Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ask a freshly laid-off Funcom GM anything...

Comments

• Mage_FrancisMage_Francis Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Xirik
    someone seems butthurt about being fired :)

No butt's were hurt.

Originally posted by NyQuil81

Assuming this guy was an actual GM, I guess I would ask, "Are you planning on retiring now?" and "Do you have any interest in getting another job in the industry?"  Don't think it's usually a good idea to visit public forums after getting canned to start airing all the dirty laundry of the company you just worked for.  Future employers probably won't think that is an admirable quality.

Yes I am going to school right now and attempting to find another job in the gaming industry.

Originally posted by cronius77
    wont be asking him anything i guess since people decided to report the guy instead of hearing him out.

No one reported me.  I just thought it would be fun to answer questions about the game since I can talk about stuff now.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Mage_Francis

Assuming this guy was an actual GM, I guess I would ask, "Are you planning on retiring now?" and "Do you have any interest in getting another job in the industry?"  Don't think it's usually a good idea to visit public forums after getting canned to start airing all the dirty laundry of the company you just worked for.  Future employers probably won't think that is an admirable quality.

Yes I am going to school right now and attempting to find another job in the gaming industry.

Well if you are legit, this isn't the way to go about looking for work. Anything you do here is a trail. If you think you are invulnerable and won't be discovered you may be fooling yourself. I would just stop. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Well if you are legit, this isn't the way to go about looking for work. Anything you do here is a trail. If you think you are invulnerable and won't be discovered you may be fooling yourself. I would just stop. 

I can assure you that future employers won't see this thread.  Even if they did they would have no idea who I am in real life.

I can assure you that future employers won't see this thread.  Even if they did they would have no idea who I am in real life.

Well good luck to you. I will leave it to other forum members to hang you. I'm moving on! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

No one has any real questions about being a GM and how issues are handled?  Anything specific?  I am not looking to dish dirty laundry I am here to give out real information without CS smoke and mirrors.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

No one has any real questions about being a GM and how issues are handled?  Anything specific?  I am not looking to dish dirty laundry I am here to give out real information without CS smoke and mirrors.

do they plan on fixing ai maping so i can not just jump over a fence repededly to kill the mobs in TSW, Is anarchy online ever going to have a 2nd version where vehicales dont grow and shrink(that stuff is creepy) Will AoC close anytime soon?

Originally posted by Zooce

Have you pre-ordered GW2 yet?

Did you play TSW, if so how far did you progress?

What was your most memorable experience answering a petition?

I have not pre-ordered GW2 yet.  I might play it but i was apart of  early beta and didn't really care for it.  

I did play TSW here and there and got to Egypt, but since I worked so much on the game I kind of didn't wan to come home after 8 hours and continue playing it.  Plus, I spend a lot of my free time working on my own games.

There were a lot of memorable petitions.  One in particular was from a gentleman who wanted to pay for his subscription with foodstamp/medicade.  Some of the the name changes I had to make for player's were pretty hilarious.  Ronald "TheRapeTrain" McDonald will always have a special place in my heart.

Well good luck to you. I will leave it to other forum members to hang you. I'm moving on! :)

Over dramatic much?

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Alright - well for whatever reason I like TSW more than GW2 so I will roll with it.

Is there any plans for changes to combat - i.e. making it easier s.t. I don't have to spawm my builder 5 times in a row? Is there a PvP overhaul in the works? Are they really planning to stick to patch once a month? What is the plan for CS now that a whole lot of you got fired - does it mean that wait time for us will be a lot longer? How far off is group finder tool?

Thanks!

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I had reason to contact TSW CS and they handled my issue promptly and courteously, so I was quite impressed. If that was you, good job!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Simple questions:

How did you get the job?

Did it pay well?

Are you playing any other MMOs?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

They do not need to see it, it is your attitude and nature you present here. Same attitude and nature that will follow you everywhere.

Originally posted by Weretigar

do they plan on fixing ai maping so i can not just jump over a fence repededly to kill the mobs in TSW, Is anarchy online ever going to have a 2nd version where vehicales dont grow and shrink(that stuff is creepy) Will AoC close anytime soon?

Unfortunately the information we were actually given on what was fixed and what was broken was a little on the need to know/find out for yourself basis.  Most GM's didn't really touch AO.  The senior GM's mostly handled that game as their player base were a lot more difficult to deal with.  I have no idea about AoC except most of the petitions I got from that were angry player's who were trying to scam for a feather of Ibis lol.  However, with multiple server merges AoC seems to be on it's way out.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Hello, MMORPG people. 

