Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Layoffs Reported at En Masse Entertainment

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: We have received the following statement from Chris Lee, Publishing VP at En Masse:

“Today, we had to let go of some of the great talent at En Masse Entertainment. While a tough decision, it was necessary as we prepare for the next chapter of our business. TERA has been a great launch for us, and we are committed to our loyal players. We’re taking measures to align the needs of our business to continue supporting TERA and preparing for our future. We are working with those affected by this transition, including offering assistance on new prospects within the industry/area. If there are companies who are looking for talented people with publishing experience, please send an email with the details to [email protected].”

According to a Twitter post by En Masse's Evan Berman, layoffs are underway at the TERA publishers. We are reaching out to Mr. Berman for more comments and will keep you posted as the story develops.

Evan Berman is "Scapes" a Community Manager for En Masse, and it's unclear how many people have been effected.

@scapes - Layoffs have occurred at En Masse. I was hit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tachiboitachiboi Member UncommonPosts: 30
    It was bound to happen. Game has no substance.
  • BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I like TERA I still play. I am more into playing DayZ atm while waiting for GW2. TERA's combat is fun I wish more games would start to go this route. It doesn't surprise me on layoffs as you can see the population dwindling in game. I myself still have fun when I do play plus I bought so many chronoscrolls my accounts paid off for 6 months so I can't complain. If only they had more content like BGS when the game came out and raids this game would have fared better I think. Still fun though for what it is worth.

Time will tell how this game really does once GW2 drops then again when WoW's expansion comes out. It will probably be a ghost town unfortunetly.

• dieman4dieman4 Member UncommonPosts: 8

a lesson to all game developers *clears throat*.

If you dont give a dam what the community wants....then enjoy your game failing in front of your face :]

You may have created this wonderful game but, the game is only as good as its community..

Disrespect the community...dont give a shit about their opinion and there you go..what 4-5 years of effort into making this game? And it only took 1-2 months after release to get shat on.

So future game developers please..learn from this and actually give a DAM about the community. Its what makes your game alive and give you money.

Thank you.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Things really aren't going well for all these non Blizzard P2P MMO devs.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    is'nt that what normally happens once a game is released..dont remember any game keeping the same amount of staffon..could be wrong though..well apart from WOW maybe,being that it has been so successful.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't like Tera, but wow this sucks.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

For me it was a fun game for a month.  I don't regret buying the box and giving them some cash.  But within the first month I experienced what I wanted to get out of the game and moved on.

Hopefully the laid off workers find a new home developing another game.  It's terrible to be out of work.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by kevjards
    is'nt that what normally happens once a game is released..dont remember any game keeping the same amount of staffon..could be wrong though..well apart from WOW maybe,being that it has been so successful.

Ultima Online, Wizard 101, WOW, EVE, Puzzle Pirates, and ATITD still retained the same staff or larger after release.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VolarinVolarin Member Posts: 38
    How would you know that? Answer = you don't. That came from your bottom.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Volarin
    How would you know that? Answer = you don't. That came from your bottom.

Was that in reference to my post?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Well, I like the game quite a bit but it needs more "end game".

I subbed for 3 months and have every intention of subbing for another after that.

I'm doubtful it will fold but if it does then I'm just going to go back to Aion as my main game (already playign it a bit) and call it a day.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bigb671bigb671 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by dieman4

If you dont give a dam what the community wants....then enjoy your game failing in front of your face :]

You may have created this wonderful game but, the game is only as good as its community..

Disrespect the community...dont give a shit about their opinion and there you go..what 4-5 years of effort into making this game? And it only took 1-2 months after release to get shat on.

So future game developers please..learn from this and actually give a DAM about the community. Its what makes your game alive and give you money.

Thank you.

Same thing happened with NCsoft and AION. They didn't listen to anything NA or EU wanted and now it's free.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    tera had no endame... i survived there just for 2 months before i was bored to death... btw i played frogster version :/ and "safezone hugging" PVP sux lol :D
  • PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    Only so much EME can do to TERA. I would like to know what goes on between EME and BHS sometimes.
    Originally posted by bigb671

Thank you.

Same thing happened with NCsoft and AION. They didn't listen to anything NA or EU wanted and now it's free.

Well, it depends on what the players ask for. Sometimes players are just asking for a different game.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    You know what sucks about this the most? The people getting laid off will be the ones that kept their heads down and worked hard a this games code and what not. The executives and people with control will not move.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Thank you.

Well, it depends on what the players ask for. Sometimes players are just asking for a different game.

Nices one Sovath, thats sums up many on these boards perfectly.

I liked playing Tera but the quests did my head in they were so bland and my love of Asian style MMO's couldn't get me over that one aspect so I stopped. Shame really if it had been a grinder like Lineage 2 I'd have probably stayed longer as the combat on my Mystic was great fun.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Thank you.

I liked playing Tera but the quests did my head in they were so bland and my love of Asian style MMO's couldn't get me over that one aspect so I stopped. Shame really if it had been a grinder like Lineage 2 I'd have probably stayed longer as the combat on my Mystic was great fun.

to be honest, I played it mostly like a grinder. Heck, that's how i'm playing it now.

My thought is that it will go f2p.

Originally posted by gravesworn
    You know what sucks about this the most? The people getting laid off will be the ones that kept their heads down and worked hard a this games code and what not. The executives and people with control will not move.

EME just ported the game to a western market with I imagine not many coders so I think their jobs will be safe in the long term as it will go F2P first its probably the community and PR staff thats being axed this time..

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Shame, its a very good game.

Sadly it comes in both shade of everything going F2P and GW2

Originally posted by Calerxes

Thank you.

to be honest, I played it mostly like a grinder. Heck, that's how i'm playing it now.

My thought is that it will go f2p.

Yeah its the only route now or just watch it curl up and die, but saying thats BHS are not doing that well in Korea and its been shutdown or down to one server in Japan the last I heard. 

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Dammit. I was rooting for TERA so I gave her a fair try (3-4 months) and did everything I could in the game.

I played all the classes extensively (except one), hit cap after many months of playing only to be met with...fucking nothing. 

Coming back to the thread's topic: I'm not surprised but still saddened how it all is going down.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Release in Asia!!!!

RIP Orc Choppa

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I really enjoyed it for a while.  The combat was really fresh, but there was nothing to do in the game.  The dungeons were boring and tedious, and after a few runs, there was no other endgame.  Content and fixes never really came, and they focused way too much on the Cash Shop items without adding any fun stuff to the actual game itself.  This plus the horrid issues of mob pop-in, atrocious lag during the nexuses, the poorly implemented vanarch system, and the weird inability to show all the other player characters on screen doomed them.   I'm not the least bit surprised.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Tera is a bad game that has a dated quest system which is poorly laid out and has a very grindy feel to it. The combat is also terrible since it's "action combat" yet you can't move while using most of the abilities. Those are a couple of the reasons Tera is losing subs and En Masse is having to fire support.