Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Shifting to Full-Blown Realm Reborn Mode

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Final Fantasy XIV producer's letter has been published with the news that the team is gearing up to start alpha testing the upcoming "Realm Reborn" iteration of the game. The team has a new trailer to share which is what much of the letter discusses.

And what a rebirth it’s gonna be! The disaster that will usher in the Seventh Umbral Era is threatening Eorzea with darkness and danger. The themes of destruction and rebirth are more powerful than ever for FFXIV, and so what better time to drop a few keywords in the trailers to hint at what’s on the way in the wake of the coming catastrophe. I think it’s a little something special for those playing the game now, since it shows the worlds of the current version and the future version side by side in a way that hasn’t been done before.

Read the full letter on the Final Fantasy XIV forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

Gotta give credits to Square to go back working on a title already launched.. Hope they'll do it right this time..

Checked the official website, but can't seem to find what's new with the relaunch of the game.. Anyone can point me to where I can find the new features ?

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    I've never played FFXIV so i will probably check out the beta. I really love the characters in the Final Fantasy universe.

• XyonicSXyonicS Member UncommonPosts: 1

The whole engine is being replaced and the world map reworked. The combat system will be changing as well. A whole new game that is based on the original release in races and classes only.

The screen shots of the new game look so much nicer than the original and it should also run better.

More info is always coming in so we don't know it all yet.

• Hobbes92Hobbes92 Member Posts: 8

As a long time Final Fantasy fan I found FFXIV to be really dissappointing. That being said I am blown away by the changes the game has made since launch. I've been playing actively since January and it just keeps getting better and better!

Like @Kebeck said, you've really got to hand it to the new FFXIV team for kicking things into high gear. I feel they'll do okay for themselves even if the game isn't a blockbuster hit ^_^

• TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93

I liked Final Fantasy XIV, I did. I liked the beta and when the game came out I bought the CE and liked it quite a bit. I didn't see the incredible problems with it that others did...at first. But over time I saw how limited it was in so many areas. Beyond the beauty of the trees was very shallow water. I had hope they would improve it, as FFXI was one of my favorite online titles.

And so I'm excited for a Realm Reborn because it sounds like they're really trying. That being said, I will NOT be drawn in by a CG trailer. I'm tired of games throwing out trailers featuring cut scenes and no gameplay, and that people get all misty eyed over them. I remember when Old Republic had their epic trailer featuring the jedi's battling the sith and everyone talked about how bad ass the game looked. Though I also enjoyed that game, it fell far short of its hype.

So I will say this about the trailer for FFXIV - It looks pretty. It certainly looks expensive. But if you want to win me over, show me some new gameplay, not the same old song and dance. I want you to succeed, but I won't put out over sweet whispering in my ear.

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

I'm excited for the PS3 version!

Hurry!

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• nordyanordya Member Posts: 82
    It's all ncie and dandy to show a CGI trailer, it does look exciting, but it's not the game, it's not gameplay. WoW also had some nice CGI trailers.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Never understand why they put out these, well to put it plainly, lame CGI's out.  The game isn't going to look or play like it.  So why not show some real gameplay from your revision of the game.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Looks like they are better doin a movie trailer -than a game.

I really wanted to like this game- heck i dropped my mmos and bought the CE for it. and the gameplay was so console based and pc unfriendly. it turned me off. i even bought the FF14 console  pc controller-LOL(...cry).

I give em props for sticking to the game and attempting to restrocture it- i wish i could actually see the changes. good luck to them. sometimes a cookie cutter mmo structure is best in some games- like this one should of followed.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    dont sweat it guys!the look in the game is awsome!it was never an issue of how good it looked ,yes even on day 1 of first lunch!
  • nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Kebeck

Gotta give credits to Square to go back working on a title already launched.. Hope they'll do it right this time..

Checked the official website, but can't seem to find what's new with the relaunch of the game.. Anyone can point me to where I can find the new features ?

new engine

combat,skills

bosses,world map

animation 

UI

almost everything.

and that moon u saw in the video,in every patch you will see it closer and closer to the planet the players are xd

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

I'm certainly looking forward to giving FFXIV "A Realm Reborn" another go...

