Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you think you'll be playing GW2?

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Is all about how fast we will get content updates, and since is a B2P game it wont be fast so lot of people will get bored after a month or so

- Post-Launch content can be added very easily in the form of events.

• - Guild Wars 2 has an extremely large live team to support this game (in form of support and new content). The game is a service and ArenaNet aims to provide the best service possible.
    • - If a new low level dungeon is added, everybody can go and do it, no matter his level, and still get rewards he can use.

http://www.guildwars2journal.com/_/news/guild-wars-2-live-chat-with-eric-flannum-and-colin-johanson-r189

Either you believe them or you don't, but at least be familiar with what the developers are saying.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by dellirious13
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Demogorgon
    (mod edit)

It's, "why ARE there so many idiots on this planet?"

I don't see why he is reading the Guild Wars 2 forum section since he 1) seems to get annoyed by the people that seem to like the game and 2) seems to not even like the game at all in the first place.

Psychologically he is demoralizing himself by surrounding himself with things that are tearing him down. It's like if a cat who hates water would constantly hop out on stones to the middle of a river....

Bad analogy really.  Posting on a forum, even if it's a forum that you don't like, is not that repugnant.  There is even a sense of relief that you've got something off of your chest..

He is just expressing his irritation with this title and its hype.  You have to admit, having the "forever" option is very silly.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Bad analogy really.  Posting on a forum, even if it's a forum that you don't like, is not that repugnant.  There is even a sense of relief that you've got something off of your chest..

He is just expressing his irritation with this title and its hype.  You have to admit, having the "forever" option is very silly.

Maybe not "forever," but ArenaNet specifically designed the game to exist far into the afterlife.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    ill play until something better comes around but looking at upcoming games I don't see much that sparks my interest as much as GW2 so i see myself sticking with this one for awhile.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

Maybe not "forever," but ArenaNet specifically designed the game to exist far into the afterlife.

2nd page of this topic, post by OP, QuicklyScott.

OP said it was inserted for kicks and giggles...as I was doing, if you read my post on this page I enjoy: trolling trolls. And this was why I made an absurd analogy. Consider yourself trolled ;)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    People sure are betting a lot on DEs.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by bcbully

Nah. We're betting on ArenaNet.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• gexz7gexz7 Member Posts: 131

The best thing for me is having a game that if I dont play for a few months I can still pop into without paying again

Unfortunately all my accomplisments in WOW are unviewable unless paying a sub, 2 sad

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Until it gets boring or something better comes out. Need to throw that option into your pole because its impossible to guess how long anyone will play the same game.

OP said it was inserted for kicks and giggles...as I was doing, if you read my post on this page I enjoy: trolling trolls. And this was why I made an absurd analogy. Consider yourself trolled ;)

Oh damn and blast!  image

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Hopefully forever. It has all the PvP I have been hoping for for years

Until Planetside 2.

I can see Door Wars getting stale very quickly and the DE..I mean..it's a themepark anyway you slice it. I can only imagine the outcry of lack of skills come a couple months into lauch.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Lol if it helps my grandma touched my screen while I played GW2 it cured her cancer.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Its okay, Quickly, as spiderman says in Family Guy: Everyone gets one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

<3 :)

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

What's not to like about this?

Oh yeah, and it's free, unlike some games where you get charged $15 for several hour monthly (let's hope) content drops.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Gw2 may be my last MMO. Time is getting to tight.

Its okay, Quickly, as spiderman says in Family Guy: Everyone gets one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

Your attempt at trickery was thwarted by channel 5 here in the UK.  "This video contains content from channel 5 and WMG, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". Invulnerability!  I have changed the link accordingly.

Its okay, Quickly, as spiderman says in Family Guy: Everyone gets one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

Your attempt at trickery was thwarted by channel 5 here in the UK.  "This video contains content from channel 5 and WMG, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". Invulnerability!  I have changed the link accordingly.

Bah! Thought I could sneak in a twofer, but I have been thwarted! Well played, man. XD

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Derpybird

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

What's not to like about this?

Oh yeah, and it's free, unlike some games where you get charged $15 for several hour monthly (let's hope) content drops.

When you envy something your not going to like it no matter what.

Honestly though I can see some people not liking DE's it's possible.

Though just paying attention to details you'll see those who are talking shit just to start shit or those who feel threatened or I guess one could say those who are "hating."

