Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gave it a try sadly i wont be playing,,,,

ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Enjoyed the game for the potentcial fun that could be had. Im not saying i had fun... but i could see myself having fun in this game if i subscribed but it had too many problems for me to actually spend money. I dont want to subscribe to ANY game this late in its development........what i want is a Quality F2P that i can occasionaly spend a dollar or 5 once in a while for a cosmetic item.

Thats not what you get here.....too many restrictions for me to call this F2P.

1. Cant use top tier gear that you find as f2p... seriously what up with dat? gold drops are for subscription users only, fook dat! I  find an item off random mob, say to myself oooh thats nice. try to equip it and game says i got to pay to equip an item i already felt i worked for.....

2 Severe bank restrictions,,, your personal inventory is reduced.... i say to myself ok no big deal... i expected that..... Then i find a bank.....YOU CANT EVEN USE HALF THE AVALIABLE SLOTS WTF! you only get 25 slots for free? seriously thats basicly unplayable. So you really believe im only going to find 25 usefull items in game that im going to want to keep around? thats insaine.

3. More then hafl the races and jobs are locked until you pay.....some of this i expected but lock ranger? REALLY?   ya ok, whatever FU.

4. Finally the straw that broke the camels back is..... cant own a home without  subscription, or real pay. im kinda dissapointed by this one.....some might not care but i did.

5. Restriction on how much gold you can have......SERIOUSLY?

Lets be clear.... no one thing on my list is keeping me from playing its the accumalation. Aion might not be a good game but at least its 100% free.... all purchaseable items are cosmetic...... which is why i keep playing.... and occasionaly spend money.

So thats the bad how about the good.

Grapics on this game are amasing,,,,,, the clipping range and view distance is awesome i feel like i can see miles away. And there is something about the textures i like.

Big game= explorers paradise...... maps are huge.... maybe biggest ive ever seen and there are 3 of em. like someone said in chat.... "You will probably play this game to 55 twice and never see all this game has to offer."

Many things to do in game makes for sandboxy feel. You can level via Crafting (which i hear is extremely deep and engaging), or level via Adventuring (bashing brains in with my axe), or via Diplomacy. (watched a tutorial seemed interesting).

So thats it.... i actually like the game...but id have to buy a subscription to enjoy it fully. and im just not in a place in my life where i want to subscribe to any game really. (just lost a job heh). But in all seriousness if it was just one thing i didnt like....id just spend the cash to unlock it and continue to enjoy the game....but its too much.....too much restriction.....

Its like i dont feel SOE wanted me to stay and at least POPULATE the game.....it feels like a big FU. Try out the game for yourself.... let me know do you feel the same way? I hope somebody from SOE is reading this someday. And if they are....I just want them to know i will be spending more in the in-game item shop in guild wars2 and aion then i will in your silly little game because those company's know how to show me they REALLY want my business......

Comments

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Hahaha either one of those points would be enough for me to not play.

And since I'm done with subscriptions..

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

I could stand all those points and play the game except the can't use your own gear part.

Wtf, this brings pay2win to a whole new level. (sub2win?)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

yeah is tons of people flaming the vanguard soe forums about it all now but then there are also people kissing soes butts about it to . I pay for a station pass myself but the gear restrictions in vanguard considering it was a few hundred people away from dead and cancelled are atrocious. SOE have the most restrictive matrix out of every free to play game company and have since eq2. There was wars on this very forum two years ago about lotr online f2p vs eq2 ftp and lotr online won whole heartedly.

I highly doubt SOE will change this though it works in eq2 apparently still to this day and people spend the money.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by cronius77

yeah is tons of people flaming the vanguard soe forums about it all now but then there are also people kissing soes butts about it to . I pay for a station pass myself but the gear restrictions in vanguard considering it was a few hundred people away from dead and cancelled are atrocious. SOE have the most restrictive matrix out of every free to play game company and have since eq2. There was wars on this very forum two years ago about lotr online f2p vs eq2 ftp and lotr online won whole heartedly.

I highly doubt SOE will change this though it works in eq2 apparently still to this day and people spend the money.

