Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason PvP sucks in most games

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Truelevel
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Actually, you're all wrong.

Most MMO PvP are usually

Time invested == Skill

That is the reason why MMO PvP is shit. Compare this to other genres that have PvP, it suddenly becomes

Effective Time Invested == Skill

However, MMOs are created to take the OCD in us and slam it till we break.

What's wrong with this? Why shouldn't someone who's spent a lot of time practising PvP be better than someone who hasn't? That's usually the way it works in any PvP game. If for example I went and played a couple of rounds of Counterstrike I'd fully expect someone who plays a couple of hours a day to kick my ass up down and sideways compared to me who plays at most once a week (and often not even that). It's simple, raw fact; if you spend a lot of time doing something you get good at it. So of course time invested = skill.

I believe what Lienhart is talking about is the accumulated advantage "over time" regardless of skill.

Take 2 players... Player A and Player B are just starting out in a new MMO

Player A, usually has 3 hours a day to play.. hand-eye cordination isnt good but he makes up for it with experience.

Player B, has only about 2 hours to play sporadically throughout the week.. he has great hand-eye cord and reflexes.

After a span of 2 months player A and B meet up in battle and player A kills player B due to the equipment he obtained through raiding (which of course everybody knows raids are time consuming). Using your counterstrike example player A wouldnt last a week against player B because... [skill/talent > Weapons/experience]

you haven't shown why the player's skill should be more important than the character's gear.   The mage is casting a fireball the player can't.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by hyllstarter
    Open world pvp rules !!! I never understood why people liked the canned instanced pvp.

fairness, convenience, scripted events and more interesting objectives .. lots of reasons.

In fact, i don't play games with open world pvp, only instanced, or no pvp.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Everyone has their ideal PvP system. Mine would be something like EvE's where you can attack noobs but also at great risk to yourself.

Also, there should be better rewards to gain in less secure areas.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Open world pvp rules !!! I never understood why people liked the canned instanced pvp.

Probably because it is more fair....THe bad thing about open world PVP is 99.99999% of the time the person yo uare fighting against is much higher level/skilll and you have no chance.....At least in instanced PVP the players are lumped based on their level and it is somewhat fair.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Probably because it is more fair....THe bad thing about open world PVP is 99.99999% of the time the person yo uare fighting against is much higher level/skilll and you have no chance.....At least in instanced PVP the players are lumped based on their level and it is somewhat fair.

Open World PVP can Exist now with GW2's introduction of Downleveling in zones.

No longer will there be fears of level 80 ganking level 10 , because those same characters will be level 10 as well

I do believe that Open World PVP will be making a comeback after GW2, if its successful.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Lucioon

No longer will there be fears of level 80 ganking level 10 , because those same characters will be level 10 as well

I do believe that Open World PVP will be making a comeback after GW2, if its successful.

WvWvW is NOT Open World PVP, thats a very common misconception on these forums lately, WvWvW is yet another single zone pvp.

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by Insane666

Originally posted by Lucioon

WvWvW is NOT Open World PVP, thats a very common misconception on these forums lately, WvWvW is yet another single zone pvp.

He is not referring to WvWvW in his statement. He is referring to that in the pve world. In th pvp world you get scaled down depending the zone your in. If there was an open world pvp game that had this scaling feature the guy is stating this culd even the field of battle.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Palladin

1. It is forced on all players in the open world I.E. Darkfall, Vanguard, Shadowbane

This here the best best exacmple of pvp and how it should be in all pvp type games.

2. PvP specific gear

This is silly yes

3. PvP specific gear for event pvp such as BGs and arena.

Yes BGs have no place in a MMORPG game.

4. gear from 2 and 3 used in open world pvp.

Should not exist.

5. Movement during combat is to fast and furious it should be reduced by 50%

What?

For me the best type of PVP is the stuff you see in Darkfall and others similar to it, all this instanced BG stuff is just pointless if I wanted to play that type of game i would be playing mount and blade. I want my mmorpgs to have massive open sandbox worlds with full on PVP and full loot.. after all mmorpgs are suppose to be massive in scale..

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    In my opinion neither gear r skill should solely be the desciding factor in if you win or not in a pvp encounter regardless of game really, but most of all in mmorpg. The reassn being is even in the real world the gear/equipment you use can affect your proformance, for better or worse, in activities which you are doing while using that gear/equipment. The issue i see is that right now we are vastly too flung to gear being the desciding factor of how wel you do in combat, and the amount of skill needed to off-set the advantage gained from the gear is just well outside of what most players will have in most games, but i do not think that taking the combat to where it is the only factor that matter either though. Gear you gain from content should give an advantage, but that advantage should never be so high that someone else has to be in nearly the same level of gear to be competetive against them. The closer you keep the stat disparity between gear sets the more skill will matter in the outcome of a match, because right now in many games a suit of green gear just gets completely destroyed by purple gear for stats (an it is not just by like afew points, but by sometimes a hundred stat points that just makes it a huge expense of needed skilll to overcome that fact.). If you keep the stat differnce to where at most you would see a 20 to 30 point difference it would help to keep the game less about your gear being why you dominate, and more that your gear just enhances your skill , while still allowuing the lower geared players to have a chance to overcome that difference in skill or gear as well as just bad luck playing more innto it as well.

