Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moderation on official forum

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Comae13

Is the worst moderation I have ever seen in 10 years of mmo, except for the Aion beta where they were koreans moderators who faked posts to ban people they didnt like. Yeah NCSOFT have the worst community management of all mmo editors.

There is only censorship. If you dont agree with something or didnt like something you are sanctioned. Comon we are adult or wtf ? I think we are in 2012 and there is enough of this.

Second thing, stop use that word, called "troll", really, you destroy the free speech on internet.

2 cents

Dare I say MMORPG.com's is jsut as strict?  I know I've recieved my fair share of warnings and temp bans.  image

They are,

got quite some warnings, and even two bans, for calling people trolls in public... Even tough they where trolling, you´re not allowed to call them trolls on this forum, that might be some wise advise for newer members.

Dont call them trolls, but report their posts, and the moderators will take care of it.

So basically its not the moderators actions, its the memebers that report these posts.

This can be abused tough, i remember peopel with a 1 post account trolling on these forums, and then reporting everyone that called them a troll.

yeah.... Same here xD warnings and temp bans for calling people trolls even tho they were trolling xD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Is the worst moderation I have ever seen in 10 years of mmo, except for the Aion beta where they were koreans moderators who faked posts to ban people they didnt like. Yeah NCSOFT have the worst community management of all mmo editors.

There is only censorship. If you dont agree with something or didnt like something you are sanctioned. Comon we are adult or wtf ? I think we are in 2012 and there is enough of this.

Second thing, stop use that word, called "troll", really, you destroy the free speech on internet.

2 cents

Dare I say MMORPG.com's is jsut as strict?  I know I've recieved my fair share of warnings and temp bans.  image

They are,

got quite some warnings, and even two bans, for calling people trolls in public... Even tough they where trolling, you´re not allowed to call them trolls on this forum, that might be some wise advise for newer members.

Dont call them trolls, but report their posts, and the moderators will take care of it.

So basically its not the moderators actions, its the memebers that report these posts.

This can be abused tough, i remember peopel with a 1 post account trolling on these forums, and then reporting everyone that called them a troll.

yeah.... Same here xD warnings and temp bans for calling people trolls even tho they were trolling xD

Already experienced this. And it was not funny at all :(

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Not that I like people silencing opinions.... but...

Internet forums are not a bastion of free speech.  If a company wants to remove a topic on their forums then they're entitled to.  Mods are people, sometimes they're grouchy.

I was given a 3 day ban on this site for saying don't upset GW2 fans, they'll crucify you.

i don't think they're grumpy, i think they hired some hard asses with no sense of humor. 

i'm all for moderation of forums. i've reported racist, homophobic crap before. in 5 years (?) on this site i have received *one* warning and that's it. that warning came awhile back for making a joke about being a troll.

guess what happened? screw this site. i quit coming by every day and now just stop by occasionally. if they can't moderate their own moderators and go after real troublemakers, i have no patience or time for them. i'm already surfing around looking for another mmo site to call home.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Well if you recall SWTOR's launch, the official forums were a gigantic mess where nobody would listen to anything but their own voice. It turned out to be a giant reciprocal bash fest, with absolutely no interest to read or post in it in the end.

This even led to noise makers trashing the game before even having played it, just to add up on the general frenzy. I recall some posters coming in these forums to gather some objective opinions, and being influenced by bashers on false claims (true story, some guy even wrote that he felt silly to have fallen to this).

Anyway, considering the popularity of GW2, and considering how a lot of internet posters don't even take the time to think about what they wrote, better have some strict rules on discussions.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I posted a lot of criticism and "negative" feedback on the GW2 official forums during the beta events and stress tests, and I never got moderated.

Considering how you wrote your complain here, I suspect that you got in trouble not because if what you said, but because of the way you said it.

Originally posted by cinos

It's the trolls ultimate weapon. Bait and report is the new crack for them. :p

That's where YOU must be smarter than them. Baiting is also forbidden by this forum's rules. The moderators aren't stupid, and they also play games, they know baiting when they see it, just report the guy and do NOT call him "troll" or you'll end in the same cage than him ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I know I am going to get a warning but IMHO the OP is a TROLL!!!!!

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Well I am happy that they are moderating heavily. Official forums are almost always a terrible place and if heavy moderation is required to make it not so terrible then I'm all for it.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

2 cents

They never had official forums in the past because they were a smaller company that didn't have the resources to staff enough people to keep proper tabs on it.  Usually the people that complain about "bad" moderation are just mad because they aren't allowed to troll, topic hijack, flame devs, flame mods or flame other players.  When they announced that they were going ot have official forums, they flat out said that they have a ZERO tolerance policy.  If someone wants to stir up trouble, there are plenty of other places to do it.  They've clearly stated that the official forum will be very closely moderated, which is ok by me.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49
    The right to free speech does not apply on individual websites or forums. The moderators are not infringing on anyones right to an opinion. Often it's not what is said but how that causes a post to be locked or taken down. Everyone has a right to an opinion yes, but websites also have a right to choose what content is on their site. I have seen many posts from intelligent individuals giving good feedback that arena net has taken into consideration. All the posts i've seen that ended up locked or gone looked like they were written by angry five year olds taught english by a trailer park prostitute. You have a right to speak, we have a right to ignore you if you are an idiot.
  • Originally posted by Nitth

I can understand wanting to represent the game in a good light on the official forums,Its good for advertisement.

Third party sites like these are the best way to have a 'balanced' discussion of things.

But then because negative criticism is supported, that doesnt go well with the people expecting rainbows and unicorns.