True but overall Eq2 had a much larger fanbase than VG when it was converted to F2P.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Same here

I don't really care about space,money, chunk or class/race restrictions. I understand a F2P scheme is suppose to bring money in, but the item restriction just means I can't play any of my toons unless I either downgrade their gear or pay a full subscription price of 15 bucks. That would have been OK if the game was worth 15 a month alongside other triple A titles.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I've said before that SoE's idea of F2P is grossly different than say Turbine's. They should clarify and state that the game is free to download and log in..."play" is a little too strong a verb for the actions that take place for free.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

SOE has a bloated perception of Vanguard's F2P appeal.  They also have a full-on nuissance-based matrix, ensuring free players grow annoyed before enjoying themselves enough to spend cash on an a dated game with unreliable servers and poor dev support.

/uninstalling

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah i have a sub and logged out and think im just going to uninstall and wait for gw2 and cancel my pass for soe games, between the terrible server lag and all the bickering and complaining in chat now about the matrix and the trolls using /shout I think thats about the end for me for SOE for good and the final nail.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I'm not here to defend SoE's F2P pricing model but I figured I would at least point out one thing I honestly don't have much of a problem with that also seems to be getting so many up in arms.  The restriction on Blue or better gear is imho not much different than XP pots in other games.  It doesn't restrict your ability to play, just how quickly you can kill/be killed which prior to max level typically only relates to how quickly you can accumulate xp and thus level.  At max level it is then a matter of BiS which by my account most, yes not all, F2P models limit in some way fashion or form anyway.  Also, if they do follow the EQ2 model then you will be able to buy unlocks for individual pieces at the cost of a few bucks each.
  • DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    The first reason is the big why i stopped playing the game, SOE has no idea how to make a -proper- f2p system.
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

bag/bank restrictions kill the experience for crafters

i do realize that they want your money but this game is not worth a sub - at least not a full $15 (i have played several different times)

when it is truly ftp with cash shop (i've spent plenty of cash in DDOs shop) i'll definitely be back - seems unlikely unless this current business model completely fails

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

I need to agree the current F2P system is a disaster.  For a game that prides itself on having so many options for players in regards to classes / races I find it odd they'd choose to restrict players finding a role they enjoy that may make said player(s) stick around.  I to wanted to be a "Ranger"... but nope.  Sad part is that now the games classes will be so fucked up in terms of numbers.  All the F2P people only playing a few classes... such a dumb system.

Might be entertaining until GW2 releases.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The reason i left this game 3 months after release is still there,

Extremely bad cluncky character annimations.

Took me 3 hours to get all irritated and itchy again, i just cant stand those annimations that made an over average game unplayable for me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

The problem with SOE is they dont understand the mental state of what the F2P players are comming in as. Lets say i just hear about this game for the first time going F2P today (which i did only a week ago).

And since im a person that trys EVERY F2P i can get my hands on........i download.

And the first thing i notice is i cant have every job and level it to max lvl and i say to myself (well thats annoying and frustrating). What i dont say to myself is (Awwww i want that job so bad im just going to spend money on it RIGHT HERE AND NOW!).

Too many annoying and frustrating things = no sale uninstall. But SOE dont see it that way. They think there crap is gold and smells like flowers. And ppl are just going to rush to charge there credit cards to spend on a game they hardly know or gotten used to.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

SEE.........All the above post are all the people really trying to play for free.  I told you this stuff attracts them.  Now if you decide to spend money in the cash shop or pay the sub, and really try and make something good with you character......HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO PLAY AN MMO WITH ALL THE OTHER GIMPED PLAYERS ?

Add to the fact that over half will leave for GW2 in two weeks.....This is one of many reasons SOE should not own a good mmo like Vanguard.

Someone please explain this ?

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Looking into my crystal ball...

SoE will compromise on the F2P item restrictions...several months after F2P launch, when most people have tried it and uninstalled in frustration.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by ellobo29

Enjoyed the game for the potentcial fun that could be had. Im not saying i had fun... but i could see myself having fun in this game if i subscribed but it had too many problems for me to actually spend money. I dont want to subscribe to ANY game this late in its development........what i want is a Quality F2P that i can occasionaly spend a dollar or 5 once in a while for a cosmetic item.

1. Cant use top tier gear that you find as f2p... seriously what up with dat? gold drops are for subscription users only, fook dat! I  find an item off random mob, say to myself oooh thats nice. try to equip it and game says i got to pay to equip an item i already felt i worked for.....

2 Severe bank restrictions,,, your personal inventory is reduced.... i say to myself ok no big deal... i expected that..... Then i find a bank.....YOU CANT EVEN USE HALF THE AVALIABLE SLOTS WTF! you only get 25 slots for free? seriously thats basicly unplayable. So you really believe im only going to find 25 usefull items in game that im going to want to keep around? thats insaine.

3. More then hafl the races and jobs are locked until you pay.....some of this i expected but lock ranger? REALLY?   ya ok, whatever FU.

4. Finally the straw that broke the camels back is..... cant own a home without  subscription, or real pay. im kinda dissapointed by this one.....some might not care but i did.

Let's compare this model with Lotro F2P

Quests:

Lotro = quests available only up to level 20, all quests above that (90% of content) has to be bought via quest packs.

Vangaurd = all quests are free

Dungeons:

Lotro = about 80% of all dungeons and raids are locked, including skirmishes, basically all dungeons above level 20 are locked except of dungeons that scale with your level

Vanguard = all dungeons (except end-game raid) are free

Auction House

Lotro = 5 items on AH max

Vanguard = no limit on items, but higher fees

Gold:

Lotro = Max 3 gold

Vanguard = Max 3 platinum (Equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro, you will hardly get a platinum piece by level 40)

Mounts:

Lotro = Can't use permanent mounts

Vanguard = All mounts free

Items:

Lotro = no restrictions, but shop items and buffs (like permanent tomes) makes a huge difference (+50 from all tomes to all stats) vs 0, or upgrades to legendary items via shop, etc

Vanguard = All gear available up to raid and legendary items

Inventory and banks:

Lotro = max 3 bags instead of 5. Banks slots are limited.

Vanguard = no limit on bags, bank slots are limited

Crafting:

Lotro = no crafting guilds, which play an important role in crafting 

Vanguard = no limit -- except of housing, if that counts as crafting

Classes and races:

Lotro = 4 races , 7 classes free (4 races in 9 classes in total)

Vanguard = 8 races, 7 classes free (instead of 19 races and 15 classes)

Character slots:

Lotro = 2

Vanguard = 4

REALITY CHECK

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

I can see where the item restriction can be annoying for people, but maybe a decent solution is that there is no gear restriction until level "x" and then you have either unlock or you can use crafted gear at any level which would help keep the crafting community alive.

IMO I think the AOC F2P is much more restrictive than VG. 

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Was looking forward to the Vanguard FTP model, now after seeing it, am probably going to uninstall.
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

SOE can call it what they want but all of their old games new F2P models are a freemium system rather than a true F2P system..

True F2P does not limit the races or classes you can play nor do they pop up annoying "go gold now" subscription boxes in your face..

Hopefully PS2 will be true F2P so SOE can see how bad their current freemium models are..

Playing GW2..

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by Thillian

Quests:

Lotro = quests available only up to level 20, all quests above that (90% of content) has to be bought via quest packs.

Dungeons:

Lotro = about 80% of all dungeons and raids are locked, including skirmishes, basically all dungeons above level 20 are locked except of dungeons that scale with your level

Auction House

Gold:

Lotro = Max 3 gold

Vanguard = Max 3 platinum (Equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro, you will hardly get a platinum piece by level 40) **changed to 2 plat for final Matrix recently

Mounts:

Lotro = Can't use permanent mounts

Vanguard = All mounts free

Items:

Lotro = no restrictions, but shop items and buffs (like permanent tomes) makes a huge difference (+50 from all tomes to all stats) vs 0, or upgrades to legendary items via shop, etc

Vanguard = All gear available up to raid and legendary items gear is restricted to Common  (Green) with exceptions to a lot of other gear and quest rewards.

Inventory and banks:

Lotro = max 3 bags instead of 5. Banks slots are limited.

