Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Forge: Face-Punchingly Good PVP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Many MMO players are looking for a -great- PvP experience. Forge is billing itself as a PvP-centric game. We've got a preview to share that just might get you excited about it. Check it out!

Dark Vale Games' new title looks poised to scratch that player-vs-player itch with an interesting proposition: offer players the pickup group and raid battleground experience, including some persistent features and RPG elements, but without the requisite PvE leveling that's a barrier of entry for some games' PvP content. I got to chat with Tim Alvis, Co-Founder, COO, and CTO of Dark Vale about Forge, and he's of the mind that players should be able to jump into the kind of action that their game is ready to offer, without having to "play 12 weeks" just to get in on the fun.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Forge: Face-Punchingly Good PVP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Hate to say it but it will probably fail like all the other "PvP-centric" games that PvP'ers never support..

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Vyeth

Hate to say it but it will probably fail like all the other "PvP-centric" games that PvP'ers never support..

Depends on the pvp experience. It's very hard to pull off. Look at all the failures. If they learned from this then great, if not it will be another Fury, WAR, etc.

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    this doesn't really fit my kinda style of game. tobad graphics and art looked really good.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    It's an pvp mmo like GunZ or it's an normal MMO with open and persistant world ?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

The reason is because PvP is a high rush and after a while you want to chill and play PvE. Even the best PvP game of all time, DAoC, had down time chilling PvE. It needs to be there for the chill play time and the social side of communities. This game will need a good PvE area if they want to make it.

• halleckhalleck Member Posts: 2
    Agree with the above post.  Any MMO needs to have both a compelling PVE and PVP experience to keep me interested.
  • DrakenZADrakenZA Member UncommonPosts: 7

UO pvp > DOAC pvp

Anyone who disagrees wasnt around when UO was at its prime.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I'm all for a PvP-centric game. But for me to buy it, it needs a lot of depth in the character progression department. From what I can tell, Forge isn't gonna have character progression at all. That doesn't appeal to me. Also instanced PvP is not my favorite, I'd rather have a DAOC style.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Hmm.. and since when has ever asked a PvP player for Battlegrounds? As much as i know that is the last a pvp player wants. At least from a mmo. So this have to contest it with BF series or FPS, and RTS multiplayer games alike. But on the other side Savage was fun.
  • RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

From KS

"We’re here on Kickstarter to finish what we started; to build a game free of the pressures of outside publishers, investors, or anyone that has a tendency to mess up a beautiful project. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk
    Lol at all the people who are pissed the game isn't targeting them. speshulsnowflake.jpg

Dont see anyone here pissed. Just talking about a new MMO. I sugest you dont flip out so fast as thats what MMORPG.com is all about.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I pledged them some cash on Kickstarter. I think the game looks like a crazy amount of fun, and I'm particularly interested in the short matches because my gaming time is very limited these days.

Honestly, I think it's perfect for anyone like me who has a really full schedule and doesn't want to spend countless (precious) hours leveling up in order to enjoy the best a game has to offer.

I'm all-in. Can't wait to play.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• HayasaHayasa Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Sure, like LoL. Pvp games all fail because nobody plays it. oh wait!
  • coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    The game looks like an insane amount of fun. Pledged 200$ and will be playing this instead for GW2 when it releases! :)
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by DrakenZA

UO pvp > DOAC pvp

Anyone who disagrees wasnt around when UO was at its prime.

I was and I disagree with you, simple as that.  Anyway, as far as the game goes, it looks nice, but the game play in the videa anyway, appear very run of the mill boring stuff we have seen tiome and again.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Actually this sounds a lot like original Guildwars in the basic concept with minor differences. IE in GW you have 4 v 4 if i remember correctly in arena matches. This game has 8 v 8  and 24 v 24.  In Guildwars you could jump to max level for the pvp aspects from day one - same here. You had classes with skills that did not require any "die rolling" in GW and looks like you have that same aspect here.

The way they do the actual skills could and probably will vary and they have expanded the arena size to include more players so - if they otherwise make a compelling game (IE fun combat) I could see this one being a success based off the original GW model. A GW2 in a much truer sense in that it is building on and improving the original GW concept where as Arena net created GW2 to be more MMO like and less Arena like similar to GW1

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I dont think you guys realise this is more of a MOBA than an MMO, there is no persistent world or anything. Its match based like DotA or League of Legends.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Originally posted by Chase187666
    I dont think you guys realise this is more of a MOBA than an MMO, there is no persistent world or anything. Its match based like DotA or League of Legends.

Too bad, seriously they need to make it open world if not they will fail.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Yes, i would certainly blame the consumer... image

I play MMOs for the pvp (mostly). I started in Neverwinter Nights, moved on to Ultima Online then to DAoC.  I enjoyed the pvp content in each and felt the next one moved the genre' somewhat forward. Since then, its been mostly stagnating (in my opinion).

I will try any game that has a PvP focus, especailly if its open, rvr, or has some purpose other than "gankin noobs".

If a game comes out a bit "lacking" I'll stick with it some, but my "support" of "your" product only goes so far. Its up to the developer to keep me interested in their game.

• gakulegakule Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I love seeing people claiming things will fail because of _______. I guess that's why they are subject matter experts and valuable to the gaming industry to point out key design requirements.

A game has to be fun and enjoyed by a group of people that generates enough revenue for the studio to stay afloat. There is no dollar amount requirement for gauging success.

That being said, Counter-Strike was very successful. Call of Duty is successful. Gears of War is successful. None of those games have any persistent world, yet they have been around for years. Why? Because they are fun.

Saying a game is going to fail because it doesn't have a persistent world is moronic. Maybe you should have a talk with League of Legends and let them know their game is a failure?
  • xtrabulletsxtrabullets Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Looks pretty dumb to me... whatever happened to the games that actually took skill!? (Like Quake 2 for example..)

Originally posted by xtrabullets
    Looks pretty dumb to me... whatever happened to the games that actually took skill!? (Like Quake 2 for example..)

So you apparently didn't watch the video at all.

There is no tab-targetting.

There is no gear grind.

There is no iWin button.

Skill determines if you win or lose. That's the *entire point* of the game.

-Glen Cook

• fahadjafarfahadjafar Member Posts: 44

this is a pvp game like DoTA, LoL, SMITE, WOH. there is no reason to have pve here. and no reason for dragon killers to comment on this thread either.

on the topic, it looks extreamely fun and amazing. but with so many pvp game to choose from, it will be really hard for them to publish this game on their own without a proper publisher. but good luck to them, if they can make it on their own, then it wil be a lesson to other game publishers that good games are always rewarded by players. 

• thegrapplerthegrappler Member Posts: 7
    These games come and go and develop no fanbase for one principle no joystick support but  keyboard and mouse guided.  Which I'm guessing this game is.  If your gonna pride yourself on pvp before pve and market strategy make the game as close to Street Fighter as possible.  Joystick games are easier to grind to also but people are so willing to make the next WoW clone to further saturate the market and kill the industry just like in the 80s.
    Originally posted by thegrappler
    These games come and go and develop no fanbase for one principle no joystick support but  keyboard and mouse guided.  Which I'm guessing this game is.  If your gonna pride yourself on pvp before pve and market strategy make the game as close to Street Fighter as possible.  Joystick games are easier to grind to also but people are so willing to make the next WoW clone to further saturate the market and kill the industry just like in the 80s.

Someone else who didn't read the article, I guess. The author states that he played the game with BOTH a keyboard/mous AND a console controller.

-Glen Cook