Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you think you'll be playing GW2?

TacoShankTacoShank Member UncommonPosts: 23

Many people have been talking about how long they see themselves playing GW2 for, but I'm interested in getting some solid data on the subject. After being disappointed by so many MMOs, it seems like a lot of you are skeptic (and for good reason). So how long do you see yourself playing GW2 for based on your experiences in the beta weekends?

Personally I think I'll only be playing for a month or two, but that's simply because I never stick with anything for very long, even if I love it. However, I do think the energy coming from the community generally feels positive, and the game might have the power to keep people stuck in it for quite some time.

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Hopefully forever. It has all the PvP I have been hoping for for years
  • NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Based on how I played the original, I'm expecting three, four years 'full time', depending on how they release new content. Then on and off for the next three years or so, finally letting the game go four or five years after the last expansion, after having done everything there is to do.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    I have no problem with playing a game for several years, my main problem is that with a sub model I'm paying for all the breaks in between the playing. :D
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Anything over a couple of months is cream for me. I am going to try to approach it more casually, no sub might help that. I know a sub only costs as much as a couple of beers but it still encourages one to rush. I am hoping that WvW will lengthen things and might even do som sPvP as long as its not too L337.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105
    I answered several months, based on that i'll play it for about 3 months extensively, followed by a month or so hiatus, after which i expect to go into casual mode and play more irregular, but i'll definately keep coming back for at least a year, and possibly whenever a major update / expansion arrives
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Forever is such a silly option to put in, several years I think is the hard cap even to the most die hard fans, given the track record of EVERY mmorpg and game ever released, I doubt the longevity for anyone  playing  any game is beyond 10-15 years ( and that is really pushing it ), not only that but the company would release another product that you would probably play. Also factoring technological advancements etc.. there is bound to be something that offers a better experience or is more innovative.

Shame really, its actually a decent poll too bad it will be skewed by a pretty silly and unrealistic option, which will only be chosen out of hope and appreciation for the game instead of actual analysis of the longevity you think it might have.

For me I expect a year at least, then it will be a matter of content keeping me entertained.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Raven

Forever is such a silly option to put in, several years I think is the hard cap even to the most die hard fans, given the track record of EVERY mmorpg and game ever released, I doubt the longevity for anyone  playing  any game is beyond 10-15 years ( and that is really pushing it ), not only that but the company would release another product that you would probably play. Also factoring technological advancements etc.. there is bound to be something that offers a better experience or is more innovative.

Shame really, its actually a decent poll too bad it will be skewed by a pretty silly and unrealistic option, which will only be chosen out of hope and appreciation for the game instead of actual analysis of the longevity you think it might have.

For me I expect a year at least, then it will be a matter of content keeping me entertained.

Well people who select that option, like me, probably just thinks "Hopefully we'll play it the next 7-8 years... Until GW3 shows up"

• TacoShankTacoShank Member UncommonPosts: 23

Is this sarcasm? I'm not the census bureau, that option is supossed to be for kicks/fun. O.o

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

several years lol....

thats laughable.

Originally posted by TacoShank

Is this sarcasm? I'm not the census bureau, that option is supossed to be for kicks/fun. O.o

" Many people have been talking about how long they see themselves playing GW2 for, but I'm interested in getting some solid data on the subject."

Right. And everything on this forums is for "fun" to some extent, I dont expect anyone is going to find the cure for cancer anytime soon by posting here, that doesnt excuse you from trying to start a discussion with a poll that has what I believe to be a major flaw to begin with. Otherwise we might as well start discussing about pink unicorns, since its just for fun.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Meowhead
    I have no problem with playing a game for several years, my main problem is that with a sub model I'm paying for all the breaks in between the playing. :D

Ive never understood this. I have never found a game where paying less than $15 a month was as good an experience as paying $15 a month. There are a handful of f2p titles that are great for a few weeks .. but without bags or content purchases or any number of other nickle and dime techniques .. they aren't nearly as fun. Are there really that many more people who feel this way? I guess there are. I just doubt ill ever be one.

