Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Bill's Least Favorite Classes to Level

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
     The cloumn title could have been chosen better If that is the case. "Worst classes to level" has a different feel than" Most annoying/boring to level." Regardless... its WoW, none of them are hard to level .... annoying, I found Warrior to be annoying ... the rest seemed fun.
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I think before you bash Bill, you do take into consideration as some of you are saying, the game is 8 years old. Did you play it 6,7,8 years ago? Or even before cata when they mixed up what level you get x spell? He does say in the second sentence of this article the word "are" instead of "were" he changes that one word and this is a legit article.

He said there are still some classes today that outshine others and yada yada, talking in generalities, that not all classes are equal in terms of fun and ease of leveling even now.

When he got to Warrior, and told us all that he has no idea what they're like and he's going by pre-TBC Warrior for writing this article, I just really couldn't believe it. 

As for Paladin, he continues saying it's just a boring experience, as if he's once again remember vanilla Paladin with mainly just auto-attacking with heals, bubbles and seals, or whatever. 

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Do we really have to preface every COLUMN article with the notion that columns are editorially based and therefore opinion? To me, and still, this list is my most boring/annoying classes to level. You can have your own too, but neither of us will be "right".

If you don't realize where you went wrong with this article, then I just don't know what to think of you. Honestly, it's not about how it's your opinion - it's the outdated info and you not having enough knowledge about the game's classes to warrant writing an article about the game's classes. 

But, I've said my piece, and I'm done here.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Mr. Murphy, you are a few years late me thinks and this article is totally out of place in relation to WoW's leveling process today. No class requires micromanagement and most certain no class is difficult to level up nowadays. Just some are more faceroll than others, especially when you use a full heirloom set like almost all do. I leveled a such geared night elf roguess a few weeks back and i don't remember my hp ever dropping bellow 50%, not once. I bought her the heirlooms, picked a leveling spec of the web and voila.. 85 in no time.

Some classes where indeed hard / harder to level a while back when the world content was way more challenging. I remember dying a lot with my warrior due to miss pulls, respawns, bad use of cd's etc.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I actually had a blast leveling my paladin for the most part.

Classic: Prot/holy. Tanked and healed low level isntances (With SoF back when it was a thing) when people said pali's couldn't tank or heal. Solo'd pretty much every group quest. Made grinding mobs for quests interesting by AoE pulling them. Outfarming mages in Sorrow Hill was fun : )

BC: Janky prot/ret build with reckoning that was actually super OP for leveling. Tanked all the instances leveling up as well (had a leveling group). Not super interactive again, but the build also let me solo a lot of the group quests so it was fun.

LK: Ret wasn't horrible, leveling was actually pretty fun. Prot was fun for dungeons.

Cata: Yeah...ret was painful to play and prot was better, but did squat for damage. Was the only time I felt leveling was actually painful.

I actually didn't mind the lack of interactivity for the most part. Gave me plenty of time to grind my loins while grinding (huehuehue).

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Poorly written article.. All classes are now easy to level.

I find it amazing blizz keep refining the experience to get everyone involve and as such maybe piss some persons off..

seeing as ask classes are easy to level, a better writeup would be, which classes is more fun personally to level..
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    What year was this article written?  Dungeon finders and quests make it easy to level with any class.  Just don't be stupid and pick a  bad spec if you aren't using the dungeon finder.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I did mostly questing on my first toon, it was a holy pally oh my gosh that was painful.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Do we really have to preface every COLUMN article with the notion that columns are editorially based and therefore opinion? To me, and still, this list is my most boring/annoying classes to level. You can have your own too, but neither of us will be "right".

I do understand that a column is just an opinion, and I think you told clearly enough when you didn't have information about changes made to WoW.

What I don't understand is, why did you write about something you don't know about? I think someone writing an official article should know about the subject they are writing on, even if it's just a column. You yourself admitted that you didn't really know about warrior changes since 2007 (TBC release). Is "I don't really know about changes made since 2007" really acceptable level of knowledge when writing official column about largest MMO in market to a website that specializes in MMOs?

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Priest was the most boring/unentertaining class i've ever leveled and I have all classes at 80+
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Boltonsquad
    Priest was the most boring/unentertaining class i've ever leveled and I have all classes at 80+

