Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online isn't getting a lot of hype

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

this game is going to be a disaster zone on an epic level and for those who say we dont know anything about the game, yes we do.

It is the great cliche.  We are told "you don't know anything" when all we did was quote the developer teling you exactly what the game will include.

It is like the low information voter who claims "I voted for the guy, but never expected he would do this", when "this" happened to be what the individual actually campaigned on.

We know what ESO will be, and what it won't be.   The questions aren't "what will the game be" but rather "does it set out to do what it sets out to do" and "am I interested in what it offers."

Subjective answers all of them.  But we know what ESO is.

Originally posted by Castillle
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Well being someone who played morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim i think by making an elders scrolls game that isn't an elders scrolls game was a bad idea. Regardless of wether or not it is a good game it will not be what it should be. I hope it is good but am dissapointed regardless. I think they set themselves up badly with this one. 

Was World of Warcraft like Warcraft 1, 2 or 3?

Things don't always have to be the same to be a successful, great game.

Someone hasnt played the Rexxar Campaign.

Bingo.  And that was a free bit of marketing blizzard did there for WoW.  Not only to guide fans slowly into the RPG format, but to show people that they could handle things of an RPG nature competently.  And if it failed, oh well, was just a one-off campaign for an expansion pack!

Blizzard knew the change was going to be particularly jarring for long-term fans of the Warcraft series.  So they guided them slowly in.  First episode to dip their feet in, then going even higher on RPG nature for episodes II and III, and leaving you wondering "imagine if I could do this with 4 fellow players instead of just computer AI?"

It should be obvious by now, but Blizzard wasn't stupid.

Can TESO do something similar?  I doubt it.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

This is the internet, informed rational discussion is elsewhere. Take the deal with the Hero engine. Just because Bioware used an old version and made a bag game with it, doesn't make the engine bad. And TESO's lead also claims the Hero engine was only used for prototyping and is not going to be the final engine.

But hey! Why let facts get in the way, bash a game you only seen a trailer of because another game company made a bad game.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by sfc1971

This is the internet, informed rational discussion is elsewhere. Take the deal with the Hero engine. Just because Bioware used an old version and made a bag game with it, doesn't make the engine bad. And TESO's lead also claims the Hero engine was only used for prototyping and is not going to be the final engine.

But hey! Why let facts get in the way, bash a game you only seen a trailer of because another game company made a bad game.

When you sit down and turn on the TV and the news caster says 'there will be a football game tonight at 11 with one team vs another team'

Then there is a good chance that is actually going to be what happens at 11, would you not agree?

So when Zenimax says 'there will be no housing and you will have to choose between three factions' I think there is good reason to expect that there will be 3 forced factions and no housing. DO you disagree with that?

These are the statements we are basing our views off of

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by iceman00

this game is going to be a disaster zone on an epic level and for those who say we dont know anything about the game, yes we do.

It is the great cliche.  We are told "you don't know anything" when all we did was quote the developer teling you exactly what the game will include.

It is like the low information voter who claims "I voted for the guy, but never expected he would do this", when "this" happened to be what the individual actually campaigned on.

We know what ESO will be, and what it won't be.   The questions aren't "what will the game be" but rather "does it set out to do what it sets out to do" and "am I interested in what it offers."

its like sitting on the couch with someone watching the TV and the advertisment says 'the game will start at 11 and will be team x vs team y' and the guy next to you says 'we have no idea when the game starts'

Its stupidity at a level that makes me wonder if zenimax isnt paying people to come on message boards.

• nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32

no u dont captain obvious.

play the game then u might know something 

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Is it yet time for massive hype? I mean how long can you hype a game and not get people dissapointed... What is launch schedule?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

When you sit down and turn on the TV and the news caster says 'there will be a football game tonight at 11 with one team vs another team'

Then there is a good chance that is actually going to be what happens at 11, would you not agree?

So when Zenimax says 'there will be no housing and you will have to choose between three factions' I think there is good reason to expect that there will be 3 forced factions and no housing. DO you disagree with that?

And when someone says "so you're basing the quality of a game on what it isn't, rather than what it is" would you disagree with that?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yes because TOR had an "endgame never seen before"... And AOC had "drunken brawling".