I disagree with the "like these" comment.  I do agree that third party sites are probably the best for a balanced discussion, but only the ones dedicated to that particular game and no other game.  When you have sites like this one that attract people from many different games you wind up with people wandering into forum discussions for games they have no interest in and have an agenda or just want to be instigators.  If you look at third party sites devoted only to GW2 there are plenty of posts that aren't "rainbows and unicorns" but they are typically civil because the people posting them have a legitimate interest in GW2.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Sixpax

I disagree with the "like these" comment.  I do agree that third party sites are probably the best for a balanced discussion, but only the ones dedicated to that particular game and no other game.  When you have sites like this one that attract people from many different games you wind up with people wandering into forum discussions for games they have no interest in and have an agenda or just want to be instigators.  If you look at third party sites devoted only to GW2 there are plenty of posts that aren't "rainbows and unicorns" but they are typically civil because the people posting them have a legitimate interest in GW2.

The moderators here are pretty good compared to many other multi-game sites though. The "instigators" or trolls with an agenda usually get spotted and nuked quite efficiently. I've been posting on many multi-game websites in the last 20 years, and this one is definitely better than most moderation wise. The only thing they could use is a couple more European/Asian time moderators.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    I know I am going to get a warning but IMHO the OP is a TROLL!!!!!

I would actually like to know whether you get a warning or a temp ban for saying this. Just curious.

• GeschaeferGeschaefer Member Posts: 117

I got suspended for 3 months a few years back for saying that SWG post CU was garbage..

This is when they were heavy advertising on this site. -- No warning -- banned for 3 months.

G.E.Schaefer
    Played: EQ1. EQ2. FFXI. SWG. Aion. WAR. LOTRO. TabulaRasa. Hellgate London. Diablo 1. Diablo II. Diablo 3. STO. WOW. Vanguard. Guild Wars. Rift. Terra. The Secret World. EVE. Guild Wars 2. Firefall. Neverwinter.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Rofl ok all I said is wrong because I critic gw2. Like always.

So.... ok as you want !

You're obviously not telling the full story here. The moderation on the official forums is fine. As loads of others have said, there was plenty of negative discussion/criticism that wasn't deleted. If your post was deleted then chances are high it was because of the way you wrote it.

People like you disgust me. Coming up with some half-assed story to put a negative light on something, and then when people prove you wrong, you're like "LOL U SEE U CANT ARGUE WITH GW2 FANBOYS"

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

troll tried to troll official forums and was stopped. cool story bro.

if you make a thread called "OMFG THIS GAME SUCKS, WASTED MY MONEY" of course you will get that shit deleted.

Instead, if you make a thread called "Serious problems with the game" then give a list of reasons and what you feel can be done to correct them, then not only will you not get your shit deleted, but the mods might even talk to you about the problem. On the official forums, forward thinking individuals get rewarded and a$$holes get put in their place, simple as that.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan 

It's the trolls ultimate weapon. Bait and report is the new crack for them. :p

That's where YOU must be smarter than them. Baiting is also forbidden by this forum's rules. The moderators aren't stupid, and they also play games, they know baiting when they see it, just report the guy and do NOT call him "troll" or you'll end in the same cage than him ;-)

Well obviously. :P

On the same note I have seen people on these forums calling someone a "troll" just as a way of trying to somehow discredit the person, or just as an insult, so people that got banned or warned for calling someone a troll arent telling the full story.

Best policy is, as Korrigan says, if you think someone is trolling use the report button and report them for trolling, calling someone a "troll" whether they are or not does not contribute anything to the discussion ( even if its a pretty bad one ) and only promotes more flaming/trolling.

If the OP is talking about the stress test forums then I agree with people here, they were put up with a specific reason and I see them as having a legitimate reason to delete anything at their discretion that they feel does not contribute towards the goal they were created. Also bear in mind that sadly Forums are not a place for you to exercise your free speech, they are heavily controlled and regulated by however owns them, if you dont agree with the rules you have to accept before posting then you shouldn't post and if you feel the company has a bad attitude or you can't get your suggestions/criticism accross then just dont support the product.

This ofc doesnt mean you can't vent your frustration at badly moderated forums and rules.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Don't know what the OP is on about. Anyone that has been to the official GW2 forums has seen plenty of posts with criticism about certain parts of the game. If your post got deleted by a mod you probably violated their rules.
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

What do we expect? I mean companies are writing in EULA's stating you can't sue them anymore.

To a company that talk is marketing and it's their forum to own. So why not be protective and wash away anything you don't want someone else to hear? Face it, it's fear and it's marketing. I like you don't care for it, but why should it come as any surprise, they got the best game ever and no one can say otherwise!

• Originally posted by Zylaxx

2 cents

I've gotten temp banned for things I thought were obvious jokes.

• Originally posted by Xzen
    Don't know what the OP is on about. Anyone that has been to the official GW2 forums has seen plenty of posts with criticism about certain parts of the game. If your post got deleted by a mod you probably violated their rules.

They definitely encourage and ask for constructive criticism.  But they wipe those forums each time and aren't keeping these things for posterity yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just delete whiny ass drivel.  No reason not to.

The current forum aren't for people to vent they are for useful feedback.  I suspect they will change that later on, but right now yeah if you are bitching about something and barely making any sense you might get deleted.  So what?  Maybe you should write something coherent and well reasoned instead.  *Gasp* I know its crazy talk.  Things are just so boring without so much hyperbole all the cogent thoughts are drowned out in a sea of drama and confused with ad hoc rambling.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

2 cents

I heard the same about all releasing games forums the last 5 years, more or less word for word. :)

All official forums suck, that is why we hang out here, right?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by gestalt11

I've gotten temp banned for things I thought were obvious jokes.

Several times.  It's a hazard of one-liners; the tone's often completely lost.

Still; I'll take it over WoW Cesspit any day of the week.  Better to err on the side of caution.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.