Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any way to display your own name?

VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
See thread title.  Is there any option to display your own name and title above your character?  I didn't see an option for it.  Ever since I played Shadowbane, I have loved this option (in WoW and TERA).  Thanks.

Comments

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65

Guess not...

:(

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77
    i would also like to see this option added, but as of the last stress test there wasnt one. 

• MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63

I did see an option to show all player names:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options#User_Interface

Not sure if that is exactly close to what you are looking for.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by Misthawk

^ i saw that option too in game.

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Honner
    Originally posted by Misthawk

^ i saw that option too in game.

Yeah there is that option but it shows everyone BUT you.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    A bit odd, isn't it? I finally realized in yesterdays stress test that there isn't an option to display YOUR own name. It baffles me when developers choose to omit the simplest of features from their games. It's silly.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    For in the event you forget who you are...

lawl...
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by GN-003

A bit odd, isn't it? I finally realized in yesterdays stress test that there isn't an option to display YOUR own name. It baffles me when developers choose to omit the simplest of features from their games. It's silly.

But how is that a big issue?
    Its not like you forgot your own name.
    Sure having the option is great and all, but still, why is it an important feature to see your own name.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by Lucioon

But how is that a big issue? Its not like you forgot your own name. Sure having the option is great and all, but still, why is it an important feature to see your own name.

I knew I'd receive this sort of response.

Who claimed it was a big issue? I certainly didn't. Don't put words in my mouth. People play and enjoy games differently. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I prefer to see my name above my character's head. Nothing more, nothing less. Like you said, the more options the better. In this specific case it's more a question of; why the hell not? It's not a difficult feature to implement, practically every MMO has it. It isn't going to take away precious development time from more important features. Hence, my complaint.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Vaelgard
    See thread title.  Is there any option to display your own name and title above your character?  I didn't see an option for it.  Ever since I played Shadowbane, I have loved this option (in WoW and TERA).  Thanks.

Why display YOUR character name to start with? I hope you do remember which character you picked from the selection screen when you logged on :p

...yeah, I have the name always set to NO DISPLAY if possible ;-)

But how is that a big issue? Its not like you forgot your own name. Sure having the option is great and all, but still, why is it an important feature to see your own name.

Who claimed it was a big issue? I certainly didn't. Don't put words in my mouth. People play and enjoy games differently. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I prefer to see my name above my character's head. Nothing more, nothing less. Like you said, the more options the better. In this specific case it's more a question of; why the hell not? It's not a difficult feature to implement, practically every MMO has it. It isn't going to take away precious development time from more important features. Hence, my complaint.

sorry if i misunderstood it as a big deal.

After thinking a bit about this Name Displaying option, I totally forgot if my name is ever displayed in RIFT, FFXI, AOC, EQ2, SWTOR.....I don't log in anymore or play those games anymore but I just don't remember atm.

Do those games have the option to display your own name??

Originally posted by Reizla

Why display YOUR character name to start with? I hope you do remember which character you picked from the selection screen when you logged on :p

Fantastic logic.

I suppose we should do away with character customization then. It's not like you're going to forget the character you're controlling is yours, right? Just because you don't utilize a feature doesn't mean others won't or shouldn't be able to. There's an aesthetic appeal (for some people) to seeing your character's name/title. I'm also speaking in general here. This sort of attitude appears to run rampant throughout the MMO community. "I don't use _____, so why should it even be in the game?"

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

After thinking a bit about this Name Displaying option, I totally forgot if my name is ever displayed in RIFT, FFXI, AOC, EQ2, SWTOR.....I don't log in anymore or play those games anymore but I just don't remember atm.

EQ2 and SWTOR have a toggle option for it. FFXI does not display afaik, RIFT and AOC, dunno - played RIFT for 10 hours and disliked it, AOC is so long ago alreadyt that I can't remember it at all...

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Wouldn't that be cool to have our names displayed above our heads in real life?  Then I could actually remember people's names. lol

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

EQ2 and SWTOR have a toggle option for it. FFXI does not display afaik, RIFT and AOC, dunno - played RIFT for 10 hours and disliked it, AOC is so long ago alreadyt that I can't remember it at all...

yeah, now that you mentioned it, SWTOR does display your name and title if you want it to, I remember that I turn it off because my name got too long and was blocking my view.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

There isn't any way at the moment that I'm aware of, and this is something I'd really like too.  Sometimes naming my characters after literary figures I love, like Moiraine from WoT, can really get me into my character.  If I can't see my own name though, I might as well be nameless.  

I'd also like them to add the option to see your currently represented guild tag and your title if/when titles are included in the game.  

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

Fantastic logic.

I suppose we should do away with character customization then. It's not like you're going to forget the character you're controlling is yours, right? Just because you don't utilize a feature doesn't mean others won't or shouldn't be able to. There's an aesthetic appeal (for some people) to seeing your character's name/title. I'm also speaking in general here. This sort of attitude appears to run rampant throughout the MMO community. "I don't use _____, so why should it even be in the game?"

I agree with you.  

There are a lot of morons around.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Even though I'd turn it off, it should definitely be in game for those who would like it on.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I wouldn't complain if they added the option. I prefer there to be options, even if some options are used by few people. However, I have personally never understood the point of having my own character name displayed above it's head and I definitely don't think "because every other game does so" is a good enough reason.

I guess some people may forget their own name, or maybe they are so pleased with some name choice that they find very clever, if they must say so themselves, that they want to see it floating above their character's head, but I don't see the point.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

I use these

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Originally posted by Tokken Wouldn't that be cool to have our names displayed above our heads in real life?  Then I could actually remember people's names. lol

I would totally use this feature. I hope the devs of real life are reading this.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Targeting yourself doesn't help? °O

Is there even a self-target option? I forget... ...BOY, you people come up with issues... jeez....