Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: 

Yes, since I'm a SW fan it's pretty obvious why I was interested :)

Do you currently play this game?:

No.

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

Reasons why I left were, really slow bug fixes, poor high lvl content (or no content at all), issues with textures on tattooine and really massive pvp bugs. There's also this feeling I had when I was playing the game, like I'm all alone in the world and the grouped content I did was either really hard to find people for or just really boring to do. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

EVE. GW1.

Eve is just massive and gives this chance of doing lots of different things in the game... Requires more than just 10 mins to learn how the game works and keeps the challange on level... I don't like the "handholding" mmorpgs (wow comes to mind) that much...

GW1 keeps me comming back ever since it first came out, I really don't know why tho... I just like the world and the community. Also, the game gives up a pretty good challange as well, not to mention pvp is really cool :D

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Fanboys? :D haha. When I find some interesting post I join in the conversation, since those are rare I'm not posting frequently here.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

Was  interested but I doubted the choice of focusing on fully voice-over story. Way too expensive to make extra content. Also WoW-clones, have had my share of those. I didn't buy into the hype, too many plastic smiles and sales talk.

Free trials for the story of all the classes. I might play further if GW2 wears off fast enough.

Why not? Tried of current WoW clone without story. Giving the story a chance to fill the weeks before the big one.

Uhm, no.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
    see above.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    Could have been so much more. Such an investment, such poor foresight. Now they say 20/20 vision in hindsight. Many had 20/20 vision in beta and saw this coming from miles away. Yet the people making the big bucks knew better. Beta feedback, who the hell even reads that? LOL! Right....

Oh, and I mostly get here through the front page in case you're at all wondering.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

imageimage
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Yes, although I'd never played any Bioware games, everyone seemed to rave about Bioware so I was interested to get into beta and try it out. Boy was I in for a shock, barely any communication with testers, and testers flamed if they didn't bum kiss.

No

I quit after my 30 days were up. Knowing how terrible the game would be from playing beta, I still bought it to play with family, guildies, friends as a game to play to pass time until I got into Guild Wars 2 beta.

It was a  poorly made copy of WoW. Everything in their first major update was needed for release and was brought up at least a year before release in beta.Lack of communication with the community from Bioware, their arrogance that their customers are beneath them rubs me the wrong way. They don't seem to care about the customers at all, just their egos. Illum is broken, the worlds feel empty and dead (This is a major flaw for me). I could go on and on and on, but those are a few reasons.

Currently, not playing any game and haven't played an mmorpg since WoW, quit a few years back before Cataclysm came out, when the raid/arena/dailies grind became a second job.

I will however be playing GW2 and Planetside 2 as neither have raid grinding.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Current Forum Activity tab

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

initially, then more information so no - friend talked me into buying it - did so even though i knew
    no

sub par graphics - useless crafting - dead market - no real exploration - linear - crap space missions
     EVE - opposite of reply to previous question
     i don't normally
    Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55

Yes, I was very interested in this game before it came out.  Not only am I a huge fan of Star Wars, I am also a fan of the old Bioware RPGs.

Yes.

First and foremost, I love the character stories.  I also enjoy the campanion system.  Thinking deeper, though, I would have to say that this is a very casual friendly game with a lot of options to play.  There are options for both solo and group play.  I can easily get lost in this game for multiple hours.  On the other hand, if I only have under an hour to play, there are plenty of things I can do.  Finally, everyone in my little guild is still greatly enjoying this game, so, for me, SWTOR is a very social experience.   

N/A

I am currently playing TSW.  I also periodically dabble in LOTRO and AoC.  I really enjoy TSW's modern setting and it's excellent story and mood.  As for the other two, I really enjoy the IPs. 

I very rarely post in the forums here.  I come to this site to browse for any news pertaining to the games I like and to see if there are any new contests.

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

Yes and I plan to for a long while. It is a very good game only is going to get better.

I find these Warzones so much better than WoW and the pvp even with all the stuns etc. is a lot of fun.

Ajax

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Do you currently play this game?: no

If no, please explain why: The game offered nothing new. It was the same stuff as always, with a Star-Wars skin.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: none, I will play Fallen Earth again though, once I have the time

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? The link was on the main page.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

yes, due to the star wars ip and bioware developing

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why:  to many reasons.. the basic game design is flawed

the secret world, eve online.  TSW because a friend asked me to and I enjoy it so far, Eve because its the only MMO that offers the gameplay I am most interested in.

