Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why am I just playing Old Games?

iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

So I  noticed something lately.  The games I'm playing (outside of Skyrim):

KOTOR

KOTOR 2 (Restored Content Mod)

DA: O with mods

Fallout 3

And now Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Now I've played ME3 and the other "new games", and the only ones I found worth it were Witcher 2 (even then the enhanced edition) and Skyrim.

Is it me or are today's games just outright bad?  Or maybe (and this could be) a lot of these games came from a golden age of gaming that we have left?

Btw, any suggestions on Oblivion mods?  That's another reason I love a lot of these games.  So much modding.  Of course now, with the world of always on connections required and ever more intrusive DRM causing performance issues, less and less mods.

Not to mention everyone is just focused on money grabbing DLC now. 

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Nothing wrong with playing old games. There are tons of great games worth revisiting all the time. I play through Super Metroid about once a year. Same with Resident Evil remake. Great games are timeless.

In response to if games today are just bad? There are still some gems out there, but you have to wade through more trash because the business is just exponentially bigger. I would say we are in a bad trend with a lot of games. Women being overly sexualized, sensationalized violence and gore, heavy use of profanities

• petespritonpetespriton Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Nothing wrong with playing old games. There are tons of great games worth revisiting all the time. I play through Super Metroid about once a year. Same with Resident Evil remake. Great games are timeless.

IMO, the best consol games ever made:

1. Out of this World (sega genesis)

2. Landstalker (sega genesis)

3. Super Metroid (super nintendo)

4. Link to the Past (super nintendo)

Originally posted by petespriton
    Originally posted by Foomerang Nothing wrong with playing old games. There are tons of great games worth revisiting all the time. I play through Super Metroid about once a year. Same with Resident Evil remake. Great games are timeless.
     IMO, the best consol games ever made:

1. Out of this World (sega genesis)

2. Landstalker (sega genesis)

3. Super Metroid (super nintendo)

4. Link to the Past (super nintendo)

Nice list. I still play Shenmue now and then. That game is still ahead of its time haha.

• petespritonpetespriton Member Posts: 22
    Sounds like we have have similar tastes :D
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Foomerang

In response to if games today are just bad? There are still some gems out there, but you have to wade through more trash because the business is just exponentially bigger. I would say we are in a bad trend with a lot of games. Women being overly sexualized, sensationalized violence and gore, heavy use of profanities

I guess what I'm really looking for is a "mature" game.  And by mature, i don't just mean excessive boobehs and swearing.  Witcher 2 has some great things going for it, but I honestly found the absurd profanity taking away from the game even more than the low view of women the game has.  (They are a step above the exploitative view of the first game, but that isn't saying much.)

Originally posted by iceman00
    Originally posted by Foomerang Nothing wrong with playing old games. There are tons of great games worth revisiting all the time. I play through Super Metroid about once a year. Same with Resident Evil remake. Great games are timeless. In response to if games today are just bad? There are still some gems out there, but you have to wade through more trash because the business is just exponentially bigger. I would say we are in a bad trend with a lot of games. Women being overly sexualized, sensationalized violence and gore, heavy use of profanities
    I guess what I'm really looking for is a "mature" game.  And by mature, i don't just mean excessive boobehs and swearing.  Witcher 2 has some great things going for it, but I honestly found the absurd profanity taking away from the game even more than the low view of women the game has.  (They are a step above the exploitative view of the first game, but that isn't saying much.)

Honestly, there are some great indie games available on xbox live arcade and the ps3 network if you have either of those consoles. You can also check out indiegames.com for a breath of fresh air. There are a lot of great single player open world games that but the bulk of them are on the ps3.

As far as mmos go, it is pretty slim pickins if you are looking for something more than an action/adventure themepark. Salem is just around the corner. The Repopulation looks promising.

Personal bias here, but I think AAA innovation peaked during the Dreamcast era. Mainstream gaming is all about delivering an action movie like experience these days. Which feels less like a video game and more like an interactive commercial.

Dont even get me started on AAA mmos lol. I cant even remember the last time one of my characters died in these things. About a week in to most of these, and I already know everything there is to know with a path to completion laid out nice n neat. bleh ;)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

DAO and Fallout 3 are old games? Are you saying that games in the past two years suck?

I am playing Forza 4, GoW 3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, Street Fighter x Tekken and Mortal Kombat 9. They are all "new" games. I am also playing SC2 but by your criteria that is an old game :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Been playing more XCOM and Syndicate Wars than anything else latley.
  • Sometimes old games are just better than the new ones.
  • jaynieloveyjaynielovey Member Posts: 1
    it mean you are still interested in the gameplay and love all your game friends there.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time.

I also loved Fable, but I'm not sure if that is just nostalgia. I don't think I will play it again, but I would and will play Morrowind again.