Yeah saddly in the nutshell as good as open world pvp seems it allows for well the enjoyment of another player to be gained by taking the enjoyment of playing the game from another player in the world. This is not how many players in the game want to spend their gaming time constently worrying about if they are going to get attacked by other players, fighting against compeltely uneven odds with little or no chances, and well being at the mercy of the whims of other players in the world. As such bg/instanced pvp came into being for players that wanted to pvp yet choose to play on a pve server to avoid the isues that make world pvp unfun for them.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    If you had a polished open world pvp with balanced classes/skillsets/abilities. One that was less gear dependant. Things would turn in to a numbers game. Solo players would cry that they got maulled and it isnt fair that 25 people beat them up. No one game is gonna make everyone happy. This being said i think we are on the eve of a rennisience of sandbox gaming. The ebb and flow of constant danger and struggle will keep people playing.... Assuming it is a polished game.
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    If you had a polished open world pvp with balanced classes/skillsets/abilities. One that was less gear dependant. Things would turn in to a numbers game. Solo players would cry that they got maulled and it isnt fair that 25 people beat them up. No one game is gonna make everyone happy. This being said i think we are on the eve of a rennisience of sandbox gaming. The ebb and flow of constant danger and struggle will keep people playing.... Assuming it is a polished game.

Not sure about a change into sandbox games as most people i know, and most of the people that actually play mmos that is targeted i think would nto go for it. Yet a much more interactive themepark that actually has the world, quests, instances, an events in the world change with each action that players before you take very well could be the next step. Or a hybrid themepark/sandbox game that is still built around dev content, byut which has many of the missing an favorite sandbox feature in it, since most people do not want to actually have to create their own content to play in a game theey pay to get entertament from. Also even in gear dependent games now it is a numbers game (zerg), but atleast in a more balanced game an less gear dependent game the one being attacked has a chance of taking out some of the attackers.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    See I come from SWG were you open world pvp because you want to. You could have run around in pvp mode or pve mode so unless you were running in pvp mode you didnt have to worry about being ganked.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Resillence Stat stacking destroys PVP. defeats the entire purpose of it. once seen a decked out orc warrior survive 6 guys unloading on him. druids were the same in bear form. other games keep trying to add some type of stat like resilence. i mean you got healers let them support heal remove that shit stat.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Caldrin

1. It is forced on all players in the open world I.E. Darkfall, Vanguard, Shadowbane

This here the best best exacmple of pvp and how it should be in all pvp type games.

2. PvP specific gear

This is silly yes

Yes BGs have no place in a MMORPG game.

Should not exist.

What?

For me the best type of PVP is the stuff you see in Darkfall and others similar to it, all this instanced BG stuff is just pointless if I wanted to play that type of game i would be playing mount and blade. I want my mmorpgs to have massive open sandbox worlds with full on PVP and full loot.. after all mmorpgs are suppose to be massive in scale..

The devs of Darkfall are planning on slowing PvP down and adding momentum-based mechanics. 

(just sayin)

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Resillence Stat stacking destroys PVP. defeats the entire purpose of it. once seen a decked out orc warrior survive 6 guys unloading on him. druids were the same in bear form. other games keep trying to add some type of stat like resilence. i mean you got healers let them support heal remove that shit stat.  

There are no PvP games which use this mechanic, thank god

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

[mod edit]

-The MMO Forum Community

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

PvP in a game that has PvE mechanics has never been that much fun to me. If you like the PvE mechanics. You probably won't like them used in PvP. Same would be the case (probably) if the game mechanics were designed FOR PvP and then applied to PvE. Frankly, I am not sure why they even put PvP in a PvE game or vis versa.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The devs of Darkfall are planning on slowing PvP down and adding momentum-based mechanics. 

(just sayin)

Yeah I know just not sure where he was getting the general number of 50% from? did he mean PVP in every games needs to be reduced by 50%? Hell PVP in Mortal online would be real slow then.. LOL

Some games do need to be a bit slower.. Darkfall being a good example.. but not 50% slower

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    PvP will always be a issue if you dont make servers for care bears its a simple thing to fix most people are like the OP scared bad children who get upset when things are not fair balanced or easy. PvP gear in most games is there to give u the edge over pve players and visa versa that is just how the world sense WoW introduced the crack head system. Just make a server with the OPS rule set and BAM no one care bear crying post like this one. As for the rest of the world who understands that the gaming world is very similiar to the real world "not fair" you learn to deal adapt and over come or even move on. Your choice but pvp in most cases doesnt suck.
    Originally posted by Gruug

PvP in a game that has PvE mechanics has never been that much fun to me. If you like the PvE mechanics. You probably won't like them used in PvP. Same would be the case (probably) if the game mechanics were designed FOR PvP and then applied to PvE. Frankly, I am not sure why they even put PvP in a PvE game or vis versa.

