Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

TERA: Layoffs Reported at En Masse Entertainment

124

Comments

  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Seattle, WAPosts: 1,069Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by FreyaVP

    all the unwarranted tera hate makes me wonder about the community here...

    this is a comment thread, not a mass insult thread, frankly none of you have any clue -why- they had to lay some people off, nor do you have any clue to the success of the game or not. seeing the random number of subs being thrown around, and the "hurr hurr f2p" being thrown around is rather ignorant.

     

    even more laughable is the "questing in tera sucks" insults... considering 95% of MMOs have the same cut and dry kill x monster, collecy y drop, deliver to point z questing, it's really kind of stupid to point this out as one of tera's flaws, when it's a problem in the genre, not the game.

    Great post! I'm pretty sure this also applies to many video games. Amazing how oblivious folks can be on these boards!

    image

  • ZetsueiZetsuei Dana, KYPosts: 252Member
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    You know what sucks about this the most? The people getting laid off will be the ones that kept their heads down and worked hard a this games code and what not. The executives and people with control will not move.

    Welcome to the real world. Its s sad fact of life but its true. The fact 99% of companies would rather cut people than have the execs take a pay cut is what is most frightening. Those execs are probably making x5 the amount of money than everyone else. But when its time to tighten the belt and lower costs its easier to cut people than have them take a cut.

  • ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR FinlandPosts: 189Member Uncommon

    Well after a large chunk of work on the project is completed, a company doesn't need all the human resources anymore. They can't just make everyone a forum mod or a game admin. So this doesn't nececerily mean that EME is doing extremely bad. If EME had other projects, it'd be a different story (just move ppl over to a new project). Welcome to the corporate world of managers and executives. :P

    Cheers.

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by dieman4
    a lesson to all game developers *clears throat*.

    If you dont give a dam what the community wants....then enjoy your game failing in front of your face :]

    You may have created this wonderful game but, the game is only as good as its community..

    Disrespect the community...dont give a shit about their opinion and there you go..what 4-5 years of effort into making this game? And it only took 1-2 months after release to get shat on.

    So future game developers please..learn from this and actually give a DAM about the community. Its what makes your game alive and give you money.

    Thank you.


    Why even bother then if you cant keep your artistic freedom?.If its about the money Im sure there is a better and safer businesses you could be involved with.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • Yannick78Yannick78 Spartanburg, SCPosts: 1Member
    Originally posted by cronius77

    okay i usually am all for pitty parties when people get let go here and i even hated it when swtor laid off employees but i seriously cannot even begin to feel sorry for this company and honestly why should anyone?

    This company bought the rights to a game that was flopping in asia that was posted during beta phases even in asia over a year ago on this site. This was before en masse was even anounced. So basically all im getting in is a ceo or board went in blindly and purchased the rights to tera without doing any research on the game before selling it here and then hired a bunch of people whom also did no research and just took the job thinking they would be perfectly fine even though the game was dying in korea and china? seriously whats wrong with this picture here, they knew better and my only guess is they were unemployed before this and had no choice but to take the job with en masse as anyone whom has choices of places to work tend to do tons of research before making that decision. Like i said im usually not this harsh on this sort of stuff but I just cannot fathom people not doing a google search before signing their life away.

     

    Wow, you have no clue what you are talking about.

    1. Blue Hole Studio and En Masse Entertainment are the same company. En masse is the North American branch of BHS. 

    2. BHS has roughly 200 employees, En Masse had roughly 70 employees before the lay offs. 

    3. The people that were laid off were essentially people from the "PR" division of En Masse. The actual developers of this game are back in Korea with BHS

    4. In the Korean Market no new MMO does well for more than around 6 months because their MMO market is insanely saturated with a ton of largely cut rate MMOs. 

    5. Blue Hole Studios has actually hired new devs since the North American release of TERA, but no one ever reports on Devs hired but instead make a big stink with some PR people are let go.

  • KumaponKumapon Vancouver, BCPosts: 706Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Yannick78

    Originally posted by cronius77 okay i usually am all for pitty parties when people get let go here and i even hated it when swtor laid off employees but i seriously cannot even begin to feel sorry for this company and honestly why should anyone? This company bought the rights to a game that was flopping in asia that was posted during beta phases even in asia over a year ago on this site. This was before en masse was even anounced. So basically all im getting in is a ceo or board went in blindly and purchased the rights to tera without doing any research on the game before selling it here and then hired a bunch of people whom also did no research and just took the job thinking they would be perfectly fine even though the game was dying in korea and china? seriously whats wrong with this picture here, they knew better and my only guess is they were unemployed before this and had no choice but to take the job with en masse as anyone whom has choices of places to work tend to do tons of research before making that decision. Like i said im usually not this harsh on this sort of stuff but I just cannot fathom people not doing a google search before signing their life away.
     