There are some great old games, of course.

But now I am enjoying Skyrim and Minecraft. These are both great new games.

I'm enjoying TSW (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm not saying it's a "great" game, but I like it a lot). I am looking forward to GW2, which I've never played in beta. I don't know anything about how it will be. I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2. Maybe play DayZ soon.

I have played some new ones that I thought were stinkers e.g., Diablo 3 and many others. 

• Enkindu2Enkindu2 Member Posts: 26
    Just replayed Mass Effect I and Morrowind to help me forget the sequels.  It was a good move :)
  • thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

KOTOR

Fallout 3

Now I've played ME3 and the other "new games", and the only ones I found worth it were Witcher 2 (even then the enhanced edition) and Skyrim.

Is it me or are today's games just outright bad?  Or maybe (and this could be) a lot of these games came from a golden age of gaming that we have left?

Btw, any suggestions on Oblivion mods?  That's another reason I love a lot of these games.  So much modding.  Of course now, with the world of always on connections required and ever more intrusive DRM causing performance issues, less and less mods.

Just recently played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for some reason I left it in the box when it was released. It was a blast, really enjoyed it. Suggest you try it.

I also have to play Witcher 2 as Scoia'tael, but kinda between that or The Dawnguard.

There are also many new titles coming out shortly, check this thread for those.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37
    I still play counter strike source. Can always count on counter strike for a lil' bit of fun ^_^
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I'm in the same boat..

I play Red Alert 2, Team fortress 2 and find Fallout NV more fun then Skyrim (stupid mountains, no guns)

I have very little interest in new games, they're either to simple without freedom or to much like work.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

KOTOR

Fallout 3

Not dude it's not jsut you.

Todays games are all utter fails.

I was playing diablo 1 and baldurs gate 2 some weeks ago.

There something missing in todays games and i have to say that developers have lost their passion creating an immersive and enjoyable game.

Holywood died some years ago.The same happens with gaming industry.

I think the only thing remains to be enjoyable is extreme sports,sex and getting drunk 24/7.

• ProbertProbert Member Posts: 18

Shadowrun for the Genesis - One of the best games ever

Tyrants for the Genesis - Best RTS game ever

First NHL for the Genesis - Best sports game ever

Ogre Battles for PS1 - Best turn base game ever

Destruction Derby for PS1 - Awesome

Zelda for Nintedo - Great game

Diablo 1

BG2, NWN

EQ, Ultima Online

Sim City

The Sims

Civ

Just some of the old games I still play, new games are good to, just dont find as many. I really like the new Batman game. I love MLB the Show call me crazy thats up there for best sports game ever, close.

I also enjoy the new FPS ones, COD, MW3 those are decent games.....will never come close to Socom 2 for PS2 though, or Quake 2.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

The best shooter still to this day is Half Life 2.  How do I know?  I generally don't like shooters.  But when I first played it, I was blown away by how crisp the game was, how innovative some of the combat was (gravity gun anyone), just how everything was well put together.

As far as actual skill,  it was in a class of its own.  COD and the like, they are more the production package, especially now.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I have given up on MMOs.

Now I play Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Witcher 2, and Dungeon Defenders.

Oh and as another poster said "Getting drunk 24/7" does not sound like a bad idea.  :)

At my age, 67, it really does not matter.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    The only new games I play are generally made by indie devs.  I fear games are heading towards the same destination as the music industry:  All the well known artists produce medocrity, while the underground innovates and has more talent.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by karmath
    Been playing more XCOM and Syndicate Wars than anything else latley.

XCOM was a great game.

I've been playing one just as old lately...Panzer General (in DOSBox).  Been playing it almost non-stop. 

Going to probably be switching to Fantasy General shortly.

The oldies are still goodies, and better than most MMOs out lately.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Old games are fun. Ive been playing Tales of Symphonia 2, Civ 3, Wind Waker, and Battle Realms (in preparation of the re-release coming soon)

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Alot of it is nostalgia.  I tried to play Ultima Underworld II a while back on dosbox and even though I loved it way back when I just can't deal with it now. 

Every now and then I will jump on zsnes and play some old final fantasy.   I can never keep it straight which number it is but it's either IV or V, the one that introduced the job system via crystals.

CIV 3

QuakeLive is basically Quake III so i would consider that an old game as well.

I played some Master of Magic not too long ago too, loved that game!  CIV with magic and heroes.  MOO too.

Had to start playing Morrowind again too, my favorite of the elder scrolls.

MINESWEEPER!!

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I think its 5.  The one with the pink haired pirate girl that acts like a guy

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

If anyone knows a modern game that offers even a half of the replayability value of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (a game from 1999), give me a call.