Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of RMAH's

1235»

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Diablo 3's problem wasn't the RMAH.

You could ignore it.

The problem is they built the game around the RMAH.

Always online, less drops, nerfing of everything, no mods.

I think that's just how they designed the game in general and it would be the same even without the RMAH.

Diablo was made to be replayed pretty infinitely. Think of D2, good/rare gear was also hard to find in that and it didn't have an RMAH.

Also, Pretty much everything I've seen on the RMAH I've seen on the GAH, maybe for a ridiculous amount of gold, but it's still there. Give it more than a couple months and as awesome gear becomes more common, the prices will drop significantly.

If Blizzard really wanted to be greedy they would have made all gear become soulbound, which would inflate the price of that godly gear even more.

I havn't played d2 forever.  But in d2 it's alot easier to get good gear if I remember correct.  Unless they changed it.

By just playing through my first character and with 10 hours of farming, I could already max out my second character.  I'm not sure if it's changed after.  I was second guy to reach max level in lord of destruction on hardcore useast, and quit not long after. 

In d3, it's completely different.  It's much harder to get good gear.

I'm not sure the souldbound argument will do anything.  First of all, by making gear not soulbound, there are more items in circulation.  So theoretically, an item can be sold multiple times, that'll arguably generate more profit for Blizzard.  Second of all I think there are indeed talk of making new legendary items soulbound.  So I'm not sure where that's going.

The button line is game companies are evil.  In order to make more money, they'll make the game grindy as hell just so they can sell more in RMAH.  That's the problem.  Besides, nothing will sell on RMAH if it's easy to get.  Else it'll be spamed by farmers tring to rack up cash.

Items are more circulated to a degree. Real good items are kept by players for long periods of time, so it kinda is like soulbind. But by the time they get rid of the item it will probably sell for less than when they found it/bought it.

Blizzard is probably making a decent amount from RMAH, but it's doubtful it's anything close to a sub fee. $1+15% really isn't that much when max sale is $250 and items that expenisve rarely sell.

Overall player's make the most profit from the RMAH, so I don't see how it's really evil.

I already told you.  The game is grindy.  That's the problem.  And there's huge power gap between players.  I have 70k dps.  Maybe 100k if I switch to all dps gear.  Other people I know who spend on RMAH have 400k dps. 

So if I want to have as good gear as other people, I need to grind like 5000 hours, or spend 2000$ on RMAH.  Either way it's rediculous.  In order for me not be a slacker in group pve or pvp(in future patch), I need to either grind or spend real money.

The buttom line is I dont' want to be forced(or lured) to spend real cash.

Listen, I have no probelm with RMAH.  If it's not pay 2 win.  But obviously Diablo 3 is pay 2 win.  Or grind the hell to win.

I'm not sure why you bought the game to be honest. To say Diablo games are grindy is a severe under statement.

Grinding has been part of the Diablo series it's entire existance... and now you're complaining?

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

It's true.  You can grind the hell in diablo 2 too.  But that's not the point.

The point is in diablo 2, it's easy to gear up.  Good gear drops alot.  At least that's what I remember.  There's no huge power gap in diablo 2.  I already have near max gear "without grinding"

But in diablo 3.  People are hitting 4 times harder than me.  The gear gap between players are so huge. 

Don't see what the problem is. Diablo games are pretty much the definition of loot hunting. Seems like you don't like loot hunting. So I guess the game isn't your cup of tea.

Doesn't matter where your progress is. If you don't like loot hunting you shouldn't have bought the game. It was made known pre-release that gearing for Inferno would take a lengthy amount of time.

Imagine how boring it would be if every other drop was awesome... well when all the gear is awesome... none of it is.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    The absolute last thing I want, is to think that if I work a little harder at the game, I might be able to make a little bit of money. If I want to work, I can make a hell of a lot more than I can by playing a stupid game. Farming for a couple hours to make 10 bucks? no thank you. I have no interest to play a game that condone's this type of play.   Other people can go ahead and work in some game and pretend that they are winning the lottery, grats to them.

It's funny that you think people do nothing but care about the money and play purely for it. Maybe some players, but that's their choice. For many, making a little cash for playing a game is purely a bonus. Kinda like finding a 20 dollar bill on the street.

