Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Co-Founder Zeschuk flees SWTOR

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    He didnt leave Bioware. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/10/rumor-greg-zeschuk-leaving-bioware/   But we all know the hate towards swtor that we have here on mmorpg.com.  People really want to see the game fail, sadly for you guys, the new F2P model will bring an insane amount of money, resources and players to the game.     

But F2P doesn't bring in any money unless the players decide to buy a sub for the content that is unavailable to them normally, and most of the important content for SWTOR is in Story questing, which is given for free up to Level 50. What are they going to monetize anyways?

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    He didnt leave Bioware. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/10/rumor-greg-zeschuk-leaving-bioware/   But we all know the hate towards swtor that we have here on mmorpg.com.  People really want to see the game fail, sadly for you guys, the new F2P model will bring an insane amount of money, resources and players to the game.     

This made me LOL.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

[mod edit]

Comments like these are what creates the rifts between the communities, Aerowyn.  And then you guys wonder why people complain about the GW2 fans?  Jesus, give me a break. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

But F2P doesn't bring in any money unless the players decide to buy a sub for the content that is unavailable to them normally, and most of the important content for SWTOR is in Story questing, which is given for free up to Level 50. What are they going to monetize anyways?

Many successful F2P don't put a level limit on the free portion.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

[mod edit]

Sadly for you, is a fact and not a dream. Did you remember how dead was Lotro or AoC? and even a game like STO?. I do remember Lotro with more than 1 mill of new players after the F2P model, a 300%  increase in peak concurrency, 400% in active players, and tripled revenue since the F2P model. And then you have SWTOR, the game still have around 1 mill of subs and more and less it will keep than number till november, all you need to do is some maths. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal

[mod edit]

Comments like these are what creates the rifts between the communities, Aerowyn.  And then you guys wonder why people complain about the GW2 fans?  Jesus, give me a break. 

only reason I posted that was because of who posted it.. I generally stay out of swtor forums nowadays but hikaru seems the constant need to bash on games and spread false information

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

[mod edit]

Sadly for you, is a fact and not a dream. Did you remember how dead was Lotro or AoC? and even a game like STO?. I do remember Lotro with more than 1 mill of new players after the F2P model, a 300%  increase in peak concurrency, 400% in active players, and tripled revenue since the F2P model. And then you have SWTOR, the game still have around 1 mill of subs and more and less it will keep than number till november, all you need to do is some maths. 

issue is like posted above swtor is giving its best content away for free.. there really is no reason to spend any money on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om-qktvbUD8&feature=g-all-u

so it will help getting more people on the servers for PVE leveling content but don't see it helping much for people wanting more people looking for raiders and pvpers. Also don't see them releasing content any faster than they are now which is pretty slow to begin with. But you keep on posting your opinions and believing they are facts

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

[mod edit]

issue is like posted above swtor is giving its best content away for free.. there really is no reason to spend any money on it

so it will help getting more people on the servers for PVE leveling content but don't see it helping much for people wanting more people looking for raiders and pvpers. Also don't see them releasing content any faster than they are now which is pretty slow to begin with. But you keep on posting your opinions and believing they are facts

In addition, this is EA who's doing this f2P conversion, and it's their first one too. So the potential to botch it up is there, and add in the fact that EA has a infamous reputation for being the ultimate nickel and dimers of the industry, and it's a potential recipe for armageddon.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

[mod edit]

They are not givien the best content for free, Is pretty much the same model as Lotro, sure you can play all the game till 50, but you´ll have limited warzones per week, FP, credits, OPS, etc etc. And they are doing this to bring content more faster than they do now, but just go and read swtor.com for more info about this i dont gonna make a list here. 

[mod edit]

They are not givien the best content for free, Is pretty much the same model as Lotro, sure you can play all the game till 50, but you´ll have limited warzones per week, FP, credits, OPS, etc etc. And they are doing this to bring content more faster than they do now, but just go and read swtor.com for more info about this i dont gonna make a list here. 

what do you consider the games best content? most people  I have talked to say the leveling to level 50 and the class stories which will be free

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

[mod edit]

Umm if it's going to be just like Lotro  you wouldn't be able to do a quest past the newb area.  I'm pretty sure they are allowing you to do a quest past the newb area.

People and their love for the Lotro freemium is almost as baffling to me as people that love animation lock in TERA...

• audiophilusaudiophilus Member Posts: 6

[mod edit]

Turbine did a good job integrating F2P into their games. They are, essentially, the gold standard, I think. You can pay as you go, a little bit at a time, or you can subscribe and not worry about it. There is also the illusion of value created by playing the game and grinding out tiny amounts of P2P currency. And I'm pretty sure LOTRO has the largest numbers of active users and makes the most money out of all of the P2P-F2P transition games.

I don't think other publishers have done nearly as good of a job at transition. The SOE model, for instance, feels very tacked on and serves mostly as an extended trial that tries to annoy you into subscribing. It was probably helpful to their bottom line, but, I think, mostly because EQ2 and Vanguard were doing so poorly. And honestly, those were both extremely neglected games. Vanguard still has major bugs since release and EQ2 is a Frankenstein's monster of development styles.

SWTOR's F2P model is partially unknown. Though the "matrix" has been release, it references a lot of a lot of vague features that haven't been pinned down. But, in any case, it doesn't look as well thought out or detailed as the Turbine model. A Turbine-like model would have made the first two planets free and ~5$ for each additional planet. There doesn't look like any sort of "pay as you go" route, but, instead, EA decided to make that part completely free and charge you for the things that most players find to be the weakest part of the game and what casual players (who spend money without costing much) don't even care about.

So, while I think the SWTOR's F2P transition will probably be mostly benificial in terms of active users and revenues, I think, it probably won't be as great as what Turbine has done, because they don't appear to be following Turbine's model.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I don't care about this guy. Sack Erickson and the rest of the production-level shot-callers who built the game as it released.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Oh, I do not take ANY pleasure in what has happened to Bioware and SWTOR. I think what happend with them will make it harder for games I want to play to make it to market. Right now, most of us have turned into gawkers passing by a god-awful wreck on the highway and have slowed down to peer into the mess.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I don't read anything into this other than the fact that the man wanted to get back to his family. While working in Austin his family continued to live in Canada. EA appears to be satisfied with the job he did inasmuch as they will continue to employ him.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    His job on developing SWTOR was a temporary position from day 1. His family didnt even move to his new location because he was always going to come back after a short amount of time. Now he's moving back to his normal job.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I hope he doesn't flee to GW2..........We don't need anymore voice acting video clips crap.

Too much voice acting not enough game.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

[mod edit]

what do you consider the games best content? most people  I have talked to say the leveling to level 50 and the class stories which will be free

The story is generally regarded as the best part of the game, no argument there. Story after level 50 (of which there is a new planet coming soon, and undoubtedly more planned down the track) will most likely not be for free as per what they've said in announcements. The current story content that exists in the game is free, future story content is not and will probably rake in a ton of money.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I think you'll seen more fallout soon, despite what the fans want to believe this title is really underperforming compared to the lofty expecations expected for it and heads are going to roll.

This really was supposed to be the WOW killer folks, failing at that there's going to be a lot of shock and awe for a while.

What do you care what the fans think? If they are enjoying the game who gives a crap.

What do you care what K. thinks? If he enjoys dicussing what is happening to Bioware Austin who gives a crap?

people really need to find something better to do.

Better than hanging out on a Gaming Forum and posting/trolling off-topic? What could possibly be better that that?  image

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

As much as I no longer enjoy ToR, I do hope that investors don't give up on sci-fi MMOs (yes, there isn't any science in starwars. it's space opera).

Defiance, Wildstar and Firefall... Please be good.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    there is one great thing coming out of all of this though , other studios out there will now finally get it , you do NOT go to bed with EA or you do not have a studio. Mark Jacobs and mythic learned the hard way even after many many warnings during the dawn of camelot phase . Then we ended up with warhammer online , a crappy version of DAOC vs WOW and a dead studio with no more money or jobs merged into Bioware. Now look EA is doing it once again with layoffs after release and another studio being destroyed from the inside out . Wonder if Funcom will go to bed with em next so we can have bioware/funcom and continue the cycle. IF company owners are stupid enough to do business with the tycoon of the industry and bane , they deserve to get what they get in the end.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I think you'll seen more fallout soon, despite what the fans want to believe this title is really underperforming compared to the lofty expecations expected for it and heads are going to roll.

This really was supposed to be the WOW killer folks, failing at that there's going to be a lot of shock and awe for a while.

What do you care what the fans think? If they are enjoying the game who gives a crap.

What do you care what K. thinks? If he enjoys dicussing what is happening to Bioware Austin who gives a crap?

Holy smokes! That was like a logic bomb or something going off... ZING!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I'm glad that their cut-and-paste mentality wasn't rewarded as well as they expected. They sold loads of copies because of the name alone, and they didn't even have all of the basic MMO features that people expect. The storyline's all seemed rather dull for the most part, as well, which was supposed to be their biggest selling point along with 100% voice acting -- which just happened to be 100% overdone to the point they weren't even that exciting to watch after the starting zone. The voice acted crap side quests all over the place was an unnecessary money sink for the devs, which should have been trying to improve their combat system to be more fun and faster-paced as I would have expected from a Star Wars game.

I, like many others, had such high hopes for this game, and look what they did to it by half-assing every other feature just to bring in 100% voice acting.

Third time's the charm, and the faster this game closes down, the faster we can get another studio making another SW MMO. Or maybe they'll just give up entirely on MMO's at this point.

Originally posted by olisud
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Been there seen that. Bioware is done. The reverse midas touch of EA lives on.

[mod edit]

they meant the bioware of the past the bioware that brought us baldurs gate, neverwinter nights, and such is done and gone..

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by olisud
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Been there seen that. Bioware is done. The reverse midas touch of EA lives on.

[mod edit]

What games they created is a moot point when someone is talking in present/future tense. I also believe that BioWare as they were are long dead. Their games' quality will never be the same as they used to be when they were independent.  Too much "rush rush rush, get it out NOW, make us money" talk from EA.