Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Quality Pay to Play MMORPG

jacolahajacolaha Member Posts: 18

So, I've tried enough games these days to learn that a quality F2P simple does not exist wihtout an extensive cash shop investment at some point. What I am looking for though is faily basic and I was hoping someone could point me to a game that is either pay to play or cash shop but not overly heavy, (Probably prefer P2P.)

Looking for a game that has the following:

Development/Content Patches at least 3 times a year, nothing major but enough that the game does change up from time to time.

Mediocore or better crafting system, I don't mind if its a bit tedious as long as it has some depth. WoW and EQII crafting kind of deal.

Decent length leveling expeirience.

Raids at end game or at least big bosses to work your way up to.

The game must be set in a sword @ shield stlye, just nothing futuristic.

Hopefully this isn't to much of a list, basically looking for something similar to WoW but not hugely cash shop heavy like RoM. Once again, dont mind paying to play and even an intial fee for the base game, I would honestly prefer to pay for active development of quality content then do another cash shop game.

Comments

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Maybe try Rift? Sounds like it might be up your alley. 
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Rift, Wow and EVE are the only successful p2p mmos which will not go f2p in the foreseeable future. Rift is a great game and if you haven't played wow yet it is a must play. EVE is also a great game in its niche. There is a reason tgese mmos are still p2p.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I can recommend TSW & EvE
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Check out GW2, will be available in 2 weeks, There will be no endgame raids however, but many huge open world bosses available through Dynamic events and normal 5 man dungeons.

Pricing is attractive, you only pay the box, and there is a small item shop but only for cosmetic items, there is no sub

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I would recommend TSW, even though it isnt classic sword and sorcery it still feels like it (if you skip the ranged weapon skills).  For Melee Chaos and Fist, Hammer and Blade is great for Hybrid I love Sword and Elem or Sword and Blood, for pure classical mage type then Elem and Blood are decent as well.

Also if you havnt played Rift then thats another solid choice.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Another reccomendation for Rift, sounds perfect for you, and Trion have proven to be amazing at content updates and care for the game.
  • jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I recommend you "Rift" , I am back to this game and I am having really good time there

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Rift

I think it is boring, but it has all the things you asked for.

It is a very solid game, I just don't find it fun, but you might like it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by ste2000

Rift

I think it is boring, but it has all the things you asked for.

It is a very solid game, I just don't find it fun, but you might like it.

+ 1

Seems like Rift will fit OP requirement best.

• rogabrrogabr Member Posts: 125
    RIFT is the closest you'll get to WoW without it actually being WoW
  • jacolahajacolaha Member Posts: 18

I wanted to take the time to post to thank all of you guys for constructive feedback, rather then just being forum trolls :). I am definitley going to check out both  TSW & Rift. I was checking out the TSW main site and had not noticed a trial option to be apparent.

Does anyone happen to know if there is a trial program or refferral program that can be used to briefly test the game before making a decision on which of the two games to purchase?

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108

Yeah Rift sounds like the game for now~ ;D

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

Rift sounds like the best bet for you for right now if you are looking to stick to it for a long period.

If you are just looking for a game to fill the time while waiting for other games and don't mind paying I would suggest Age of Conan or Vanguard Saga of Heroes. 

Both of these games have great dungeon gameplay. 

Vanguard shines more on the PvE/Crafting Aspect

Age of Conan shines on the PvP and Raiding aspect. 

Currently both are f2p games with premium membership which is needed to unlock everything. 

good luck with whichever games you decide to go with :D

-ozerinx

• syahiasyahia Member Posts: 1

I agree with most of the previous posts  :  you should try The Secret World and Rift. 

TSW is my favourite : it is an amazing game, very immersive and featuring new ways to play a MMO. It is a new game, but there will be additionnal content soon - and I guess the crafting system will be developped.

Rift is more mature (more content and crafting) but is is kind of a "standard" MMORPG.

