Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Layoffs Reported at En Masse Entertainment

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    It really didnt feel complete to me. It could have been a lot better with better features and more pvp options. Still any lay offs in the gaming industry. Especially the mmo market stinks to me. Though, change is necessary because good god there is a lot of crap out there.
  • PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Vaelgard
    I really enjoyed it for a while.  The combat was really fresh, but there was nothing to do in the game.  The dungeons were boring and tedious, and after a few runs, there was no other endgame.  Content and fixes never really came, and they focused way too much on the Cash Shop items without adding any fun stuff to the actual game itself.  This plus the horrid issues of mob pop-in, atrocious lag during the nexuses, the poorly implemented vanarch system, and the weird inability to show all the other player characters on screen doomed them.   I'm not the least bit surprised.

Cash shop items were all items that already existed in KTERA and just put in the US version. In the end EME has to rely on BHS for the content and they seem a little slow at releasing the new content. When it does get released, it seems like it isn't even a lot.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Enjoyed the beta. Never bought the box.  Waiting for F2P to play very casually...
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Very sad this happened. It is always a human cost. People kept blaming EME, but in reality I believe that the majority of the decisions whether popular or unpopular were handled by BHS. Also remember that this game besides combat (which is awesome) brought very little else to the MMO table. Stuff like the way the story and quests were handled… left a lot to be desired.

People getting to level cap in a week or two with only a handle of endgame events; coupled with a horrible RNG and it was a recipe for disaster. Also add that instead of adding events like FFIXV currently does, everything is funneled into the cash shop. Granted this last one made a small impact, but from the tons of folks complaining on the forums… well. It’s the little things that add up.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by kevjards
    is'nt that what normally happens once a game is released..dont remember any game keeping the same amount of staffon..could be wrong though..well apart from WOW maybe,being that it has been so successful.

Ultima Online, Wizard 101, WOW, EVE, Puzzle Pirates, and ATITD still retained the same staff or larger after release.

No they didn't. Ultima Online is an EA game. Show me a time when EA hasn't had layoffs - that team even had layoffs within the past couple of years while at EA/Mythic. Blizzard had layoffs within the last year. CCP had layoffs ~2 years ago. No company is immune.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Yet another company that lacks vision on how to make a successful mmo. I don't feel sorry for people who got paid thoudands of dollars to make a failure. I feel sorry for the players who actualy bought the game but then again, you were warned and you didn't listen.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Yet another company that lacks vision on how to make a successful mmo. I don't feel sorry for people who got paid thoudands of dollars to make a failure. I feel sorry for the players who actualy bought the game but then again, you were warned and you didn't listen.

Warned what?

I'm enjoying myself. However, I also knew that there wasn't much of an endgame and that features would be added at the end of the summer.

It's not an issue unless there is an issue.

It's like peopel complaining about a grind heavy game or open world pvp.

If you know what you are getting into and you still "get into it" then there shouldn't be a problem.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

His latest tweet:

Less vague: En Masse has had a layoff. I was hit.

Let's read into the details between the two sentences and wait a bit longer.

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59
    I just started playing a few weeks back, hit level 40 yesterday. I love the combat, interesting bosses, and pretty graphics but everything else in TERA is very derivative--especially questing. Crafting is too difficult and expensive to raise although gathering the mats is easy and moderately rewarding (you get temporary buffs for gathering nodes). At the end of the day, TERA suffers mainly from the same old pick up all quests without reading a single word, go kill this, go gather that, come back and turn in style gameplay that we've all done and do not want more of.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

followup seen at massively

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/rumor-tera-publisher-en-masse-hit-with-layoffs/

Update: En Masse has responded to our comment request with a statement from publishing vice president Chris Lee.

"Today, we had to let go of some of the great talent at En Masse Entertainment. While a tough decision, it was necessary as we prepare for the next chapter of our business. TERA has been a great launch for us, and we are committed to our loyal players. We're taking measures to align the needs of our business to continue supporting TERA and preparing for our future. We are working with those affected by this transition, including offering assistance on new prospects within the industry/area. If there are companies who are looking for talented people with publishing experience, please send an email with the details to [email protected]," Lee said.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679
    Wows Design is the rock in which all the clones of that system will break and fall to pieces.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

It has been updated:

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/news-announcements/topics/A-Tough-Day-at-En-Masse-

"Today, we had to let go of some of the great talent at En Masse Entertainment. While a tough decision, it was necessary as we prepare for the next chapter of our business. TERA has been a great launch for us, and we are committed to you guys, our loyal players. We’re taking measures to align the needs of our business to continue supporting TERA and preparing for our future. We are working with those affected by this transition, including offering assistance on new prospects within the industry/area. Rest assured this doesn’t change our plans for awesome game updates and support, including the huge Argon Queen update later this month."

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Suprise!!! just kidding
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Not particularly surprised. This game was all glitter and shine and no substance.

Smile

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

oh god i hope Anet dosent read that statement!...not sure what talent was laidoff -but the game seemed very talentless.

GW2 dosent need those stupid BIG ass weapons TERA has.

But i do wish the laid off staff best of luck !

• FreyaVPFreyaVP Member Posts: 7

all the unwarranted tera hate makes me wonder about the community here...

this is a comment thread, not a mass insult thread, frankly none of you have any clue -why- they had to lay some people off, nor do you have any clue to the success of the game or not. seeing the random number of subs being thrown around, and the "hurr hurr f2p" being thrown around is rather ignorant.

even more laughable is the "questing in tera sucks" insults... considering 95% of MMOs have the same cut and dry kill x monster, collecy y drop, deliver to point z questing, it's really kind of stupid to point this out as one of tera's flaws, when it's a problem in the genre, not the game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Like I have said over and over again, this game should have come out as a f2p, just not enough content to justify a sub.

Now they will migrate it to a f2p game.  If you did not see this coming you were wearing blinders.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    it is sickening to see some of the comments from this community, put yourself in the shoes of the people getting laid off.  I've been there before and this is something that effects their lives.  As a professional myself it hits hard to hear talented peronnel let go but in an industry that is about the bottom line it will always happen.  I wish those let go all the best. 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    The money scheme at work. Not to surprising, once released it takes far less to run and manage. If it was developed over here the layoffs would of been a lot more.
    Originally posted by orbitxo

oh god i hope Anet dosent read that statement!...not sure what talent was laidoff -but the game seemed very talentless.

GW2 dosent need those stupid BIG ass weapons TERA has.

because Scapes was one of the game designers...

Seems like you're just throwing insults about something you don't know.

Bluehole Studios are the ones who designed the game and Scapes was just a Community Manager/Digital Market Manager for EME.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Not really a surprise.  "Outsourcing" the game is proving a hard place to grow from, when your source is struggling and giving signals they may shut it down on their end.  If EME knows this, it's better for them to give their own game full attention and cut back now on Tera.

I just hope that more "action" finds its way into current and future game design, as it is really a step forward from just button pushing.  Unlike TOR, I don't regret spending money on Tera at all.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Best of luck to those finding themselves out of a job at EME.

---edit---

Dirty traitors at EME I hope you all rot and never find another job.  Shame on you for stealing NCsoft's trade secrets and calling it TERA.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      Yea good combat, bad quests, PvP was a gank fest, crafting and harvesting was meh, the first 20 levels was torture and so on. The combat kept you going but you always knew that quitting was only a +1 away
    Originally posted by weeoohweee

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/news-announcements/topics/A-Tough-Day-at-En-Masse-

the comments here show you how bad the TERA community is.

and these are the people going to the GW2 communty

The TERA forums are open, meaning you don't need an active sub to post on them.

• quikmixxquikmixx Member Posts: 14

You can tell this site is infested with guild wars 2 fanboys. Such distasteful bashing. Tera was by no means perfect, but it wasn't a bad game either. The game suffers from a lack of updates and misplaced priorities from the developers who seem to be spending more time on the cash shop than the content in the game.

GW2 will be no different. The game plays the same as any other themepark game and it will only appease most mmo players for a short time before they move on.

As far as the community goes, i feel the gw2 community is the worst community i have seen in a long time in mmos. They get so defensive over every little thing and for some odd reason think gw2 does something different than other mmos have done before it. WvW is the same concept as RvR from DAoC. The same upscaling lvl for pvp was done for gw1, and nobody thought highly of it then. This game is going to dissapoint alot when it comes out. The only real positive about gw2 is its model. And thats all i have to say about that

Only real decent mmo being developed at the moment is Archeage. Most ambitious MMO i have seen in a long time