly smoother than games already launched and online for months/years. This is just my opinion though.

As far as Tera goes, if this game launched 5yrs(ish) ago it would hands down be my favorite game, when I play it every part of me screams I should love this game but I don't, besides the combat system the big awesome things you get to fight I am just bored of this game, its that been there done that 6598908058 times now feeling that kills it for me. IMO Tera is going to flop, and once GW2 launches that will be its first nail in the coffin, once Lineage 3 releases its will take Tera down for the kill.

Lineage 3??? You mean lineage eternal? Tera will be dead long before *lineage 3* ever exists.They dont need to wait for that most players in korea that left Tera went to Blade & Soul already.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

Who knew half naked women and huge weapons wouldn't make a game instant success? I surely didn't see it coming. /sarcasm off

boobs and lolis make a game instant success in asia, i love asian mmos. But when you try to add a sub to an asian mmo to cater NA players, things dont end up very well. TERA would be a bigger success as F2P...

note: by asian mmo i mean exactly that.... asian themed, asian art style and far more grindy and generic progression than western mmos. But i still love them, just make them free to play

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    they were shooting for a mark of 20 million and didn't make it? Thats it? They should have left the models like they were in asia, offered a lifetime membership for the cost of six months subs with only a 2 week window for purchase.  They would have easily made it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

EME and Bluehole are entirely separate entities.

So your statement makes about 0% sense. 

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    I just looked at the EU servers is there a bug on the server status page or is there no one playing on them because they all say none as population?
  • daystar18daystar18 Member UncommonPosts: 15

People fail to realize NONE of these games really care about being game changers.  They give the mega hype and all but most games that come out 90% will purchase the box sale and quit the following month.  Doing this already gives the company a huge profit so all the remaining people to stay is just more milk added.

(cost me couple mils to make game?) box sales 500k-1mil? (40-$50 a box sale?) sup i just made 15+mil profit and will make smaller profit after plus eventually make it f2p

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    To certain posts I read: like, you should totally make your own MMO or finance one. You know SO much...

/sarcasm off
    Hindsight is always 20/20.
    Besides, I honestly doubt the reason some MMOs don't quite make it is because the makers were evil and set out to rob me of my moneyz.

I'm as excited as the next guy, for ArcheAge (and some other titles) but who knows down the road what'll happen?
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

TERA had, and still has a ton of potential.  Its just how they put it out there, was the problem. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by Kumapon

I would be very very careful posting this news. I've talked to allot of people and anyone posting this info is getting a 30 day ban from EME, if they find out who did it. Saying it's malicious intent. EME doesn't want anyone to know the truth.

Actually, I have been very interested in that quote and it's aftermath because when the lock was done, the community manager who did it quoted "wrong transtalion." And ban for malicious intent would make sense if the persomn virally posting it over and over does so knowingly.

For my part I punched the quote from (http://tera.gamemeca.com/special/section/html_section/tera_new/community/news/view.html?seq=35&ymd=20120809&page=1) in Translate and came up with:

"The restructuring aenmaeseuui total staff, 20 of 80 people broke away. In terms of only the corresponding ratio range up to 25%. In the left corner of this restructuring in North America to be related to the performance of Terra geotyiran speculation is coming. Blue Hole Studios about it, "about three months after formal services for more than 20 million U.S. dollars earned. This reorganization is independent of the performance of Terra, "he dismissed."

If we try to restructure it without adding or taking out words it seems to read "after 3 months after formal services were started and with over 20 million US dollars earned, this reorganization is independent of the performance of Tera."

That reads very different from "not reaching their target."

Quote posted in the forums labeled as "incorrect translation." :

Anyhow.  If someone who knows Korean for a fact and is willing to put their name and reputation out there to clarify this translation (since the source material is still out there) a confirmation would help the discussion.  At least to me it would clarify the reasons for a ban.  Because trust me, it takes a LOT  like A LOT for people to get any form of bans there.

Fact seems pretty clear the layoffs were a direct result of the lawsuit settlement - and by extension - independent of tera's financial performance, which would not be too shabby at all if it was over 20 million in 3 months.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Might be because they have to pay NCsoft lawsuit?

TERA lawsuit settled, En Masse maintains innocence.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/10/tera-lawsuit-settled-en-masse-maintains-innocence/ 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)