Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Don't They Make Fluff Items Less Ridiculous?

13»

Comments

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

personally I'd never play a game with pink pegasi sporting heart shaped wings at all. its too weird. never liked stuff like alice in wonderland or similar stories with schitzo logic. even when I was a kid.

but if there was a pegasus that looked like a normal horse with realistic wings fine. I'd prefer a gryphon, but a pegasus is fine, as long as it fit the lore.

if there was a unicorn mount in asoiaf online thats also okay. there have been mentions of unicorns in the series. as long as they don't have horns banded in the colours of the rainbow and have heart shaped markings and pink fur.

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Someday a game will let me ride a narwal.  On that day, I will rejoice.
  • Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by ItsGopher

rofl.. 

Fantasy is fantasy. I urge you to read the definition of fantasy. It's all about your imagination. If you have a simple mind, and aren't open to what fantasy really is; no you aren't going to like it. A big ass pink bunny doesn't exist in the real world does it, no; that makes it a fantasy creation. 

So sticking Stormtroopers from Star Wars that ride around on 100ft tall pink dildos whilst screaming "USA USA USA!!" over and over again. Or having Marilyn Monroe as a major character, would work brilliantly in Tolkien's Middle Earth setting?

As the poster mentioned earlier, fantasy can be anything, but once you have established a world/setting then no, not everything goes without breaking the immersion of that specific world.

That's what I was trying to get at. Apparently I am one of the only one's who doesn't enjoy overy ridiculous fluff-items in their fantasy MMOs.

It is not really that you are the only one that does or doesn't enjoy it, but that as the name implies fluff items are ment to be items in the game that can be used for either lightening the mood of the game itself, or which the players use for some humorous enterainment in the game. I mean fluff as a noun does basically mean somethign which is light, soft, and fuzzy by nature of what it is, as such fluff items as shown fall straight into that definition. I mean you have vanity items which to me atleast would fall more to where they should fallow the lore and design of the setting, but fluff items are ment to items that are used for humor an being largely ridiculous just by virtue of what being fluff actually means (light, fluffy, and whimsical.).

Really i think in way you really can not have a fluff item in a game if it really honestly is designed to fit the lore and such fo the set as part of being fluff is to be somethign that stands out from the rest of the items. Where as vanity items are more about somethign that is solely designed for appeance an uniqueness in the game, as such the item would need to be much more build around fitting the setting as it is not there to stand out like fluff items are. This is kinda why in many games you have that divide which splits items between ones that are fluff items (whimsical mounts, weapons, and such that have no other value, or effect then just being over the top odd-ball items in the setting.), while then you have vanity items which are more almost items ment to display affinities for certain styles in the game, or as rewards for specific content that has ben done.). Also how can you really define if a fluff item is too whimsical or out-landish, when that is kinda the point of the item being fluff really.

Another this is that  this thread basically largely boils down to being about immersion in a setting versus entertainment thru noon immersion items or events. Which is kinda not going to go over well since many people play mmos an other games for entertainment as such you need to have alot of varying styles of entertainement for the masses of players that play, as such you will have some people that play which like that fluff an whimsical enjoyment of playing or using fluf items in the game.Neither side is really right as both are playing for fun, but tthe issue is that both sides will sacrifice some enjoyment of the game for the otherside to gain some enjoyment for themselves. Such as people that like fluf items destroying immerson for players that actually want to be immersed in the setting, while the reverse is true as well that players wanting to be fully immersed will make those seeking a more light-hearted fee an time playing find it much less reducing their enjoyment of the game as well. I am not sure you could ever fully balance out the ratio of being immersed in the game setting, an having fluff items that still allow for more humor an light-hearted entertainement in game settings, since you will always have those players that are either going to be purest wanting just items or content that fit the setting, and people that just want to have items which allow them to enjoy the game in their prefered method regardless of setting.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Asuran24

rofl.. 

Fantasy is fantasy. I urge you to read the definition of fantasy. It's all about your imagination. If you have a simple mind, and aren't open to what fantasy really is; no you aren't going to like it. A big ass pink bunny doesn't exist in the real world does it, no; that makes it a fantasy creation. 

So sticking Stormtroopers from Star Wars that ride around on 100ft tall pink dildos whilst screaming "USA USA USA!!" over and over again. Or having Marilyn Monroe as a major character, would work brilliantly in Tolkien's Middle Earth setting?

As the poster mentioned earlier, fantasy can be anything, but once you have established a world/setting then no, not everything goes without breaking the immersion of that specific world.

That's what I was trying to get at. Apparently I am one of the only one's who doesn't enjoy overy ridiculous fluff-items in their fantasy MMOs.

It is not really that you are the only one that does or doesn't enjoy it, but that as the name implies fluff items are ment to be items in the game that can be used for either lightening the mood of the game itself, or which the players use for some humorous enterainment in the game. I mean fluff as a noun does basically mean somethign which is light, soft, and fuzzy by nature of what it is, as such fluff items as shown fall straight into that definition. I mean you have vanity items which to me atleast would fall more to where they should fallow the lore and design of the setting, but fluff items are ment to items that are used for humor an being largely ridiculous just by virtue of what being fluff actually means (light, fluffy, and whimsical.).

Really i think in way you really can not have a fluff item in a game if it really honestly is designed to fit the lore and such fo the set as part of being fluff is to be somethign that stands out from the rest of the items. Where as vanity items are more about somethign that is solely designed for appeance an uniqueness in the game, as such the item would need to be much more build around fitting the setting as it is not there to stand out like fluff items are. This is kinda why in many games you have that divide which splits items between ones that are fluff items (whimsical mounts, weapons, and such that have no other value, or effect then just being over the top odd-ball items in the setting.), while then you have vanity items which are more almost items ment to display affinities for certain styles in the game, or as rewards for specific content that has ben done.). Also how can you really define if a fluff item is too whimsical or out-landish, when that is kinda the point of the item being fluff really.

To me fluff-items and vanity-items are the same thing in games so I sort of generalized the two as one. And outfits in MMOs rarely fit their setting if you buy them from the cash shop, which is unfortunate, but has for one reason or anotther become today's standard.

Smile

Originally posted by Asuran24

rofl.. 

To me fluff-items and vanity-items are the same thing in games so I sort of generalized the two as one. And outfits in MMOs rarely fit their setting if you buy them from the cash shop, which is unfortunate, but has for one reason or anotther become today's standard.

yet generalizing is the down-fall here as fluff items and vanity items are not the same at all trully, since by definition one is used for one activity, and the other is more for another activity. Alot of the cash-shop items are fluff items with most of the true vanity items atleast for looks are in game (most of the rpers and such would complain like hell if they had to spend money to get that in the cs.), and so f course the best next item to sell is fluff items in teh cs an they actually have no harmful impact outside of ruining immersion which is not that big for most players. Though i would say that most settings in mmos the non-vanity items fit very well into the setting most of all in original settings like rift.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

As long as it fits in with the theme of the game then so be it.

There's plenty of room for games that don't take themselves seriously and try to be whimsical and silly.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by dave6660

As long as it fits in with the theme of the game then so be it.

There's plenty of room for games that don't take themselves seriously and try to be whimsical and silly.

I was talking about the games that it doesn't fit with the theme...

Smile