    Wow, you have no clue what you are talking about.

    1. Blue Hole Studio and En Masse Entertainment are the same company. En masse is the North American branch of BHS. 

    2. BHS has roughly 200 employees, En Masse had roughly 70 employees before the lay offs. 

    3. The people that were laid off were essentially people from the "PR" division of En Masse. The actual developers of this game are back in Korea with BHS

    4. In the Korean Market no new MMO does well for more than around 6 months because their MMO market is insanely saturated with a ton of largely cut rate MMOs. 

    5. Blue Hole Studios has actually hired new devs since the North American release of TERA, but no one ever reports on Devs hired but instead make a big stink with some PR people are let go.



    I don't know what it is with Tera fanbois, they are the craziest lot around. They just can't fathom that the game just isn't very good, and that is why the game is bombing everywhere in the world. If it wasn't for the TOR mess, Tera would easily be the biggest World wide Bomb of ALL-TIME.


    BHS has not hired new devs, how could they? They are not making any money at all. Now your just making stuff up. Also dude they just got rid of their entire PR staff, CS staff, and senior Network Operations Managers. This was a huge deep cut. It's not some rinky dinky thing.


    I swear fanbois think there is some world wide media conspiracy. There isn't, the game just isn't very good.

  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Amory, MSPosts: 2,544Member Uncommon

    Well, I've had a lot of negative things to say about TERA, but I still consider it the 4th best MMORPG currently available.

     

  • mayito7777mayito7777 Saint Cloud, FLPosts: 636Member Uncommon
    I think one of the main problems in TERA is the lack of knowledge of the in game GMs, banning people just for talking in LFG, say whattttt??? They are rude, disrespectful and dont have a freaking clue what the game is about, this is the main reason that is turning so manyh people off and against the game. You cannot mistreat your player base.

    want 7 free days of playing? Try this

    http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

  • PostcardsPostcards Springfield, VAPosts: 105Member

    The LFG channel in TERA is pure garbage and people talk about the stupidest things. Of course they are going to get banned. LFG channel was meant for people looking for groups.  I do agree that it seems like some of the GMs don't even play the game or know a damn thing about the game though.

    The thing turning people away from the game in my opinion is the damn RNG involved with enchanting. The RNG for masterworking is even worse.

  • Dreamysher28Dreamysher28 Sebringville, ONPosts: 3Member Uncommon

    So some dont like the game after trying it.

    and I was gonna try it but i looked at the subs for the game. They rose the prices up for 3 months and 6 months to a year.

    http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/faq

    What are TERA's subscription plans?

    Recurring subscriptions ensure you don't miss a minute of TERA gameplay. Long term subscriptions give you great discounts too! Subscription amounts are billed in full at the time of renewal after your trial period.

    Set up your subscription before May 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST to receive discounted inaugural pricing below:

    • Monthly Subscription: $14.99
    • 3-month Subscription: $35.85 ($11.95/month = 20% discount)
    • 6-month Subscription: $59.70 ($9.95/month = 34% discount)
    • Yearly Subscription: $107.40 ($8.95/month = 40% discount)

    Beginning June 1, 2012, at 12:00 AM PST, the pricing will change to the normal rate:

    • Monthly Subscription: $14.99
    • 3-month Subscription: $38.85 ($12.95/month = 14% discount)
    • 6-month Subscription: $65.70 ($10.95/month = 27% discount)
    • Yearly Subscription: $119.40 ($9.95/month = 34% discount)
     
  • hopenottakenhopenottaken No CityPosts: 38Member
    Brian Knox killed another game. I wonder who will hire him after this.
  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,348Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yannick78
    Originally posted by cronius77

    okay i usually am all for pitty parties when people get let go here and i even hated it when swtor laid off employees but i seriously cannot even begin to feel sorry for this company and honestly why should anyone?

    This company bought the rights to a game that was flopping in asia that was posted during beta phases even in asia over a year ago on this site. This was before en masse was even anounced. So basically all im getting in is a ceo or board went in blindly and purchased the rights to tera without doing any research on the game before selling it here and then hired a bunch of people whom also did no research and just took the job thinking they would be perfectly fine even though the game was dying in korea and china? seriously whats wrong with this picture here, they knew better and my only guess is they were unemployed before this and had no choice but to take the job with en masse as anyone whom has choices of places to work tend to do tons of research before making that decision. Like i said im usually not this harsh on this sort of stuff but I just cannot fathom people not doing a google search before signing their life away.

