Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you think you'll be playing GW2?

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

For me it all depends on friends/guildies and how long they play.

The social aspect = longevity for me.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

GW1 and GW2 were never meant to be played in exclusion of other games. The payment model of GW1  was specifically designed so that you can buy it and play it alongside other games that you own. This game follows the same concept. This whole pissing contest where haters and fanboys throw BS predictions around is as pointless as it is immature. It's a game, not a lifestyle choice. 

Whether you play it for a month, a week, a year or forever just be damned sure you're having fun. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• TacoShankTacoShank Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Ikeda

The thing about this game is the same as GW1 (kinda).  I'll play it actively probably for about 6 months.  Then I'll take a break and go elsewhere.  When I get bored with elsewhere I'll log into GW2 and play that until something else catches my fancy.

Burnout it very typical in games lately, ESPECIALLY MMO's.  So when the MMO is B2P, I can go back to it whenever I damned well feel like.

Yeah I agree, and the B2P aspect of GW2 makes the future so unpredictable. If players aren't having to justify paying subscription, perhaps they will be more prone to hopping back into the game now and again. We'll have to see how this affects the real-deal over time.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    I put "one year". That is definatelly. However will i continue after that, it all depends on content they'll be adding ( i mean basically on "free" updates, for they stated that we can expect "free" updates as we do with every other regular MMO. That PLUS expansion packs)

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by tank017

several years lol....

thats laughable.

Not really. A lot of people have been playing GW1 for several years and that game doesn't have the variety of content and had a much smaller team of developers working on it. I don't see why it's "laughable" to suggest that people might actually play this game for years as well.

For myself, I'll probably end up playing this as my only MMORPG for a good while. Planetside 2 and The Repopulation also look interesting, but besides those games, GW2 seems to be the best option at this point to me. We'll see, but I could definitely see myself playing this for years to come. Just like I played WoW and EVE for years.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I played DAOC on and off (mostly on :-) ) for 10 years.  I expect to be in this world for a very long time.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    As I was not in Beta I need to play it before I answer the question... and this is always assuming I buy it in the first place. The only thing I like so far is no sub, I'm tired of paying a sub and getting nothing out of it.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Probably a month or 2 just like any other themepark
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by BadSpock

For me it all depends on friends/guildies and how long they play.

The social aspect = longevity for me.

I suspect most of the MMO crowd would be downright shocked, looking around the only game that ever held my patronage for a decade.  But yas, several others lasted multipe years, and the games with longest durations always had the strongest social connections.

(Still--undoubtedly, not the same magic bullet for everyone, YMWV).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Probably a month or 2 just like any other themepark

Sounds about right.

The only thing I worry about is what kind of playerbase this game will have since it's B2P and easily acceptable to folks with limited income. But on that note, I look forward to playing with my buddies from work for a month or 2.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

I Expect to play the game for several months like i did with the first title :)

If the game can interest me for 3 months i consider the game a succes.

If the game can interest me for several years like WoW once did ill die a happy man :)

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I voted for the hyperbolic "Forever".  I still play GW1 on a fairly regular basis and that's been over 6 years now.  GW2 is way more fun for me than even GW1 is and I see some great potential for longevity - especially as expansions come out.  So, while I may not play it until I die (unless said death is sooner than I think!), I will probably be playing even after GW3 comes out, just like I'll occasionally play GW1 after GW2 comes out.  :)

It will be my main, I'm sure for a long time, possibly years like GW1 was. Then I'll still probably play regularly even if other games catch my attention.  Being B2P allows for that luxury.

Of course, as a human being, I reserve my right to change my mind at any time due to changing circumstances.

And finally, forever is only until Dec. 21, 2012 according to some people and I will definitely be playing for that long!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I'm as big of a Guild Wars 2 there is and I didn't click "forever".  No game lasts forever.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

At least a few months.

Eventually fighing over the same static crap over and over will get old.

lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Not at all. Did not like the original and i have my fill of fantasy games from other places.

That being said it looks like it will be a nice game and i hope people will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

This have been a good conversation

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    From what is have seen and what I assume (which is all we have left) I would say a year with the current content, maybe more with alts. At that point it's up to ANet and what they provide over time. I will explore everything a game has to offer if it's worth exploring.

I think the main points of an MMO, PvE & PvP, are done extremely well and are designed to be done for a long time. Crafting from a method standpoint is not very deep but how you discover new recipes, the amount of them plus the fact you can cap every trade is deep and adds to longevity.

I think GW2s longevity in general will depend on each individual and what they want to do. Those only interested in PvP for example will not have as many options in front of them though they may still play for a long time. Amount of content generated aside the systems that GW2 has are made for maximum longevity. From there it's up to the players.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Until GW3.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

/hipsterglasses
    I'll play it begrudgingly but promptly stop as soon as I find myself having any sort of fun.
    *spoiler alert: The download page is an absolute blast!

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Ohhh until around the time of Guild Wars 3

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

since I already bought the game, on and off whenever i feel like it.

Will most likely be the only game I play for the first month, then slowly to other games as they are released, then back and forth since there is no Sub, so it will always be a game on my desktop ready for log in.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    probably a month or two, but i'm sure i will enjoy that period and hop back later.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    several months.... maybe a year till I get bored with it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

To me, GW2 today does for a WoW-esque genre what WoW did for an EQ-esque genre in 2004.  I fully expect to play GW2 in the same capacity I played WoW, which was for about 6 years with several breaks in between.  At that point I'll probably get burnt out on GW2-esque style gameplay and eagerly await the next genre evolving title.  

But who knows?  My stay in Tyria could last longer, could last shorter.  

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    To be honest I've had my moneys worth in the BW's everything from Day 1 is a bonus ...I'll play this game untill another great game comes out and I'm afraid that maybe well in the future
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Several years so long as they keep the content coming.  People played GW1 for years and to me it wasn't half as engaging or fun as GW2.  I don't need a carrot on a stick to have fun with my friends.