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    when the developers says things like "It will be a success because its Elder Scrolls" it fills me with a sense of forboding.
    Originally posted by Distopia

And when someone says "so you're basing the quality of a game on what it isn't, rather than what it is" would you disagree with that?

if you are a football fan and the advertiser on the TV says 'we will have a show at 11pm but its NOT a football game' then sure you could watch it if you are curious but if you want to watch a football game that would not be the channel you would watch at 11 pm now would it?

do we really have to explain this?

Originally posted by Distopia

Yes because TOR had an "endgame never seen before"... And AOC had "drunken brawling".

In TOR's defense, they were correct:

No big game MMO has ever had an endgame that flippin buggy and that flippin unfinished, and that flippin unsatisfying.

ESO says it is going to be tab based targeting, locked factions, no player housing because it is to "difficult", and basing most of its concepts off of standard MMO cliches, because that is what sells.  We also know they don't view it an MMO, but "an online RPG."

So once again, for people who don't want a boring cliche, what more info do they need?

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55

Elder Scrolls main audience are single player game players, not MMO players (although they do play it as well).

I guess what I am trying to say is that they don't need hype, when it releases the fans from the single player games will flock to it bringing a lot of MMO players with them.

They haven't made any bold claims or attacked world of warcraft like other MMO makers, they are beign quiet. Hopefully silent but deadly, we will have to see.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    How does one hype poop in a bucket?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Hahahahah ^this. I cant think of an MMO from a major IP that people have literally cared less about...ever.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

"We've taken everything you have loved about a fresh wild shit in the woods as well as the features of a more mainstream crap one would find in modern toilets and combined the two.

We give you: Turd in a Bucket"

Thats how you hype image

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Talking to yourself, first sign of madness
  • SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Talking to yourself, first sign of madness

8th sign of pure genius

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    I'm sure hype will build up with beta, at the moment we have hardly seen anything. Give more info soon please.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by KingGator

You watch, elder scrolls is going to be a solid offering, I am basing this totally off karma as we know nothing much about the game, all we knew for sure is that butt hurt regular elder scrolls fan feels betrayed because it doesn't have fps wackamole combat

and as such flames it none stop. 

the game was announced this summer

i dont see Titan or EQNext getting hype either

once they start showing game features -- hype will build

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

You watch, elder scrolls is going to be a solid offering, I am basing this totally off karma as we know nothing much about the game, all we knew for sure is that butt hurt regular elder scrolls fan feels betrayed because it doesn't have fps wackamole combat

Could not care less about the FPS whack-a-mole combat. What bothers me (and I think most other TES fans) is that TESo will be a fixed faction game set in the TES world but basically be a WoW clone without the sandbox features that we love so much about TES :(

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Syno23

Perhaps more hype and fansites will be out in the future. But for right now, I just don't see this game clicking. I don't understand why first of all the title, and second of all they really need to make some improvements to make this game better than other MMOs like WoW and Guild Wars.

The lack of hype is because they're making a wow copy while slapping an TES sticker on it. It's an insult to both the TES series, and to the fans loving the franchise.

This game will crash and burn, and concidering the amount of bugs TES games are usually shipped with, I'm expecting TESO to have the worst release in the history of MMOs.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Reizla

Could not care less about the FPS whack-a-mole combat. What bothers me (and I think most other TES fans) is that TESo will be a fixed faction game set in the TES world but basically be a WoW clone without the sandbox features that we love so much about TES :(

FPS 'whack-a-mole' combat is just about the only thing that won't get called a wow-clone these days.  And even then I wouldn't bet on it.  

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Netspook

Perhaps more hype and fansites will be out in the future. But for right now, I just don't see this game clicking. I don't understand why first of all the title, and second of all they really need to make some improvements to make this game better than other MMOs like WoW and Guild Wars.

The lack of hype is because they're making a wow copy while slapping an TES sticker on it. It's an insult to both the TES series, and to the fans loving the franchise.

Just like Oblivion was, when it came out...

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Netspook

This game will crash and burn, and concidering the amount of bugs TES games are usually shipped with, I'm expecting TESO to have the worst release in the history of MMOs.

It isn't even the same developers..... Not even the same company..... Do you even have a clue? At least get the facts before making an opinion.....