Vanguard = no limit on bags, bank slots are limited to 25 from 75.  **max 2 bags F2P (50 slot default bag and 1 other up to 60 slot purchased in CS)

Crafting:

Lotro = no crafting guilds, which play an important role in crafting 

Vanguard = no limit -- except of housing, if that counts as crafting *Can purchase crafting mats for house in Cash Shop

Classes and races:

Lotro = 4 races , 7 classes free (4 races in 9 classes in total)

Vanguard = 8 races, 7 classes free (instead of 19 races and 15 classes) **Can puchase unlockers for all classes and races in Cash Shop

Character slots:

Lotro = 2

Vanguard = 4

Good post, just fixed a few errors for you.

This F2P Matrix/model isn't as bad as people make out, Vanguard will NEVER be truly F2P...the one thing I have a slight problem with is the restrictions on gear capped at Common (green).

All of us Veterans with Subs even rallied to try and get this changed and we are still hounding the Devs to increase the cap to at least Uncommon (Blue).

This is a trial run to get rid of the bugs and see players comments and reactions to these things though.

Players need to understand this, stop raging and voice their concerns instead, a lot of these issues are being openly addressed by the Devs and are being reviewed.

Less throwing tantrums and move constructive feedback would go along way.

The Official F2P Launch is on the 14th August, around 4 days away, so speak up while they are listening.

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Thillian

Quests:

Lotro = quests available only up to level 20, all quests above that (90% of content) has to be bought via quest packs.    However, in Lotro you do Deed Grinds which yield Turbine Points. TP points are the currency used to purchase the buyable content in the game. I did enough deeds to unlock Lone Lands (before Turbine included it in the base F2P, 2 Skirmishes (which allow you to get to max level, although LOTS of endless grinding), Trollshaws. Oh, and btw, you can reach level 30+ without buying ANYTHING. Remember you can also buy retail box of LotRO expansions from, say, Amazon at discounted prices and unlock classes, content, etc... without paying Turbine.  It's still buying, I know, but it's an alternative. My point is that the F2P model has restrictions, but you *can* grind your way through the game with what you start with...it just takes a LOT of grind/play/time. But, Turbine runs specials/sales all the time with 50%-75% off these, so earn Turbine Points, accumulate a LOT, wait for a sale, and voila you have more content for free.

Dungeons:

Lotro = about 80% of all dungeons and raids are locked, including skirmishes, basically all dungeons above level 20 are locked except of dungeons that scale with your level See above post, as with the purchase of an area of content comes the dungeons/raids in that area. So, once again you can grind for the TP to unlock these areas/dungeons without spending money.

Auction House

Gold:

Lotro = Max 3 gold There is an option using TP (earned in-game) to remove this restriction for the account (all characters).

Vanguard = Max 3 platinum (Equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro, you will hardly get a platinum piece by level 40)

Mounts:

Lotro = Can't use permanent mounts  With the earned deeds/TP you can definitely have permamounts. And, you just need the riding skill which is around 95 TPs. Very cheap price that can be earned in an afternoon of deed completions. Without spending any money. This is per-character, so it does need to be purchased for each toon, which CAN become very expensive. I choose only a couple of characters I make sure I want to keep and just get mounts for them. Mounts for alts not viable in my opinion, just for main toons.

Vanguard = All mounts free   Very Nice feature. One thing I always loved about VG was the  mounts at level 10 and the barding/saddle/horseshoes you could get for them. Very immersive system.

Items:

Lotro = no restrictions, but shop items and buffs (like permanent tomes) makes a huge difference (+50 from all tomes to all stats) vs 0, or upgrades to legendary items via shop, etc I played without wasting money on tomes. This is a preference only and not really a game-breaking option as these items were introduced specifically for the F2P and not necessary for regular gameplay. However, you can earn TP to get Mines of Moria expansion (or get from Amazon for low price...got mine for around 5 bucks that opens MoM, Legendary Items, new class) or get these tomes. This is a very good expansion and worth the price. Moria is awesome, imo.

Vanguard = All gear available up to raid and legendary items Very nice feature and one that should be included as these items were necessary in the normal game.

