Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RMAH seems semi effective at battling illegal gold selling.

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

About two weeks ago I saw gold spammers advertising for 1m for around $1.5

Today I'm seeing them advertise the same amount for under a dollar.

Seems like a pretty rapid decline.

Not sure how low they'll go before deciding it's not worth it, but seeing as how they get most of their gold for free from stealing it who knows.

Comments

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    So, they should implement botting in game to eliminate illegal botters?

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by stayBlind
    So, they should implement botting in game to eliminate illegal botters?

lol this I agree 100%,  problem is that AH killed fun of game called diablo, diablo have become game of AH.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Those are two completely different things there buddy. I imagine bans are the most effective at fighting botting.

It's about picking the right tool for the job.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Those are two completely different things there buddy. I imagine bans are the most effective at fighting botting.

It's about picking the right tool for the job.

Many Asian games have implemented it actually; it seems to work a whole lot better than having to ban.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by jusomdude

About two weeks ago I saw gold spammers advertising for 1m for around $1.5

Today I'm seeing them advertise the same amount for under a dollar.

Seems like a pretty rapid decline.

Not sure how low they'll go before deciding it's not worth it, but seeing as how they get most of their gold for free from stealing it who knows.

Are you sure it isnt because of them having no customers due to less and less people playing? :)

Flame on!

:)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Banaghran
    Originally posted by jusomdude About two weeks ago I saw gold spammers advertising for 1m for around $1.5 Today I'm seeing them advertise the same amount for under a dollar. Seems like a pretty rapid decline.   Not sure how low they'll go before deciding it's not worth it, but seeing as how they get most of their gold for free from stealing it who knows.
    Are you sure it isnt because of them having no customers due to less and less people playing? :)

Flame on!

I think there are more than enough people playing to support selling gold, if people were willing to buy gold outside of the AH. I have no real idea how to gauge the prices, but anything for less than a dollar seems pretty cheap to me. Unless it costs 700,000,000 gold to buy something decent.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I think there are more than enough people playing to support selling gold, if people were willing to buy gold outside of the AH. I have no real idea how to gauge the prices, but anything for less than a dollar seems pretty cheap to me. Unless it costs 700,000,000 gold to buy something decent.

I was posting it just to point out, cause i am a pessimist, that his reason is as good as a explanation as mine, so we cannot be really sure.

Last time i heard, the street price was around 1$ a mil, with the fixed price on the rmah being 2.5$, we still have to consider that the price is inflated by optimist people trying to buy from botters and sell on rmah.

Again, just saying.

Flame on!

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    The RMAH and always online features are what kept me from buying it so there's clearly a downside too.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by dead2soon
    The RMAH and always online features are what kept me from buying it so there's clearly a downside too.

I just don't get why those two features are an issue. The RMAH is completely optional (as is the gold AH) and the always online thing is a non-issue, unless you have really bad internet, so playing any on-line game is probably a no-go for you. 

At the very mininum, it's a fun game for a playthrough or two, which would already be enough to get your money's worth. I think buying on the AH ruins people's enjoyment...so avoid it if you can resist it. At least until you get stuck on Inferno difficulty. 

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

OP, why is the RMAH semi-effective? I got the idea that it was fully ineffective.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Banaghran
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I was posting it just to point out, cause i am a pessimist, that his reason is as good as a explanation as mine, so we cannot be really sure.

Last time i heard, the street price was around 1$ a mil, with the fixed price on the rmah being 2.5$, we still have to consider that the price is inflated by optimist people trying to buy from botters and sell on rmah.

Again, just saying.

Flame on!

For the first time I will agree with you. Now that the game has been out, and a lot of people have played as much as they had intended to, there probably are less people playing (i.e. potential gold buying customers). So the demand is less. Plus supply has increased the longer the game exists. The gold doesn't really have anywhere to go, other to other players. So there is more supply and less demand so the price for gold is dropping.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, prohibition never really works out, it just make people with little morale rich.

Alcohol prohibition made people like Capone rich and today are almost all scumbags in the world living on the war on drugs, if those were legal 90% of all orginized crime would lose their income.

However there is a better solution to the problem than legalizing gold selling and that is to not make gold and items so much focus of the game. You didn´t really need gold in the original Diablo and therefor people didn't sell it. In D2 a small market started to sell some gold and items but it was far from common and most players never bought anything.

But D3 is all about gold and gear. Change that to let the game be more about playing well and killing stuff instead and the goldsellers will crawl back under the rock they came from.

And yeah, I realize that the reason Blizz did what they did (or Activision more likely) was not to stop gold selling but to get their piece of it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I fully agree D3 needs to remove the price floor. If so, the price on the RMAH will be adjusted efficiently, and further increase competition, and squeeze out more of the gold farmers.