I followed TORs development since before it even had an IP or a name,  and I played it from early release until last month so I have a strong interest in discussing the game, my issues with it, and its potential effects on the genre.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes.  I was intrigued by the idea of World of Warcraft in a Star Wars setting.  I figured if SW:TOR could manage to beat WoW at its own game, it would be a solid experience.  By and large, I think SW:TOR has come pretty close.  I enjoy its leveling experience far better than I enjoyed leveling in WoW, but endgame mechanics are fairly poor right now.

Do you currently play this game?:  No.  

I've done everything in the game I've set out to do.  I leveled my sentinel to 50 within the first month of release and recently came back to complete all hard mode raids.  While I enjoy leveling my commando alt, I'm no longer compelled to play at this moment.  I thought the legacy system was a cheap ploy to keep people playing longer and the sterile gameworld made it difficult to feel immersed in the universe.  I will probably return for the next big content update.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Not really playing any more MMORPGs at the moment.  Trying to find a decent F2P game to keep my occupied in order to save money.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  SW:TOR is not a bad game in any quantifiable aspect.  You can say the game has been a disappointment, but this game gets a major amount of unfair criticism most likely becaue of the game's publisher.  In reality, SW:TOR is a product of its time.  It's just a WoW clone with a Star Wars skin, which ironically gets the most heat despite not even being the most blatant clone.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I wanted to play this game from an early stage because I was a fan of Bioware's previous RPGs and because I liked the Star Wars IP - I was also a long-time supporter of SOE's SW-themed MMO, Star Wars Galaxies.

I followed this game for years - mostly through footage, images, press releases and materials issued by EA/Bioware. As the game approached launch, it began to be extremely clear that this much of this information was being contradicted in many cases by information from outside, third party sources. 

I began to be interested in the game not just as a game but as an example of a product that was likeloy to be extremely inferior and whose imminent failure would in fact be hastened by crass over-marketing.

No.  I played in Beta and then as a paid account for two months.

This game was exceptionally limited. It was very linear and its features were extremely limited. There were essentially only two types of 'game experience':

- Broken and clumsy PVP

- Repetitive and dull PVE.

It became obvious to anyone within a short time of playing that this game was not what we had been promised by the game's development and marketing teams. Somewhere in the development process, Bioware had made a decision to radically cut back on previously promised features and, instead, put out the game to meet some marketing or financial calendar.

World of Warcraft and, imminently, GW2.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  

I post frequently in this forum for the following reasons:

- Because MMORPG.com is still a premier source for news and discussion of news regarding MMOs.

- Because it' important to get the truth out, even though it often seems that the Community Manager and his Mods play 'favourites' with both games and forum posters and are, in many cases, a great deal less intelligent than many of the posters they censor, often for trivial reasons.  Generally, the Modding in this forum is disgraceful.

• FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

Yes. I followed the game for about a year prior to release. I quit playing WoW, and checked out some of the other titles that BioWare had developed in the past since I had never played any of their games. I was really impressed with Mass Effect 1 and 2, less so by Dragon Age Origins.

I was very interested in the idea of playing a new MMO from day 1, I thought the VO and class quest cut-scenes were a great idea, and I've always been a Star Wars fan. I kind of missed the boat on SWG, and on the chance that TOR really took off I wanted to be involved from the start.

Sort of?

I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe edition when pre-orders were announced. My wife and I un-subscribed just before our first free month ran out. I recently re-installed the game to take advantage of the free trial, and I may play a bit when it goes F2P.

I really enjoy the character leveling experience. I never got a chance to play all the classes, all the way through, and would like to do that when the game goes F2P. I especially like making class quest videos.

I am not playing it as my main MMO because I was very disappointed in how endgame was implemented.

I am currently playing World of Warcraft as my main MMO. Of everything currently on the market, it has the best endgame character progression.

I really wanted to love this game, but I was unable to do so. I like to stay up to date with what is going on. I really wish there was some way to "fix" what I perceive to be wrong with it, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Since I invested so much time into following this game, I guess I feel entitled to share my opinions as to what what wrong, what BioWare did right, why I became disinterested, etc.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Yes,  up until right before beta when they exposed their plans to become anohter gear grind and catered to guilds like Ensidia on their forums, then I abandoned it.

God no.

On top of being a gear grind  monster mash, it lacks basic features I expect out of a Star Wars title, no race selection, no  crafting or olive branch to sandbox elements, no space exploration, FACTIONS are totally out of place especially for bounty hunter and smuggler types an optional pve joinable factions would have been better for those WANTING to join the republic/empire. It is too much like a fantasy wow clone and not enough like a sci fi game it totally lacks the Space Opera features any sci fi enthusiest would want or demand.

GW2, Fallen Earth,  I like a more organic approach to my mmorpgs, or at least something out of the box, my past games have been UO, Ryzom, Spellborn, EVE, Shadowbane.

I am fascinated that this forum for such an obviously bad game is coddled by this site as the second coming of Christ, the game has already failed and it gets heavier forum moderation than GW2, which is by and large ignored and not subject to the "increased moderation" this particular forum is privy to. The total disconnect from reality is what interests me, not only from the players and posters, but  the interest you yourself  a supposedly unbiased moderator and this site in general have showed towards the game. Considering you are the head mod on this SITE that pretty well confirms my suspicions on the lack of honest critique for this game. I forgot what was the rating this site gave SWTOR? a 9 or a 9.5, thats unreal.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Yes, followed it from late 2008, was a huge KOTOR fan and was very much looking forward to playing an MMO based in that timeline. 

Yes.

Haven't finished playing through all the storylines yet. I log in, mess around on alts, and run Ops with my guild once or twice a week on one of my 50s. They're still active so there's always stuff to do. Group Finder has made levelling more interesting. I'm also looking forward to the HK-51 companion, and I had fun with the world event once the zerg rush died down. Because of work, and life (and stuff) I play maybe 3 days a week 5-6 hours at a session, so far from hardcore. 

n/a

This one, as above. I've pre-ordered GW2 months back, so I'll be playing that alongside this for a bit. 

I don't really do subforums, I use the recent forum posts feature and respond to whatever is on that page, mostly. Replied to this thread on the TSW forum from there, then I came here out of curiosity to see if there was one one SWTOR too. I don't post as much as I used to anymore, but I chip in here and there if something interests me enough. 

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Bought not only 1 but 2 of the $150 boxes, (wife and I).  Wife played SWG for 4 years, I played for 8.

No.

Way to linear.  This is the devs game, not mine  No customization (my ship and toon looked exactly the same as everyone else).  Every thing is on rails.  From questing on this world to questing on that world to end game content (level quests to dailys to this HM flashpoint to that HM flashpoint to this OP to that OP to this HM).  No real reason for PVP.  The engine could not keep up with the game.  A complete and utter "clone of WoW" only not as much of it and didn't work as well.  My entire guild left, rather quickly I might add.  There was no "world" to live in, you played in TOR not "lived in the world" like SWG.

STO.  Even with all it faults (and there are many) there is still more freedom, better engine (and that's certainly saying something as I'm no fan of the Cryptic engine), and better gameplay over there v. SW:TOR.

Interested if this finaly puts an end to the "WoW clones" via AAA developers so that gaming cos. can get back to at least a bit of creativity. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Not particularly.  Partially because it's EA, and partially because there wasn't any real reason to be interested in it.

Do you currently play this game?:  No.

If no, please explain why:  Because it's a mostly combat game where hardly anyone cares to defend the combat as being anything better than mediocre.  And EA manages to always make things worse than you'd expect.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Uncharted Waters Online, because I like the adventuring system.  Champions Online because I'm waiting for UWO to raise the level cap, which will fix quite a few broken things.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I replied to an analogous thread in a couple other sub-forums, and decided to check this one to see if it had a similar thread to reply to, in order to throw off your data.
  • SirenRoseSirenRose Member UncommonPosts: 28

I was mildly interested because it was Star Wars, but wanted to see the game for myself before buying it.  When my brother bought the collector's edition for my husband for Christmas, I watched my husband play and it looked amazing so I quickly got the game for myself after that.

No

After playing the game nearly every day for a couple of months, I found I needed a break after a while, and could not afford to continue the subscription at the time anyways.  I enjoyed the game very much while I played it, and do still get the urge to reactivate my subscription to play again.  However, I find myself interested in other games at the moment, and do not want to reactivate my account for SWTOR unless I think I will have the time to enjoy it.

I am not currently playing any MMO at the moment, but plan to start Guild Wars 2 after the next paycheck.

I lurk more than I post.  However I do tend to post in game subforums for the games that I play, like, or have played before.

Playing: None
    Have Played: City of Heroes, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Fallen Earth, Diablo 3, DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars The Old Republic

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Hey guys,

Yes, it's Star Wars. I've been waiting for another Star Wars MMO since they ruined SWG.

No.

The end game is awful.

The last time I mentioned the MMO I'm currently playing I got a nasty warning message, so I'm not saying, you wont let me.

I saw this post on the front page of the website, I don't frequent this subforum or any forums at all.

Your welcome.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

No I was not intrested in the game before it was released because everything I read about it didn't feel MMORPG to me personaly.

Actually yes I've been playing almost 2 months of and on.

The game went F2P till level 15 and thought I should check the game and even though my original thought of it not feeling like a MMORPG hasn't changed even though I am enjoying the "game" which still doesn't feel like  MMORPG cause I have very different expectations when it comes to playing a MMORPG, but it's  fun game never the less.

Apart from SW-tOR none, but most likely will get GW2 some day. And keeping a eye out at http://www.therepopulation.com/

To share my own opinion read other opinions.

• Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

yes because it was star wars and i had just played the kotor series shortly before it was announced

because i enjoy it. does it have its issues? absolutletly.  But i still have fun and thats all that matters to me

SWTOR and GW2. SWTOR already stated. GW2 because i wanted to see what all the hype was about and because it wouldnt cost an addtional sub fee. i find it fun for the most part. i mostly enjoy doing exploration in it.

i used to post very frequent in hopes of helping people find info on the game prior to launch. however between less of a need for info to be provided after launch and how toxic this place seemed to become(and not just in this sub-forum), i have not posted much anywhere on the forum

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Yes because I love Star Wars and Bioware had a great reputation based on KOTR etc.

No.

It was fun for 3 months but then the PvE content got repetitive playing through the same planets with the same side quests even on different classes. The PvP was never great and got worse as population dropped leading to long queues. When you finally got a warzone to pop, you'd often only find teams with uneven sides resulting in a lopsided victory. And I couldn't stand to play any more Huttball. Ugh.

Guild Wars 2 because it's new, it doesn't have a monthly sub, it has 3 sided end game PvP that is somewhat similar to DAOC, and it doesn't have the standard end game gear progression grind.

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I saw this topic pop up on the MMORPG.com front page and was curious enough to take a look and respond.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• zeus3715zeus3715 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Do you currently play this game?: No, but did for a long while.

If no, please explain why: The time it takes to put out new content and the lack of developer presence in addressing issues and giving out useful information is not good(bad). All the FAQ's and community questions they choose to answer are side questions that don't address major issues to the game.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?
    : GW2,TSW and Planetside 2. I feel that GW2 offers a ton of PVP in the form of SPVP and WVW which offer me a good amount of PVP in forms of both quick fix and long term competition. TSW because its skill system and deck builder are interesting and innovative ideas that I haven't seen really ever, kinda like a more free option of SWG's skill system or GW1's skill system. And lastly, Planetside 2. Because who doesn't want to blow shit up and shoot Vanu?

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I'm not a forum person, I'd rather spend my time gaming or getting ahead in my studies. I just checkup on this site everyday as if I was checking the morning news. Just check my join date and post count and there ya go.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

Yes, very.  I've loved the early BioWare games since the first time I sat down with them a decade ago.  Those games helped shape my expectations about what an RPG should and could be.  While I had been turned off by some of the interaction I had with BioWare personel during DA:O's development and had stayed away from the DA and ME titles, I had also been a huge fan of both KotOR games and longed for a KotOR 3 to bring the threads of that story to a conclusion.  TOR and its associated out-of-game material were sold to me as KotOR 3 through (whatever), so obviously I was interested.  Finally, I have been a fan of the Star Wars setting literally since I can remember, going back to the days of the original trilogy.  A Star Wars MMO was an opportunity to continue "living" Star Wars when the movies that served as ts foundation were no longer being made.

