Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 still falls in the Tank/Heal/DD Mold

2»

Comments

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

I already fear the WoW- and CoD-fans in this game. You know, these guys who don't care about the game mode, the sense or anything else, just for damage and kills. (I remember WoW-players bashing someone because he low damage. Well, he was guarding the flag, so yeah...-.-)

Trust me, there will be enough people who will never touch buttons 6-9 because they (mostly) don't do damge. However, I hope they leave the game quickly because they'll be sucking at it anyways.

So back to the topic: Of course guardians can heal more than other classes and deal less damage than thiefs (for example). But this doesn't make them tanks or healers. If nobody else in the group heals or avoids damage the group is going down with or without guardian.

Guardians only enhance the boons and defense of the group, whereas warriors enhance the damage.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If any one player doesn't look after, dodge and heal themselves they will die in GW2. That's what they mean by the Trinity is gone. You can not rely on other players to keep you alive. Try it and see, I have.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

I was excited that GW2 doesn't have traditional roles.  

Today I tried out Guardian and was amazed the amount of tanking and healing ability it has.  I have a feeling that even in GW2 we will start seeing specialization and dungeon group will still setup with 1 tank 1 heal and 3 DD mold. I bet Tank and Healer shortage will hit this game.

Roles in combat are good.

Dependency on specific classes to fill those roles is not good.

(I bet we won't).

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

OP is actually correct, to a point.  

The "rolls" do exist in GW2, but they aren't absolutes like traditional MMOs.   Some classes have higher mitigation, others can heal more.   All classes however have a degree of what a traditional MMO class would have.   So tanking, healing rolls are more of a support mechanism to briefly help out others, compared to only doing that roll.

For example you may want a Guardian or Warrior to open an encounter, but you would not want them to simply tank.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by grapevine

The "rolls" do exist in GW2, but they aren't absolutes like traditional MMOs.   Some classes have higher mitigation, others can heal more.   All classes however have a degree of what a traditional MMO class would have.   So tanking, healing rolls are more of a support mechanism to briefly help out others, compared to only doing that roll.

For example you may want a Guardian or Warrior to open an encounter, but you would not want them to simply tank.

That much may be true; but it's a dengerous mindset to get into.

This is what I forsee happening.

"Party lf 1 Guardian 2 run AC, PST"

"Hi, my name's Bobtheguardian. Can I join!"

"Yay! We got our tank!"

"Wait a minute guys...."

5 minutes later...

"OMG Worst tank ever y u no hold aggro!

"Um...you stood there in melee range and kept hitting it. You didn't use your blind, or your stuns, or dodge roll, or anything"

"Duh, ur the tank! that's ur job newb!" /partykick.

I mean, I wouldn't wanna be in that party anyway, but I don't wanna see the lazy mentality where people think "Guardian=dedicated tank/heals, so we can jsut DPS and ignore everything". A) It's not gonna work; B) if it does, I want Guardian to where it can't.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by terrant

"Yay! We got our tank!"

"Wait a minute guys...."

5 minutes later...

"Um...you stood there in melee range and kept hitting it. You didn't use your blind, or your stuns, or dodge roll, or anything"

"Duh, ur the tank! that's ur job newb!" /partykick.

I mean, I wouldn't wanna be in that party anyway, but I don't wanna see the lazy mentality where people think "Guardian=dedicated tank/heals, so we can jsut DPS and ignore everything". A) It's not gonna work; B) if it does, I want Guardian to where it can't.

I lol in RL.  I think I will skip dungeons for first month until everybody else get used to these things.  I am a PuGer.  

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I lol in RL.  I think I will skip dungeons for first month until everybody else get used to these things.  I am a PuGer.  

im also a PUGer but rather share in the learning misery

when EQ2 launched, there was a game mechanic of group experience debt

-- anyone dies and whole group gets penalized with exp debt 

i met some real winners that month, including someone who had the most deaths on the server but it was fun

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by grapevine

"Yay! We got our tank!"

This is where you would drop the group.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Today I tried out Guardian and was amazed the amount of tanking and healing ability it has.  I have a feeling that even in GW2 we will start seeing specialization and dungeon group will still setup with 1 tank 1 heal and 3 DD mold. I bet Tank and Healer shortage will hit this game.

No, you just need 5 warriors in ur group. 

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by lightblade

Please explain.

We had a secret test today.  You just did not get the memo.

BOOYAKA!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Ok, so without taunt or agro, there will be less tanking role,

However people can (and will) choose to just stick with DD, and not heal.  I remember Eye of Eternity/Malygos fight where many times the traditional heal wanted a take break and do DD but nobody else wanted to do the healing job.  

In MMO I have been playing tank/heal/DD and I guess GW2 is gonna throw some of traditional DD out of comfort zone. 

The game was sort of made for that, actually, so it's perfectly fine. You'll notice most heals and buffs affect the person casting them while also throwing a bone out to the people around them, the Ele's Healing Rain being the most obvious example. I use my Mesmer's Quickness whenever it's going to benefit me the most, but as a courtesy I also shout that I'm about to cast it so people can get close enough to benefit as well. It's sort of an all for one, one for all, kind of game. If you take care of your own survival, you sort of inadverdantly help others survive as well.

Certain classes (necro, guardian and engineer specifically) have to be slightly more aware of where the others in the team are and what they're doing, but it doesn't rest on their shoulders. For instance, if as a Guardian you put up an anti-arrow wall, and I'm too busy DPSing to get behind it and end up dead, whose fault is it? Yours for not jumping in front of me first, or me for not paying attention and noticing you gave me a way to defend myself? I'd say the latter.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Please go ahead and try and tank 5 mans with your guardian and let us know how that works out for you.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.