Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Google Earth is actually useful

CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,437Member Uncommon

Maybe this is old news to other people but I never though that mapping the world in such detail could actually be useful for anything.

I remembered some japanese restaurant that had take-out but didn't want to drive through small streets (if you've never been to Europe, we have the smallest streets) trying to find where the restaurant was. I don't mind driving around but it's not something that's I actually like to do, especially someplace I'm  not familiar with.

So I basically went "driving" on my PC with Google Earth through the street view thing where they map the street in super high detail an you can look left and right. I found the restaurant and the picture was so high quality that I could actually read the phone number from the sign.

There you go, it actually has a use for me.

Comments

• madazzmadazz A town, ONPosts: 1,768Member Uncommon
    I've done similar just using plain ole street view!
  • HazelleHazelle Brampton, ONPosts: 760Member
    Originally posted by madazz
    I've done similar just using plain ole street view!

I use that everytime I drive somewhere I've never been before to plan my route.

• IchiRyutarouIchiRyutarou ManilaPosts: 7Member
    LOL True. I used the same method when I was job-hunting, to look for bulidings I had to go to for interviews and such. I'm not good at my own city's geography so google maps really helped. Least thing I want to happen was get lost on a way. 
  • AelfinnAelfinn Roundabouts that cold chill moving up your spine, NCPosts: 3,857Member
    I was actually trying to find a large field out in the middle of nowhere on one occaison. I remembered its configuration and general area, but not its entrance. Spent a bit of time visualizing the field from above, then went "flying" around until I spotted one that matched, went to street view at that point to confirm and locate the address.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• UjfalusiUjfalusi Santon, ALPosts: 5Member
    yup, i use it quite a bit for street maps as well :D 
  • Man1acMan1ac EnglandPosts: 1,428Member

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• meilmeil HONG KONGPosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by Man1ac

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/330782

interesting news!
  • MightyBeeMightyBee HertfortPosts: 43Member

Oooh yes, this Google Earth saved me from getting lost for so many times. I wonder how people lived without it :D.

No, really, I always check the unknown route before I leave and I don't have any difficulties on the road.