Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Layoffs Reported at En Masse Entertainment

Comments

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

They took FOREVER to give us Battlegrounds ... WoW took a long time to launch their first BG but there was no other options at that point in time.

Release such a good game without Battlegrounds was a total suicide for their game. Im sry but

this type of game with the fast paced action packed reactive type of gameplay is very good for us pvpers. but they didnt give us a good reason to fight. ( gear drop or golds drop or xp from pvp kills with diminishing return.) Or any sort of guild holdings that you capture or lose.

They didnt even launch BGs in time b4 everone was gone and to be honnest the New BG they created is a piece of crap. People just running around as it gives more points to keep moving than defending the nods. Its like a very very very bad version or arathi basin. W/E everybody left

so who cares anymore.

• tachiboitachiboi Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Can't wait for GW2 then? ;)
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by quikmixx

As far as the community goes, i feel the gw2 community is the worst community i have seen in a long time in mmos.

cause most of the GW2 fans (not GW1) are VET mmo players and are happy to see a different mmo with great mechanics and things players have been craving for in  an mmo!!!- just dive into the GW2 articles in this site. or just goto GW2 site itself.

But i do wish the Tera staff best of luck !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Not good new, but you knew it was going to happen.

TERA actually had less to do at end game (or even in the middle) than most P2P titles, so of course there was going to be a quick exodous.

I remember just before launch my guild had a voice chat meeting, and we had over 80 people on the line.

By early June the number dropped to less than 20, and now I doubt even that many would show.

I paid for 3 months, but left about 1.5 months in, once I got to 50, there was nothing there I was looking for.

Tough business to be in, game development and publishing and I hope the folks at enMasse find new jobs quickly.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25

I feel that this publisher has been way too harsh on this game to began with and chocked the life and fun from it.

The way the Elin was being handled and censored was beyond ridicolous. I had fellow friends who were Otaku's who were literally clumped into an god-forsaken aweful category and dismissed by En-Masse Entertainment under the deogratory and accusing terms "Pedophiles" for just wanting to play a cartoon character inside a video-game.

Their sick of being mislabeled as customers for fictious games and characters and I wouldn't have felt no different. Shame some players out there vultured off the elin as a reason to go around attacking other players who simply wanted to play the video-game.

Followed by the constant attacks on the forums by those who just simply hate Korean Games and Anime to began with. 

En-Masse Entertainment should have left TERA the way it was and embrace the fans who liked the game in the first place. Instead they went out their way trying to please a bunch of players off of Warcraft and League of Legends.

So what do those players do after they burned through TERA, made LFD an elite tool of mockery, and generally bash and bash and bash anyone who was an Otaku on those forums with nasty social attitudes?

They leave. And go to another game, unsatisfied that the game didn't give them all their "Western" raids, and "Content". And it's En-Masse's fault for advertising the game as "Westernized" in the first place and falling flat on it's face in the process after the initial hype wore off.

• DraxosDraxos Member Posts: 1
    Honestly I just found the XP gain to be too slow past level 30 I couldn't stay interested. I loved the game but without enough progression for time invested I couldn't stand it.  It was taking me an entire day of power playing to get one level in the mid 30's, but I have other things I need to be doing in my life. I can't play all day all the time.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I hopped on both EU and NA the other day through the trial/demo system.  Just wanted to check the game out while waiting on GW2.  I was surprised to find a total ghost town every where.  Granted I was in lower level zones and the game may be more populated at higher levels but it's only been out a couple months.  

Steam: Neph

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

Holy crap.  They have to let go of a few developers (which is probably somewhat normal in the gaming industry from time to time), and you guys think the end of the game is tomorrow and it's outright failed.  "It's failed", subs are barely there, horrible game etc. etc.  Holy hell what a crappy crowd of grumpy groans. 

I don't play it, but I bet you it will still be around a couple of years from now. 

Also, since when did F2P mean fail?  I thought if you found a better way to make more money then you were doing good.  Some people might even call that smart.  Many of you guys just cast F2P into the bad bin and move on.

Jeez

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Ocenica

Holy crap.  They have to let go of a few developers (which is probably somewhat normal in the gaming industry from time to time), and you guys think the end of the game is tomorrow and it's outright failed.  "It's failed", subs are barely there, horrible game etc. etc.  Holy hell what a crappy crowd of grumpy groans. 

I don't play it, but I bet you it will still be around a couple of years from now. 

Also, since when did F2P mean fail?  I thought if you found a better way to make more money then you were doing good.  Some people might even call that smart.  Many of you guys just cast F2P into the bad bin and move on.

Jeez

It's not just the letting go of the devs.  The community can see what's going on with the game they're playing daily.  Even as an outsider I only had to log in 1x on the trial to see where things are headed.  It's literally a ghost town.   The game is absolutely beautiful and combat is fun.  However, it took me all of 5 sec to rule out purchasing or even subbing because with my trial options I didn't even need to buy the box.  Sure it could go F2P and do just fine, but atm it's struggling.

Reading through the thread @ EME and guess what a dev states?:
    "This isn't a day for mourning, it's a day for celebrating that EnMasse is still here and still loving their fans."
    -Gregor

I read that as be thankful that EME is able to cut costs, keep the lights on, and your game running for now by letting us go.

Steam: Neph

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    knowing that this game was just a quick cash-grab, i subbed for a month when it came out to give it the benefit of the doubt. I gave it a good week before i came to the conclusion that it was a shallow horrible mess of a game. its like the devs focused all their efforts on combat and graphics and ran out of money to do the rest.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Jeez

To be honest (and I'm neutral on TERA) when the community manager and a network engineer are two people who are known affected.. it's not a "normal" staff cut.  You don't let the face of your company to the community go at the same time you let off the "normal" offload of after release cut backs.

I'm sad for the people who lost their jobs and I hope the game recovers.  Despite what those who don't like the game say.. the genre needs innovation and flavor if it's going to stay alive.  TERA is one of those few that try to do something different (whether you agree that they succeeded or not is a different discussion).

I wish they find jobs soon.  Sane people don't work in the gaming industry.. it takes a passion for long hours and believing in what you're doing.  Always sad to see someone's job lost who you know had so much dedication.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by Draxos
    Honestly I just found the XP gain to be too slow past level 30 I couldn't stay interested. I loved the game but without enough progression for time invested I couldn't stand it.  It was taking me an entire day of power playing to get one level in the mid 30's, but I have other things I need to be doing in my life. I can't play all day all the time.

Wonder why games today are failing...

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I don't like Tera, but wow  sucks.

Fixed it for you.   :)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by kantseeme

LOL try play lineage 2 where it can take you over a month to go up a level.going up a level in a day a grind fest...dont make laugh at you and your EZ mode. If you have other things to be doing in life...just put down the games instead of ruining them for the rest of us.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by lustbust
    Originally posted by kantseeme

LOL try play lineage 2 where it can take you over a month to go up a level.going up a level in a day a grind fest...dont make laugh at you and your EZ mode. If you have other things to be doing in life...just put down the games instead of ruining them for the rest of us.

Dont know if you taking a shot at me or not but im all for longer lvling curve. I was refering to the "It takes me a whole day to just get one lvl and im in the mid 30s" comment. I want it to take longer to lvl. these current MMOs people shot to max lvl in a week or so and then they have nothing to do so there off to the next "mmo". Hence why I said "Wonder why games are failing"

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

It's safezones on pvp servers!!!!  lol...nah, sucks man...still game is great, but tbh the safezones killed it for me.  All pvp took place 1 foot outside a safezone...then the only pvp coming is instanced...so owpvp is nill. 

Sorry to hear people losing jobs though...the game was solid so i'm sure devs will make it somewhere else.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by kevjards
    is'nt that what normally happens once a game is released..dont remember any game keeping the same amount of staffon..could be wrong though..well apart from WOW maybe,being that it has been so successful.

Ultima Online, Wizard 101, WOW, EVE, Puzzle Pirates, and ATITD still retained the same staff or larger after release.

No they didn't. Ultima Online is an EA game. Show me a time when EA hasn't had layoffs - that team even had layoffs within the past couple of years while at EA/Mythic. Blizzard had layoffs within the last year. CCP had layoffs ~2 years ago. No company is immune.

"once a game is released"   -  No one said they never have layoffs.

UO - http://www.uoherald.com/node/3 <-- there's UO for you.

CCP had a layoff eight years after the release. Until then, the staff grew each year.

The same with Blizzard - 'within the last year' is not what we are talking about unless 'within the last year' is 2004, at which point this is a helluva necro post.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Jeez

Holy crap. Wasnt this reply given 10000000000000x on SWTOR, AoC, LoTRo, DCU and EQ2 forums?

Face it, when your MMORPG is advertised only with "action combat!" you know something is wrong...not to mention reviews from all over Asia about how this Asian game has a stupid story that makes no sense...I mean, not even to them does "we must kill the teribibledibles before they become to numerous and damage the serenity of our souls" make any freaking sense.

level 1 to endgame has no point...A RPG with no story worth following...great idea!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I am not surprised another game that is a clone and reskin.  You would think dev houses would get the idea that is not what players want.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Tera's action combat is its main draw for me. I have a level 60 lancer(tank) a level 60 slayer (melee dps) and a level 55 warrior (hybrid melee). The game over all is entertaining, but its suffering from a declining player base.

Some of the design decisions are not well thought out. One example is the coming change to lancer blocking.  Its really a "solution" to a non existant "problem".  This change is bound to seriously annoy many of us with lancers, and the timing is really bad, considering that Guild Wars 2 launches on the 25th.  I'm giving some serious thought to just saying to hell with it, and moving to GW2. 

This is likely to make the current tank shortage even worse, lead to many people dropping their subs, and thus the down ward spiral will continue.  Its too bad, as over all the game is rather entertaining. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140
    wow gotta say its kinda getting sucky with all these "wow killers" starting to lose their employees
  • ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182
         I knew Tera was terrible from the first minute of beta.  The opening cut scene gave it all away.  "Hey look, There is a Magic Island!"  oooh ah.   Sean Connery badger, "yesh let us go a descover it."   Horned girl, "Squew discover, let's plunder it."  Just that intro made me feel like they were catering to 9 year olds.  The breast physics were good though, I'm sure the employees who came up with that will find work.  Oh wait, they probably don't work for enmasse, they're Korean and work for who ever actually developed this game.  What does enmasse do anyway, translate badly?  Press the on button?
  • ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158
    the awkward combat killed it for me... i didn't mind the grind... graphics were superb... but i just couldn't enjoy the combat
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

okay i usually am all for pitty parties when people get let go here and i even hated it when swtor laid off employees but i seriously cannot even begin to feel sorry for this company and honestly why should anyone?

This company bought the rights to a game that was flopping in asia that was posted during beta phases even in asia over a year ago on this site. This was before en masse was even anounced. So basically all im getting in is a ceo or board went in blindly and purchased the rights to tera without doing any research on the game before selling it here and then hired a bunch of people whom also did no research and just took the job thinking they would be perfectly fine even though the game was dying in korea and china? seriously whats wrong with this picture here, they knew better and my only guess is they were unemployed before this and had no choice but to take the job with en masse as anyone whom has choices of places to work tend to do tons of research before making that decision. Like i said im usually not this harsh on this sort of stuff but I just cannot fathom people not doing a google search before signing their life away.

• FreyaVPFreyaVP Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by weeoohweee
    it's almost satisfying to see some of the hardcore, fire breathing, mud slinging, flame throwing TERA zealots asking for mercy, compassion and such in this thread after all the things they've said back when the game was coming out.
    pretty sure the GW2 fanboys here are overwhelmingly more obnoxious.