That being said, I put 1 year. Really though it's impossible to know. The number of mmoers I find myself able to enjoy playing with has diminished so much over the years that I might not play that long, simply because I play mmos because of the social interaction that they provide. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to play for this reason anymore. So it really depends on whether I find people to play with.

As such, it depends largely on the overall playerbase as well. The main reason I stopped playing Rift is because 80 of the 100 people in the guild I was in didn't play for more than 2 months. I found another guild shortly after the first desolved, but that one didn't last long either.

Unfortunately, my enjoyment of the mmo genre depends laregely on the other people who play them. The ridiculous influx of guild, and then server, and now game hoppers these new bread of developers have cultivated makes that pretty hard.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• TacoShankTacoShank Member UncommonPosts: 23

" Many people have been talking about how long they see themselves playing GW2 for, but I'm interested in getting some solid data on the subject."

Right.

Haha alright man you got me, I'm so sorry for ruining the entire poll because I included an option you didn't like.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    I honestly see very little staying power with the game long-term, I genuinely hope I'm proven wrong though.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Didn't vote. I think this is the perfect game for playing a while, then stop, then play a while, stop again, etc.

If the g ame is good I will still be playing it in five years. If it isn't I wont.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I Dont think im going to buy it right away - if at all...

But I believe if I did it would only have the staying power of a couple of weeks for me personally.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Too many variables. Currently we don't have any details on how they will follow up several months down the line, what new content/mechanics can be introduced trhough expansions, etc. 

Personally I'm hoping it  will entertain me for well over a year. How long exactly depends on so many things there is no way I can tell now. The fact it doesn't require subscription fee makes it an option for as long as the servers will work tho, so yeah, might still play it 5 years down the road. 

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Hoping 7 years like GW 1... or forever ! Oh I mean till Guild Wars 3 will be coming out ;D!
    Originally posted by azmundai

Ive never understood this. I have never found a game where paying less than $15 a month was as good an experience as paying $15 a month. There are a handful of f2p titles that are great for a few weeks .. but without bags or content purchases or any number of other nickle and dime techniques .. they aren't nearly as fun. Are there really that many more people who feel this way? I guess there are. I just doubt ill ever be one.

I've played a subscription game for over a year (CoH), but most subscription games I have played 6 months or less.  It's because I cancel because I see myself playing them games less... and I WANT to play them again later, but I don't feel like renewing a sub for what might simply be a passing fancy.

On the other hand, games like Warcraft 3, Starcraft, PSO, GW1, Battlefield 2 and Halo, while not MMORPGs, have managed to entertain me for over a year, simply because I can come back to them when I want to.

I will play a game for a while, then take a break, but it's hard to come back to a game.

Also, anybody who suggests '15 dollars a month is nothing' isn't taking into account that if I was still paying all the subs for games I feel like playing sometimes that have subs, I'd be spending over 150 a month at times.  That's a bit rough, especially when it might only be for a weekend or a few days.  I want to go back to games!  Things like Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot... heck, even WoW.  ... but I don't want to pay 15 dollars a month as a 'reserve' fee for if I feel like playing them that month. :)

(edit:  I've put over a thousand hours in GW1, for example, but I doubt I could have managed that with a subscription fee, because there will simply be a month where I'm busy or something and will cancel my fee, and I've only ever restarted a sub once in my life.)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Definitely at least a year. If they expand the game in a satisfactory fashion, then several years. Not forever, because I'm guessing we'll see GW3 sometime around 2019. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

+1 forever vote.

my actual answer would be "between 1 month and 50 years"  but there was no such option for those of us who have no clue how long we will play the game.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by azmundai Ive never understood this. I have never found a game where paying less than $15 a month was as good an experience as paying $15 a month. There are a handful of f2p titles that are great for a few weeks .. but without bags or content purchases or any number of other nickle and dime techniques .. they aren't nearly as fun. Are there really that many more people who feel this way? I guess there are. I just doubt ill ever be one.
     I've played a subscription game for over a year (CoH), but most subscription games I have played 6 months or less.  It's because I cancel because I see myself playing them games less... and I WANT to play them again later, but I don't feel like renewing a sub for what might simply be a passing fancy.

