Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: David Reid Speaks Out

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DUST 514 is a game that many players have been eagerly watching as it approaches its release. We had the chance to speak with David Reid about DUST 514 and about its unique integration with EVE Online. Check it out!

We got the chance to talk to CCP’s David Reid about DUST 514 and the final few weeks of development and testing before launch. David was eager to talk a lot about the game, but we focused on a few topics that really impacted the EVE community, namely, the integration between EVE and DUST. CCP is taking some major steps to link the two games and are truly breaking new ground.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's DUST 514: David Reid Speaks Out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

So.. yeah.

Playstation 3.

Never can stop asking that question.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    So what is the deal with this anyways? There is like no hype whatsoever for this game. A bit surprising considering the notoriety of Eve at this point.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    So what is the deal with this anyways? There is like no hype whatsoever for this game. A bit surprising considering the notoriety of Eve at this point.

PS3 (targeted playerbase for DUST 514) users don't care about Eve Online and Eve Online players don't care about DUST 514 because it's on PS3.

I can never quite wrap my mind around the choice of PS3.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

This is awesome.  Bridging the console with the PC gamer is on a level of awesome few ever achieve.  This is what you call progress.

Really liked hearing that PS3 players will be able to use their keyboard/mouse.  I use my PS3 as a bluray player and can't play shooters on the controllers.  This is good news indeed!

• DirtyLaryDirtyLary Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Crazy how the beta looks nothing like that. It's a low res slide show of a mess right now.
  • Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

The lack of hype is because the game is a PS3 exclusive.  Not many PS3 players.  Upset PC gamers.  Doesn't add up in their favor for a large fanbase.  It's a good game... just it needed to be a PC title.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

Originally posted by Bainwalker

The lack of hype is because the game is a PS3 exclusive.  Not many PS3 players.  Upset PC gamers.  Doesn't add up in their favor for a large fanbase.  It's a good game... just it needed to be a PC title.  

They are adding a new fanbase.  You just don't get it.  Having it on the PC will take away players from EVE.  Having it on the console adds a whole new playerbase & adds depth to EVE, an already in-depth game. 

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679
    Why Not just add the ground game as part of EVE? make dust 514 a expansion and allow EVE players to finally get a true avatar to control instead of spending life as a player vessel?

Originally posted by Badaboom

They are adding a new fanbase.  You just don't get it.  Having it on the PC will take away players from EVE.  Having it on the console adds a whole new playerbase & adds depth to EVE, an already in-depth game. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see to find out who "didn't get it" when looking back on this pioneering venture on the part of CCP.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I disagree. I don't think having it as a PC title would remove players from EVE. It's a completely different genre, MMO versus FPS. They're not competing games, they're complimentary.

If anything, they should have released the game cross platform to capture a much wider audience

Originally posted by rygard49

I disagree. I don't think having it as a PC title would remove players from EVE. It's a completely different genre, MMO versus FPS. They're not competing games, they're complimentary.

If anything, they should have released the game cross platform to capture a much wider audience

I think an analogy is in order.  What is better:

Eve is an Ice Cream Shop.  Should they open up a new store right accross the street or should they open a new store in a different city and and a few new flavours to their existing store?

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

One for the pit of doom i think, At least Cross platform Xbox as well as PS3, Considering M$ now hold over 35% of the market share of console gaming while Sony are trailing behind with 17%, I fail to see the logic in not bringing to both platforms, Obvious deals where in place, but still why set up for a fail?!. 

My 2 cents :)

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

@Denambren,  The real reason is because most of peoples ps3's just collect dust like mine literally. Also FPS fans don't come to mmorpg to hype games.  They talk about other peoples moms on xbox live or ps3 lol. 

All the beta keys were all gone pretty quickly from the psscene news. I really couldn't understand why they wanted somone to beat an overhead strategy to play a rtfps but oh well.

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

I think an analogy is in order.  What is better:

Eve is an Ice Cream Shop.  Should they open up a new store right accross the street or should they open a new store in a different city and and a few new flavours to their existing store?

When your new store is a Pizza Place, you can open it wherever you like and it won't impact your Ice Cream Shop. It might even benefit from it.

As far as the PS3 exclusive, I believe it's because they couldn't (or wouldn't) work around Xbox Live.

If I were to make a prediction, I'd say we'll be seeing talk of a PC port within the first year of operation. Within 3 years Dust will be bundled with the Eve client.

The PS3 audience is too small to support it. They're not even doing a box release for it as far as I know. We'll see Dust 514 on the PC soon enough as the console players move on to the newest CoD or whatever.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yeah I shake my head at the PS3 decision, BUT Microsoft games division played the asshat here.  They insisted on several rules that CCP could not abide by to get it on Live so the real jerk here is Microsoft.  I am certainly not going to buy a PS3 for one game and it is a given fact that the next iteration of the PS3 will be far behind the other consoles.  

Personally I don't see it affecting my gameplay in Eve at all.

• AlundilAlundil Member UncommonPosts: 10

I believe that this will be good for EVE and PS3 FPS scene. It's, hype-notwithstanding, the first of its kind.

As an EVE player - I wish it would've been on PC as well. But I can, to a degree, understand why it's not (while hoping it'll make it to PC at some point).

As for why PS3 and not Xbox...as far as I know that boiled down to what level of autonomy CCP could get across PSN vs XBL (a lot or none respectively).

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Denambren

So.. yeah.

Playstation 3.

Never can stop asking that question.

and the answer has been given many times.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

Originally posted by Denambren

PS3 (targeted playerbase for DUST 514) users don't care about Eve Online and Eve Online players don't care about DUST 514 because it's on PS3.

I can never quite wrap my mind around the choice of PS3.

once again, if you don't know the answer to this, then you obvisouly don't pay that much attention to Eve Online. It has already been answered so many times. To also say that EO players don't care about D514 is wrong as I know many that are waiting for it that either already have a PS3 or plan on buying one if they haven't already. Some of my corp mates are in beta as well.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

Originally posted by jeremyjodes
    Why Not just add the ground game as part of EVE? make dust 514 a expansion and allow EVE players to finally get a true avatar to control instead of spending life as a player vessel?

The lore of the game is that these ground troops have a new tech / implant system. Pod pilots, capsuleers, must be in a pod hooked up with their implants to control their ship. Apparently you don't pay attention to Eve lore. You probably don't know about the Walking in Stations plans of CCP either for pod pilots.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• VolarinVolarin Member Posts: 38
    Dust is also an MMO rygard.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

DUST514 a PC game to be also released on PS3!

-wishful thinking.

DUST514 PS3 exclusive!

-reality.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    PS3 only still? K bye

Joined - July 2004

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

Looks like i made the right choice when i bought a PS3 instead of an XBOX.

I mean, with a gaming PC, the XBOX is pretty much useless, at least with my PS3 i have games like Uncharted, Infamous, Little Big planet, God of War, Demon's Souls, etc etc etc that i can't play on my PC.

And now an FPS in an MMORPG universe, nice, glad i can use a KB & Mouse.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Yes! Thank you! I can't see why this isn't the main arguement.. This is the only reason I don't play EvE anymore, is because I got tired of being a ship..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Dust 514 will be the failure point for CCP that destroys their reputation for success.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon