Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: E3 2012 Hands-on Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of our team's predictions for E3 2012 is that death would be a frequent visitor when playing PlanetSide 2. We've got a full hands on report on whether or not that actually happened. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments!

One of the main criticisms of the original PlanetSide was that it wasn’t such a great shooter. If someone dropped you at a PlanetSide 2 station and didn’t tell you what it was you’d probably get the impression that it was a super slick and polished sci-fi Battlefield game. PlanetSide 2 is a shooter through-and-through. It feels as tight as the best AAA shooters on the market, which is exactly what it needs to feel like if it’s going to really make it as an MMOFPS. Persistence is great and all, but if you’re still getting a better shooter experience in your current favorite shooter you’re probably not going to care as much.

Read more of Mike Bitton's PlanetSide 2: E3 2012 Hands-on Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Stop teasing and gfive it now!

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I'm excited baout this one. I hope they put it on the ps3 eventually also!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I really want to play this. Like really.

• tazmanyaktazmanyak Member UncommonPosts: 77

I'd like to know what are the hardware specs of the computers used for PS2 demo at E3 ...

Thx for the article, cant wait ^^'

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Let me in to kill some TR and NC already!  Vanu!!!!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Hope SOE does a good job on this game.  Been a long time since they had a successful game.

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    All I can say is that I played the original from beta and it was rock solid and a ton of fun. PS2 is going to absolutely bury PS1. *drool*
  • GundaGGundaG Member Posts: 5

As a long-time MMO player with a love for FPS games, this looks rully rull good.  Bet it's gonna require a real nice rig to play, though.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by EndDream

I really hope not. Anything dumbed down for consoles is usually crap.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by GundaG

As a long-time MMO player with a love for FPS games, this looks rully rull good.  Bet it's gonna require a real nice rig to play, though.

Will depend,  the original was perfectly coded at an art etc level that massive battles didnt really lag you at all.

Its netcode was its downfall with it just not being able to sustain these massive battles without some server side lag which made it like playing on a 28k modem.   Many of us put up with this as the game was just so damn awesome and didnt leave until the whole overpowered BFR thing.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Saryhl

This.

Game sounds positively super.  I really hope they pull it off as well as the original PS.

Even this sounds like an interesting concept..."Likewise, players who follow their squad leaders’ orders also receive bonus experience."  Gives pickup groups an added incentive to work as a team.  I like it.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

And holy heck, did anyone see the latest gameplay video posted yesterday?

Check out the flamethrower from the MAX at around 6:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5YLKbuda0o

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

As much as I love the info about this game, I won't ever touch it.  It's an SOE game, and SOE has stolen enough of my money over the years.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Oooh I can't wait to shred some Barney and smurfs with my chaingun.

Beta is getting very close. The original is the reason I got into MMOs in the first place.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Gravarg

As much as I love the info about this game, I won't ever touch it.  It's an SOE game, and SOE has stolen enough of my money over the years.

See I have given them more money than most people since I have been paying them since 1999 for multiple games, and while yes they have gotten alot ALOT of my money, I wouldnt say they stole it, I enjoyed the majority of my experiences, and They are in fact the most experienced, qualified and best MMO company around. Sure they have ,made mistakes, Alot of them such as the SWG debocle was not their choice. It was Lucas Arts. They also get a bad rep for destroying games, when the games that people complain about are games that wouldnt exist at all were it not for them, Such as vanguard which they bought and made playable. If not for them, No one would have ever enjoyed that game. So while alot of people dont want to pay them, I look at it this way. Id rather pay them and enjoy myself, than any of these other wow clone fools.

BTW the game is F2P and you dont have to pay for a thing unless you want customizations such as camo's and hood ornaments. all weapons and power unlocks are available through playing the game.

So you dont have to give them any money, what do you have to lose?

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

hands on preview and no video - almost pointless

meh

as far as "almost" is concerned - at least i'm a little more intrigued after the article

Originally posted by gatheris

hands on preview and no video - almost pointless

meh

as far as "almost" is concerned - at least i'm a little more intrigued after the article

There was plenty of video footage especially these live streams that happened. from Total Biscuit and SOE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLakXgelJGY&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ&index=6&feature=plpp_video

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by reaperuk
    Originally posted by EndDream

I really hope not. Anything dumbed down for consoles is usually crap.

Have to agree with this, though I don't get why they can't do games right.

I did try flying for a bit, but it takes me awhile to get used to inverted controls and I didn’t want to waste my time crashing over and over,

Bad design decision there, in my opinion.  It's not realistic, just appealing to flight sim fanatics.. who aren't going to be playing.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

Looks good, I never played PS1 so I don't have any expectations. However, I do play Global Agenda and that game is alot of fun but there is too much downtime waiting on mission ques. If this game is well populated it could be great.

Will definitely give it a try when it releases.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Despite the fact its SOE I am really looking forward to this.

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

This looks promising. My only worries are customization and skill progression.

• RenamedRenamed Member Posts: 10
    I'm afraid the graohics might be too demanding, and the game might lose a huge number of customers due to low FPS. I'm also afraid they might not deploy enough servers to cover potential customers from all over the world. High latency kills pvp for me. Imagine playing a pure pvp game with 150 latency.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Renamed
    I'm afraid the graohics might be too demanding, and the game might lose a huge number of customers due to low FPS. I'm also afraid they might not deploy enough servers to cover potential customers from all over the world. High latency kills pvp for me. Imagine playing a pure pvp game with 150 latency.

Planetside 2 is a cross platform title on both PC and PS3. I have to imagine it will run on lower end PC's if it is capable of running on a PS3. Plus having it on a console already increases their potential audience.