Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: A Nightmare in The Secret World!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We aren't the first ones to think that there are parts of The Secret World that are just downright scary. In today's Very Scary, we explore that notion... but not in the way you might think. See what scares a man named Scary, and then talk about it in the comments!

The Secret World is the only MMO that gives me the creeps when I’m playing it at night. The sights and the sounds put me on edge when I’m playing in a dark room. One minute you are doing normal MMO things like picking up quests in town or crafting a double-barreled pump, pump zombie shakers, and the next minute you’re standing in a dark forest straining to see what is around the next tree. It makes you grip your mouse tight and sit on the edge of your computer chair in fear. All that stuff is pretty scary, but I discovered a nightmare in TSW that scares the crap out of me.

Read more of Scary Booster's Very Scary: A Nightmare in The Secret World!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    First 1st, yes!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I beg to differ....

Form an orderly queue!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    One toilet bowl for an entire county? Dang...

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• LongoraxLongorax Member Posts: 2

It's not only that, there are radio stations, gas stations, all kinds of stations in supposedly ultra-realistic battlefields of Battlefields 3. But have you seen any kind of toilet yet?

Mutants are allowed. War is okay. Sex & Violence: Yes, please! But pooping or nudity DON'T exist.

This article inspired me to go to the rest room right after I finished this comment.

• MerecraftMerecraft Member Posts: 1

There are two toilets in Kingsmouth (the one that gives the floater quest and the one in the grill). I'm sure there are more hidden inside all the houses and caravans - where do you expect them to be?

There are loads of little shacks in the amusement park - maybe one of those has a toilet inside.

There is also a toilet in Blue Mountains; a shack right near the start of the zone.

That's three more than I've seen in any other MMO...

Observational humour is only funny if it's based on truth...

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Funcom's AO did have toilets, atleast I think most bars hand one and random missions too.
  • barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I'm sure it will be the focus of the 1st expansion!
  • Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47
    The one at susie's diner used to contain a lore node for the filth, seemd most appropriate, but left me having to go wash my hands IRL, strange how our minds work.

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    The star ship Enterprise didn't have a toilet.  Why should TSW??!!  I can't remember where it was exactly, but in AOC, there were piles of doo doo everywhere.
  • vtannahillvtannahill Member Posts: 3

Slow newsday, or bad hiring decision?

Horrible, awful, terribad article. Flame me all you want for not having a sense of humor about such things but, this is just fucking dumb.

• siriusluxsiriuslux Member UncommonPosts: 8
    First post is about a porta potty,aint I classy lol.
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Nice little piece Scary, I learned to indentify and properly use a few more shades of brown all thanks to you (Cleveland steamer??). Keep up the good work this place needs you.Badly.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20
    Not as scary as the pants mail system...  Ahem... :/
  • FeuDesAstresFeuDesAstres Member Posts: 12

There are several port-a-johns located around the maps ... you just haven't been sufficiently needy or observant. :D

Oh, and there's the Black House restroom ... but I really don't recommend it.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by vtannahill

Slow newsday, or bad hiring decision?

Horrible, awful, terribad article. Flame me all you want for not having a sense of humor about such things but, this is just fucking dumb.

Well... I don't think you have no sense of humor, I just think it's shitty. You feast your big brown eyes on an article of this magnitude, and you don't immediately bust your gut laughing? Sounds to me like you've just got a crappy attitude.

I'll admit, the author does go on a bit too long about the topic, a bit of diarreah of the keyboard I suppose, but that' neither here nor there.

Poop.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

There are toilets, port-a-pottys and restrooms everywhere... I think the author needs to look harder.

I understand the author is only in BM but there are at least half a dozen or more just between Kingsmouth, SC and BM.  No you can't see every single one in every zone because houses are closed and locked.. but the ones you can go into generally have a bathroom (sometimes closed/locked).  The mansion in BM has a nasty bathroom.  The Wabanaki reserveration has restrooms.  Port-a-pottys all over the construction site...

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I *very rarely* complain about stuff like this, but I could have done without all the turd-humor.  In fact, this whole article is useless.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I was expecting something else when I read this... Not to be digusted and grossed out. I believe somethings just shouldn't be written about... What people do in the bathroom is one of those things.

Smile

• vtannahillvtannahill Member Posts: 3
    Author uses a hand holding a toilet plunger as an avatar. Can we expect more shitty articles in the future?
  • BadLuckBrettBadLuckBrett Member Posts: 22

Wow, Tesco Vee plays MMOs. I'd have never guessed.

(I'd venture to guess the over/under on people who get my bad joke will be 5)

• valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Crazy review :o about toilers in TSW LOL!!

Who the hell published this garbage on the front page?  The author's account looks all but abandoned, and he hasn't even posted to the site since July 3rd??   0 (ZERO) posts in the discussion forums?  Is that right?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ScaryboosterScarybooster Member UncommonPosts: 24
    That is correct MindTrigger. I'm working on updating my bio. I'm a new writer to MMORPG.com and I write comedy gaming pieces. I'm sorry you think humor is garbage. I try really hard to write fun stuff to make people laugh to lighten the mood of a very serious hobby. I take pride in what I write for this site.
    Signed by me
    Originally posted by scarybooster
    That is correct MindTrigger. I'm working on updating my bio. I'm a new writer to MMORPG.com and I write comedy gaming pieces. I'm sorry you think humor is garbage. I try really hard to write fun stuff to make people laugh to lighten the mood of a very serious hobby. I take pride in what I write for this site.

I think potty humor, as in attempting to wax poetic about *feces* for multiple paragraphs or an entire article, is garbage.  I've never read a single article on this site that was anything like that before, and frankly I don't care to. The average age here might be a little too high for what amounts to YouTube comment humor. ;)

If you are going to write for this site, you should start getting used to some criticism now.  Some people will like your stuff, and some won't. I wish you good luck in your endeavor. 

At least now you have your first forum comment since joining in 2008! If it's any consolation, I can't stant to listen to Ripper X talk either, though I'm sure he's a great guy in person.

• ScaryboosterScarybooster Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I understand people don't like everything they read and everybody is different. All my stuff is not potty humor I promise. I'm getting my sea legs right now trying to figure out a good niche. I'm great full you explain your dislike in a very good manner. I appreciate it very much. I can take bad critism as long as its good bad critism. Yours is the good kind thank you.
    Signed by me