No.  I stopped playing in March.

N/A

Georg Zoeller's trolling of fans on the official forum was the last straw that prompted me to cancel my subscription.  Even before that, however, I had a number of issues with the game that made it clear it was not the game I would be spending the next five years with.

I think that in fitting Star Wars to their story-based RPG model with basic MMO gameplay (it felt like WoW stripped of all the improvements made over the yeras), BioWare horrendously underutilized the Star Wars setting.  I had played WoW for 3 years.  I was hoping for more than a Star Wars reskin of a typical fantasy MMO.

I felt the game design was sterile and lacked imagination in world design and questing.  I had leveled serveral different characters and found the experience to be extremely repetitive to the point of irritation.  For me, the game did not offer the range of compelling gameplay options to hold my interest over multiple toons over more than a couple months of gameplay.

Currently my time is being spent on GW2.  I have also played TSW and GW1 in the last month.

Gaming is not my entire life, but it is still a part of who I am just like my job and my interest in sports.  I had a personal emotional investment in the success of the game.  I wanted it to be the game I made my MMO "home" for the next five years.  I remain frustrated that TOR turned out not to be that game, and while I try to avoid being a "hater" I feel better occasionally talking out those frustrations than harbor resentment silently.

I also tend to resent the deification of people (or companies) in this case, and things (TOR in this case) that I consider flawed.  I believe that holding something up as a supposedly positive example encourages immitation, and I don't believe the current BioWare or TOR are things I want to see immitated elsewhere in the industry.  By expressing that opinion, I hope to help shape, in some small way, gaming in a way that will yield products in the future that I will enjoy.

Finally, I also harbor resentment toward both BioWare employees and the group of fans that attacked and insulted me and/or others when we offered advice on what we thought would make TOR better or explained why we thought a particular direction was a bad one.  There is always a certain satisfaction in being able to say 'I told you so' after having to simply "eat" repeated insults for several years during the game's development.  I didn't want the game to fail.  I wanted a game that they as well as myself would enjoy.  Instead , even when I supported the game I was treated like I was on a mission to ruin TOR and BioWare.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Were you interested in this game before it came out?  yes  Why? because it is Star Wars... duh!  Why not?:

Do you currently play this game?: yes

If yes, please explain why: i like the different classes.  i like the guild i am in.  it is a VERY social mmo because of the Heroic Quests and the community seems more mature.  i like the whole campanion idea.  i have had a blast in the pvp warzones even though i am not that good at pvp.  i think it is fun to play pvp with level 10 to 49 playing together scaled.  the level 50 is hard at first but, it gets easier with the gear you earn.  my level 50 has had fun raiding with the guild.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: i am currently only playing swtor.  i actually have a lot of fun playing it and i like the current community of players.  our guild is HUGE with ~ 500 members and they are all VERY active.  swtor is a very stable game - i never have any problems or glitches and customer service and support is very fast and helpful.  they even refund my Commendations when i flake and buy the wrong gear  :).  plus, the subscription is worth it because it keeps their staff dedicated to writing new content, updates and patches. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? swtor fan.

• Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes, it's Star Wars, and made by Bioware, and based on KotOR

Yes

I still like the story, the gameplay, it's fun, I'm looking forward to playing more. Still have a friend or two who play also.

SWTOR, Secret World (not actively)

I look at this site often, but only came to post here today as it was a quesiton I thought I couldn't answer on the official forums

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Was i interested in the game before  

yes very much so as its star wars, 

Do i still play it , 

Yes and im gonna stay subbed to it 

Why  because its fun, I know thats cliche to some but all i require in my mmo's are that i enjoy playing them, I dont need them to be punishing or to be harcore or any of that, 

I play wow and tor, and i have tried other theme park mmo's I have played wow for over 6 yrs and still have a blast in it, Ill admit are some weeks i dont play wow and some weeks i dont play tor but i usually play both of them  in a given week.

All i want from an mmo is to enjoy the experiance and to have fun, I do that in both wow and tor,