Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: On Launch and What’s to Come

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Gw2 is already leaps and bounds over gw1 and many of not all fantasy mmorpgs, now they are talking housing?! Oh shit games like WoW is in serious trouble!
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Those things are coming.

Personal instance is already in game, changed based on story... but Guild Halls, in-game Hall of Monuments, and housing all coming post-launch.

Link please? ty

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Jessina

Those things are coming.

Personal instance is already in game, changed based on story... but Guild Halls, in-game Hall of Monuments, and housing all coming post-launch.

Link please? ty

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047 scroll down to find Martin Kerstein

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by colddog04

Those things are coming.

But it'll likely be instanced housing which is not really a sandbox feature.

The sandbox comment was Garrett Fuller's opinion, not the person he was interviewing and I personally disagree with it. There really are not any sandbox features in the game at all. The only thing remotely resembling a sandbox feature is level scaling, making the world feel more open than your standard themepark. But even with that, you just have access to more rides.

I have no clue why he threw that in, but it is sure to create controversy.

Ok - let me explain it (how I see it)

Is GW2 a sandbox? No.

Is GW2 a theme park? Yes.

What is a theme park? It's a physical plot of land in which there are many rides and attractions for you to partake of and participate in.

What is a sandbox? It is a physical plot of land in which you have the tools to modify the plot itself and create new objects.

What GW2 is is a non-linear theme park.

You are not directed from 1-cap led by the hand, yes there are plenty of "rides" and locations in this themepark, but you can choose when to go to them (if at all) and how often you visit.

Because it is a non-linear themepark, some people (myself included) get that same feeling of wanderlust one generally gets in a well-made sandbox game (UO, SWG, Skyrim, etc.)

In most themeparks since WoW, you are led from ride to ride and you do not get a choice as to which ride you go to first and how often you are able to ride them and you are not able to go back and re-ride the same rides again because they tell you you've out grown them.

This is a linear themepark - straight line through content.

GW2 is a non-linear themepark, and as such "feels" a bit more sandboxy.

I suppose that's actually very accurate, and kind of makes me realise that for all the years I was pining for a sandbox, I would have been happy with a non-linear and unguided themepark like GW2. 

That freedom to explore where and when I like makes all the difference in the world to me, lack of hand holding and not being forced down that one same path every other player is is way more important to me than whether or not I can build a non-instanced farm in the end.

I generally view the term 'Themepark' with some negativity as it's generally meant a very pre-canned and linear experience on rails in the wake of WoW. Sure EQ was technically a themepark, but it was so open ended and unguided that it delivered a much different and much more engrossing experience for me than subsequent themeparks did.

All in all, it certainly says something positive about GW2s structure that it's a themepark which I have a hard time labelling as a themepark.

Can't wait to see where they go from here.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372
    Housing sucks.  I much rather  build a city or castle etc.   Housing though is going to be huge again because it fits right into cash shop upgrades and appearance stuff.  
  • taigahallataigahalla Member UncommonPosts: 9

I'm fine if there are server issues when GW2 releases (probably not for me, since I'm playing on the headstart release). As long as everyone else is affected, I'm fine with lag :P

Go Norn or Go HOME!

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Yesyesyes, we're all looking forward to GW2.

It is NOT a sandbox though.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

He lost me at the "very much a sandbox" part. Unless they implement some sort of player housing, guild town or things of that nature, not sure how that statement has any validity.

Don't get it either.

All I've read about this game was about dynamic events and PVP. Nothing about player generated content at all.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

1. Some may call it sandbox, some may call it ice cream, or whatever, I call it the game of the year! (btw Mr. BadSpock is right)

2. I will buy this game in October - yes, let me put it this way: I have some experience with disappointing launches.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Talk is cheap, and MMO developers are tightwads when it comes to post-launch management.  I'm hopeful AN can get it right but I'll believe it when I see it.  It's way, way, way too easy for them to screw up like most other games have done, and all the MMO veterans know it.  Prove us wrong!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    In the far future I would like to see the map open up a lot bigger

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

Those things are coming.

But it'll likely be instanced housing which is not really a sandbox feature.

The sandbox comment was Garrett Fuller's opinion, not the person he was interviewing and I personally disagree with it. There really are not any sandbox features in the game at all. The only thing remotely resembling a sandbox feature is level scaling, making the world feel more open than your standard themepark. But even with that, you just have access to more rides.

I have no clue why he threw that in, but it is sure to create controversy.

Ok - let me explain it (how I see it)

Is GW2 a sandbox? No.

Is GW2 a theme park? Yes.

What is a theme park? It's a physical plot of land in which there are many rides and attractions for you to partake of and participate in.

What is a sandbox? It is a physical plot of land in which you have the tools to modify the plot itself and create new objects.

What GW2 is is a non-linear theme park.

You are not directed from 1-cap led by the hand, yes there are plenty of "rides" and locations in this themepark, but you can choose when to go to them (if at all) and how often you visit.

Because it is a non-linear themepark, some people (myself included) get that same feeling of wanderlust one generally gets in a well-made sandbox game (UO, SWG, Skyrim, etc.)

In most themeparks since WoW, you are led from ride to ride and you do not get a choice as to which ride you go to first and how often you are able to ride them and you are not able to go back and re-ride the same rides again because they tell you you've out grown them.

This is a linear themepark - straight line through content.

GW2 is a non-linear themepark, and as such "feels" a bit more sandboxy.

I completely agree with everything you just said. And my personal experience with the game supports it.

I also agree and that is what has me so excited.  I am obviously excited about the prospect of GW2 itself, but I am probably more excited about the prospect this type of gameplay will have on future MMOs.  I see the hybrid Themepark/Sandbox as the future and GW2 is the first major step.

My view is that GW2 is built primarily on the themepark premise but with lots of sandbox elements included, which is great.  I'm hoping the next generation will take this a step further and build a game on a sandbox premise and sprinkle in themepark elements.  It's  a subtle, but important distinction. 

For now I'll happily take GW 2 and look forward to what games may come.

• lalapoolalapoo Member Posts: 16

He lost me at the "very much a sandbox" part. Unless they implement some sort of player housing, guild town or things of that nature, not sure how that statement has any validity.

From the responses IM see to this , I dont think very many people even know what a sandbox game is.

• lalapoolalapoo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by lalapoo

From the responses IM see to this , I dont think very many people even know what a sandbox game is.  Its definetely not GW2.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

there is no one thing that a game needs to be a sandbox.  and if there were one it wouldn't be player housing (and this is coming from a huge fan of housing).  Eve hasnt got any player housing; are you going to tell me eve isnt a sandbox?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by itchmon

there is no one thing that a game needs to be a sandbox.  and if there were one it wouldn't be player housing (and this is coming from a huge fan of housing).  Eve hasnt got any player housing; are you going to tell me eve isnt a sandbox?

I was on a loose path while in beta. I had room to do different things and ignore content, but it still wasn't within a large area. Unless I am missing something, it doesn't seem like I could run in a direction for 10 minutes or so and find something for me to do.

I do enjoy the game and eagerly await launch. That is despite that I believe it is a well done, narrow pathed, ride. If it were, a sandbox that is, it would be a very small sandbox and without many beloved sandbox mechanics.

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Its pretty much what I knew it would be, a solid and engaging game, Im pleased.
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

[quote]and honestly, we cannot wait for this game to launch! [/quote]

So true....

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Zyllos

...When large amounts of players hit the opening zones, they found the NPCs scaling up quickly to make encounters much harder than they should have been...

I do not like this statement. None of the BWEs felt too hard due to the number of invidivuals (or most likely when a small number of people was in the area but was scaled too much). Hopefully I am mis-reading this statement but I think they reduced the difficulty which it shouldn't have been.

u must've missed the flame shaman event in the charr starting zone back in BWE1. ;) people could hardly do any damage to him while he just one shots everyone. i'm sure that's one of the things Mike Z was referring to. :)

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Suryalist

Sandbox definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

Can't wait for GW2!

Are those links meant to convince everyone that GW2 is a sandbox game? Why is it so important that it be seen as a sanbox game anyways? Can't it be good without being a sandbox? I think so.

• SuryalistSuryalist Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by MaxJac

Sandbox definition:

Can't wait for GW2!

Are those links meant to convince everyone that GW2 is a sandbox game? Why is it so important that it be seen as a sanbox game anyways? Can't it be good without being a sandbox? I think so.

Nah not really my intention. Just noticed some people in here are only talking about certain aspects of sandbox and seem not to be fully aware of what it exactly is. Whatever GW2 is, I'm going to enjoy it for sure :P

Happy gaming ^^,

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by MaxJac

Sandbox definition:

Can't wait for GW2!

Yeah ... I find it very boring to see this obsession of sticking the sandbox word to any of their dream... 

Stop putting things into folders people, and just enjoy what you're given as is.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

"Well he was happy to say that ArenaNet plans on listening to players right away and adapting to feedback"

This scares me .... :°(

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Tayah

It's already been said after launch they will have player housing and guild halls.

Blizzard said the exact same thing just before launch. 

If Anet implement them, I will be impressed and they will tempt even more WoW players across.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright