Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those who are not buying GW2

Comments

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

If I was a developer working for a company that the main objective is sales and $ generated:

"Would I develop a sandbox MMORPG that would require 2+ years of development, while I could deliver the themepark in less than a year"?

Well the choice is obviouss "pump more themeparks". If the formula works much better, why abandon it for sandbox? This will continue until players keep funding the themepark formula. I'm proud to be one of those who aren't for the sake of the genre.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by Kopogero

You are the hope for this genre ;)

Death to all theme and amusement parks!

Let our voices be heard that we want freedom of choice and meaningful purpose to play a MMORPG. There is no place for a themepark ride that quickly ends with rewards like text title, cosmetic armor and mounts that get replaced as expansions come by.

I would find it far more rewarding if I went to clean some toilets for $10 an hour until future sandboxes like Arche Age arrive.

Spoken by a 11 year+ MMORPG veteran.

Peace out~

You know, your voice isn't heard when you rant like a psychotic. Just saying.

You don't like the game, cool. You like otehr games, cool. Try not to be a troll about it.

Oh, and I really do hope Archeage works out, because what I see now from the videos is a very dull Asian grinder that has open PvP and houses. Yay. Class system sounds cool though.

i think you are missing OP point .it is intended for those people who are not buying gw2 .so if you have already bought it .why are you here ?

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by lotaparty

Let our voices be heard that we want freedom of choice and meaningful purpose to play a MMORPG. There is no place for a themepark ride that quickly ends with rewards like text title, cosmetic armor and mounts that get replaced as expansions come by.

I would find it far more rewarding if I went to clean some toilets for $10 an hour until future sandboxes like Arche Age arrive.

Peace out~

You know, your voice isn't heard when you rant like a psychotic. Just saying.

You don't like the game, cool. You like otehr games, cool. Try not to be a troll about it.

Oh, and I really do hope Archeage works out, because what I see now from the videos is a very dull Asian grinder that has open PvP and houses. Yay. Class system sounds cool though.

i think you are missing OP point .it is intended for those people who are not buying gw2 .so if you have already bought it .why are you here ?

A thread intended for people not buying gw2, but in the guild wars 2 forums, where people intending to buy gw2 gather. A paradox if ever there was one.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Peace out~

Can you start with mine? image

I was expecting a picture of Chris Tucker and a "Fck is you crazy!" tag but this was even better.  I imagine this will go on for 500.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

If I was a developer working for a company that the main objective is sales and $ generated:

"Would I develop a sandbox MMORPG that would require 2+ years of development, while I could deliver the themepark in less than a year"?

Well the choice is obviouss "pump more themeparks". If the formula works much better, why abandon it for sandbox? This will continue until players keep funding the themepark formula. I'm proud to be one of those who aren't for the sake of the genre.

What makes you think Sandboxes take longer to develop. The structures involved in quest scripting and such (and scripted quests and NPCs are the core of the themepark design in many ways) are quite complicated. Both designs have their share of complexity.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Spotlight poster troll baiting...well played sir well played. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• cyraethcyraeth Member Posts: 53

Peace out~

Keep your personal and unargumented toughs to yoursefl pal.... if you dont like GW2 dont play it..... i Dont like SWTOR but that doesnt mean im gonna rage about it in its forum, i just save time by keeping my mouth shut...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This Bud's for you.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

What makes you think Sandboxes take longer to develop. The structures involved in quest scripting and such (and scripted quests and NPCs are the core of the themepark design in many ways) are quite complicated. Both designs have their share of complexity.

Last AAA sandbox IMMORPG's I remember had quest scripting on top of the sandbox elements.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    you people arent gamers..  The defining characteristic of a gamer is that they game, not cry in forumns.  If you cant move to a new game and have some fun with it for a month or 2 then move to another game for more fun you arent a gamer.  You are apart of the new generation of newbs who think they need 1 game for the rest off there natural lives that suits every need and every whim whilst being open world sandbox much like back in the day when there was no content or end game just a world to explore ya super fun.. Get over yourselfs kids people game to have fun and if you cant have fun in a game like gw2 with a super smooth combat system 1000+ different skill builds then you are not a gamer your a lamer.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Peace out~

Out of some morbid curiosity, is this "death to all theme and amusement parks" including other recently released MMOs, or just "death to GW2"?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by the420kid
    you people arent gamers..  The defining characteristic of a gamer is that they game, not cry in forumns.  If you cant move to a new game and have some fun with it for a month or 2 then move to another game for more fun you arent a gamer.  You are apart of the new generation of newbs who think they need 1 game for the rest off there natural lives that suits every need and every whim whilst being open world sandbox much like back in the day when there was no content or end game just a world to explore ya super fun.. Get over yourselfs kids people game to have fun and if you cant have fun in a game like gw2 with a super smooth combat system 1000+ different skill builds then you are not a gamer your a lamer.

Actually this "MMO of the month" mentality is the new kid on the block.  MMOs are intended to be a long term experience hence why they are expected expand over time.  It's the Mario Bros. "how do I know when I've beat it" (zing) mentality along with the flood of good titles that has created this short term complex.  That's fine, although I think it hurts MMO communities, but saying long term MMO play is the new kid is very, very incorrect.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aelious

Actually this "MMO of the month" mentality is the new kid on the block.  MMOs are intended to be a long term experience hence why they are expected expand over time.  It's the Mario Bros. "how do I know when I've beat it" (zing) mentality along with the flood of good titles that has created this short term complex.  That's fine, although I think it hurts MMO communities, but saying long term MMO play is the new kid is very, very incorrect.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

Spoken by a 11 year+ cleaner toilets veteran.

Proof: http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Toilet

Peace out~

Fixed

Yes I remember when I was 6-7 years old. I used to have fun in every single NES and SNES game avaliable. Fact is as my gaming experience grew I became more careful and picky on what I waste my time.

If you enjoy hopping on to new games every month that's good for you. There is no point for me playing something I've already played numerous times before with just different graphics and same formula.

I've played most NES, SNES, PSX games avaliable out there and since I got my hands on a PC and multiplayer gaming I refused to buy XBOX, Playstatiion 2 or Wii since and Im still thankful for that good decision.

And remember we are talking not about gaming in general, but about a specific genre within the gaming industry. It has the biggest potential for "gamers", but its been going downhill due to the reasons I stated in my previous replays.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    We all know that most people who say they will never buy GW2 will give in within a month and will be some of it's most adament followers in the future.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Out of some morbid curiosity, is this "death to all theme and amusement parks" including other recently released MMOs, or just "death to GW2"?

agree, Op loves to make threads about how WOW IS KINGZ

After calculations done WOW remains the #1 MMORPG

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358582

I like how far GW2 has come, but WOW is still the superior choice.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358805

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Oh...another one thinking AA will be their savior. Keep dreaming wonder bread. Many will look forward to your tears when you get to play it in about 3-4 years.

1/10 by the way

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Negative threads on SWTOR, TERA, TSW before release:

-This game lacks content.

-This game looks unfinished.

etc.

Negative threads on GW2:

-I hate this game, because I like to hate it!

-I hate this game, because there are so many who like it!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Originally posted by Nadia

Yes sadly, WOW is superior to the themepark genre. That's a fact and best possible choice until a well developed sandbox MMORPG arrives. So sadly, my choice as a MMORPG player is between a poorly, indie developed sandbox games with extremely small playerbase like Mortal Online, Xsyon or WOW.

I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy the themepark formula, but there is only as much one can try.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Ye, i remember those...

Its still pretty sad that he succeed in baiting each time. Well, except the satiric posts :D

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

Yes I remember when I was 6-7 years old. I used to have fun in every single NES and SNES game avaliable. Fact is as my gaming experience grew I became more careful and picky on what I waste my time.

If you enjoy hopping on to new games every month that's good for you. There is no point for me playing something I've already played numerous times before with just different graphics and same formula.

I've played most NES, SNES, PSX games avaliable out there and since I got my hands on a PC and multiplayer gaming I refused to buy XBOX, Playstatiion 2 or Wii since and Im still thankful for that good decision.

And remember we are talking not about gaming in general, but about a specific genre within the gaming industry. It has the biggest potential for "gamers", but its been going downhill due to the reasons I stated in my previous replays.

This is where I am confused.  Did you single out GW2 strictly because it's the next big title that is not a sandbox? The reason I ask is that GW2 has the least amount of standard themepark elements in a major title that is not a sandbox.  If I'm wrong please list it.  There are tradeoffs such as Vanguard where you get an open world but are locked out of content as you level, trinity, static quest hubs , etc.

What makes you think Archeage will be any different? What tradeoffs are you hoping to find?

And, contrary to some, GW2 has an amazing amount of content for those that don't have the Mario Bros. complex image

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Yes sadly, WOW is superior to the themepark genre. That's a fact and best possible choice until a well developed sandbox MMORPG arrives. So sadly, my choice as a MMORPG player is between a poorly, indie developed sandbox games with extremely small playerbase like Mortal Online, Xsyon or WOW.

I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy the themepark formula, but there is only as much one can try.

How can WoW be superior to the themepark genre WHEN IT WAS PRETTY MUCH ONE OF THE REASONS THE GENRE BECAME SO POPULAR IN THE FIRST PLACE!?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

So the OP is saying themeparks are killing MMO's but is a big advocate of WOW. haha

If you are a true sandbox mmo fan i don't see why you would even be playing wow.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Theme parks aren't going anywhere.I'd prefer a nice balance of quality theme park and sand box mmos...God forbid we have some variety
This discussion has been closed.