Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will we get a mmo worth paying for

zakinzakin Member UncommonPosts: 46
All the games out currently and those releasing soon are either f2p or look like cartoons for 10 year olds. When can we get a good game for adults that is not a wow theme park wanna be clone.

Comments

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

GW2 is looking promising but it depends if you like it's fantasy element too.

Right now, the only other contenders are The Secret World for being a different type of sub-genre then the usual fantasy medieval element, and Eve Online for sandbox. Of course, there are pleanty more that are still decent to good.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Simple math,EQ2/Wow were 20-30 million dollar games to design,costs have sky rocketed since then.

Now i bet it would be tough to build a game for under 125 million that would meet my standards.

There are so many corners being cut by developers.

Many are using automated mapping like SpeedTree.Making of buildings are just static mesh with no insides.

Devs do not want to spend the time to develop rich classes,just throw a bunch of ideas out there and tell players to pick which ones they want to use.No housing,no mounts all to save cost of not only design but cost of running the game.Instances ,we still see a lot of that going around.

Archeage is going to be the most complete game ever launched as a MMO,we will see everything we expect and more.Even still this takes a developer in the richest gaming area in the world [Korea]to back it up.I still fully expect to see lots of corners being cut.Example the class design will be using tons of presets,i imagine will be more of the static buildings,with no movers/doors ect ect.Korean games are known for having a VERY lack UI,although i have heard rumblings the yare working on that already.

No matter a MEGA nation like Korea and tons of money and we will still see a lack of depth in several areas,i expect it.The defining moment for this game will be how the developer reacts when it turns a profit,does it invest back into the game to keep it alive and growing,instead of the usual game design we see in cheap xpacks,involving a few maps,not much more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by zakin
    All the games out currently and those releasing soon are either f2p or look like cartoons for 10 year olds. When can we get a good game for adults that is not a wow theme park wanna be clone.

Enjoy our quality collection of free adult games. Get it on hardcore with adult action games...

Scary stuff.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    when WOW 2 and Archeage comes out....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Tokken

WoW 2 (or whatever it will be called) will be interesting in which demographic they cater to. I think many WoW players have grown up by now (hard to believe, I know) and they will want a slightly different experience I would assume.

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

Define worth paying for

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    When they become cheap to make so that indie devs can flourish.   Hopefully someone will come out with a MMO as adaptable as Minecraft and then corner the genre.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Yeah saddly games are made for players of them to enjoy, and be entrained thru using them. As such i would say a vast array of the mmos we havve out are well worth paying for, but now the better question is "for how long will it be worth paying for?".
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Tokken

He said not cartoony.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Simple math,EQ2/Wow were 20-30 million dollar games to design,costs have sky rocketed since then.

Now i bet it would be tough to build a game for under 125 million that would meet my standards.

Many are using automated mapping like SpeedTree.Making of buildings are just static mesh with no insides.

Devs do not want to spend the time to develop rich classes,just throw a bunch of ideas out there and tell players to pick which ones they want to use.No housing,no mounts all to save cost of not only design but cost of running the game.Instances ,we still see a lot of that going around.

Archeage is going to be the most complete game ever launched as a MMO,we will see everything we expect and more.Even still this takes a developer in the richest gaming area in the world [Korea]to back it up.I still fully expect to see lots of corners being cut.Example the class design will be using tons of presets,i imagine will be more of the static buildings,with no movers/doors ect ect.Korean games are known for having a VERY lack UI,although i have heard rumblings the yare working on that already.

No matter a MEGA nation like Korea and tons of money and we will still see a lack of depth in several areas,i expect it.The defining moment for this game will be how the developer reacts when it turns a profit,does it invest back into the game to keep it alive and growing,instead of the usual game design we see in cheap xpacks,involving a few maps,not much more.

Why the hell would a game need to spend 125 million to meet your standards? These companies need to stop spending money on stupid shit like voice overs and CGI trailers that cost a fortune. Plenty of indie companies make good games with core elements for A LOT cheaper. No reason someone like Blizzard couldn't.

They spend their money all on marketing, cgi, voice overs, more marketing, little more marketing. Yeah, let's pay some actor to voice over our game that we could really care less about.

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

Problem is a lot of company's don't care about it being "worth it", they just have to make it seem like it is. 

Im sure most games with both a box price and sub fee make their money on the box alone, sub fees cover the maint from there.

if a game was truly worth a sub fee, they could let you dl the game free and pay monthly. ( without a p2w cash shop )

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    worth paying for? Just play a F2P MMO .. problem solved.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Haha, Archage looks like Jersey Shore MMO with slightly anime cartoonish feel. WoW 2 is not even planned yet, unless the person was talking about Titan. Who knows whats that gonna look like its years out of develop still.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Gw2 is worth the money that I paid for it.
  • Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    That is most likely tthe issue is that it is not that the game is worth playing bt paying a sub, but that we expect the game to meet some over the top standards that many have. It used to be about games actually being worth paying for because they were fun, not because they were this near unattainable style or type of game. Most people i see that play games most of all mmos that actually enjoy it, merely play the game with just the mind-set of enjoying what they game offers regardless of outside expectations that they may have for other games. It happens in movies as well with the Transformer series as of late being hated an seen as a terrible by many, because they viewed it as well a extention of the origanal series, yet when you actually take the movies solely by their merits an value as entertainment they are not nearly as bad as others make it out to be.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

The more you want cutting edge graphics and large games the more this serves the big companies like EA and Bliz.  I know a lot of people spend crazy money on GPUs and demand great graphics otherwise they look foolish for spending all that money but we should be trying to get more small developers in business by not requiring big bucks as the bottom line of games.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Wait for a MMO that you agree with .. go MMO-less for awhile if necessary.

My next MMO might be ArcheAge .. because it seems perfect for my playstyle.  Pick a stance and stop supporting crap games / crap companies.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

The Secret World is what you seek. Well worth the price

• zakinzakin Member UncommonPosts: 46
    A game in which I don't complete everything worth doing within a month and have nothing to do but run the same raids over and over until the next raid or xpac release
    The problem with f2p is that most I have tried were not worth the time it took to download them and in most you do have to pay to do the best content or get the better equipment
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    The problem with f2p is that most I have tried were not worth the time it took to download them and in most you do have to pay to do the best content or get the better equipment

What do you mean "worth paying for?"  Do you mean the box price, sub fee or both?

I don't need cutting edge graphics but I don't like the ones that look like cartoons from Asia wows graphics are not terrible just extremely dated I just don't want Tera graphics
    Originally posted by grimal

What do you mean "worth paying for?"  Do you mean the box price, sub fee or both?

both
    Originally posted by coretex666

My suggestions would be ArcheAge and Titan...I do not see how it contributes to the discussion or how it answers your question thoughThe question is WHEN, so for me it would be 2014. For you? I have no idea obviously...

Thanks for the reply I am keeping my on both of those and have decided to not play a mmo until one releases with at least some things I want and hopefully with the masses starting to show our displeasures with our wallets and not just our words companies will be forced to give us a complete product and not the half finished games they have been
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    My bet goes for archeage but we have to see it in action first.All videos houses open pvp ship fights char c and open char progression are all great but in action it may be different.