On the other hand, games like Warcraft 3, Starcraft, PSO, GW1, Battlefield 2 and Halo, while not MMORPGs, have managed to entertain me for over a year, simply because I can come back to them when I want to.

I will play a game for a while, then take a break, but it's hard to come back to a game.

Also, anybody who suggests '15 dollars a month is nothing' isn't taking into account that if I was still paying all the subs for games I feel like playing sometimes that have subs, I'd be spending over 150 a month at times.  That's a bit rough, especially when it might only be for a weekend or a few days.  I want to go back to games!  Things like Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot... heck, even WoW.  ... but I don't want to pay 15 dollars a month as a 'reserve' fee for if I feel like playing them that month. :)

You can always stop your subscription then restart it later. I realize you may want to just play for a few days .. I guess I just wish there were as many sub games as there were free games. I don't really have a problem with people who want to play in a CS game I just dont want to :)

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

You can always stop your subscription then restart it later. I realize you may want to just play for a few days .. I guess I just wish there were as many sub games as there were free games. I don't really have a problem with people who want to play in a CS game I just dont want to :)

I'm not playing long term in cash shop games either. :D  Though, I'm the sort where if I play it enough, I'll usually buy some sort of something, just to support the game.

You'll notice the games I've played a lot are all B2P model games (The standard video game pricing model, really).

Also, you responded before my edit where I mentioned I've only ever restarted a sub once.  The way I look at it is, if I've already quit once, what if I start up and only end up playing 2 days or something?  I'll feel dumb.  So I don't restart the subs (Usually).

Wait, no, I restarted twice, I guess.  Once was FFXI, the other was City of Heroes, and then I restarted when City of Villains came out (That's a little different though, since City of Villains was practically a second game).

I like buying and owning a game, and playing it when I want, because I want to, not because I feel pressured to get my 15 dollar's worth out of it for that month.  :)

Personal preference, of course, but I'm not the only person thinking that way.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I voted for "several months", but I'll probably be playing it on and off for years and come back every time there's an expansion.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by azmundai Ive never understood this. I have never found a game where paying less than $15 a month was as good an experience as paying $15 a month. There are a handful of f2p titles that are great for a few weeks .. but without bags or content purchases or any number of other nickle and dime techniques .. they aren't nearly as fun. Are there really that many more people who feel this way? I guess there are. I just doubt ill ever be one.

I kinda agree with Meowhead, there's a bunch of sub based mmorpgs that I'd like to play, but only a couple of days a week, and I'm not paying the same amount of money like those who play everyday, and definately not for several games at the same time. I dont have a problem with paying, just with the outdated monthly system. As soon as sub based games start using daily system instead monthly, which automatically detects days I've played and then calculates the final fee of a month based on that, I will subscribe to a lot more games.

The ideal situation is when there's good enough game so I dont need secondary games, at the end of the day I dont care if a game has sub or not if it's great, I dont play other games when this one is better. However, in a situation like now in the mmorpg market, there's only mediocre games, and I'd play several of them in turns, but the subscription model forces me to choose only one, but none of them are good enough to just stick with one.

@OP, cant answer since I have no idea at this point. Hopefully for years, but usually I play "modern mmorpgs" for just about a week or two, enough time to learn that once again the devs didnt get it. Lets hope GW2 breaks that pattern finally.

Right.

Haha alright man you got me, I'm so sorry for ruining the entire poll because I included an option you didn't like.

It is nothing to do with an option I didn't like, its your poll and you can do whatever you like, its just a shame that you are not gonna get any solid data as per your original premise, sorry if you wanted a pat on the back for a badly made poll :(

I think there is a very good discussion to be had still, just pointing out the obvious flaw. 

Forever: for·ev·er/f??rev?r/

Adverb: 1) For all future time; for always. 2) A very long time ( used hyperbolically ).