Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

TERA: En Masse & NCSoft Settle Dispute

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,619MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

En Masse Entertainment has released a statement indicating that the dispute over TERA in the United States. En Masse has steadfastly denied any wrong doing and continues to maintain its innocence in the following release.

En Masse Entertainment confirms it has settled with NCsoft over the TERA-related lawsuit in the US. In doing so, En Masse Entertainment maintains its innocence and looks forward to refocusing the company’s full attention to TERA, its fans, and its future.

“We are happy to have this distraction behind us,” said Yong Taek Bae, Corporate Development Director for En Masse. “We appreciate the support from all those who have believed in us. Our priority has been and always will be our fans and community. TERA will continue to thrive and provide a great player experience and value to existing and new gamers alike.”

The original filing documents can be seen here.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member

If they settled does that not mean that NCSofts case had merit?

I guess they could have just figured it would be cheaper to settle than to challenge it, but if they didn't fear losing they wouldn't be worrying about getting back the legal costs from the losing party anyway.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,668Member Uncommon
    These lawsuits can't possibly be helping the bottom line of these companies.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReizlaReizla AlkmaarPosts: 3,300Member Uncommon
    Court documents (dated January 2012) don't say how or what about the settlement, but were an interesting read. It does show more of what Lineage III would have been and what NC did implement of it in Lineage II's GoD expansion.

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    ASUS GTX970 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Mississauga, ONPosts: 912Member
    He said TERA will continue to thrive...after all the layoffs. I wish the game well. Boring PvE and no real PvP but great action combat and pretty graphics.

• arctarusarctarus nilPosts: 2,570Member Uncommon

Maybe after NCsoft seeing that Tera is actually no real threat .

Now waiting for B&S

RIP Orc Choppa

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    He said TERA will continue to thrive...after all the layoffs. I wish the game well. Boring PvE and no real PvP but great action combat and pretty graphics.

Open world PVP and guild vs guild are most assuredly "real" pvp, if you prefer INSTANCED PVP, that is being added before the end of the month too, but on this site you'll find most people think instanced PVP isn't real PVP...

• NewmoonNewmoon NeverNeverLand, KYPosts: 127Member Common

NCSoft has seen how TERA has done, and figured they'd get a cash settlement now, before they [Bluehole] go bankrupt. They also know the world knows the truth, that TERA was ripped from them, no matter how Bluehole proclaims their innocence. Their senior devs WILL end up serving time, once the appeals process finishes.

Go NCSoft!!!

• IkifalesIkifales tucson, AZPosts: 265Member Uncommon

Just read the filing for the first time, wow that is really disapointing. They really pulled a number on Nc Soft, I really regret spending money on Tera.

• lustbustlustbust hamilton, TXPosts: 38Member
    I originally read that Ncsoft was going to scrap the code for lineage 3 so employees stole it to continue development and it was Tera..After reading this i wont play Tera anymore.I have a personal beef with Ncsoft but Tera is actually the reason there is no Lineage 3 right now....And not the other way around.I hope they still make Lineage 3.
  • CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,630Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by arctarus

Maybe after NCsoft seeing that Tera is actually no real threat .

Now waiting for B&S

Tera tanks in east and west markets, Ncsoft settle court battle SHOCKER!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AsamofAsamof La Canada, CAPosts: 738Member Uncommon
    this is what happens when you literally steal a companies game code, run away with it, then try to publically make profit with it a few years later. can they really feign innocence on this one?

• OmnifishOmnifish LondonPosts: 616Member
    Well they've been stealing people's cc details to continue cancelled subs, so this is no surprise really.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• sonnetsonnet WarlinghamPosts: 5Member

glad to see theyve settled which means they admitted it XD

i thought TERA looked cool untill i found out how its stolen off NCsoft's Lineage

so ive refused to play it now and am just waiting GW2

• ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member
    This is really disgusting and I can't believe the first time I hear about TERA being stolen from NCsoft.  This should be a very big deal and no one should be supporting Bluehole or EME.
  • thamighty213thamighty213 NewcastlePosts: 1,630Member
    Originally posted by lustbust
    I originally read that Ncsoft was going to scrap the code for lineage 3 so employees stole it to continue development and it was Tera..After reading this i wont play Tera anymore.I have a personal beef with Ncsoft but Tera is actually the reason there is no Lineage 3 right now....And not the other way around.I hope they still make Lineage 3.

Well there is Archeage which is Jake Song and Jake Song was L1 and L2 so IMO Archeage is L3

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    These lawsuits can't possibly be helping the bottom line of these companies.

The cost always gets filtered to the customer .

• DevianeDeviane MTYPosts: 106Member

its just me  or  it really feels like  ncsoft could  made a better Tera/Lineage3 than bluehole?...lineage2 never was allot about quests so if no surprise  Tera have a boring quest  system more linear than even some f2p games....combat i would say would be the same maybe  races and  art style would change a lil but overall pbly the same still taking  that in consideration i cant stop thinking that lineage  3 could have been better;  even if some say Aion its  Lineage3 and now  we all know Tera its what Lineage 3 could have been  i feel ncsoft could have done it  better...i guess we will never see or know  as  far as i know no Lineage3  its planed  and its a shame,  Lineage2 was like 3rd mmo i played  and  the mmo where i spend the most time

i read news on mmosite about the lawsuit  a while ago but being ncsoft always too greedy i was thinking maybe  they  just  want a  cut of  the profit of a good mmo  but  when i read the documents  i was amazed at how  copy-paste  Tera its from what could have  been Lineage3

ohn well still  i would move to  GW2 pbly :P

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,919Member Uncommon
    Glad it resolved.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • sargey123sargey123 HolonPosts: 102Member Uncommon
    No wonder was no good.. I was alwas aiting for L3.. and now to know the unrealese of it all what cuz of they stole the idea and named it TERA,,no wonder the game felt like L3 to me without any idea I just togh its L3 just thought isnt that NCsot work ? was shocked to see Dark Elf,Elf Design in Tera.. it even reminds me Blade and Soul which is also NC soft title.. just shamful L3 isnt released and itstead I had to play some bad trial of a bad company game. -__- NCsot ftw.
  • lustbustlustbust hamilton, TXPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by thamighty213
    Originally posted by lustbust

Well there is Archeage which is Jake Song and Jake Song was L1 and L2 so IMO Archeage is L3

I am really looking forward to that game...the only thing i dont like about it though is none of the gear i have seen looks that great.I am hoping the gameplay i have seen is lower/medium levels and characters really can look much more powerful and styling.

I am really glad that Blade & Soul has pretty much been the final blow to Tera in korea.Ncsoft west can be shady and they milk subs from bots without caring about fan base leaving over it but NCsoft in Korea does make some great games with some of the best mechanics and ideas.People said Tera had great combat but if you look at Blade & Soul its like poetry.

• stragen001stragen001 ReadingPosts: 1,720Member
    Originally posted by dumpcat

Just read the filing for the first time, wow that is really disapointing. They really pulled a number on Nc Soft, I really regret spending money on Tera.

Yeah me too.

Wow. Just Wow. How on earth did they get away with releasing TERA in the East in the first place, let alone in the West. This was not just plagiarism, it was basically a copy-paste of Lineage 3 code.

Basically a load of staff that were working on Lineage3 got pissed off when NCSoft scrapped it, so they stole all of the project resources and went and bult TERA. They have even been convicted of this in numerous courts. Why was TERA even allowed to be released?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NovusodNovusod Lakewood, NJPosts: 892Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by dumpcat

Yeah me too.

Wow. Just Wow. How on earth did they get away with releasing TERA in the East in the first place, let alone in the West. This was not just plagiarism, it was basically a copy-paste of Lineage 3 code.

Basically a load of staff that were working on Lineage3 got pissed off when NCSoft scrapped it, so they stole all of the project resources and went and bult TERA. They have even been convicted of this in numerous courts. Why was TERA even allowed to be released?

That is a good question. I think it mostly has to do with NCSoft being slow to press charges. It has been 3 or 4 years since the code was stolen and now BlueHole has had time develope a tonn of stuff on top of what they stole. If NCSoft was able to get a cease and desist order arround the time the code was first stolen TERA never would have made it to release.