Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else find the controls to be clunky?

noseforautonoseforauto Member Posts: 46

Now that the betas are over, I was thinking back on my experience and assessing it. The controls had felt a little off, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was dicking around in WoW, just killing some time... when it dawned on me. WoW's controls feel a hell of a lot more tight than GW2's. I used these last few stress tests to reaffirm my suspicious, and sure enough they, indeed, felt quite clunky. I've heard people complaining about the camera before, which also feels a little weird, but I'm mainly talking about the character movement itself. For one, I've noticed that when I move back and forth, there is like a skip in frames or something, and my avatar jerks around. It kind of feels like there is a delay to all of my actions, which is a really annoying thing to have to deal with every second of playtime. Also, the jump arc feels off. It's too fast. I know a slow, smooth jump isn't necessarily realistic, but I think it feels a hell of a lot better in games. I mean look at most platformers, or even a lot of other MMOs. Jumping in GW2 feels really awkward.

These two things combined make the jumping puzzles a nightmare. I feel like if the same puzzles were in WoW, they'd be a cakewalk. Unfortunately, these don't seem like prevalent enough issues for them to "fix". Maybe I can get used to it once I spend enough time with the actual release. If not, then I don't think I'll be playing it.

Comments

• missegan24missegan24 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I don't think clunky is the appopriate term. 
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's true, but no game is a smooth as WoW. I still enjoy it though!

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Stress tests are a poor way to confirm one's notions, as they are inherently buggy as hell.
  • noseforautonoseforauto Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by missegan24 I don't think clunky is the appopriate term. 

I actually had my description notarized by the Duke of Adjectives, so take it up with him.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

It was nothing more than lag and they addressed it right before server went down this evening and apologized for it. Something they are working on and trying trying to fix.

The past BWE the controls have always been smooth and fluid, this stress test not so much!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    maybe it depends on one character/class you are. my charr warrior seems very clunky but my asura engineer feels smooth like a hot knife thru butter :O

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

There were clunky times, but that was during the stress tests and when servers were heavily loaded.

90% of my time in the beta weekends....smooth as butter.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

A) This is stress test 

B) One of the data centers in NA went down hence why all this lagginess

C) GW2 has seperate animations for upper and lower body which is why you'll see some crazy movements when jumping, using skill, auto attacking all at the same time.

D) Take the time to play around in the options, it makes your life a lot easier.

• NagasrakaNagasraka Member Posts: 2
    They did add a camera sensitivity control in the options.  Turning that up makes a huge difference.  Other than the speed the camera turns at by default, I haven't felt that the controls were clunky.
    Originally posted by Daggerjaydo
    Stress tests are a poor way to confirm one's notions, as they are inherently buggy as hell.

It's possible, but they also felt weird when I was in the betas. I just didn't really think about why or paid much attention to it. I didn't spend a whole lot of time playing in the betas, but after a while it started to grate on me. I'll see what happens when the game actually launches to make my final critique.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by noseforauto

It's possible, but they also felt weird when I was in the betas. I just didn't really think about why or paid much attention to it. I didn't spend a whole lot of time playing in the betas, but after a while it started to grate on me. I'll see what happens when the game actually launches to make my final critique.

You know you're right, it's the finally release. They just brought the servers down for extended maintenance.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

You know you're right, it's the finally release. They just brought the servers down for extended maintenance.

wow...umm he said "I'll see what happens when the game actually launches to make my final critique."

Clearly that means he knows it's still beta.

• kileakkileak Member Posts: 31

i've heard of some people feeling somewhat disjointed from their chars when they have had the height slider maxed out on some of the taler races, as the animations don't quiet match up to what your character is doing as fast. so this may of contributed to what you where sensing somewhat.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Actually I've been praising the game for how smooth it feels.. You must have hit some lag because when this game is running on all cylenders.. there isn't another game that I'd rate above it for controls.  Didn't play in the stress test past a bit yesterday but I'd strongly not recommend putting much by the performance in these tests.  They've specifically said there will be lag, bugs, resets, and wierd things happening. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I thought the controls seemed pretty smooth when there's no system lag. One thing worth noting is that the animations before and after you move do not actually effect the movement of your character. It seems similar to FF14 but its only visual.
  • bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I actually just discussed this with people on another forum. And we've had extensive discussions about this on here as well.

Your combat feels sluggish because of the auto attack, and the way animations work. The game is very responsible, and as soon as you press something, the server does receive it. However, the skill system works differently than WoW. I'll copy my post to here for combat:

"""

I should remind you that if you are using your number 1 skill on auto-attack, all skills MUST complete the animation of the current skill before the next skill can begin. That's why combat may seem clunky. If the animation for your number one as already begun, it must get to a certain point in the animation for the next skill you queued up to begin.

In WoW, many of the skills are instant cast, and when you press the key to execute those skills you get instant feedback that the skill did damage (regardless of what the animation is doing), whereas in GW2 when you press the key to execute your skills there's an animation associated with it and the skill doesn't actually land until it visually connects with the target. So there's a delay between when you start the skill and when you get that feedback of it doing damage.
    However, there's a major drawback to the WoW system. In order to balance that instant gratification responsiveness, they had to interject a false delay between successive skills... the global cooldown (GCD). GW2 does not use a GCD system but instead each skill has a cast time, even if it's very brief. So what's happening in the two systems is this: for WoW you get key press, damage, delay... key press, damage, delay; but for GW2 you get key press, delay, damage... key press, delay, damage.