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I would have to say try rift.. its really ok but it actually sounds like you should just continue with WoW and enjoy MoP since u clearly like the whole wow style of mmorpg gaming.. 

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by syahia

I agree with most of the previous posts  :  you should try The Secret World and Rift.  TSW is my favourite : it is an amazing game, very immersive and featuring new ways to play a MMO. It is a new game, but there will be additionnal content soon - and I guess the crafting system will be developped. Rift is more mature (more content and crafting) but is is kind of a "standard" MMORPG.

Totally agree.
  • NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

I don't know the status of the game at the moment but you should also have a look at Aion.

If you don't mind playing an older game you can also give DaoC a try. I'm not sure if Gaheris is still up (the coop server) but I always enjoyed those big server wide events where we did all the big bosses all together.

Aion is F2P with cash shop now

DaoC is P2P

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Should have mentioned what games you've already played. If you have not yet played WoW, you should. It's on sale now and you can get the game, all expansions and 30 days of game time for 20 USD/EUR.

If WoW is done for you, then Rift or TSW, or wait for GW2.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by jacolaha

Looking for a game that has the following:

Development/Content Patches at least 3 times a year, nothing major but enough that the game does change up from time to time.

Mediocore or better crafting system, I don't mind if its a bit tedious as long as it has some depth. WoW and EQII crafting kind of deal.

Decent length leveling expeirience.

Raids at end game or at least big bosses to work your way up to.

The game must be set in a sword @ shield stlye, just nothing futuristic.

I'd recommend you checking out GW2, it's B2P game with vanity cash shop :)

The game is comming out on 28th of this month.

It has this really good crafting system with a lot of options.. You can discover your own recepies just by combining few stuff yourself, so it's kinda like "sandboxy" crafting :D There is alot of recepies which you can't "learn" at the skill trader.

Has 80 levels with a flat leveling curve, which means the level doesn't really matter because if you are getting the exp too fast and are too strong for the area - you get sidekicked down to match the area level so you can still have a challenging experience of the worlds area. You gain experience for almost anything you do, you can do some heart events, or you can just go out and explore the world or get in action with nearby dynamic events... It all depends on what you wanna do in the game. :)

There are no "raids" and there is no "holy-trinity"... BUT there is a trinity of damage/control/support.

Which means your character can be any of those 3 roles, any time you like it... It all depends on the weapon choice you make and your chosen utilties.

The end game content is practically still unknown, there are rumors of what's been seen and known dungeons like the Shards of Orr which is the place where the undead dwell, and was a hard dungeon in GW1, so that's worth checking out. There are gigantic dragons around the world which you can fight and there are followups if you succeed or fail.. For instance, if you fail at banishing the undead dragon he'll start summoning the undead and they'll start crushing and devestating the villages and so it branches out and stuff like that... That's what "Dinamyc events" are in short. :)

The game's set in the beautiful world of tyria where the rules are "swords, axes, shields, bows and magic" and it's all made in this artistic like (they like to use the term "painterly art style") setup and it really looks great!

You can quicksearch the youtube for some videos which'll explain all of this much much better. :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• nedrithnedrith Member Posts: 21

+1 for rift, I can't say much for it's crafting system(I think it was half decent but I never got into crafting in that game) but it does have decent leveling time and it does have raids. 

I can't recommend TSW.  after playing it for a little less than a month at a rather decent play time(4 hours a day approx.) I have completed most of what the game has offered.  beat 3 of the 5 nightmare dungeons(hardest content) that existed when I played.  I have 66% of the skill's usable.  the game has crappy leveling time.  Yes I play a bit more than most people play but after having completed almost every quest in the game there really isn't much left to do.  The crafting system is also non-existant.  A crafting system similar to minecraft except competly lacks any kind of depth.  It's not all bad though.  the battle system is pretty good, finding good decks(skill builds) is fun, and the quests are some of the best I've ever seen.  worth playing for the story but not for a long term game.

If your looking for something that's like WoW but isn't WoW get Rift.