Though it could be the person, like when GW2 releases, I won't be on other MMO game forums I'm not interested in, "hating" on the game, that shit lame, and it goes for anybody really(Yes fans of all games including GW2 lol).

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by tank017

several years lol....

thats laughable.

I´ve played Guild Wars for over 6 years.... why would it be different?

Not having to pay to play just allows you to get in whenever you feel like...any time..any month...any year...

If youre saying on and off for years then fine..

but for majority to play the game religiously for a year plus?

highly skeptical.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

several years lol....

thats laughable.

Not having to pay to play just allows you to get in whenever you feel like...any time..any month...any year...

highly skeptical.

Then you have never played an MMO per say.

I played EQ for 5 years.every day

WoW for 3.

I just quit STO after playing it since beta. (2.5 yrs)

MMOs are designed to be played for years, not days like a console game. In each it took me nearly a year to get 1 toon to max level. MMOs are the journey not the end of the journey

please refer to my article before replying: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/swordmark45/082012/23638_Guild-Wars-2-Why-is-WoW-launching-an-expansion-a-month-after-GW2-goes-live

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Seeing as I played DAoC for 2 years soley for the RvR portion of the game.  I could not stand the PvE or any other portion of the game but 2 solid years of RvR and Thidranki kept me pretty well entertained.  I see no reason why GW2 wont last at least that long and the kicker is, I think I love the PvE DE's more then the WvW so I definetly see myself logging in as hidden (hiding from responsibilities of being in a RvR centric guild) alot so I can get some solid PvE'ing done.  image

The only reason I see myself quitting is if Turbine announced an Asheron's Call 3 with a complete gfx overhaul but the core game system of the original staying the same.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RoxetteRoxette Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Based on how long I played other games, it will be sure about 3 years. But when I look at the old GW, which I played 4.5 years, it could be longer. However, the attraction marker for me its at the 3 year spot. So far, except one, all games lost attraction at that spot.

Played: Guild Wars, AoC, Lotro, CoH, Warhammer, Tabula Ras, Spellborn, Second Life, Rift, Aion, Tera.
    Playing: Guild Wars 2, WoT

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by swordmark45

several years lol....

thats laughable.

highly skeptical.

Then you have never played an MMO per say.

I played EQ for 5 years.every day

WoW for 3.

I just quit STO after playing it since beta. (2.5 yrs)

MMOs are designed to be played for years, not days like a console game. In each it took me nearly a year to get 1 toon to max level. MMOs are the journey not the end of the journey

please refer to my article before replying: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/swordmark45/082012/23638_Guild-Wars-2-Why-is-WoW-launching-an-expansion-a-month-after-GW2-goes-live

Ive played EQ religiously for 5 years,still play on and off til this day.Played Asheron's call for 2,and DAOC until ToA released.

the last MMO to really sustain its audience is WoW...which is 8 years old,every AAA MMO since then has not.

...almost a decade.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Hmm.....how long is a good question. Watching the market for the last years shows that we as MMO players react like "locusts". A new game comes out, everyone rushes through the content and then then just hop to the next game because there was not enough content in the last one.

Back in time we had not such an rich market for MMOs, there was one or two or perhaps 3. Now we have 10/20/30 out there. And as it is with meals, you cant eat Banana for the whole time, you would like to taste Strawberry as well or perhaps a bit of Coconut :)

I was hooked up for a long time to DaoC and as we all know, the first game you played gives you that "special feeling" which from now on you try to get back. And you never will get it back. But there might be a game which brings you close to that "old feeling" and not only the feeling, also the satisfaction you looking for.

I found that in GW 2. I got my Emain Feeling back with WvWvW wich is closer than every other game i tried (WAR and such) and i get something which i had not for a long time. no Kill Stealing, no loot steal, no Grind no Questhub runs and so forth. All this are reasons for me to stay longer as in other games. But estimate how long exactly? Hmm..i think i cant say. Someone here posted before, GW 2 + Planetside 2 is enough for 5 years +. Now i would say the same, but not with the 5 years.

I'll go for " a year". to much to discover, to much to see, to much keeps to conquer, to much ppl to meet, to much stuff to craft and so on. Even for someone which has more time to play as others.

I wish everyone tons of fun with GW 2 and let's see how long we can withstand the upcomming "Bananas, Coconuts and Strawberrys"  :)

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I am shocked about the amount of fanboyism this game is having... Several years?? cmon...