Every skill in GW2 has a casting time, even if it's very small. Even melee attacks have a casting time (the animation). So you are probably experience this, as well as skill queuing (when you press a skill while another is in progress, it goes into a queue).
    """"

The bit about the skills being instant cast come from another post on this forum from a few weeks ago. You mentioned WoW that's why I mentioned it.

Also when you start running or change directions, there isn't a delay. It does happen instantly, however, there is an animation that makes it seem sluggish. So even though you turn right and you start running right you think it's taking awhile because of the animation. Then when you start moving, there is a slight animation of you speeding up, even though you're moving full speed as soon as you start moving forward.

And then someone also mentioned your lower body and upper body are separate.

The biggest problem is people are use to WoW's animations. Guild Wars 2 uses different animations, albet a little more realistic animations. That's also why going from say an Asura to a Norn, movement seems slow and sluggish. Your animation is moving fast as an Asura as there's a shorter stride, but as a Norn it's a little bit slower as there's a longer stride even though you're moving at the same speed.

This is kind of what I'm talking about. There is a disconnect between what you are pressing and what the character is doing. You can really tell when is moving back and forth. Notice how it looks really jerky, when he's moving around?

Originally posted by bookworm438 I actually just discussed this with people on another forum. And we've had extensive discussions about this on here as well. Your combat feels sluggish because of the auto attack, and the way animations work. The game is very responsible, and as soon as you press something, the server does receive it. However, the skill system works differently than WoW. I'll copy my post to here for combat: """ I should remind you that if you are using your number 1 skill on auto-attack, all skills MUST complete the animation of the current skill before the next skill can begin. That's why combat may seem clunky. If the animation for your number one as already begun, it must get to a certain point in the animation for the next skill you queued up to begin. In WoW, many of the skills are instant cast, and when you press the key to execute those skills you get instant feedback that the skill did damage (regardless of what the animation is doing), whereas in GW2 when you press the key to execute your skills there's an animation associated with it and the skill doesn't actually land until it visually connects with the target. So there's a delay between when you start the skill and when you get that feedback of it doing damage. However, there's a major drawback to the WoW system. In order to balance that instant gratification responsiveness, they had to interject a false delay between successive skills... the global cooldown (GCD). GW2 does not use a GCD system but instead each skill has a cast time, even if it's very brief. So what's happening in the two systems is this: for WoW you get key press, damage, delay... key press, damage, delay; but for GW2 you get key press, delay, damage... key press, delay, damage. Every skill in GW2 has a casting time, even if it's very small. Even melee attacks have a casting time (the animation). So you are probably experience this, as well as skill queuing (when you press a skill while another is in progress, it goes into a queue). """" The bit about the skills being instant cast come from another post on this forum from a few weeks ago. You mentioned WoW that's why I mentioned it.   Also when you start running or change directions, there isn't a delay. It does happen instantly, however, there is an animation that makes it seem sluggish. So even though you turn right and you start running right you think it's taking awhile because of the animation. Then when you start moving, there is a slight animation of you speeding up, even though you're moving full speed as soon as you start moving forward.   And then someone also mentioned your lower body and upper body are separate.   The biggest problem is people are use to WoW's animations. Guild Wars 2 uses different animations, albet a little more realistic animations. That's also why going from say an Asura to a Norn, movement seems slow and sluggish. Your animation is moving fast as an Asura as there's a shorter stride, but as a Norn it's a little bit slower as there's a longer stride even though you're moving at the same speed.

I was moving side to side, and I also watched the environment, so I could tell that it was accelerating immediately, but character itself wasn't quite syncing up with my button presses.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I feel that the controls are quite responsive and smooth.

But, I also don't really look at my character in combat other than peripherally, I'm watching the enemies and the environment.  So, maybe you are correct in that animations or character movement are not quite syncing up.   I just wouldn't notice that sort of thing.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

This is kind of what I'm talking about. There is a disconnect between what you are pressing and what the character is doing. You can really tell when is moving back and forth. Notice how it looks really jerky, when he's moving around?

Yeah that, I think i just never noticed it. Unfortunately I think it's the animations causing that, and I don't know if there's a way to fix that without taking out the animations.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I was moving side to side, and I also watched the environment, so I could tell that it was accelerating immediately, but character itself wasn't quite syncing up with my button presses.

That is what you get when you put transitional animations inbetween direction changes.  WoW has them too, but they aren't as obvious.  Think it has a lot to do with upper body lean and movement.

anyways...as others have stated (including you, right in this post I am quoting), this does not effect gameplay, just how it looks.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by bookworm438

Yeah that, I think i just never noticed it. Unfortunately I think it's the animations causing that, and I don't know if there's a way to fix that without taking out the animations.

Awhile back, during BWE2 i believe, there was a dev that addressed this issue.  He basically said they were looking into it, but that they compromised on keeping the transitional animations, even if it felt like the characters were sliding.  I guess they would rather have aesthetic animations instead of a solid feeling of control.  Also, the A & D keys (for turning) turn way to slow and there is no option to increase it.  This one point where i disagree with the devs..

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Now i finally understand what people mean by floaty characters. Something I never noticed. In pvp though I didn't notice it at all, i was too busy not getting my ass kicked.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Loose & floaty, not clunky.  I'm not a huge fan of it, but you get used to it.    It's kinda like going from a car w/ hydraulic power steering to electric power steering.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

One thing if you notice in the wow part of the video is the separation of animation in the lower half and upper half of the body. It looks very gamey.

About the "sliding", guess I'm just used to it from all of my time in GW as I don't even notice it in game.