Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Is Leveling Too Easy?

13»

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by madazz

Why does it even matters?  Do all of you stop playing once you hit max level? 

Well... yeah... most do. What else is there to do? Repeat the same dungeon over and over and over so that we can unlock new stuff and re-do that dungeon over again, albeit easier due to our unlocked goodies?

So You'll kill the same monster over and over again, and do the same dungeon over and over again, just because there's a exp/level bar?

Well you see, once you max out and have done all the content everything is stale and doesn't change. As you level up you encounter new areas, gain new abilities, fight new monsters and obtain new experiences. When you level up to max in a modern MMO you don't do those things. You do get some new gear... but thats it. 

So I take it you enjoy repeating the same thing over and over again instead of finding new content?

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Well... yeah... most do. What else is there to do? Repeat the same dungeon over and over and over so that we can unlock new stuff and re-do that dungeon over again, albeit easier due to our unlocked goodies?

So You'll kill the same monster over and over again, and do the same dungeon over and over again, just because there's a exp/level bar?

Well you see, once you max out and have done all the content everything is stale and doesn't change. As you level up you encounter new areas, gain new abilities, fight new monsters and obtain new experiences. When you level up to max in a modern MMO you don't do those things. You do get some new gear... but thats it. 

So I take it you enjoy repeating the same thing over and over again instead of finding new content?

ya I enjoy fighting challenging scripted boss fight dungeon or raid or pvp or arena battle so I don't mind doing it over and over again.  The thing is, take raid for example, if the content is difficult enough you'll get stuck, so the main focus is beating the raid which you havn't beaten yet.

And most important of all, you are playing with people.  So I wouldn't mind. 

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Sorry but you didn't play EQ when it launched if you're only 21, you're probably one of these weird posers on the forums these days that pretends they played it. The ironic thing is EQ didn't have quests, it had basic kill 10 rats things which it came from but questing didn't really exist until WoW. I mean EQ2 had quests in beta but they were few and far between after level 10. The first game that really introduced them from 1 to end level was WoW. Even SWG in 2003 didn't have quests.... it just had missions you grinded on like EQ..

People seem to want to remember a genre they didn't play. The truth is WoW changed the MMO to what everyone thinks of it now, for better or for worse it's totally different thanx to WoW.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I can't answer for others, but when I hit 60 in WOW, the game was pretty much over for me. I had been to all the zones, reached max level, got attuned, and did MC. There was nothing really left at that point other than the raid grind of repeating a dungeon to get better gear to repeat the next dungeon to get better gear to repeat the next dungeon to get better gear to... well, you get the point. :) The game that I was playing ended, the content was completed, and the new game seemed like a pointless cycle to me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm surprised you guys quit after you hit max level.  Because the "leveling phase" is the most boring part of the game for me.

Besides the leveling phase is mostly solo and you don't get to play with people in most game.  The content itself is boring too.  Kill 10 boars, go fetch that item.  THat's what the typical leveling phase of todays mmorpg looks like.

• ValecruizValecruiz Member UncommonPosts: 21

I'm surprised you guys quit after you hit max level.  Because the "leveling phase" is the most boring part of the game for me.

Besides the leveling phase is mostly solo and you don't get to play with people in most game.  The content itself is boring too.  Kill 10 boars, go fetch that item.  THat's what the typical leveling phase of todays mmorpg looks like.

And that's the problem with modern MMO's, which is why I started the discussion in the first place :P  So at least we're all on the same page now!

Balance Over All

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

When you get down to it, Gamers will complaint about everything, regardless if its too easy or too hard.

When there are a million players, there will be a million complaints.

So Its up to the Developers to risk it all and create a Very long term MMO that will make everyone Grind for Years on end, and still like it.

Otherwise there will no pleasing anyone at all.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Valecruiz

And that's the problem with modern MMO's, which is why I started the discussion in the first place :P  So at least we're all on the same page now!

Guess why guild wars 1 was so popular.  Max lvl after 2 days or so. You played for skins, gathered skill unlocks, pvp. Exp gived skill points not lvls. Even if you hated that fast leveling, you could make max lvl character for pvp 1 min after you installed game.

• ValecruizValecruiz Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by ruonim
    Originally posted by Valecruiz

Guess why guild wars 1 was so popular.  Max lvl after 2 days or so. You played for skins, gathered skill unlocks, pvp. Exp gived skill points not lvls. Even if you hated that fast leveling, you could make max lvl character for pvp 1 min after you installed game.

GW1 was so popular for a variety of reasons.  1st, it was B2P.  For a MORPG, that was nearly unheard of.  Better yet, the content was well done and the game was beautiful.  2nd, the game was never meant to be taken at a hardcore pace.  Casual gamers could take days or weeks from playing and suffer no consequences.  3rd, As you pointed out, their PvP system was phenominal.  It made sense and everyone was on the same playing field.  It became about skill rather than gear whoring.

Yes, the skill points were an added perk to keep gamers going (especially with a level cap of 20), but to say the end game (or lack thereof) is what made GW enduring is to play that game with blinders on.

Balance Over All

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

ya I enjoy fighting challenging scripted boss fight dungeon or raid or pvp or arena battle so I don't mind doing it over and over again.  The thing is, take raid for example, if the content is difficult enough you'll get stuck, so the main focus is beating the raid which you havn't beaten yet.

And most important of all, you are playing with people.  So I wouldn't mind. 

Unfortunately I find ALL the raids easy. They ALL have a pattern that you learn and simply just rinse and repeat. While its fun a couple times for me, afterwards I find that there is no purpose. While I hold nothing against you in particular, I am saddened that people require so little to enjoy a game and thus those that want something dynamic are left out in the cold.