Inventory and banks:

Lotro = max 3 bags instead of 5. Banks slots are limited.  This is normal for just about any F2P game out there. The game is playable with less bags, but you'll be making more trips to the vendors without them.

Vanguard = no limit on bags, bank slots are limited  Nice feature, but I would gladly give up the extra bag space for craftable homes/ships in the F2P models. Bag space isn't what made/makes VG different from other MMOs. Among the most important was the ability to create player-made neighborhoods/homes and the ability to create ships and sail those.  I believe that bag space should not be limited in any F2P, but it's sadly a limit that most F2P-making companies agree on.

Crafting:

Lotro = no crafting guilds, which play an important role in crafting Actually, there are numerous faction NPC Guilds in LotRO if I remember correctly, that you can do quests for to unlock higher-tier crafting. Both games are great in this aspect.

Vanguard = no limit -- except of housing, if that counts as crafting Of course this counts as crafting. In VG, it was a huge part. It's the ultimate craftable item apart from building ships. Huge turnoff for many players, including myself. Ship and Home crafting play a huge part in the appeal of Vanguard. To make this subscription-only is a huge mistake on SOE's part.

Classes and races:

Lotro = 4 races , 7 classes free (4 races in 9 classes in total) Seems to be more in LotRO's favor seeing a HUGE cut in playable races in VG.

Vanguard = 8 races, 7 classes free (instead of 19 races and 15 classes) A LOT of missing choices here. Really disappointed in this.

Character slots:

Lotro = 2 This is definitely in favor of VG, as 2 slots is just stupid and not viable at all. But, play a hunter, earn deeds/TP and get to work unlocking some other slots!

Vanguard = 4 Much more viable, in my opinion, although with so many class/race combinations cut out of the equation, it's a moot point really.

Overall, I think the Turbine system is one of the best F2P models around. The main reason I say this is that you can literally earn content through grind/play. This is something that a lot of other F2P games are missing. I hope that SOE revisits VG to make it more on-par with Turbine's system (my opinion, as I really enjoy their F2P model) so that it's possible for those of us not wanting to subscribe an option of playing their game and earning currency to purchase some account-wide permanent expansion options. I've been an advocate for VG going F2P for a few years now. When I heard that SOE finally decided to do this, I was ecstatic. However, after reading the limitations placed on F2P I was sorely disappointed. I think they should definitely have 3 tiers of account features. Those that are F2P (never bought the game/subscribed), Premium Players (those that bought the game and subscribed at one point), and then the VIPs (those that buy game/subscribe). They should then have the F2P very limited (as such as it is now, but allow the brotherhood/caravan feature), have Premium given Brotherhood/caravan features, extra bag slots, all race/class combination, no crafting limit, and have VIPs earn VGP (vanguard points or whatever) each month, all race/class combos, ALL bag/bank/AH slots, no currency limit, etc. Also, have some really good cosmetic items, experience tomes, etc...

This is of course my opinion. This is what would make VG a viable F2P game...for me. My largest beef with VG is that those of us that at one time gave them money are not rewarded in the least unless we continue to subscribe. I bought 2 collector's edition games (one for me, one fo the wife) and we subscribed for awhile. I believe those of us that did this (or something similar) should be treated a little better than someone who is here for the first time, never paid, never subscribed, etc.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Good post, just fixed a few errors for you.

This F2P Matrix/model isn't as bad as people make out, Vanguard will NEVER be truly F2P...the one thing I have a slight problem with is the restrictions on gear capped at Common (green).

All of us Veterans with Subs even rallied to try and get this changed and we are still hounding the Devs to increase the cap to at least Uncommon (Blue).

This is a trial run to get rid of the bugs and see players comments and reactions to these things though.

Players need to understand this, stop raging and voice their concerns instead, a lot of these issues are being openly addressed by the Devs and are being reviewed.

Less throwing tantrums and move constructive feedback would go along way.

The Official F2P Launch is on the 14th August, around 4 days away, so speak up while they are listening.

This seems to be a failing of the SOE F2P in my opinion. If it's not gear, it's abilities (EQ2 F2P). I just wish they'd look at more successful F2P models and try to totally scrap the gear/ability capping.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

When you all gonna learn:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE TO PLAY