Yeah kinda what i have been saying, and why i find a system like what gw1 had as great step up from using pve/pvp values for bothsides. Instead make abilities have two sets of values that are set for when you are doing pve comtent, and the other for pvp content, an that way you can balance them solely for either pve or pvp without unbalancing the other set of values for the other playstyle. Most of why you have pvp and pve mixed is that no everyone in the gaming playerbase is solely a pve or pvp player, with actually a large amount of them wantng to be able to do both snce they enjoy them both in good measure.Players that solely like either just pve or pvp content are actually quite rare an a small group of players compared to the players that like a mixture of both.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

2. PvP specific gear

IT'S MY OPINION:

BGs and Arenas are fine if the gear rewards only work in those events but should never be allowed in open world.

PvP should never be forced on anyone unless they "chose" to engage.

I see no reason for pvp specific gear

1. AGREED 100%.  Forced open world PvP doesnt work and leads to griefing and ganking, PvP should be consentual and segregated.

2. Plus I would add in PvP stats like Valor

3. same as #2

4. could of kept your list to 1 and 2 so so far.

5. disagree with this, movement is esential and promotes skill.

Seeing as your list could of been condensed to 2 items I wil ladd my own list of items on why PvP sucks.

1. TTK is skewed to the to fast side of the coin (TTK = time to kill)

2. the notion that CC effects is so important, Id much rather there be no CC and it take a person 30 secs to 1 min to die.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

PvP SUCKS because it's boring. PVP SUCKS because of WoW's precedent Battleground system and it's viral infection to other MMOs.

Redundant Warzones? I thought this was a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER game. There is nothing MASSIVE about small Counter-Strike-sized games.

PvP Gear = Stupidest idea I've ever heard. Battlegrounds are so boring that they need to provide this kind of incentive for people to play them. It's a lazy way to avoid having to actually knuckle down and do some real coding for meaning world pvp with proper sanctions to protect lowbies from max levelers.

PvP Sucks because it's almost always virtual socialism. Everything must be equal! Blah Blah. If I spend an entire month raiding for good gear and increasing my player skill, I should be able to bash the hell out of some weekend warrior.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

PvP SUCKS because it's boring. PVP SUCKS because of WoW's precedent Battleground system and it's viral infection to other MMOs. 

Redundant Warzones? I thought this was a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER game. There is nothing MASSIVE about small Counter-Strike-sized games.

PvP Gear = Stupidest idea I've ever heard. Battlegrounds are so boring that they need to provide this kind of incentive for people to play them. It's a lazy way to avoid having to actually knuckle down and do some real coding for meaning world pvp with proper sanctions to protect lowbies from max levelers.

PvP Sucks because it's almost always virtual socialism. Everything must be equal! Blah Blah. If I spend an entire month raiding for good gear and increasing my player skill, I should be able to bash the hell out of some weekend warrior. 

Eh?  WOW's BG/Arena system takes a step closer to pure PVP (the overwhelming choice of PVPers: PVP purely about skill and teamwork; no zerging; no progression advantage.)

Because it was closer to a pure PVP experience, it's been rather popular (but still nowhere near as popular as truly pure PVP.)

Nothing says instanced PVP can't be massive though.  (See Planetside 1, Planetside 2, and GW2.)  Although in all these examples the thing that separates them from bad world PVP is a population limit, so that more (ideally nearly all) battles are between even teams.  This makes player skill and teamwork matter more.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

2. PvP specific gear

IT'S MY OPINION:

BGs and Arenas are fine if the gear rewards only work in those events but should never be allowed in open world.

PvP should never be forced on anyone unless they "chose" to engage.

I see no reason for pvp specific gear

I only agree with 2, 3 and 4.

Number 1 does not apply to the majority of games, so your broad statement is not logical. PvP in most games are separate and not forced upon anyone. They are done in arenas or battlegrounds. Darkfall does have it, but its a PvP game... Shadowbane isn't around and Vanguard has no PvP (or does it? I could be mistaken). Why do you feel the minority of games with open PvP should be changed? You have so many others that aren't like that available! A vast amount actually. Most people like a nice safe game now a days (probably because of work/family), where only the mobs are their challenge.

Number 5... hit an miss in my opinion. I enjoy fast paced. But if slow as done right I'd probably enjoy that too.

Now as per your opinion on PvP not being forced upon people... boy are you in luck!!! Most games don't force PvP upon you. The problem we have is a loud group of people (most noticeably on MMORPG) feel that every single game should cater to one group of people and there is not a single reason to make a game for anyone else. 

PvP now a days is tacked on and half assed. I could not agree with you more about PvP specific gear. Its a lame attempt at getting people to repeat the same content over and over and over and over again. Which ties directly into what a ton of MMORPG users classify as end game. Hey, you guys got what you wanted! (not directed at the op at all).