I don't get why that's so hard to understand for so many.

Yeah, grinding out some pretend crap to sell to someone,  good times.  I'm certain that all these chinese gold farmers are living the dream.  And sure, some people might think it's just a tip for playing a game, great stuff. There is no doubt, that the moment they see a kickback, they will start to think about the next kickback.  Soon enough these people, like any gambler, will be sucking face with the monitor trying to find their next score. It's gambling, don't fool yourself into thinking any different. You just won't be gambling money directly, just time, but that doesn't make it any better. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

The absolute last thing I want, is to think that if I work a little harder at the game, I might be able to make a little bit of money. If I want to work, I can make a hell of a lot more than I can by playing a stupid game. Farming for a couple hours to make 10 bucks? no thank you. I have no interest to play a game that condone's this type of play.   Other people can go ahead and work in some game and pretend that they are winning the lottery, grats to them.

It's funny that you think people do nothing but care about the money and play purely for it. Maybe some players, but that's their choice. For many, making a little cash for playing a game is purely a bonus. Kinda like finding a 20 dollar bill on the street.

Yeah, grinding out some pretend crap to sell to someone,  good times.  I'm certain that all these chinese gold farmers are living the dream.  And sure, some people might think it's just a tip for playing a game, great stuff. There is no doubt, that the moment they see a kickback, they will start to think about the next kickback.  Soon enough these people, like any gambler, will be sucking face with the monitor trying to find their next score. It's gambling, don't fool yourself into thinking any different. You just won't be gambling money directly, just time, but that doesn't make it any better. 

You just don't get it, and I'm done trying to explain it to you.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Your right.  Diablo have always been about loot farming.

But the difference is in Diablo 2, you are trying to go from great gear to perfect gear.  But that dont' stop people from loot farm does it?  People that are loot farming are trying to go from 80% to maybe 100%.  Aka the gear gap is not that much.

BUt in Diablo 3.  Ther power gap is so huge.  People with perfect gear are hitting for 4 times stronger than people with average gear.  And it's purposely done so, so people will be lured to spent on RMAH.

You just don't get it, and I'm done trying to explain it to you.

Funny thing is, I feel the same about you.  Good luck with all your epic loots! 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Even without the RMAH I wouldn't touch D3.

The fact that it has a RMAH just reinforces how much I would never play the game.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

You actually describe someone who is trying to make his hobby into profitable job, despite the fact it's clearly not sustainable. And before he realise that hobby stops being fun and turns into chore. Most healthy adults are reasonable enough to reckognize that.

Gambling problems lie somewhere else and biggest difference is it ruins people financially, not because it's not profitable, but because they're encouraged to spend money they don't have for temporary feelings of power, popularity and control. While D3 as any game can make some people addicted it's not even close to gambling.

Originally posted by crazynanny

You actually describe someone who is trying to make his hobby into profitable job, despite the fact it's clearly not sustainable. And before he realise that hobby stops being fun and turns into chore. Most healthy adults are reasonable enough to reckognize that.

Gambling problems lie somewhere else and biggest difference is it ruins people financially, not because it's not profitable, but because they're encouraged to spend money they don't have for temporary feelings of power, popularity and control. While D3 as any game can make some people addicted it's not even close to gambling.

no I'm not talking about people that are trying to make a hobby into a profitable job, I'm talking about most typical gamers and people in general.   The carrot in most games is the next peice of gear, or the next level, or the next skill. The RMAH turns the carrot into a cash kickback. People, not intending on making it a profitable job, will still grind bosses, or grind areas to get drops to get their next kickback. 

And yes, it is just like gambling because it is gambling. You spend time working at taking down a high level boss hoping for the big drop. Didn't get it that last run, then try again in an hour.  Not that time either, better luck next time. Time is money, and I really hope that you are not completely blind to that fact.  

And gambling doesn't have to ruin somebody to be gambling, but yes it can ruin people.  So can farming a videogame because you think that this next run you might be able to get that s$200.00 drop. You can use the excuse that you're just doing it for fun, but really you are doing it to have the chance at that drop. Maybe stay up a little extra late again tonight, I hear the drop rates are better at 4am.