Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well,,,, bye bye secret world

13»

Comments

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

It seems to me that a lot of recent games, TOR, TSW, etc, we get this type of post. "Meh, game sucks, I quit, PvP was awful..". It's that last bit that's been catching my eye lately. A lot of the whiners complaining about these games seem to prefer PvP to PvE. Is this the case, or am I just seeing too much into it? Personally, if people are picking up MMO's for the PvP then going away disappointed then I'm happy. The sooner they remove PvP from MMO's, except for those directly created for it - e.g. Planetside - the better.

Leave PvP to the FPS's of the world, and RPG's with their PvE focus.

As much as I agree with the sentiment here I believe that, due to the numbers of pvp only players, aaa mmos must contain some pvp or they will never get the player numbers they need to be profitable (for investors). The ironic thing about that is pvp players are mostly the "play a bit and then quit". Just look at AOC, WH, AION and Tera. All these mmos were targeted as pvp centric, all ot them did well initially and then cratered (in player numbers). As much as I enjoy what I have seen of GW2 (another pvp centric game) I see the same thing happening - the pvp players will jump on it initially and then 30-60 days down the line - on to the next game.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Going on the comment about a 'skill-less zerg' I got some bad news. When it is huge group verse group, it will ALWAYS be a skill-less zerg. That is the fate of any mass battle as theres just far to much going on to really let 'skill' take over. Strategy, possibly, skill extremely little.
  • ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Why am i in a world with 3 factions at war, where one second i can group with them to take down a dungeon boss; then fight them the next second in some huge annonymous skill less zerg battle.

Open world PVP should have been a cornerstone in this game. 

I'm not actually a player of this game, but I wanted to comment on this.

Personally, I feel that being able to both group with and kill the enemy should be fully allowed. I think that is the most realistic to the real world. Quite regularly in this world we will cooperate and work with our "enemies", while openly hating them. Nothing is ever black and white.

How that works in the game is up to the developer, but, imo, both grouping and wpvp should be allowed in the same game across all factions. Especially a game that has a modern setting

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Everything the OP critiques about TSW is what he 'thinks' should be in TSW, not reality.  It is what it is.

They explain it in the lore as to why the factions can 'team up' in PvE.  They also explain how PvP areas work.  They even write the explanation of dying and coming back in the lore. 

• LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

For me TSW was a good game over long time, new ideas, fresh questing ideas, really good atmospehre and storys to tell.

Maybe a bit short but even re-run done quests with new builds, testing them etc is interesting.

Plus they bring every month some new things into game.

IF I find out that game will offer FFA WPvP I never even touched it.

PvE yber alles stupid PvP--- I even never touched TSW's PvP zones, so boring and uninteresting is this lil boy's e-peen :)

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I've no idea why people don't seem to have learned by now... try games before buying them! There are so many open betas, stress tests and trials for damn near every game - if you buy something you won't like based on the hype, it's your own fault. 
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Zuvielify
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Why am i in a world with 3 factions at war, where one second i can group with them to take down a dungeon boss; then fight them the next second in some huge annonymous skill less zerg battle.

Open world PVP should have been a cornerstone in this game. 

I'm not actually a player of this game, but I wanted to comment on this.

Personally, I feel that being able to both group with and kill the enemy should be fully allowed. I think that is the most realistic to the real world. Quite regularly in this world we will cooperate and work with our "enemies", while openly hating them. Nothing is ever black and white.

How that works in the game is up to the developer, but, imo, both grouping and wpvp should be allowed in the same game across all factions. Especially a game that has a modern setting

I agree.  It made no sense how in WotLK how everyone wants to kill Arthus, hell there was even a joint assault on Death's Gate or whatever, and yet you can't team up cross faction to take him down.  Even in WC3 there was cross faction team ups when the need arises.

• Funbuns25Funbuns25 Member Posts: 1

Glad I get to use this quote for my first post on this site. "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." Those of you that played AoC deserved to be robbed. Funcom is one of the many hack developers out there that make their living based on gamer impluse.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Funcom has never been known for an amazing pvp experience...actually the opposite.  All of their games have a MUCH bigger focus on PVE.  AO didn't even have PVP at first.  It added it just for fun...nothing serious.

As for all the people saying Funcom is known for bad games, I disagree whole-heartedly...I love every MMO they've made.  And now that they have made a smooth launch, you can't even bust on that.

For all the Funcom haters out there....there are too many, go find a game you like rather than bashing games you probably haven't even tried (or tried for 2 hours with negativity flowing through your veins prior to even turning your computer on).

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by GeschaeferOpen world PVP should have been a cornerstone in this game. 

Why? Do you even understand the game and the background? The Secret Societies may be at odds. Sometimes at war. But they are there fighting the same thing. The game WOULD NOT WORK with how it is structured and COULD NOT be structured to work that way without making yet another failed open world PvP MMO.

Originally posted by GeschaeferThats my 2 cents.

Only worth 1/2 a cent....sorry