Outline of Patch schedule & version 2.0 details (A Realm Reborn), please click    HERE

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Cinematics are useless.  Show us specifics.   I thought the game had charm in the appearance dept. but it was HORRIBLE to play.  I am a believer in second chances though and if the game was improved I'd give it another look.  But cinematics will not convince me, I want video of specifically what has changed.
  • MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Again no gameplay footage, Squarenix sure like to show of their pretty CGI. too bad their games over the past 5 years sucks on a epic scale.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Terranah
    Cinematics are useless.  Show us specifics.   I thought the game had charm in the appearance dept. but it was HORRIBLE to play.  I am a believer in second chances though and if the game was improved I'd give it another look.  But cinematics will not convince me, I want video of specifically what has changed.

It had meaning to the people who actually play the game. I'm sorry that they made a trailer for their devoted fans, and not the MMORPG hoppers. 

The gameplay videos are coming.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

2nd ff14 always had good graphics, the gameplay boxed in world even in instances, and horrible ui/gameplay mechanics with a copy-pasta world is what destroyed this game.

I'll get it for the ps3 maybe, however I'm not going to even try it on my beloved pc again. All my ps3 is, is a dust collecter so it can stand more torture if it is as bad as the previous version. I will never damage my pc with another ff install thou.

• gravitzgravitz Member UncommonPosts: 14

We just have to hang in there for another 8-11 days for some gameplay footage.

They announced on the FFXIV facebook that we can expect some gameplay footage at Gamescom 2012 in Cologne, Germany.

http://www.facebook.com/FinalFantasyXIV.

"FINAL FANTASY XIV producer/director Naoki Yoshida will be attending Gamescom 2012 in Cologne, Germany from Thursday, August 16th to Sunday, August 19th. He will be delivering a series of exciting presentations during the event, including a world-first gameplay demonstration. Fans will also have a chance to get his autograph at special signing sessions on the 17th and 18th.

For information regarding the autograph sessions, please visit: http://sqex.to/8Ly"

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

It had meaning to the people who actually play the game. I'm sorry that they made a trailer for their devoted fans, and not the MMORPG hoppers. 

You do realize most of their money would come from these "MMO hoppers" and it would be in their best interest to make something for them as well so they're more likely to get people to purchase the game so they can you know... continue to operate?

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by prpshrt
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

You do realize most of their money would come from these "MMO hoppers" and it would be in their best interest to make something for them as well so they're more likely to get people to purchase the game so they can you know... continue to operate?

Nope actually I'm pretty sure MMO hoppers won't help at all. True FF fans will be the ones paying the bill, including the ones who have stuck with the game through tough times.  There will be gameplay videos and such coming to draw new people in, but I don't see why people have to be so negative when SE does something for the people who have been paying their bills for the last 2 years.

• bigb671bigb671 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Definitely gonna try this when 2.0 comes out.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Crossing my fingers or Square Enix because they really are a good company!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I'm really excited for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. I have a lot of faith in this company to fix the issues at hand. Yoshi-P has so far proven to be amazing at turning this thing around. He's been very communicative with the playerbase and those who are interested in the future of the game.

That said I'd like to state the following hope:

I hope that MMORPG.com decides to make a new section for Final Fantasy XIV:  A Realm Reborn, in the hopes that it can gain the proper attention it deserves as what is basically a newly released game, since darn near nothing is staying the same aside from races and classes. That way the game can have an entirely new slate here on MMORPG.com.

Hell, they did it with WoW's Mists of Pandaria... I figure they could do the same for this. :)

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    i really hope they dont fuck it this time, i love Final Fantasy universe... it they will make good changes in 2.0 i would not wait any minute to drop GW2 or anything else for this game
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    it should be amuch better game
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    plz can someone make a copy of final fantasy 14 europe and send it to me ? i bought cd key online but they didnot gave me any installer :(