     

    Wow, you have no clue what you are talking about.

    1. Blue Hole Studio and En Masse Entertainment are the same company. En masse is the North American branch of BHS. 

    2. BHS has roughly 200 employees, En Masse had roughly 70 employees before the lay offs. 

    3. The people that were laid off were essentially people from the "PR" division of En Masse. The actual developers of this game are back in Korea with BHS

    4. In the Korean Market no new MMO does well for more than around 6 months because their MMO market is insanely saturated with a ton of largely cut rate MMOs. 

    5. Blue Hole Studios has actually hired new devs since the North American release of TERA, but no one ever reports on Devs hired but instead make a big stink with some PR people are let go.

    i have no clue? are you serious? you here are the one with no clue what a publisher is....... En Masse does nothing but publish TERA in north america they are not part of blue hole studio but thanks for posting a bunch of false information.

    http://wiki.terafans.com/En_Masse

    get your facts straight before you post nonsense.

  • NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Yannick78
    Originally posted by cronius77

    okay i usually am all for pitty parties when people get let go here and i even hated it when swtor laid off employees but i seriously cannot even begin to feel sorry for this company and honestly why should anyone?

    This company bought the rights to a game that was flopping in asia that was posted during beta phases even in asia over a year ago on this site. This was before en masse was even anounced. So basically all im getting in is a ceo or board went in blindly and purchased the rights to tera without doing any research on the game before selling it here and then hired a bunch of people whom also did no research and just took the job thinking they would be perfectly fine even though the game was dying in korea and china? seriously whats wrong with this picture here, they knew better and my only guess is they were unemployed before this and had no choice but to take the job with en masse as anyone whom has choices of places to work tend to do tons of research before making that decision. Like i said im usually not this harsh on this sort of stuff but I just cannot fathom people not doing a google search before signing their life away.

     

    Wow, you have no clue what you are talking about.

    1. Blue Hole Studio and En Masse Entertainment are the same company. En masse is the North American branch of BHS. 

    2. BHS has roughly 200 employees, En Masse had roughly 70 employees before the lay offs. 

    3. The people that were laid off were essentially people from the "PR" division of En Masse. The actual developers of this game are back in Korea with BHS

    4. In the Korean Market no new MMO does well for more than around 6 months because their MMO market is insanely saturated with a ton of largely cut rate MMOs. 

    5. Blue Hole Studios has actually hired new devs since the North American release of TERA, but no one ever reports on Devs hired but instead make a big stink with some PR people are let go.

    i have no clue? are you serious? you here are the one with no clue what a publisher is....... En Masse does nothing but publish TERA in north america they are not part of blue hole studio but thanks for posting a bunch of false information.

    http://wiki.terafans.com/En_Masse

    get your facts straight before you post nonsense.

    What am I missing? It's even on their website. http://www.bluehole.net/english/bluehole/enmasse.html I see the text was changed since my last visit but whatevs.

    Under History (http://www.bluehole.net/english/bluehole/history.html) it says for Feb 2010 "North America Subsidiary office name change to En Masse Entertainment".

  • NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member

    "A subsidiary of Bluehole Studio, En Masse Entertainment has been formed."

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/24/tera-forming-en-masse-entertainment/

     

    Anyways, carry on debating.

  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,348Member Uncommon

    they are just the publisher here in the states and being their flagship was for tera of course they are a subsidie company. They planned to continue publishing other games in the states , they are absolutely no  different then G potato or any of the other zillion publishers trying to make a buck off the asian market.

    Tera was dying way before even coming to the states , anyone going to work for them without doing the research first can only blame themselves for the layoffs. Its just like if I go work for some store or business , their lots are empty they are not doing any business and I just listen to their hype about how they are going to blow things off the roof in sales when there is no one even in the store , I have no one to blame but myself for going to work there and then a few weeks later getting laid off.

    There is tons of people in north america getting laid off all the time for actual valid reasons like outsourcing and cutting employees to make more profit , then a medeocre game at best coming to the states and expecting it to do so well. I can tell anyone out in the world that im going to make a million bucks in a week to come work for me and if they do not bother doing the research themselves and come expecting that , they have no one to blame but themselves.