Well... a lot of us GMs got let go today, myself included. After quite a bit of time and effort spent supporting the games you know (Well. Probably not.) and love (Hmm. Not bloody likely.) I'm fully prepared to tell you anything you'd ever want to know about exactly what it is that goes on behind the proverbial scenes in The Secret World, Age of Conan, and Anarchy Online. 

So. What you got, forum? 

why was siegeing never fixed in age of conan?

why was it in age of conan beta we had mini games, and pvp stats but when the game came out those things were missing and the pvp stats didnt come out till loooong after the game was out?

why did funcom add guards to the pvp servers destroying world pvp?

Over dramatic much?

Sometimes. But mostly I have always used some common sense. It helped me through my career and now I'm retired. I'm not knocking your decision if this is true, I just question the outcome and purpose. o.O

Originally posted by Urza123

Alright - well for whatever reason I like TSW more than GW2 so I will roll with it.

Is there any plans for changes to combat - i.e. making it easier s.t. I don't have to spawm my builder 5 times in a row? Is there a PvP overhaul in the works? Are they really planning to stick to patch once a month? What is the plan for CS now that a whole lot of you got fired - does it mean that wait time for us will be a lot longer? How far off is group finder tool?

Thanks!

It is going to be a lot longer of a wait now I can assure you that. I doubt that there are going to advance TSW pvp  any farther as the main draw to the game sems to be the pve.  They will hopefully release Raids soon.  If a group finder tool is made you better expect it to be broken when they implement it.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

There were a lot of memorable petitions.  One in particular was from a gentleman who wanted to pay for his subscription with foodstamp/medicade.  Some of the the name changes I had to make for player's were pretty hilarious.  Ronald "TheRapeTrain" McDonald will always have a special place in my heart.

LOL! Poor Ronald "Default1429" McDonald.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Well.

I was very sorry to read the news on the Funcom site. I'm guessing the CS staff layoffs are the "... currently implementing several cost-adjustment initiatives due to the expected lower initial revenues from The Secret World to secure future positive cash flows." =/

I love the game and very much want to see it succeed. But I know that the executive suite folks don't have any clue what the folks in the trenches do, and that they make decisions based on profitability, stock price and investor sentiment.

I don't have any questions for a TSW GM but I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed working there.

Originally posted by Kniknax

I had reason to contact TSW CS and they handled my issue promptly and courteously, so I was quite impressed. If that was you, good job!

Unfortuntately I cannot give out myt GM name, but I was extremely nice to our customer base who were respectful and patient.  I was pretty sure I would be kept on because my survey scores were very hight, but they couldn't afford to keep most of us on.  

• TellusMarsTellusMars Member Posts: 4

From an ex Funcom to another.

I am sorry you was let go my friend, but giving out information other than public knowledge

is not a good thing. I loved my years in Funcom creative and Fun and would never discuss

GM stuff to the public like you intend to. It could take the fun out of the game for some players.

I am a TWS Fan as many others here and I hate spoilers and I think a Moderator should kill this tread if it's out of line.

Good luck with the school and job future :-)

Originally posted by Gdemami

They do not need to see it, it is your attitude and nature you present here. Same attitude and nature that will follow you everywhere.

You are completely right and I loved working for Funcom.  I just going to assume this is not a negative post as I have not displayed any negative attitude toward the company.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    you have any clue why gear manager is STILL broken?  IE You setup sets of gear/skills in the manager play for awhile, log out then back in and try swapping sets it will unequip any gear that was damaged because it thinks it's differn't gear. This has been an issue since beta and with the skill wheel and multiple decks I still can't believe this is not fixed.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• gtmaster32gtmaster32 Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Hello, MMORPG people. 

Well... a lot of us GMs got let go today, myself included. After quite a bit of time and effort spent supporting the games you know (Well. Probably not.) and love (Hmm. Not bloody likely.) I'm fully prepared to tell you anything you'd ever want to know about exactly what it is that goes on behind the proverbial scenes in The Secret World, Age of Conan, and Anarchy Online. 

So. What you got, forum? 

Mage, I'm sorry you were let go, but this thread seems like a bad idea. For the posters, it's wonderful - it's pitchfork, torch and witch hunt party time. For you, it'll probably be a lot of fun to vent for the next couple hours, but think about what you're going to write. Saying this for your sake, not mine, as I'm just as happy to see you hang yourself and everyone else here. image

I agree with this ^. I would watch what you say incase say you were going for another job as a GM and someone found or told your employer about this thread, if it were still up, that is. It could really hurt future job offers.

This discussion has been closed.