Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you think you'll be playing GW2?

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Raven

It is nothing to do with an option I didn't like, its your poll and you can do whatever you like, its just a shame that you are not gonna get any solid data as per your original premise, sorry if you wanted a pat on the back for a badly made poll :(

I think there is a very good discussion to be had still, just pointing out the obvious flaw. 

Forever: for·ev·er/f??rev?r/

Adverb: 1) For all future time; for always. 2) A very long time ( used hyperbolically ). 

If the 'forever' answer bothers you, you can either take it as 2 (A very long time, which in MMO terms would probably be about 5 years+), or you can simply completely discount it from the poll.  It's such a small answer that it's really hardly skewing the answers at all.  It'd be more of a problem if it was an appreciable percentage of the answers. :)  Sort of like discounting somebody who answers 'just show me the poll results'.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Forever. I plan playing this from the afterlife, baby.
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Simple answer: as long as I want. How can I know how long I'll be playing a game?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by seridan
    Simple answer: as long as I want. How can I know how long I'll be playing a game?

I actually set a figure of time before I buy a game, and I play it that long.  Sometimes it sucks because I'm really suffering after the first hour or so, and I set my number too high, and sometimes it sucks because I'm enjoying it a lot when my time finally runs out.

... but that's the hazards you have to take when you're determined to make important decisions with insufficient information.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

And the raging debate over 'forever' rolls on. No wonder we can't get things done as a global community....

In any event, back to the OP for me. I can't really say and it is a question which I have asked myself on more than one occasion of late.

On one hand, I have the 'general' plan to take a serious break from MMOs if none of the games I had slated for this year worked out for X number of months (the X value seemed to waffle a bit at times). On the other hand, while I have no serious upcoming gaming prospects (after GW2) I keep thinking that 'cherry high' will return again...and keep going back.

I know I'll play GW2 on and off for certain but as my 'main game'....? No idea. I HOPE for 6 months or more. I think that with the option to have a PvP and a PvE character (at least one of each, that is)  the game will offer 'breaks' for me that will extend the immediate enjoyment.

At this point I am 100% (well 99.9%) committed to a 100% completion bonus on at least one of my characters. All maps, all kills, all dungeons...you name it, I want it. And I know that will take a fair bit of time, even if one were to rip through to level 80 (which I do not intend to do...I will move steadily but want to see it all, so to speak).

If however after playing X weeks or months if it becomes 'same old, same old' and the PvP character doesn't offer the required respite. Who can say?

Time will tell is the best answer I can offer to the op though i truly wish I knew the actual answer myself.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    I hope, I can find a good guild, maybe with good old friends from other MMOs. GW2 is made for me: No monthly subscription, no item-grind, no need to play it every day.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

I picked several years because nothing lasts forever. It depends on the content and the community. I hope both are good enough to keep the game fun for a very long time. :)

• I picked "several years" but really it will be until something better comes along.  I can tell you this though, whatever MMORPG does pull me away from GW2 it will have to have:

1. Dynamic Events with no old-style, not-really-happening quests
    2. No GCD
    3. No "end game" gear grind just to keep me playing
    4. Cooperative (not competitive) PvE
    5. No subscription fee and if it does have a cash shop, nothing purchasable that directly increases character performance
    Standards have changed in the MMO world (for me) from now on.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I really don't know.

If the game is like my vision of what the game is, based on research and three beta events - then I'll probably play it for anything between a few days and a few months. I think the quality of the content and whether or not the "progression" aspects will suffice to grab me - are the primary factors here. If everything is top-notch and I manage to get hooked on my character and the flow of PvE - then I could be playing 2-3 months.

However, if I'm wrong about the game - and all the people who seem to think it's fantastic truly know something or understand something I don't - then I could obviously be playing it for 6+ months.

Very, very few games can keep me engaged for more than a year - even counting the time back with expansions, so I consider that highly unlikely.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    I'm hoping several years. GW1 has lasted 7+ years for me, I don't see why GW2 can't last at least a few years for me as well.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Many many years if they unleash expansions.

Guildwars 2 + Planetside 2 = at least 5 years of fun and god knows what shit will be released in the meantime and we pay for what we get :)

No more 8 months of paying a sub to a fail greedy company who makes broken promises <3

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Probably 3-6 months going by how long it usually takes me to get bored but with it not having a sub i'll likely go back to it frequently.

There are no other games coming out int he near future that i have interest in either so it looks like the next couple of years will be a repeat of the past few for me.

• thefang01thefang01 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    As long as it's fun. A few months probably. It might wedge in at place 2 between EQ2 and SWTOR in terms of total play time.
  • ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

It all depends on when I get my PS2 beta invite. If when I'm back from holidays there's still no PS2, and even though I'm sick to death of playing themepark MMOs, I'll surely give in and buy GW2 for the PvP.

BTW, question to all you GW2 experts out there: Is it possible to level and gear up doing PvP only? From level 1 to 80, without falling behind on gear, compared to players that are quest leveling?

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

For me i think i will play several months. I played most of the mmo's released after WoW and none had me playing more than 6 months. 

I actually loved Rift, but just got bored in the endgame. 

I really hope that GW2 can have me hanging around for years but i doubt it.  And it really doesn't matter, because there are other games to be played.  =)

• Originally posted by ThemePork

BTW, question to all you GW2 experts out there: Is it possible to level and gear up doing PvP only? From level 1 to 80, without falling behind on gear, compared to players that are quest leveling?

Theoretically yes, but it will probably be slower than PvE leveling.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would guess I'd play for a couple to three months. Without a subscription though, there's no particular reason to try and get through the content. Seems like it would be more interesting to try and explore everything, get all the unexplored vistas, etc.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Uh..as long as I'm having fun?

This isn't some kind of trick question, is it?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    I voted several months because all forms of play interest me. I want to Master PvE, WvWvW and specially sPvP so I think I'll be having fun and be entertained for a while plus I'm a casual player so I won't be finishing all content as fast as others. Eventually I might get bored of it or just don't want to login like other games, but maybe this time I won't, I know I'll get 3 months out of it for sure if the rest of the game is as good and fun, from there we'll see.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    delete 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    I will never play a grind for stats treadmill game again, so I hope gw2 will last a while
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

voted several months for active play

but i know ill be playing GW2 for years as a sidegame

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by TacoShank

Many people have been talking about how long they see themselves playing GW2 for, but I'm interested in getting some solid data on the subject. After being disappointed by so many MMOs, it seems like a lot of you are skeptic (and for good reason). So how long do you see yourself playing GW2 for based on your experiences in the beta weekends?

Personally I think I'll only be playing for a month or two, but that's simply because I never stick with anything for very long, even if I love it. However, I do think the energy coming from the community generally feels positive, and the game might have the power to keep people stuck in it for quite some time.

Nice poll OP.

34% plan to play several months or less.

66% plan to play more than a year.

so far.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

Don´t know how long I´ll play in once piece. But I know even if I get tired of it for a bit i can come back any time I want. So I`ll probably, even if I get sick of it after a while, come back for years to come.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

The thing about this game is the same as GW1 (kinda).  I'll play it actively probably for about 6 months.  Then I'll take a break and go elsewhere.  When I get bored with elsewhere I'll log into GW2 and play that until something else catches my fancy.

Burnout it very typical in games lately, ESPECIALLY MMO's.  So when the MMO is B2P, I can go back to it whenever I damned well feel like.