Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a sandbox? What is a themepark? How I see it.

2»

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

My personal defintions for the 2 sub genres is as follows:

Sandbox - Open world, no hand-holding, non-linear world where content is not spoon fed but instead player  centric.  Meaning the player has freedom of choice i.e. Player [A] might choose to head north and explore the world and kill monsters along the way and player [B]  might choose to group up with a friend and run to the closest dungeon or forest spawn location and grind monsters to level up. levels are either optional or a base to guage player skill, however levels are usually non existant. Usually the world is not zoned but if it s then there are no artifcial barriers to limite freedom of movement.  Basically boils down to freedom of choice and linear gameplay.

Themepark-  On-rails, bread-crumbed linear game world where you can only level via one method, which is usually through questing. No freedom of choice and no wondering off the beaten path because of developer implemented hurdles.  Artificial barriers that limit freedom of movement (zone walls).

Interesting themepark definition. By your standards, WoW is not a themepark.

Interesting indeed.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Ohhh boy this again lol :).

Honestly, I don't like to define sandbox or themepark too narrowly because then I think it gives us tunnelvision when we think of the two archetypes.  Instead, I like to view sandbox and themepark as two points on a continuum where the left end of the continuum is a completely  unguided experience, and the right end of the continuum is a completely guided experience (linear).

A pure sandbox is basically the same as a completely unguided experience, so it is at the far left of the continuum.  Like its namesake, it is a game where you can do anything you feel like...no established goals, no suggestions.  Minecraft is fairly close to a pure sandbox IMO.

A pure themepark contains a few non-linear elements, but is primarily guided...so it is close to the far right, but not all the way.  Like its namesake, it has a bunch of "rides" that players can get on.  They are free to select from a fairly restricted number of rides, but once they are on the ride...the experience is fairly guided.  The ride selection here is the non-linear, sandboxy element.  The key here though is that once you actually pick a ride, the experience is fairly guided from there on out.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

I'll bite with my 2 cents - 

These are two loaded terms that have absolutely no concrete definition. It is difficult to settle on even a broad generalization of what each word means.  They can be used to promote ones snobbery (or feeling or beliefs): I only play pure X type of games as they are the one true time of MMORPG. 

Simular loaded words are hardcore and casual. 

I don't think these type of terms ever lead to any productive conversation in fact they go the other direction. It is better to talk about something more specific, such as, housing should be part of every MMORPG because...

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Sandbox - Has tools that let the players use their imagination to create content. In UO this came in the form of people creating their own roles to play and a sociopolitical aspect.

Themepark - Anything that does not have tools that let the player create content.

• heavy3p0heavy3p0 Member Posts: 16
    I agree with Davestr1zl. For me it boils down to themeparks deliver dev created content and theme parks are player driven content.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Sandbox - Open world, no hand-holding, non-linear world where content is not spoon fed but instead player  centric.  Meaning the player has freedom of choice i.e. Player [A] might choose to head north and explore the world and kill monsters along the way and player [B]  might choose to group up with a friend and run to the closest dungeon or forest spawn location and grind monsters to level up. levels are either optional or a base to guage player skill, however levels are usually non existant. Usually the world is not zoned but if it s then there are no artifcial barriers to limite freedom of movement.  Basically boils down to freedom of choice and linear gameplay.

Themepark-  On-rails, bread-crumbed linear game world where you can only level via one method, which is usually through questing. No freedom of choice and no wondering off the beaten path because of developer implemented hurdles.  Artificial barriers that limit freedom of movement (zone walls).

Interesting indeed.

Wow is the epitome of thempark.  In fact the phrase "bread-crumbing" was opined by the developers way back in Alpha.  WoW is linear from zone to zone.  Sure you may have a choice as to which zone to go but only sofar as to the level of the mobs in question, you still can't go from character creation to say Howling Fjord (without using scroll of rez of course).  You are set upon a linear path.  WoW doesnt give me the freedom of choice to wield a longbow as a mage type character, and lastly WoW usses artifical barriers all over the place to limit and constrict movement.  SO I dont see how and where you get that I think WoW is anything but a themepark of the utmost design.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Interesting indeed.

That's the so-called GW2 effect. We had threads how the game redefined the genre, redefined the payment models, redefined how combat works, in fact redefined the whole gaming industry.

It also redefined the English language. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

What a messy inaccurate definition.

Sandboxes have sand.

Themeparks have rides.

Sand is stuff you can manipulate -- it's player-authored, player-manipulated, or player-created mechanics.

Rides are stuff you can't manipulate -- all the dev-authored stuff (dungeons, abiltiies, monsters, the world, etc.)

Obviously nearly every game has both sand and rides, but it's the core focus of a game which determines what the game is labelled.

Linearity has nothing to do with it.  It's not like Six Flags or Disneyland are linear, so the term itself invokes no sense of linearity.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Tahah... somehow it reminded of of Sue Sylvester from Glee. "And that's how I C it!" XD

lol

Buuut, as to the article, I think it's a good summary. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Interesting indeed.

Wow is the epitome of thempark.  In fact the phrase "bread-crumbing" was opined by the developers way back in Alpha.  WoW is linear from zone to zone.  Sure you may have a choice as to which zone to go but only sofar as to the level of the mobs in question, you still can't go from character creation to say Howling Fjord (without using scroll of rez of course).  You are set upon a linear path.  WoW doesnt give me the freedom of choice to wield a longbow as a mage type character, and lastly WoW usses artifical barriers all over the place to limit and constrict movement.  SO I dont see how and where you get that I think WoW is anything but a themepark of the utmost design.

Plenty of 'sandbox' games have brea-crumbing.  It's not exclusive to themeparks.  WoW can be played non-linearily and a new character has multiple choices where they go in order to level.  A level 1 character can go to Howlcing Fjord.  You simply go to a major port city and catch the boat.  Sandbox games limit where the player can go through the use of terrain or zone boundaries. 

I can use your definition and 'prove' that EVE is a themepark because it has all those elements somewhere in it.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Sandbox - EVE

Old school themepark - EQ

New school themepark - WoW

That's how I view it.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/317478/Sandbox-vs-Themepark-Discussion-Thread.html

God, not another one of these...

OP, please PLEASE use the thread linked by Torgrim, everything that has been posted so far in yours has already been discussed up, down, left, right, forwards, backwards and inside out in the one he linked. Don't start another threadnaught on this.

Where's the any key?

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Thats the problem with this discussion, first off, some a##hole defined both on wiki so now everyones an expert, when in all reality neither genre has to be confined by the rules wiki and nerds alike have created for both genres. Its funny cause grand theft auto was originally considered a sandbox, but it had a main quest line so it has to be a themepark. SWG was a sandbox and it had player housing, so all sandboxes have to have player housing lol. Sandboxes are supposed to be non linear and open, but (like some dude said earlier) eve has some story and boundries so its a themepark lol. All these stupid rules, are exactly that, stupid.

Not hard to create a game with good elements from both without being stuck by the laws of morons. Of course this generation of developers are in the same boat where every element of gaming has  been divided up between two colums sandbox vs themepark, like bioware, they obviously followed the clear cut definition of themepark, taking everything themeparks have that's good and bad, and look at the wonderful product they put out lol.

Some developer in the far far future will make a game by adding things that are fun, instead of coming up with the latest industry standard/definition of what they should have in place because of the "genre/gametype" tag they self impose on themselves. If bioware would have taken some of their "wall of crazy concepts"  instead of everything off their "how to clone WoW" list, maybe they could have been more successful.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

A sandbox is lego.  A themepark is legoland.

Do I win anything?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Do I win anything?

One of the most succinct and unbiased explanations I've seen so far.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Do I win anything?

You win a +1, great answer.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Do I win anything?

You win a +1, great answer.

TY, I spent it on reddit.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Someone needs to build a Six Flags on the beach.  =P
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SoulSurfer

Head to the beach in Free Realms and see your idea in motion.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by SoulSurfer

Head to the beach in Free Realms and see your idea in motion.

Interesting, lol...

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

Do I win anything?

You definitely should win something for that :)

If anyone wants to know what lego is in a game context, here is an interesting article discussing EvE's metagame.

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/PIR/meta-gaming-in-eve-online-227564.phtml

I personnally do not see the ability to do meaningful questing by heading in any direction is enough to be considered Sandboxy, instead it is a good indicator of having a superior amount of developer content (rides).