for me it was rogue - ive also leveled all classes to 80

• zakinzakin Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Holy pally before duel spec. Did it during bc when it first launched
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I didn't know wow actually made you level anymore, i thought you just gave blizzard money and poof, ohh wait its exactlly like that.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It depends on how you play, but I thought warlock was one of the fastest, All you have to do is get your felguard to run into a bunch of mobs, and you run up with hellfire *once you get it*.  Kill 10-15 mobs, go turn in quest and recharge while you do it :)  I think out of all of them paladin takes the longest, but isn't really the hardest.  With dungeon finder, paladin and warrior are really fast to level since tanks are almost always instant join.  Paladin can also be healer when there's a lack of healers in dungeon finder :)
  • Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Honestly am I the nly person who played a pally from vinnilla wow to cata, and actually felt they kinda destroyed that interesting, and very interactive feel they had going with them back in bc. I loved the fact you had to actually almost use seal-twisting, and actually micromanage the seals much more back then which added another layer to the combat for me. I mean back then you had i think 6 or 7 seals which lasted i think it was 30 seconds to a min at the longest (it might have been 15 to 30 seconds not sure here just no it was a rather short duration0, and not only did the seals have varied effects while active they also had secondary effects when judgemented as well, and so you kinda could change seals to manage alot more then we can now. Even the micromanagement of the blessings kinda was interesting, as you had the long duration (15 min) buffs like salvation (threat reduction, wisdom (mana regen), might (strength), Kings (flat stat boost.), sancuary (damage reflection, and damage reduction.); an then you had the shorter duration blessings like sacrifice (damage redirectin to the caster from the buffed layer), protection (physical damage reduction,a nd deactivate physical damage dealt.), freedom (cc-removal.) which after lacing up an runing out on a target you had to reapply the longer term buff prior that was on as they overote each other. Even divine intervention had alot of uses that i found for well both saving groups from wies, bugging encounters, robbing/stalling gankers of kills, and saving repairs (using DI never took away durability on armor as such you could DI last second before death to avoid paying for repais as offen or much.).
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I am soooo tired of WoW, even if I have that year long subsrciption lying there stealing money from my bank account.... And I am all too busy with my family and Secret World. Then you come and make one of these... and suddenly the evil imp of bad ideas sit on my shoulder "Hey! Mister! Why don't you... level of of THOSE guys! Do it, I know you want to!"

I hate it.... I just know I will find myself sitting in the WoW character creator any day now, not knowing how I got there. Typical... :)

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• CcDohlCcDohl Member Posts: 65
    Warrior leveling is like this: Get to level 15, get instant q's as a tank, continue until level 85.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I hated leveling locks, shamans, and druids.  I dunno why I just did.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Old school pre BC Holy spec Pally................YAWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  1-70 as the main healbot for my freinds, soloing was a beatch. Happy Friday everybody BTW. :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Since cataclysm, warrior and paladin have been quite easy to level.  I leveled up both of mine to 85 quickly, rogue I basically have no interest anymore, same with the deathknight.  I found both of those to be boring.  The warlock is also somewhat difficult to level and of course priest if you don't go shadowform.
  • Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

Article  not about Hard to lvl or easy  William said at the beggining WoW is most casual game.

All classes are easy to lvl up 2 weeks and here you go you at max lvl  and can finally start farming for somethg.

Its About how booring some classes to lvl :)

For sure Warrior tank and holy priest was most booring before :)

Have no idea whats going on now but  just noticed lots of ppl focusing on Easy or hard. Not booring and less booring :)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Cant really comment on the article because I havent played WOW in years, and only then for a month and a half... but....

MY GOD, doesnt WOW look old and dated

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

The worst when I played based only in my own opinion is

5 Mage- why because im more up close and personal in my playstyle.

4 Hunter- Once people would get close before the skill that let you jump back it was the class that got owned by everyone, not enought long range dps to take out mage/lock not enough close range for even a rogue. Now It's not as agrivating but the constant change in pet system still makes it one of the worst.

3 Priest- constant healer spams directed at you to stand like a tree and just heal starting at lvl 12 to max just makes lvls painful to me.

2 Shaman- at about 78 i found it very hard to lvl solo and after wasting days to get it to this lvl i have never maxed it out because of this.

1 Warlock-Squishy the imp suxors.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I call BULLSHIT on this entire article, at least for ME.  I have 20 character over several servers, but my 3 favorite are on Tanaris, and they are my 81 pally, 80 lock, and 85 priest.  I didn't find any of them unbearable to level in ANY way.  I enjoyed them all immensely.  Granted, I did have the opportunity to run a lot of dungeons, but still.....the WORST to level?  No way.

I vehemently disagree with this article.  I do, however, thank the author for sharing his opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Deleted User

If you don't realize where you went wrong with this article, then I just don't know what to think of you. Honestly, it's not about how it's your opinion - it's the outdated info and you not having enough knowledge about the game's classes to warrant writing an article about the game's classes. 

But, I've said my piece, and I'm done here.

I have to agree with the deleted user here. Next time, write about games you do currently play, and let others handle those you don't.

From the column, about warlock:

The only thing that makes him difficult is the fact that he actually requires some measure of thinking to play in a solo manner

Really? Warlock was the first class i maxed out back in vanilla, on horde side. During TBC I leveled another, alliance side. After Cata, I leveled another one. So I'd say I know this class VERY well.

Warlock NEVER required "some measure of thinking to play in a solo manner". Imo, together with hunter, it's the easiest class to level. It's ok to not like it, but that's not what you said here.