    This game was dead in the water well before it released outside of korea , if you want to look up history just look to these forums over a year ago when people were showing the numbers in korea dropping worse then SWTOR was here and they never recovered. So how will this game exactly do differently if they are bombing in korea? Also trends alone here show that most asian games do not do well here in the states except L2 and GW , the rest have bombdived like aion and all the other free to play garbage that litters this site and others.

  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Miami, FLPosts: 915Member

    This was updated on the official forums, although the thread is now closed.

    Korean news is reporting that EME laid off 25% of its staff (20 out of 80 staff members) due to not hitting their target of 20 million dollars profit in NA. Speculation is that BHS is restructuring EME to make way for FTP. When asked a representative from BHS; their response was "No comment".

    image

  • XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,607Member Uncommon

    No amount of lay offs or Free to play is going to save Tera.


    I really liked Tera but the end game is RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG.


    Unless they do a MASSIVE over haul of the loot system Tera is going to die a slow death.

  • RenoakuRenoaku Posts: 1,005Member Uncommon

    Like it or not Tera is done for, Tera could have been a great game, but less than a month after launch the company started to sell items in a Cash Shop, they left out what in my opinion is a key feature of a game like this Customization, told me I had to pay $10 to change my characters appearance after it was created, the Box never said this, the Box itself NEVER even had a USER AGREEMENT in it, and during the time I created my account way before TERA was even launched I was never required to accept an agreement.

    TERA as a game is done for unless Enmasse makes changes to the game and fast the game itself is DULL there is nothing to keep players around, no fun, I would still be subscribed today to the game if Enmasse had of kept all the customization free to subscribers but they didn't so I left.

    Lets not forget about the ELIN, and Censorships that were thrown into the game after launch.

    Tera is dead, the only hope they have now is to make the game FREE 2 Play, or loose it completely it won't go down over night but it will loose its numbers unless major improvements come.

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,593Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Renoaku

    Like it or not Tera is done for, Tera could have been a great game, but less than a month after launch the company started to sell items in a Cash Shop, they left out what in my opinion is a key feature of a game like this Customization, told me I had to pay $10 to change my characters appearance after it was created, the Box never said this, the Box itself NEVER even had a USER AGREEMENT in it, and during the time I created my account way before TERA was even launched I was never required to accept an agreement.

    TERA as a game is done for unless Enmasse makes changes to the game and fast the game itself is DULL there is nothing to keep players around, no fun, I would still be subscribed today to the game if Enmasse had of kept all the customization free to subscribers but they didn't so I left.

    Lets not forget about the ELIN, and Censorships that were thrown into the game after launch.

    Tera is dead, the only hope they have now is to make the game FREE 2 Play, or loose it completely it won't go down over night but it will loose its numbers unless major improvements come.

    I'm aware of the changes to the Elin and such. But seriously, can you even imagine the absolute HYSTERICS that some of the Concerned Citizens would have had, if they had kept them the same as they are in Korea? The politicians would have had a field day, with their pandering to the soccer mom types, and the Concerned Citizens howling would have echoed across the land. Its best for all concerned that such be side stepped.  

    As for the rest, the game itself is rather entertaining (the combat system is one of the best I've seen in years).  But it has too many rough edges (the warrior ability backstab pathing bug "you can not travel there"..., being just one of many. ). Over all, it could have been a much better game, if more attention to detail had been paid. 

    Lets not even go into the insane RNG enchanting system... I can't believe that they thought that something like that would go over well in the western markets.  <face palm>

    Over all, Tera is an example of what happens when attempting to mix too many design ideas, with staff who have too little technical and design experience in dealing with how complex systems interact.  Couple that with time constraints, and things tend not to turn out well.  Whats amazing, is that it works as well as it does. The graphics for example, are very well done (but again, rough in some areas). 

  • ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member
    Dirty traitors at EME I hope you all rot and never find another job.  Shame on you for stealing NCsoft's trade secrets and calling it TERA.
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zooce
    Dirty traitors at EME I hope you all rot and never find another job.  Shame on you for stealing NCsoft's trade secrets and calling it TERA.

    WOW, what's it like going through life so misinformed?

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • snaffsnaff BandungPosts: 2Member
    lol i see what you did there XD
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Flanders, NJPosts: 139Member Uncommon

    I am waiting for TERA to go free to play.

    I expect it to follow SWTOR shortly after.

  • illutianillutian There, OHPosts: 217Member Uncommon
    MMO's are a dying genre. What you think WoW's now 9-million sub is just because the game is old? Wrong, the Genre is old.

    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall." - Confucius

Sign In or Register to comment.